weekly Thirsty's TP 52 challenge for 2016 - Week 52 Celebration

Love that bee in flight. :clap:

The Flora is nice, good green BG but the DOF is very shallow.

Hi Nigel.
A bit of a catch up for me too, comment wise...

Entry - An interesting looking lump, good detail and I think the B&W processing suits it.
Size - Nice bit of motion blur, the capture of the exhaust is especially good.
Forgotten - I kind of wish the DoF was a bit deeper as the bunch top centre could have done with being more in focus. Those in focus do pop out of the image nicely :)
Stone - This to me is the best of your first four. Your use of the DoF give the shot a spooky, ethereal look to the background (y)
Simply - You'd not get me going that close to those blighters. I'm surprised that it only took 1/1000th to freeze the wings.
Signs - I keep looking at that shot and thinking 'Meg'. I think it needs a bit of interest in the sky to give it additional interest, it's a bit samey (but that's just me).
Flora - Nice image, but I think it's crying out for a bit of focus stacking (if you have the software available).

Hi Nigel,

entry - I like that one, works well in B&W and I like the slightly OOF people in the background
size - good panning, and of course it’s all about the engine, but I think I would prefer the entire car in the frame
forgotten - nice DoF, but maybe the second branch that’s only slightly OOF distracts a little
stone - works well in B&W
simple - the bee captured mid flight is a great photo!
flora - nice colours, good DoF, although maybe be I would have it preferred not that shallow…

My favourites of these six are entry and of course simple!

bit of a catch up from me
Entry good image for the theme and the b/w suits it
Size - good sense of speed and movement, I like the burst of flame too
Forgotten - very pretty shame a few more aren't in focus
Stone - the b/w conversion makes it look misty behind the stone
Simple - good focus on the Bee.
Signs - different but right on them.
Flora - good Dof and I like the colours

Hi Nigel.
A bit of a catch up for me too, comment wise...

Entry - An interesting looking lump, good detail and I think the B&W processing suits it.
Size - Nice bit of motion blur, the capture of the exhaust is especially good.
Forgotten - I kind of wish the DoF was a bit deeper as the bunch top centre could have done with being more in focus. Those in focus do pop out of the image nicely :)
Stone - This to me is the best of your first four. Your use of the DoF give the shot a spooky, ethereal look to the background (y)
Simply - You'd not get me going that close to those blighters. I'm surprised that it only took 1/1000th to freeze the wings.
Signs - I keep looking at that shot and thinking 'Meg'. I think it needs a bit of interest in the sky to give it additional interest, it's a bit samey (but that's just me).
Flora - Nice image, but I think it's crying out for a bit of focus stacking (if you have the software available).

Thanks for the comments Tim.

Hi Nigel,

entry - I like that one, works well in B&W and I like the slightly OOF people in the background
size - good panning, and of course it’s all about the engine, but I think I would prefer the entire car in the frame
forgotten - nice DoF, but maybe the second branch that’s only slightly OOF distracts a little
stone - works well in B&W
simple - the bee captured mid flight is a great photo!
flora - nice colours, good DoF, although maybe be I would have it preferred not that shallow…

My favourites of these six are entry and of course simple!

Thanks for your comments, I was pleased with the Bee shot :)

bit of a catch up from me
Entry good image for the theme and the b/w suits it
Size - good sense of speed and movement, I like the burst of flame too
Forgotten - very pretty shame a few more aren't in focus
Stone - the b/w conversion makes it look misty behind the stone
Simple - good focus on the Bee.
Signs - different but right on them.
Flora - good Dof and I like the colours

And Thank you Minx for comments as well, forgotten one of my best shots but see what you mean :).

On theme Nigel, and beautifully sharp.
Can't really fault it except is it perhaps a little tightly cropped at the the bottom? Perhaps getting the shadow in too would have been an idea? - Dunno, just pondering out loud.

On theme Nigel, and beautifully sharp.
Can't really fault it except is it perhaps a little tightly cropped at the the bottom? Perhaps getting the shadow in too would have been an idea? - Dunno, just pondering out loud.

Hi Tim, was a nightmare to shot people every where (hence the tight crop) and I only had my 100mm macro lens so it's the best comp I could get... so know what you mean it's abit meh..... :)

Great minds Nigel - my first attempt was of a figure of Morgot Fontaine in mid-pirouette. Nicely lit and good use of DoF to isolate the figure.

