Critique required LC2's Cosplay, Models and Railway Shoehorns for 2022 : Week 39 - Depict a Song

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Week 1 - New

Working with a New Model in 2022 - Android 18 from Dragon Ball Z.

Also lit with a new Godox v860iii and a couple of parts of a light modifier kit I've not used before (bar doors and grid).

Shadow deliberately left in the final image to ground the model on the white background.
Background was a sheet of A2 white paper (which has been lightened to remove the creases!!!
A Covid Lateral Flow Test box was pressed into action as a reflector on camera left ;)

Week 1 - New : Android 18 - Dragon Ball Z by Tim White, on Flickr

I like the hard (ish) side lighting. It fits well with the body language if the figure.

Nicely done, would it have worked to have the whole shadow ?

Looks good to me

Love it. Great use of light.

Very nicely lit and composed Tim. I like the use of the shadow.

I like that - very well lit.

I like the hard (ish) side lighting. It fits well with the body language if the figure.
I did intentionally keep the light hard (though to be fair, even a flash head is quite large compared to a 12" model).
I wanted to see how much difference the grid and barn doors made (not much).
Nicely shot. A lovely clean image.

Nicely done, would it have worked to have the whole shadow ?
A2 background sheet wouldn't have been large enough ;) But I don't think it needs the whole shadow (which would probably unbalance the image), just sufficient that the base was grounded. If there had been no shadow, the shot ran the risk of looking floaty.
Looks good to me

Nice one Tim, you might even see some of my mini figure shots this 52 and good idea to leave the shadow in.
I'll tag Allan H in if you do Dave ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone. it was good to get some gear out after a very quiet December, and to have the chance to play with some new Christmas kit :)

That's very nice tim, the shadow works well. I like the way she appears to be shielding the light.

Pete

I agree with Pete (post #11). Having the light aimed so her hand's shadow was across her eyes might have worked even better but would have stretched the body shadow more.

I think the angle of the light works really well, It almost looks like she's raising her hand to stop the light in her eyes.

I'm guessing she's a bit quiet compared to some of your other models?

Nicely done Tim.

Looking forward to the trains :)

That's very nice tim, the shadow works well. I like the way she appears to be shielding the light.

Pete

I agree with Pete (post #11). Having the light aimed so her hand's shadow was across her eyes might have worked even better but would have stretched the body shadow more.
You know, I hadn't thought of tying that (I did try using hte modelling light, but as it doesn't use the flash head, it didn't really give a good impression of what the light was going to do).
I think the angle of the light works really well, It almost looks like she's raising her hand to stop the light in her eyes.

I'm guessing she's a bit quiet compared to some of your other models?
Yup, nowhere near as cheeky
I like. Nicely lit and the shadow adds 'depth' to the image. Love your full narrative and detailed explanation behind the shot.
I thought I would detail the shot as it could be helpful for some. I doubt I'll do detailed explanations all year though ;)
Nicely done Tim.

Looking forward to the trains :)
First opportunity may be the GCR at the end of Jan.

Looks good! I think you’ve used the light really well. You made the right choice not to include the complete shadow.

Yeah - nicely done - just enough reflection from the LTF box to lift the shadows on the model's lhs - shadow has just the right amount of definition to ground the subject without detracting.

Great shot Tim, I think that the choice of keeping the shadow works well.

Nicely balanced light and shadows. Probably the best use of a LTF box I've heard of too...

• Haha
Reactions: LC2
Looks good! I think you’ve used the light really well. You made the right choice not to include the complete shadow.

Yeah - nicely done - just enough reflection from the LTF box to lift the shadows on the model's lhs - shadow has just the right amount of definition to ground the subject without detracting.

Great shot Tim, I think that the choice of keeping the shadow works well.

Nicely balanced light and shadows. Probably the best use of a LTF box I've heard of too...
We've had (and had to use) loads, as @minx works in a school...
Very classy image.
Cheers everyone. I'm pleased that you agree with the shadow. I felt it was about right too :)

This mini-figure shot (if that's what it's called) is completely new to me. Very impressed. The lighting really works well.

Think I will have to get my lego figures out and give it a go.

Last edited:
Week 2 - Old

A bit of a PABD this week, being stuck indoors.
A similar set-up to last week, but using a Godox TT350F shot through a brolly to soften and defuse the light
And yes, the LFT box was once again called into action to reflect the light back in.

