weekly Steven's "try use my camera more" Photo 52 Project - Week 6 Watery

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks!

Better late than never! I don't think I will have time to shoot all of previous weeks, so i will post pictures from my archives to include week 1-4 (I have something that fits, if not I'll try shoot something between weeks).

I will edit this post to include the image for the current theme. Looking forward to seeing everyone's efforts :)

Current Week's Image:

Week 6 - Watery

New Queensferry Crossing, Firth of Forth

by Steven Fergus, on Flickr

Previous Weeks:

Week 1 - Bliss
Week 2 - Fragile
Week 3 - Scenic
Week 4 - Companions
Week 5 - Elegant
Week 6 - Watery

Last edited:
Week 1 - Bliss

River Sheil Fishing Platform

This image was taken during a holiday with my girlfriend and her parents to Acharacle; it was taken on a fishing platform on the river Sheil. The picture reminds me of happy times and brings me a sense of tranquility, so I think it fits the theme "bliss".

Week 2 - Fragile

Wid Camp Beinn an Dothaidh Sunset

Wild Camp

This image was taken on the top of Ben an Dothaidh (Bridge of Orchy) during my first solo camping trip. I bought the tent that day and was so excited to go out and use it for the first time! It was a gorgeous night and I had an enjoyable accent of the mountain - I was the last one up that night too. I reached the top as the sun was setting. I quickly set up camp and took some photographs before it descended into darkness. It wasn't long before it was pitch black, freezing cold and blowing a gale. I snugged into my tent for a terrible nights sleep, rarely falling asleep as my tent was battered around by the gale force winds. The outer tend was getting battered by the wind so much that it was almost touching me. I actually thought my tent was going to blow off the mountain with me in it!

I woke in the morning to find myself buried in clouds so thick I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I sat in my tent for hours waiting for it to clear with no avail. I knew there were cliffs nearby with a substantial drops, but I was still relatively inexperienced with navigating and I was too scared to go out blind into the clouds. Eventually, after several hours lying in my sleeping bag blowing my mountain whistle, I summoned the courage to get out my tent. I struggled to pack it as the wind tried its hardest to blow it off the mountain. After struggling to pack my tent I eventually headed on a bearing and after 15 minutes dropped bellow the clouds wondering what all the fuss was about!

This image reminds me of how fragile my tent appeared that night and how fragile I felt.

I learned a lesson and got myself on a navigation course!

Not the best of photographs but a good memory.

Last edited:
Week 3 - Scenic

Buachaille Etive Mòr

A shot of the classic Stob Dearg, Glencoe.

I don't have a lot of love for this image as it was shot at the wrong time of the day (during an accent on a mountain opposite) and I'm not too fond of the processing. It does however fit the theme!

Hi, Steve, great start.

Bliss, wonderful light, and I like the reflections and colours. Although the bridge is a good lead in, it's a little to prominent for me.

Fragile, I didn't grey the connection, but the back story is a better. The sunrise light is great.

Scenic, I don't get it :). The processing works for me. The detail is cracking add I'd the sky.

Compton, that would also work for this week's theme. Nice and tight and the wide dof works well to include the lady with the camera.

Great start.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome to the 52's Steven (y)

Some cracking archive shots you have there to get you in the game, I especially like the scenic shot, love the little road winding across the bottom of the frame (y)

Elegant - A great building, I'd be tempted to clone out the drain in the fountain, love the colours of the sky and the general balance of the shot :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with each week... good luck with your 52 challenge (y)

Yep, and rather nice it is too.

Thanks Phil.

Phil
Hi Steven welcome to 52's. Some cracking shots from your archives.

Elegant; that's a very grandeur building and fit the theme well with perfect light too. I quite like the symmetry just a shame the water pot plant is slight off centre thought.

Thank you! I know it annoys me too, it's the way it has been planted. Thanks for stopping by.

