The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I have one of Fuji`s best lenses in the 90mm f2, is the XF16mm f1.4 the other best lens ? As I have some money over from selling the 50-140mm and fancy having that 16mm.

Depends on what you want. Ignoring length (ie it would be useless for birds) the 16mm is up there as one of the best.

Think I will get one :)

Before you do, why not fix your 16-55 at 16mm and go out shooting just to make sure you really want to spend £££ on a prime lens which duplicates another focal length. (big rubber band will do the trick!)

Yes I know the 16 goes to F1.4 but if the field of view isn't really something you would use that often then you can give it a swerve.

Before you do, why not fix your 16-55 at 16mm and go out shooting just to make sure you really want to spend £££ on a prime lens which duplicates another focal length. (big rubber band will do the trick!)

Yes I know the 16 goes to F1.4 but if the field of view isn't really something you would use that often then you can give it a swerve.

Since having the 16-55mm I have used it quite a bit at 16mm for when indoors doing the gigs, but I won`t rush on it yet.

I don't really get the logic of RAW slot 1 and JPG Slot 2, unless you want to have longer higher speed bursts, which most of us amateurs don't, then I would suggest that RAW+JPG to both cards gives the most redundancy. Given that medium capacity cards (ie 64Gb) are quite cheap these days it seems rude not to. You now get two x 64Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 170Mb/s cards for less than £50 (from Amazon), I spent this 3 years ago and got two 95Mb/s cards - good value 3 years ago.

That will give 1100 (uncompressed) and 1599 (compressed) on X-T2/X-H1 and slightly less on X-T3

This way if you get a card failure then you still have both RAW and JPG

(I understand the logic of RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 when the slots run at different speeds, but this isn't the case from X-T2 onwards)
I’ve got my second card through today, so have been doing some testing:
  • When you are shooting raw to slot 1 and jpeg to slot 2 review zoom dependings on which slot you are replaying from. You can zoom further if you set slot 2 (jpeg) as replay slot.
  • Number of shots is limited by smallest capacity card. So sequential still only gives me 121 shots, despite 32GB card in slot 1. In raw/jpeg I get 545, but that goes up to 620 if I remove the 8GB card from slot 2.
Unless I get another larger card I will shoot raw to slot 1 and jpeg to slot 2, with replay from shot 2. It gives me some redundancy and also has the benefit of only importing one copy of each photo to my Mac, rather than both raw and jpeg as currently.

I’ve got my second card through today, so have been doing some testing:
  • When you are shooting raw to slot 1 and jpeg to slot 2 review zoom dependings on which slot you are replaying from. You can zoom further if you set slot 2 (jpeg) as replay slot.
  • Number of shots is limited by smallest capacity card. So sequential still only gives me 121 shots, despite 32GB card in slot 1. In raw/jpeg I get 545, but that goes up to 620 if I remove the 8GB card from slot 2.
Unless I get another larger card I will shoot raw to slot 1 and jpeg to slot 2, with replay from shot 2. It gives me some redundancy and also has the benefit of only importing one copy of each photo to my Mac, rather than both raw and jpeg as currently.

Useful info about the JPG review in camera, I never noticed as I've always shot RAW+JPG to each card.

You do have a choice about importing from the card to your computer, you can just import RAW or JPG or both, its not mandatory to do both!!!

I have one of Fuji`s best lenses in the 90mm f2, is the XF16mm f1.4 the other best lens ? As I have some money over from selling the 50-140mm and fancy having that 16mm.

I would just concentrate on the focal lengths that you like rather than 'best' lenses. For example I have the 90mm f2 as well, and it's a nice lens but ultimately it's one of my least used lenses. I use the 50-140 and 56 way more for the portrait your shots I see you post. The 16mm is also a good lens, but I just don't use that focal length so have never bothered with it.

What is it that you want to shoot? It's good advice to use your existing lens at 16mm to see if that works for you before dropping the cash on the prime. It seems a bit of a leap considering the type of shot you normally post in here.

Then again, this is photography, where does logic really come into it when buying new gear, fill your boots :D

I would just concentrate on the focal lengths that you like rather than 'best' lenses. For example I have the 90mm f2 as well, and it's a nice lens but ultimately it's one of my least used lenses. I use the 50-140 and 56 way more for the portrait your shots I see you post. The 16mm is also a good lens, but I just don't use that focal length so have never bothered with it.

What is it that you want to shoot? It's good advice to use your existing lens at 16mm to see if that works for you before dropping the cash on the prime. It seems a bit of a leap considering the type of shot you normally post in here.

Then again, this is photography, where does logic really come into it when buying new gear, fill your boots :D

I think for once I will just leave it with what I have, as don`t won`t to make a costly mistake plus I`m happy with the lenses I do have.

The 16 1.4 has always intrigued me too, I know the FL isn't one I use much for general purpose, but combined with that nice close focus ability I know I could make it work. I would need to have a longer prime along with. I might do this test with the 16-55 myself, keep it to 16mm for the day and see how I feel about it.

Totally agree with most of that.

George.

Useful info about the JPG review in camera, I never noticed as I've always shot RAW+JPG to each card.

You do have a choice about importing from the card to your computer, you can just import RAW or JPG or both, its not mandatory to do both!!!
To choose you go into the menu in review mode.

How do you choose between raw and jpeg at import (ideally in Lightroom)?

I use a card reader to load image files onto my laptop, as soon as the folder opens I discard all Jpegs. I only shoot RAW + Jpeg for the zoom/check ability, never actually use the files.

I have folders set to separate file type so it takes just a second to highlight them all and delete

Beachy Head with Fuji XE1

ydkjG1p.jpg

Love that Dave. Hope you are getting a copy to them.

Great news, Roxi actually played at their wedding and asked me if she could send the photos to them as I`d posted them on my FB page, so the happy couple will now have them.

X-E3 + XF23mm f2 this afternoon at the new jazz pub that I will start to go to. I am also trying my style of at an angle for some of my jazz images now.

Jason and Dan by Dave, on Flickr

Jason and Dan by Dave, on Flickr[/QUO

Enjoyed looking at this set, looks like a great way to spend an afternoon :) Iam never brave enough to look at angles

Flickr is being an ass again, had trouble both uploading last night, and then trying to add images to groups or even link them, but a few from the week from me with the X-H1 and 16-55

Blackwater Mill by K G, on Flickr

Goggles by K G, on Flickr

Stranger Things by K G, on Flickr

Three great images Keith, but the last shot of the little girl is fantastic imo. To me it tells a story of a young girl all alone and scared, a great image indeed.

Three great images Keith, but the last shot of the little girl is fantastic imo. To me it tells a story of a young girl all alone and scared, a great image indeed.

You're not far wrong, she's sat out in the corridor watching the tv through a doorway, there was a part of the program she was nervous about but insisted on still seeing it from a safer distance :) I did mood it up a lot

Back