Hi Tim, was a nightmare to shot people every where (hence the tight crop) and I only had my 100mm macro lens so it's the best comp I could get... so know what you mean it's abit meh..... :)
Hmm, actually I don't find it 'meh', it's an interesting shot. I was really struggling for something other that "good shot" because, well... it is a good shot :)

Hmm, actually I don't find it 'meh', it's an interesting shot. I was really struggling for something other that "good shot" because, well... it is a good shot :)

Thanks Tim, as you can gather I'm not overly happy with it, but glad you liked it :)

Great minds Nigel - my first attempt was of a figure of Morgot Fontaine in mid-pirouette. Nicely lit and good use of DoF to isolate the figure.

Thanks Carl, was luck really just happened to come across them while out today :).

Fits the theme for me Nigel some lovely light and the DoF really works for me I agree with tim maybe seeing the shaddow would of added to the image in some way

Activity - fits the theme although it's a sculpture... great DoF and light, but I agree with Tim that I would like it a bit less tightly cropped at the bottom.

Excellent takes, all four. Like the DoF in Life and the sharp detail for Fauna best. Well done on the catch-up. :clap:

Four really good shots for the themes - great catch up. Life is a very classy looking shot - straight out of a lifestyle magazine! I love the idea for hidden and the grass across the grasshopper really adds to the theme. I think I might have preferred the statue clear of the grass though - I find it a bit distracting. That's a wonderfully detailed shot of the marbled white and great composition. I finally got a shot of one of these myself yesterday - they've been so flighty I've spent ages chasing them to no avail! Mine wasn't in as good condition as yours though - beautiful!

Excellent takes, all four. Like the DoF in Life and the sharp detail for Fauna best. Well done on the catch-up. :clap:

Thanks Carl, was pleased with this set, just wish I could keep up :).

A great catch up, Life and Lone are my favourites.

Thanks Clive.

Great catch up Nigel I like Modern Life

Thanks Mark, that's one of my favorites too :)

Four really good shots for the themes - great catch up. Life is a very classy looking shot - straight out of a lifestyle magazine! I love the idea for hidden and the grass across the grasshopper really adds to the theme. I think I might have preferred the statue clear of the grass though - I find it a bit distracting. That's a wonderfully detailed shot of the marbled white and great composition. I finally got a shot of one of these myself yesterday - they've been so flighty I've spent ages chasing them to no avail! Mine wasn't in as good condition as yours though - beautiful!

Thanks Emma, I wasn't 100% sure about the grass being there as well and had thought of using it for hidden :). If you like butterfly's check out my flickr page, a load there from the weekend :).

Great catch up Nigel - Tough job isn't it !!!

I just love that modern life pic, it sure is inclusive of very popular activities, and one of my fav treats still at the moment (Coffee and Cake, not Apple tech) nicely grouped products... and do you have cake to spare :D

Nigel, I like all four of your catch up, favourite has to be the statue followed by the butterfly. The cake likes seriously like a carrot cake my favourite !

Great catch up Nigel - Tough job isn't it !!!

I just love that modern life pic, it sure is inclusive of very popular activities, and one of my fav treats still at the moment (Coffee and Cake, not Apple tech) nicely grouped products... and do you have cake to spare :D

Thanks DK, I was fine keeping up till I got a job..... Oh and I'm not one for sharing my cake.... :).

Nigel, I like all four of your catch up, favourite has to be the statue followed by the butterfly. The cake likes seriously like a carrot cake my favourite !

Thanks Chris.

All good Nigel. (y)

The Lone statue being my fave ... I love the subject ... beautifully captured.

Active - good sharp shot and just right for the theme
Life - a modern still life good thinking
Hidden - Great shot good Dof and well spotted.
Lone - I like the pov lovely image
Fauna - Another great shot.

All good Nigel. (y)

The Lone statue being my fave ... I love the subject ... beautifully captured.

Thanks David.

Active - good sharp shot and just right for the theme
Life - a modern still life good thinking
Hidden - Great shot good Dof and well spotted.
Lone - I like the pov lovely image
Fauna - Another great shot.

Thanks Minx.

Hi Nigel ...a great catch up and very difficult to choose a favorite but I think it has to be Modern Life ...a really super shot, and an excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie, think life i my fav out of the lot too :)

Life - Great presentation of the coffee, without the cars in the background that could make a good product shot.
Hidden - Well camouflaged and seems well focused (though I can't be 100% on that). I don't find it inspiring though, sorry.
Lone - I can see it's not possible, but I would have liked the statue against the darker background of the trees/bushes.

Back