The other main difference was the use of my Lensbaby Sol 45 on maximum blur, just because I could ;)

TP 52 for 2022 : Week 2 - Old by Tim White, on Flickr

Good subject and fits the theme well, i'm not sure I like the blur effect, personally (sorry - it's probably one of those 'yeast extract spread' things). Lovely colours too, really well PPd.

Like this one Tim, good Dof and lighting looks really cool.
To be fair Dave, I'm not that happy with the lighting.
There is sufficient, but I don't really like the reflection in the smokebox door.
But, not sure what else I could do other than long exposure and natural light.
Good subject and fits the theme well, i'm not sure I like the blur effect, personally (sorry - it's probably one of those 'yeast extract spread' things). Lovely colours too, really well PPd.
The Lensbaby is definitely a love/hate thing, and this is on Max effect.
But it's boring to do the same thing week in / week out and the 52 is a great place to try different things :)

I do like the engine but the transition to the OOF coal carriage is so short it doesn't seem to feel right for me.
It's a "marmite thing" as Jim says, I don't like that either.

But it's boring to do the same thing week in / week out and the 52 is a great place to try different things :)

Absolutely, you'll find no argument from me on that point (y) :D

I do like the engine but the transition to the OOF coal carriage is so short it doesn't seem to feel right for me.
It's a "marmite thing" as Jim says, I don't like that either.
Fixed aperture lens, so not much I can do about the DoF. I did engage the 'bokeh blades' for this shot - I do have others with a less pronounced blur at the rear.
For info, the correct term for the 'coal carriage' is a Tender, and it would actually contain (in the real thing) both the coal and an awful lot of water.

Week 2 - Old

A bit of a PABD this week, being stuck indoors.
A similar set-up to last week, but using a Godox TT350F shot through a brolly to soften and defuse the light
And yes, the LFT box was once again called into action to reflect the light back in.

The other main difference was the use of my Lensbaby Sol 45 on maximum blur, just because I could ;)

TP 52 for 2022 : Week 2 - Old by Tim White, on Flickr
I think I saw that on the ELR in Ramsbottom over Xmas pulling a Santa special

• Haha
Nice engine Tim. Certainly looks old.
Personally not a fan of the blur, but your explanation of it is OK. Have to try these things - why not?
I find the red track a little distracting, and wonder whether some older track style might work better, but again, as with most things, a subjective opinion.

That's a lovely setup shot of an old toy train engine. I know you've already self-critique about it, the light on the front of the smokebox is just a tack too strong for my liking. But I do like the shallow DoF.
Yes, the lighting is too strong. What's left of the paint is quite reflective though, so short of ambient light, not sure how I would have lit it from that side.
Nice engine Tim. Certainly looks old.
Personally not a fan of the blur, but your explanation of it is OK. Have to try these things - why not?
I find the red track a little distracting, and wonder whether some older track style might work better, but again, as with most things, a subjective opinion.
The red track is at least 50 years old (the set it came from was manufactured between 1966 & 1972). I would have had to use much newer (and I can't find the 1 panel of peco flexi track I have) or spend a small fortune on tin plate track in order to use something else.

Fixed aperture lens, so not much I can do about the DoF. I did engage the 'bokeh blades' for this shot - I do have others with a less pronounced blur at the rear.
For info, the correct term for the 'coal carriage' is a Tender, and it would actually contain (in the real thing) both the coal and an awful lot of water.
Sorry. I am obviously not very good at giving critique and in no way meant to offend. I am not a railway/train expert so I googled what the coal tender was called.

That said your post did say critique required and that's what I gave. It was simply my personal view. Who am I to judge?

To use the 52 week challenge to try new things out is exactly what it's about IMHO. Don't stop.

Sorry. I am obviously not very good at giving critique and in no way meant to offend. I am not a railway/train expert so I googled what the coal tender was called.

That said your post did say critique required and that's what I gave. It was simply my personal view. Who am I to judge?

To use the 52 week challenge to try new things out is exactly what it's about IMHO. Don't stop.
No offense taken David, and I'm more than happy with your thoughts :)
I was just explaining the constraints.

I was just letting you know what the tender was called, it wasn't meant to come across as holier than thou or anything (but it the written word sometimes has the habit of being read other than how it was intended, as you can't see the body language that goes with it).

PABD?

A great shot Tim, love the colours, the clean white background and the composition.

Strange... I wasn't so keen until I clicked through and viewed it large. The detail and decay on the engine really give it life. I would have liked a touch deeper DOF, ideally towards the back of the engine before falling off, but that's just a personal thing. It works.

It's a chuffer :banana:

Nice owd thing :)

Back