The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Does anyone here ever get tempted for the GFX50R medium format..? I could afford the body but would struggle to purchase the dedicated lenses if I'm honest...

mac

Would you though?

Looking at Wex they aren't massively more than G master 2.8 zooms - and in some cases less.

Fuji have to be commended for this and their system looks incredible.

Fellow Fuji lovers, I need your help again.

A few pages back I asked for some advice regarding transferring files from my XT-30 to my phone through Fuji’s native app. I was very kindly pointed to a work around for this problem.

My question today surrounds whether or not I should trade in/up my XT-30 for an XT-4.

For the past year I have been building a client base within the hospitality industry as a food photographer and social media marketer. (We’re called Lost in Cheshire, shameless plug). The XT-30 has been able to perform beautifully as food photography tends to be a little more relaxed and easy paced.

My quandary; Of late, I have sort of joined forces with a very large PR agency as their photographer (and my partner as their videographer). This work involves shooting portraits on location of their clients, products and when lockdown lifts/social distancing is relaxed they will need an events photographer.

Today on location with our celebrity client my little XT-30 couldn’t really keep up. I have been using CL/CH mode as I like to get people to move freely while I shoot. The XT-30 started strong but then started to drip slowly, shot by shot. Which forced me to pull out my iPhone because “I wanted to see what it looked like”. At least that’s what I told the client, in my head I’m screaming, “DONT YOU DARE DIE ON ME”.

My question really is this: Does the XT4 have more ‘oomf’? Able to last longer? I know I’ll already benefit from the enhanced auto focus as I’m missing a lot of eye focus on XT30.

I also have questions regarding lens’ but I feel I’ve been wittering enough already. Would love some guidance from you lovely people [emoji16]

I'm pretty sure an X-T3 will keep up without problem. Your post made me curious so I just tested how my set up (XT-3 shooting compressed raw to 2 x 95MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro cards - 2nd card backing up first) would handle extended CL. It fired off 85 shots before slowing down which is going to be plenty. This is far better than my old D800 would have managed. I tried firing at a more civilised rate one a second or two and didn't hit the buffer at all. I suspect that shooting jpeg would mean you'd never hit the buffer in CL, not that I'd shoot portraits or events in CL.

If I was making your decision, I'd go for the X-T3 rather than and X-T4 because I much prefer the way the screen tilts in portrait mode not to mention the big cost saving. In fact, that's exactly what I did. Btw, if you are going to be shooting a lot of portraits be sure to get a battery grip.

Thinking of getting the X-S10, as I like its size and design. Debating if I should get the 16-80 with it or not. I was originally going to get the lensless model (or maybe the 15-45 as only £50 and 15mm might be fun) and then pair it with a 35mm 1.4 or 2 for indoors, general use and the 55-200mm for when out walking with kids, taking photos of birds from kitchen window ;). There's a 55-200 promo that makes it cheaper than used, which is convenient. However, now starting to wonder if I'd be better off with the 16-80, as a more general purpose lens.

Used market for 16-80 isn’t as good as 18-55 so better off buying as part of the kit. All in all about same prices overall.
Have the X100F which has effectively been my only camera for past three years and really like it but sometimes wish I had a little more reach. Used to have Nikon D7200 with 18-200, which whilst heavy was nice for walks and even in the garden.

Guess I could always sell it if I change my mind!

Thinking of getting the X-S10, as I like its size and design. Debating if I should get the 16-80 with it or not. I was originally going to get the lensless model (or maybe the 15-45 as only £50 and 15mm might be fun) and then pair it with a 35mm 1.4 or 2 for indoors, general use and the 55-200mm for when out walking with kids, taking photos of birds from kitchen window ;). There's a 55-200 promo that makes it cheaper than used, which is convenient. However, now starting to wonder if I'd be better off with the 16-80, as a more general purpose lens.

Used market for 16-80 isn’t as good as 18-55 so better off buying as part of the kit. All in all about same prices overall.
Have the X100F which has effectively been my only camera for past three years and really like it but sometimes wish I had a little more reach. Used to have Nikon D7200 with 18-200, which whilst heavy was nice for walks and even in the garden.

Guess I could always sell it if I change my mind!
I've never had the 18-55 as I got the 16-80 for the same reason you are wanting it, being versatile. Although it is only f4, I really love the lens and find it sharp enough too. I did have the 55-200 but have sold that now as waiting for the new 70-300 (and I have the Viltrox 85mm which I also love!).

Looking at picking up either the X-T3 or X-S10 on Friday, waiting to see if any discounts happen during BF.

Really loving the way Fuji pictures are looking.

Looking at picking up either the X-T3 or X-S10 on Friday, waiting to see if any discounts happen during BF.

Really loving the way Fuji pictures are looking.

Maybe something for X-T3 but I think the X-S10 is too new...

I think I have a bad case of GAS!

Having looked through my hard drive today I notice most of my shots are taken around the 23mm focal length when I had the 18-55 and more recently with the Viltrox 23mm F1.4.

I instantly let the idea enter my mind that I could sell my XT2 and the Viltrox 23mm & 33mm and buy a used X100F.

The thought of an X100F as a more pocketable and still capable camera is appealing.
Am I mad in my thinking, if so help talk me out of it.
:eek:

Having looked through my hard drive today I notice most of my shots are taken around the 23mm focal length when I had the 18-55 and more recently with the Viltrox 23mm F1.4.

I instantly let the idea enter my mind that I could sell my XT2 and the Viltrox 23mm & 33mm and buy a used X100F.

The thought of an X100F as a more pocketable and still capable camera is appealing.

The F is my most used camera - probably the one I’d sell last - does that help

Apparently the X-T3 with it's recent Fuji firmware updates is meant to be lightening fast....!

Outstanding value.

mac
I found it to be a great improvement, but don't have a T4 to compare it with.

If you’re happly with a single focal length the X100f is a brilliant camera and can be bought for a great price nowadays.

Last edited:
Bit of a Christmas treat, bought a Zhongyi (Mitakon) 35mm f0.95 II which arrived today. Instantly fell in love despite not moving from my desk yet...

35mm f0.95 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

That, the 50mm 1.0 and 90mm f2 will be my three lens setup from now on.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure an X-T3 will keep up without problem. Your post made me curious so I just tested how my set up (XT-3 shooting compressed raw to 2 x 95MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro cards - 2nd card backing up first) would handle extended CL. It fired off 85 shots before slowing down which is going to be plenty. This is far better than my old D800 would have managed. I tried firing at a more civilised rate one a second or two and didn't hit the buffer at all. I suspect that shooting jpeg would mean you'd never hit the buffer in CL, not that I'd shoot portraits or events in CL.

If I was making your decision, I'd go for the X-T3 rather than and X-T4 because I much prefer the way the screen tilts in portrait mode not to mention the big cost saving. In fact, that's exactly what I did. Btw, if you are going to be shooting a lot of portraits be sure to get a battery grip.

Thank you so much.

I’m holding out for Black Friday deals. Let’s see what’s about!

Really appreciate your advice.

I’m having a similar dilemma. I had a X100T and the WCL a few years back and loved the images, the b&ws etc. But sold it as I felt the fixed lens and screen was too restrictive.

wind forward to 2020 and I buy an e-m10.2 with a 17mm f1.8 ( and a FE + 12-32 ). But I’m still in x100 series “want” mode ( as often happens ).

Not sure whether to stick with what I have, sell the em10 and get a em1.2 or sell it all for a F and V :help:

Back