weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Hi Peter I really like that, its something I have tried but never had results as good as that :clap:
really good start to your 52
Thanks Allan

That is really good, I can't look at it for long though it makes my eyes hurt :clap:
LOL. Cheers Mark

Nice image great effect well done
Thanks Craig

Nicely done Peter, that works really well :)

Was it all during the exposure or is there a chunk of PP for the effect too ??
Cheers Dean. I did some PP with curves and levels but the motion blur was all done by moving the camera during the exposure

Blurred lines of the trees makes a change to the normal "static" photo looking up the tree trunks.

Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Richard.

The trick seems to be to start moving the camera, squeeze the shutter gently (or better still use separate trigger), and continue moving beyond the shutter closing.

Weather wise - I can't agree more although over here in West Yorkshire we've had nothing like the horrendous storms as we've being seeing on the tv.

Beautilful submission for linear....I tried this a few times but never with this success. Really like the 'bright' and colourful impressionist vibe of this

....A perfect picture and proof of talent

I am intrigued by the convex apperarance of the trunks......is this some kind of distortion?

Last edited:
Not sure if that's for me peter..........makes mi eyes hurt :wacky:

Both very well done. I saw the blurring technique with trees in a magazine a while back but have never given it a go, I think I may have to now!
Wow...loving this one...you've inspired me to have a go at this :clap:

Hi Peter

perfect panning....looks like a water painting....I'd frame that if it were mine :clap:

Wow...loving this one...you've inspired me to have a go at this :clap:
Thanks Anita. Have a go. Definitely worth it especially if you try different shutter speeds.
Hi Peter

perfect panning....looks like a water painting....I'd frame that if it were mine :clap:
Thanks Lynne. Not sure about framing it though. As somebody said it would upset my eyesight. :)

Hey Peter and welcome back :banana::clap:

Odd, very simple and I like the lighting/ processing, really focuses the eye.

Line, just beautiful :clap::clap::clap: I remember your attraction to the abstract shots when we were stalking Bluebells at Newmillar dam that time. This is a very calming image, not too abstract so as to give a migraine but enough to make you keep staring at it.

Odd - like it, torch makes the odd dice glow a bit and it's all nice and sharp.

Line - very painterly. I keep meaning to try this but never got round to it.

Hey Peter and welcome back :banana::clap:

Odd, very simple and I like the lighting/ processing, really focuses the eye.

Line, just beautiful :clap::clap::clap: I remember your attraction to the abstract shots when we were stalking Bluebells at Newmillar dam that time. This is a very calming image, not too abstract so as to give a migraine but enough to make you keep staring at it.
Hi Marsha. Thanks for the comments. It's fun to be back.

Odd - like it, torch makes the odd dice glow a bit and it's all nice and sharp.

Line - very painterly. I keep meaning to try this but never got round to it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Me too!

"Line" - bold strategy for the theme that totally paid off.
Cheers Mike

Odd - Nice composition and use of light painting.
Line - Fantastic effect, just added to my list of must try (y)
Thanks Michael

Week 02 - Play

Play
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

I've gone for a musical take on the theme this week. My choice was really between piano, guitar or brass. As you can see I went for the latter as it gave me the challenge of how to light this trumpet without blown out highlights everywhere. It's harder than it looks but did achieve this which I was pleased with.

Very good Peter (y) I struggle with lighting, any tips? :D

You've done a cracking job with the lighting on that trumpet. Shows the shine off without any major hotspots.

Compositionally Quite tough, how did it look with the full lettering in and the other ring on the right?

Very good Peter (y) I struggle with lighting, any tips? :D
Thanks Phil. I guess the tip is to practice, practice, practice. The set up was two Studio heads (one with a softbox, the other a bounce brolly). I ended up shooting towards the lights as I found there were less bright reflections that way round.
That image is so clear....it looks almost 3D...composition and colours are very nice indeed :)
Thanks Susie. I did a mono conversion as well but it seemed to lose the lovely gold/brass colours

You've done a cracking job with the lighting on that trumpet. Shows the shine off without any major hotspots.

Compositionally Quite tough, how did it look with the full lettering in and the other ring on the right?
Thanks for the feedback Richard. I know exactly what you mean. I have kept the uncropped version (just in case CarolBrass want to pay me bags loads of money:rolleyes:) but was keen to get a square crop to give strength to the valves of the instrument.

Most excellent - I really struggle with shiny stuff and lighting - it's so easy to blow highlights - an excellent job.

really strong submission for play there Peter, compositionally hard to fault, the favoured bottom left to top right diagonal, with lines into / out of both those corners does make it a settling image,

lighting is really nice - not sure if the sheet music underneath is overegging the pudding, but it certainly woudn;t be the same with a plain background, so I'll go with it. (y)

That is a great shot. It's beautifully lit, pin sharp, with no flares or reflections - I have no idea how you managed to do that! I love the composition and the colours too.

Love the attention to detail and sharpness then found my eyes wandering up to the 35. :)

Hi Peter, can only echo what's above superbly lit, on what must have been a nightmare to light
Nice composition too :clap:

Great detail on the pipes/valves.

Nicely composed (see what I did there ;)) with the music in the background.

Back