weekly Tillys 52 for 2018 Week 29 Round

Nice colourful image for bright I like the slight reflection
Bit closer for elegant would have been nice but good OoF BG to isolate it

Agree about Bright ^^^^ Nicely done.

Elegant isn't working for me much though. It's a bit small, a bit "middly" and well... not very elagant for me.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. I'd taken one closer in but wasn't sure about it. I'll have another go at it tomorrow and post my results

I can't comment on the extension tube thing (never used them) but the flower looks sharp I think. Good use of DoF to try to keep the somewhat flower cluttered background as minimally distracting as possible. But the slightly tired looking leaf in the bottom left spoils (for me) what would be a good image. I don't know if there is a better crop out there to get rid of it maybe?

Bright - I like that Tilly, but them I'm a sucker for vibrant images.
I like how you've got the balls placed in water, rather than on a desk and thus have the shadows.
Perhaps a spot or two to clone out?

Elegant - Another bright vibrant image, but I'm not seeing the flower as sharp (perhaps only a small part of it).
I've never used extension tubes, so I wouldn't know 'owt about how hard it is.

Week 27 Derelict
Spent the wee looking for something for this theme but ended up back with the first thing that came to mind when I saw the theme. I would have preferred the processed image not to have been as bright but I loose the detail within the building if I go any darker so had to make a compromise
Derelict by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment Stan, I'll have another look at this one when I'm next in my computer and post my results :)

Bright is a cracking shot, Tilly - lots of super bold colours and nice reflections in the water. I agree with some of the earlier comments that Elegant could do with being closer or cropped as it's a lovely flower, but as it was your first outing with extension tubes you were probably more concerned with focus :) That's an ideal subject for Derelict and good that you can see the holes and damage to the structure, and I think Stan is right that you could possibly tweak the highlights and contrast a touch (y)

Derelict
It's well composed, I think you could go darker (don't be afraid to post a couple of images of the same thing, with slight differences).

Thanks Dom

My particular favourites are Bright a really good shot, Rural a quintessentially British rural shot well composed and executed and Bright is a stunner for the subject I really like it.

Elegant, I do not know if its just me but it does not look in focus if I am honest.

Derelict, agree with your self critique.

Synethetic - I found this a hard subject as well. Nice details on the tyre, was the forks and brakes nessecary in the Image, cropping them out and the end of the OOF wall may improve it.

Rural - Nice details in the clouds and trees.I also think the church may be too central. I would try moving over to the left a bit, so the church is more to the left of the image, but a see a red thing on the right which might show too much. You could also try over to the right and hopefully get more of the church showing through the trees. Not being there it's difficult to see wht you did at the time.

Bright - looks much better on Flickr, top job.

Elegant - nice flower but soft, leaf intruding in the bottom left appears sharper. I think you need more practice with your extention tubes. Did you use a tripod?

Derelict - image on flickr shows better contrast, do not be afraid to get close and reduce the exposure range(i.e no sky).

Thanks for the advice Pete, I'll post my results when I've had chance to reprocess them

Perhaps take the shot at a different time of the day?
If you're struggling with the brightness of the sky vs the dark of the building, then perhaps re-shoot at dusk / low light with a tripod, that way you don't need to balance the light and dark anywhere near as much in pp.
Obviously, I don't know it that's possible, but it would be my suggestion rather than going into heavy PP.

Thanks for the advice Tim

Hey guys, I've had another look at my shots for Rural and Derelict and this is what I've come up with. I do prefer this version of Derelict but I'm not sure about the crop I've done on my Rural shot. Any comments would be appreciated as always
Derelict re-edit by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Rural re-crop by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Week 28 Home & Week 29 Round
I tried to get a shot of my Google Home but decided that it wasn't very photogenic so went for a walk around my village got this. I was struggling to think of something for round and then while standing in my garden I realized that I was surrounded by round poppy heads. I did 2 different crops of the shot as I couldn't decide which I liked best. Comments and advice are welcome as always
Home by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Round by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Round 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Hi Tilly,

Home - I'm left wondering if there was a different angle, without the road. That said, the plainness of the road allows the stone to stand out. Other angles may have been more busy.