Welcome to the 52's Steven (y)

Some cracking archive shots you have there to get you in the game, I especially like the scenic shot, love the little road winding across the bottom of the frame (y)

Elegant - A great building, I'd be tempted to clone out the drain in the fountain, love the colours of the sky and the general balance of the shot :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with each week... good luck with your 52 challenge (y)

Thanks! I'm aiming to have a fresh shot every week and no more archive shots. I wasn't never sure on the scenic image but it seems most people like it!

I am terrible at cloning things! I did try but the tiles in the bottom of the fountain made it really difficult. I suppose the purpose of this challenge is to improve my skills so I might give it another go.

A fine set of images there Steven (y)
Nice processing on the current theme as well :)

Excellent shots there Steven, not least that Elegant castle under that dramatic sky.

A lovely set of images.
I adore your companions shot.

First time visit to your thread and all I have for you is they are all really really great images.
Stand out 2 for me are this weeks elegant and your bliss image. (y)

Week 6 - Watery

New Queensferry Crossing, Firth of Forth

I was coming back from a short break away up North and stopped in at Sea World on the way home. When I came out I was stunned by this beautiful sunset. This was the only subject which stood in front of the sunset. It's the beginnings of a new bridge being constructed alongside the Forth Road Bridge across the Firth of Fourth.

I also have a black and white version which I might post too.

Nice Work Steven and a good set of images!

Bliss... Love this shot! great reflection and lead in. Nice sharp focus on the walkway, nice textures. Some really nice greens going on and crowned with a nice crisp blue sky. I love how the walkway gives it great depth running off toward the opposite bank, before it cranks off to the left. Nice work well shot.

Fragile.... Now were talking! Personally I like the shots (But then I would!). In the first shot that lens flare would be really easy to remove (Yes you can!) I like the crepuscular rays and the sun burst and the lake just over the shoulder of the tent, lovely light brushing the tufts of grass and the lines of the tent. Are you pitched in a bit of a dip there? mind it doesn't flood;). Love that horizon!
No2 another nice shot but think 1 was better, sun is a bit hot here, you might be able to calm it a bit in PP, but its a little hot and the flare is a bit more here. I don't really mind flare too much some people hate it. The one circle of flare in No1 would be easy to get shot of, and would improve the shot.
What you need is a copy of Navigation in the Mountains by Carlo Forte and Mountaincraft and Leadership by Eric Langmuir these are the must have books! I hope you told someone where you were going to be and what route you were walking.;) You were just positionally challenged that was all :eek:.
Mountains can be dangerous places but I guess I don't need to tell you that:). Its a lesson learnt and the good thing is you have enrolled in a course which is great. Mountain Navigation in zero visibility was about the most difficult thing I learnt but the most useful!

Off home now, so will comment on the other Pictures later:)

Watery. You know what? I opened this, and the first thing I said was "wow".
I like the sky, the rocks, the new bridge "bits" the reflections.
I don't even mind that the horizon is on the 50/50 mark.
Very nice indeed.

I love the reflections of the bridge, and the fore-ground rocks. (y)
The colours of the sky puts me off a little though.
I guess they are natural? I've never seen one like that,
maybe that's why it seems a little odd to me.

Nice Work Steven and a good set of images!

Bliss... Love this shot! great reflection and lead in. Nice sharp focus on the walkway, nice textures. Some really nice greens going on and crowned with a nice crisp blue sky. I love how the walkway gives it great depth running off toward the opposite bank, before it cranks off to the left. Nice work well shot.

Fragile.... Now were talking! Personally I like the shots (But then I would!). In the first shot that lens flare would be really easy to remove (Yes you can!) I like the crepuscular rays and the sun burst and the lake just over the shoulder of the tent, lovely light brushing the tufts of grass and the lines of the tent. Are you pitched in a bit of a dip there? mind it doesn't flood;). Love that horizon!
No2 another nice shot but think 1 was better, sun is a bit hot here, you might be able to calm it a bit in PP, but its a little hot and the flare is a bit more here. I don't really mind flare too much some people hate it. The one circle of flare in No1 would be easy to get shot of, and would improve the shot.
What you need is a copy of Navigation in the Mountains by Carlo Forte and Mountaincraft and Leadership by Eric Langmuir these are the must have books! I hope you told someone where you were going to be and what route you were walking.;) You were just positionally challenged that was all :eek:.
Mountains can be dangerous places but I guess I don't need to tell you that:). Its a lesson learnt and the good thing is you have enrolled in a course which is great. Mountain Navigation in zero visibility was about the most difficult thing I learnt but the most useful!

