weekly Awesomekid's 52 for 2015- Week 7 Bold added

Hi, Jenny and welcome. White balance looks a little out in your bliss but chocolate, always blissful :)

Fragile, cracking idea and good lighting, the shadows work well. Having the first first domino falling would have added to it, but on theme, nonetheless.

Cheers.

Hi, Jenny and welcome. White balance looks a little out in your bliss but chocolate, always blissful :)

Fragile, cracking idea and good lighting, the shadows work well. Having the first first domino falling would have added to it, but on theme, nonetheless.

Cheers.

Yeah, I had trouble getting the white balance right as the light I was using made the photo look quite orange.

Thank you, I tried getting the domino's falling but I couldn't get the domino to fall and then take the picture at the right time.

Hi Jenny, great ideas for the themes. chocolate is definitely my idea of bliss too. I think the focusing may be a little off on your first shot, but you nailed it on your second. Great composition and it works really well in black and white.

Hi Jenny, great ideas for the themes. chocolate is definitely my idea of bliss too. I think the focusing may be a little off on your first shot, but you nailed it on your second. Great composition and it works really well in black and white.
Thank you :)

Hi Jenny - Welcome to the 52 of 2015 :)

Bliss - The lighting isn't that even, but that doesn't take away from a nice chocolatey product image, I think a light twist of the packet so not dead straight would help a bit too :)

Fragile - Really like this, well set up, well lit, liking the low point of view and the shadows, great idea, no crit from me on this one :clap:

Hi Jenny - Welcome to the 52 of 2015 :)

Bliss - The lighting isn't that even, but that doesn't take away from a nice chocolatey product image, I think a light twist of the packet so not dead straight would help a bit too :)

Fragile - Really like this, well set up, well lit, liking the low point of view and the shadows, great idea, no crit from me on this one :clap:

Okay, I will try that.

Thank you! :)

Hey Jenny!
Bliss - choccy buttons, everyone loves em! [emoji4] as mentioned focus and WB are a touch out but I like the way you've presented the buttons.

fragile - works really well in B&W! Nice focusing and DoF. Once again, you're composition of the shot is really nice too. Good job!

Hi, Bliss, good idea but the presentation and focus issues let it down
Fragile, thats really nice, good composition and the lighting and focus are so much better, good work(y)

Hey Jenny!
Bliss - choccy buttons, everyone loves em! [emoji4] as mentioned focus and WB are a touch out but I like the way you've presented the buttons.

fragile - works really well in B&W! Nice focusing and DoF. Once again, you're composition of the shot is really nice too. Good job!
Thank you, I am going to re-try the bliss photo.

Hi, Bliss, good idea but the presentation and focus issues let it down
Fragile, thats really nice, good composition and the lighting and focus are so much better, good work(y)

OK. Junior member talking about white balance.... So there's one to watch!

The choccies look like they're out of focus, but I get the "Bliss" thing.

The dominoes though for "fragile". What a great bit of lateral thinking. It's a lovely shot with deep contrast and made for B&W. One afterthought I had was that using dominoes where the numbers lined up would be an added touch. So using "all doubles" or all "fives". Not sure if that's helpful, but it's a great start to a 52.

Hi Jenny and welcome to the 52!
Bliss - as said by others white balance is a little off but I like the way you have arranged the chocolate buttons.
Fragile - a great idea and well executed!

I look forward to seeing your shots this year!

Hi Jenny, I'll echo everyone else with regards to the bliss photo, some white balance adjustment would help.

Great idea for fragile. I never would have thought of dominos being associated with the them but you have managed do it :)

OK. Junior member talking about white balance.... So there's one to watch!

The choccies look like they're out of focus, but I get the "Bliss" thing.

The dominoes though for "fragile". What a great bit of lateral thinking. It's a lovely shot with deep contrast and made for B&W. One afterthought I had was that using dominoes where the numbers lined up would be an added touch. So using "all doubles" or all "fives". Not sure if that's helpful, but it's a great start to a 52.

Hi Ian,

Thank you! I may try doing that and seeing if that helps the image.

Hi Jenny and welcome to the 52!
Bliss - as said by others white balance is a little off but I like the way you have arranged the chocolate buttons.
Fragile - a great idea and well executed!

I look forward to seeing your shots this year!
Hi Sarah,
Thank you!

Hi Jenny, I'll echo everyone else with regards to the bliss photo, some white balance adjustment would help.

Great idea for fragile. I never would have thought of dominos being associated with the them but you have managed do it :)
Hi Rob,
Yeah, I'm going to have a re-shoot of the image and try and sort out the white balance.
Thank you! My original idea was to have a tower of cards, but that proved hard to even make so I did my second idea of domino's instead.

White balance and focus has been mentioned on the Bliss shot but the Fragile image is a whole new ball game. Great idea, great PoV and the use of a mono conversion suits it well.

Hi Jenny & welcome aboard :wave:

A great start to your project ...particularly like the Fragile shot..,well laid out ,spot on focus 7 use of depth of field, quite even lighting & good shadows from the dominoes....(y)

Hi Jenny... welcome!

Now, I was all ready to be very "warm & friendly" about your first shot as you're new to this challenge and we all like to be supportive to anyone joining :)

But then I saw your second photo and thought, "wow, she can take brilliant photos!" So I'm going to be a bit more direct on the first one, because you're clearly very capable as a photographer. Starting with the positive, bliss is on theme... but... I find the buttons and some of the text on the packet slightly out of focus (could be my eyes!) or perhaps camera shake and it all feels a bit flat, perhaps because you've placed them on a surface, pointed the camera down towards them and taken a shot. The lighting also doesn't, in my opinion, really help the image, especially how the bottom left of the packet is a lot darker.