Road - Tighter crop for me. In the wider shot you have a black monolith (for want of a better word) intruding from the left with some strange blobs on it.

"home" I think like @LC2 a different angle maybe using the road as a nice line through the pic but as Tim says other angles might not be possible
"round" it s blown out top at the top of the seed head so losing a lot of detail, the second would be the better composition

Home
A wider shot could possibly be a better shot. I agree with the others about a different angle.
Round
The second is the better of the two, it's a little bright on top though.

You probably don't need someone else to make the same comment on Home ;)

Second poppy head for me because the poppy is more dominant.

Thanks for the comments guys, helpful as ever. I could have shot home from a different angle but it might still have looked as busy in the background. It did look a lot busier before I cloned out the bus stop that was right behind the stone.
I admit I messed up on round, I spent too much time looking at the top yellow part of the poppy head and didn't notice how bright it was below it.

Hi Tilly

Your 2nd attempt at derelict has far nicer colours, but the sky is still washed out.
I think your rural shot is a far better crop for me.

Home - not inspiring me much, I think the stone is ok, but most of the other stuff lets it down, the soil around the stone, the weeds and long grass behind it. Maybe taken from a different angle, but the background could be worse I suppose.

Round - I prefer the first version with more detail in the OOF background. the poppy head is also sharper.

Pete

Week 30 Cooking & 31 Short
Trying to catch up as I've had a busy few weeks and not much inspiration for the themes so I've had to make do with what I found while camping last week. I'll hopefully catch up with the other themes by the end of the week so I can concentrate on 1 theme at a time and hopefully get some better results :)
Cooking by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Short by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Cooking, that is a lot of sausages hope they were not all for you,:) well composed shot, on theme, exposure spot on, like the DOF, only distracting thing are the silver bars in the bottom left corner, not sure you could do anything about that and still keep the cooker controls in.

Short, lovely little pony, I might of cropped it a bit more with the pony less centre of the picture and taken out the white wall entirely, the fence, gate and garden give an interesting background and show the relative size of the pony.

Thanks for the comments Roger. I wasn't sure how to crop the shot of the pony so thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at it when I get chance and see how it looks.
I hadn't noticed my tongues at the bottom of the shot when I took it I was too busy looking at my sausages . I'll have another look at that one too and see what I come up with

Cooking

Not much to say that Roger hasn't already said.

Short

Shame about the background, it's a bit messy, not a lot you could do about it though. The pony is well exposed, the whites aren't blown, you can see some nice detail in the hair.

mmmmm salmonella sticks, I don't mind the composition but would have liked to see the sausages a bit more cooked, I agree with the above about short BG a bit messy, less DoF might have helped.

Tilly

Cooking - on theme and feeding the five thousand is a noble thing to do. Dof is ok as is the colour. Maybe a tad less exposure on top of sausages. Re the cropping problems, did you take many images, as one from another direction may have helped.

Short - a Short legged horse, nice find. I find the background distracting maybe moving a bit to your left may have helped. Using DOF to put it OOF. Fact is it was there, Take your time and look carefully what you can see in the veiwfinder, concentrate less on the main subject. I just think you need to move around the pony to get the best bit of the backround in and/or the worst bits out. Everything else is good.

Pete

Thanks for the comments guys the comments and advice are appreciated as always. I'll have another look at the shots I took and see if I have any from better angles

Hi Tilly,

Cooking - Barely defrosted more like ;) I hope you cooked them slowly. Certainly on theme, and nicely focused on the closest of the sausages with suitably shallow DoF to remove distractions. Can't complain :)
Short - I'm going to fall into the distracting BG camp too, but nicely exposed, nice and sharp subject and the contrast in colour between the pony and the background does allow them to stand out sufficiently.

I agree with the above really, closer in on the sausages after more cooking.

Week 34 Dark
I know I've missed a few weeks but hopefully I'll be able to add them in when I get the shots. I've struggled to come up with anything for the last few themes but I'll add them when I do. This was the first time I've used my camera at night so any comments and advice would be welcome as always. It was taken looking down the street outside my house
Dark by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with it as a night shot lighting wise for me, I am a bit lost as to what the subject of the photos is, a person, cat, dog, etc might give it more purpose?

I agree with Chris it just lacks a subject, you have done well with the light.

Back