weekly Mich's 52 for 2015 Entertain

Hi, looks very fragile all that glass, can't really tell what it is though and I am not sure if a wider view would work better.
fits the theme though

I feel the in-focus bit is in the wrong place as it tends toward the bottom of the picture, perhaps just a tad deeper DoF?

Hi Mich *waves*

I love both bliss and fragile, especially the bokeh in both. I like the mutedness (made-up word) of the purple sweetie and the only thing I'd change is the interloper bottom left which is covering the purple sweet slightly. Fragile is brilliant, I actually thought it was an ice sculpture at first :)

thanks everyone - yes its a glass sculpture - here is a shot of the whole thing but as I said because it was in a glass case I kept getting reflections. I find it hard to get a sharp focus with my camera so I think I'll need to try and concentrate on that. View attachment 28615

Hi Mich :)

Thought I had commented on yours already :thinking: must be the photo's thread driving me mad at the start !!!

Patterns - Interesting idea, I had no clue what so ever at what it was :D

Bliss - A real nice bright shot, lovely close detail and topped off with a bit of festive bokeh (y)

Fragile - Again wasn't sure what this was afagin, having seen the wide shot DAMN that is fragile, very twisty and turny, and again loving the patches of bokeh, a real good start to your 52 (y)

Wow - I wondered what fragile was, so that's for the explanation. Possibly one of the trickiest subjects to light well and you've handled it nicely. Using a shallow DOF really works here as what might have been blown highlights turn into sumptuous bokeh :) Definitely underexposing a touch helps... a well put together image which draws the viewer in nicely. Top job!

Very intriguing and complex structure. Didint immediately see the heart shape but nice concept. Like all the twinkly highlights. Maybe being picky but think it looks a little 'flat' and 'grey' be nice to see the image with a little more punch. Love the interpretation of the theme though

Hi Mich, Fragile - I took a little while to work it out, the whole glass sheep must be fantastic. I'm not sure I get fragile (without knowing what the image is), but I love the composition and bokeh

Week 3 Scenic

Well am posting this shot up as scenic - had a real problem as colours here are pretty dismal just now - sort of brown sludgy and green! I didn't want to use a previous image. Not that happy but don't want to lag behind on the themes!
behind View attachment 29270

Last edited:
Hi Mich ...not an easy time of the year for scenic is it. You've made an excellent choice with those fir trees, and it looks as if there was a glimmer of sunshine too. Well done for getting out and taking a shot ... I hate to get behind with the theme ...in fact I think it's become a slight obsession :)

Hi, really well exposed shot of the forest and I like where you have placed the sort of pathway

works for me

Hi Mich ...not an easy time of the year for scenic is it. You've made an excellent choice with those fir trees, and it looks as if there was a glimmer of sunshine too. Well done for getting out and taking a shot ... I hate to get behind with the theme ...in fact I think it's become a slight obsession :)

Scenic - lovely choice with the theme, and well done for getting out and finding something to shoot. I have yet to go and do mine, which I hope will be tomorrow as the weather looks ok.

Hi, really well exposed shot of the forest and I like where you have placed the sort of pathway

works for me

Thanks guys :)

Well Done for getting photo done. Still yet to get mine so now behind. (It's give snow where I live on friday:D)You've captured the wood well in its current state. it's also makes me wonder which path to take, do I take the one straight ahead leading into the light or do I go for the mysterious route to the left which is dark which will lead me into the unknown. MMMM decisions.

Hi Mich :)

Even though you are not that pleased with the shot It's great to get out with your kit and make the effort, make you think about your image and self crit, all will help your photography, still not a bad image, looks well lit and has a nice pathway through the huge trees, fits the theme a treat :)

Hi Mich,

Nice shot, and it fits the theme. It's not the easiest time of year to do scenery unless you're lucky (?) enough to have had snow, but you did go out and take the shot :)

I keep coming back to this shot not quite sure what to say about it. I like it ... and now I think it's the kind of shot that might benefit for some OTT PP to turn it into something quite abstract o_O

Week 4 Companions

Another struggle this week - however yesterday when out for my lunchtime walk at work, spotted this. Hoping in a roundabout way it fits the theme. View attachment 29679

I am away on holiday from today so hoping I can get a look at the theme for next week before I go!

Last edited:
Companions - not quite right. I see what you are trying to achieve Michalene but it needed more of the human footsteps alongside the paw prints to tell the story. Also agree with Mandy that there is a very definite blue cast to the snow that needs attention.

Hi there ... I do agree about seeing more of the human footprint, but I really like the idea behind this one.

I'm never to sure about the rules for snow...it has so many shades other than pristine white depending on the surroundings and time of day, so it looks fine to me.

Have a nice holiday :)

Thanks guys agree about the snow not being right - had to make do with footprints/paperboard available as they weren't mine!

Catch up comments
Fragile i prefer the full image to the crop.
Nice scenic shot your best pic so far for me.
Companions nice idea shame the foot prints were not closer together it would have been perfect.

Hi Mich,

I like the idea behind companions, but I'm afraid it doesn't quite work - sorry. It wasn't the easiest of themes though.

I hope you have a great holiday :)

Companions: Since others have made comments regarding the boot print I'll not go there, or to the cast which is up to the viewer to decide if it looks right. My own personal view is that cropping in to the two pawprints and having them as companions to one another might have worked better, it would have removed the part bootprint on the left and the messy snow on the right.

Well been away on hols and am totally lagging behind now!
For elegant I have 2 shots - one I took on holiday and I really like the sculpture but the background is busy and I'm not good enough on the pp to do much about it. The other shot of the candle I took tonight and it's ok but would be better (in my opinion) if that really bright highlight wasn't there - not sure how to get rid of it.

(I had my canon GX1 away with me and that was used for the scupture shot)
View attachment 30782 View attachment 30784

Sorry not been able to get round to comment on individual shots these last couple of weeks - but will hopefully find some time now I'm back from the sun!

Last edited:
thanks for your positive and helpful comments - really appreciated :)

Hi Michalene,

The sculpture shot may work better with a slightly looser crop and a shallow DoF to reduce background distraction. I know its not always that simple when your out shooting on the streets though!

I love your watery shot, you have captured some stunning tones in the sky and the wooden structure to the side really adds another point of interest. I would love to be stood on that platform right now! :D Where abouts was it taken?

well done for catching up. Watery shot is really right up my street love a good pic of the sea and added bonus of sunset with it.

Hi Michalene,

The sculpture shot may work better with a slightly looser crop and a shallow DoF to reduce background distraction. I know its not always that simple when your out shooting on the streets though!

I love your watery shot, you have captured some stunning tones in the sky and the wooden structure to the side really adds another point of interest. I would love to be stood on that platform right now! :D Where abouts was it taken?

Thanks Rob - was taken in Benalmadena in Spain last week - the sculpture was in Malaga.

Back