So, a few opportunities to tweak this first shot to make it stronger: (i) perhaps create more of an angled composition, using distance from the camera as a visible dimension (so you could have the buttons further away than the packet, or nearer, which gives you depth of field as a tool to play with); (ii) nail the focus and eliminate camera shake: use back button focusing on the former and perhaps a faster shutter (or tripod) to eliminate the latter; and (iii) use softer lighting - window lighting on an overcast day is a great natural softbox which you can "position" for these sorts of shots by moving the subject and camera relative to the fixed window (rather than trying to move the window!)

But enough about image #1. Image #2 is absolutely super for Fragile! I love your composition, processing/conversion and it is genuinely a top quality shot for me. With maybe a tiny crop off the top, I'd happily hang this on my wall and I don't say that about many shots. Your lighting works really, really well for me: you've captured some great texture on the nearest dominoes, I like the shadows falling towards camera from those yet the rear dominos are a lot softer in terms of shadow, which works well. Your depth of field choice works really well here. Even the proximity of the far dominoes to the wall is inspired: I'd have defaulted to pull it back and try to lose the edge between surface and wall but it actually adds something to the photo and because you've handled the shadows so well, there are no distracting shadows falling on the wall, despite the closeness (there are some light shadows but works for me).

I love shot 2 and think it's absolutely top drawer, wall hanging material :clap:

Hi Jenny & welcome aboard :wave:

A great start to your project ...particularly like the Fragile shot..,well laid out ,spot on focus 7 use of depth of field, quite even lighting & good shadows from the dominoes....(y)
Hi Lynne, thank you! :)

Hi Jenny... welcome!

Now, I was all ready to be very "warm & friendly" about your first shot as you're new to this challenge and we all like to be supportive to anyone joining :)

But then I saw your second photo and thought, "wow, she can take brilliant photos!" So I'm going to be a bit more direct on the first one, because you're clearly very capable as a photographer. Starting with the positive, bliss is on theme... but... I find the buttons and some of the text on the packet slightly out of focus (could be my eyes!) or perhaps camera shake and it all feels a bit flat, perhaps because you've placed them on a surface, pointed the camera down towards them and taken a shot. The lighting also doesn't, in my opinion, really help the image, especially how the bottom left of the packet is a lot darker.

So, a few opportunities to tweak this first shot to make it stronger: (i) perhaps create more of an angled composition, using distance from the camera as a visible dimension (so you could have the buttons further away than the packet, or nearer, which gives you depth of field as a tool to play with); (ii) nail the focus and eliminate camera shake: use back button focusing on the former and perhaps a faster shutter (or tripod) to eliminate the latter; and (iii) use softer lighting - window lighting on an overcast day is a great natural softbox which you can "position" for these sorts of shots by moving the subject and camera relative to the fixed window (rather than trying to move the window!)

But enough about image #1. Image #2 is absolutely super for Fragile! I love your composition, processing/conversion and it is genuinely a top quality shot for me. With maybe a tiny crop off the top, I'd happily hang this on my wall and I don't say that about many shots. Your lighting works really, really well for me: you've captured some great texture on the nearest dominoes, I like the shadows falling towards camera from those yet the rear dominos are a lot softer in terms of shadow, which works well. Your depth of field choice works really well here. Even the proximity of the far dominoes to the wall is inspired: I'd have defaulted to pull it back and try to lose the edge between surface and wall but it actually adds something to the photo and because you've handled the shadows so well, there are no distracting shadows falling on the wall, despite the closeness (there are some light shadows but works for me).

I love shot 2 and think it's absolutely top drawer, wall hanging material :clap:

Hiya Paul,

Thank you for the compliments and for the very helpful feedback in ideas for improving my picture of the chocolate buttons.

Thanks again,
Jenny. :)

Hi Jenny and welcome .... Chocolate = bliss :) all the techy hits have been covered.

Love your idea for Fragile, very original 'thinking outside the box there ... Well done, composition, focus, shadows spot on.

Hi Susie,

Hi Jenny.

Fragile....Great take on the theme, very well thought of.

Companions....I like this. even though we see their backs, I get the feeling they're weary :)

Elegant....I like the held-up foot. Almost like it's saying "no pictures!"

Hi Jenny.

Fragile....Great take on the theme, very well thought of.

Companions....I like this. even though we see their backs, I get the feeling they're weary :)

Elegant....I like the held-up foot. Almost like it's saying "no pictures!"
Thank you! :)

Hi Jenny!

Companions - does fit the theme, horizon could be slightly straighter. I do like all their suitcases though

Elegant - good positioning of the swan, liking its head on that top third

Keep them coming!

Hi Jenny!

Companions - does fit the theme, horizon could be slightly straighter. I do like all their suitcases though

Elegant - good positioning of the swan, liking its head on that top third

Keep them coming!

Hiya Hazel,

Thanks, I did try to straighten this image in Photoshop however it didn't work.

Thanks again,
Jenny.

Hi Jenny

Companions - nice shot, fits the theme well

Elegant - swans are certainly elegant, and you've captured it well :)

"talk to the hand" :D

Thats a different angle on the swan theme (y)

Try a little levels boost, not too much or you'll lose the whites,
and a little sharpen too, as there is more detail to be found in there.

"talk to the hand" :D

Thats a different angle on the swan theme (y)

Try a little levels boost, not too much or you'll lose the whites,
and a little sharpen too, as there is more detail to be found in there.
I have edited this image with your suggestions, and think that it is better! Thank you.

Week 5- elegant edit
by Awesomekid on Talk Photography

Hi, Watery, interesting perspective. Looks a little green :thinking:

Cheers.
The water was quite green at the time! :)

Back