Off home now, so will comment on the other Pictures later:)

Thanks for your detailed reply, Bonni! I agree the first of the Fragile shot is the better. I haven't tried to remove the lens flare, but I should! I haven't been bck out "wild camping" as such since, I'm waiting until the winter is over! Positionally challenged, I like that! :D I'll definitely have a look at that book you suggested, I'm always looking to improve my skills! I guess your a keen walker/climber yourself?

Thanks for commenting.

Watery. You know what? I opened this, and the first thing I said was "wow".
I like the sky, the rocks, the new bridge "bits" the reflections.
I don't even mind that the horizon is on the 50/50 mark.
Very nice indeed.

Thanks viv. I always try and watch the horizon line when I shoot and at the time I was sure I had 1/3 2/3 split, but obviously not o_O

Yep ... wow factor ... :clap:

Thank you.

I love the reflections of the bridge, and the fore-ground rocks. (y)
The colours of the sky puts me off a little though.
I guess they are natural? I've never seen one like that,
maybe that's why it seems a little odd to me.

Thanks Cobra. The sunset was unbelievable on Saturday, the best sunset I've seen in many months. I have processed the image but it's not too dissimilar to how it was at the time.

Thanks Cobra. The sunset was unbelievable on Saturday, the best sunset I've seen in many months. I have processed the image but it's not too dissimilar to how it was at the time.
Fair do's (y)

Holy crap that's AMAZING! :jawdrop:

I'm Back :eek: To do the others! Me .... still struggling with "Elegant" :( but you have done a excellent job on the catch up well done!

Scenic .... Well 10 points for the sheer beauty of the mountain composition love that. Like you say the light isn't too good, but that's OK its just a recce for another shoot;). Having said that I guess anyone in your position at the time would have had to take that shot, I would have. I really like the silvery ribbon of road winding through the valley floor. Great clouds over the peak! You might have been able to sneak in a grad to pull up that blue a bit and hold down the mountains a bit more then maybe tweak the shadows a little and a little sharpening.
I still like it, bit more playing in PS or LR Steve.

Companions.... Right out of my depth here, I struggle with street photography only because I'm not good at "Seeing it" For me I always try and throw the background OOF because I hate "Clutter" (you can see I'd never make a street photographer:)). I like the subject and think it fits the theme very well. The strong diagonal line always works well to draw the eye in. I think the push chair and people behind the dancers head and shoulders spoil the lines a little and blends them into the background.

Elegant ....That's a nice shot, apart form the aforementioned drain :(. I looked at some cropping possibilities here go rid you of your fountain problem. I think if you draw a crop line along the bottom of the oblong flower beds and then some amount of the dreaded cloning you could loose the bottom of the fountain pool and the drain but keeping the top of the statue. Only thought this because I think trying to clone out the drain might be a mare (or at least a fair bit of work). Only my thoughts...
Like the sky and the light and the way the castellation's stand out against the skyline. Nice light hitting the towers of the castle and the lower half of the fountain statue.

Watery .... Wow that a real blast of colour, quite a stunning sunset, really nice reflections in the water and love the starbursts of light around the lamps. Really like all the layers and gradients in the sky. Also like those 2 yellow pinpoints of light and their reflections... Really nice shot! Looking at the foreground which is really nice and sharp, looks like you had Street lighting behind you. I think if it did anything it would be to pull in a grad upside down (from the bottom up) just to take a little bit off of those rocks, but that's just nit picking.
Great shot well exposed, Nice Work.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Bonni! I agree the first of the Fragile shot is the better. I haven't tried to remove the lens flare, but I should! I haven't been bck out "wild camping" as such since, I'm waiting until the winter is over! Positionally challenged, I like that! :D I'll definitely have a look at that book you suggested, I'm always looking to improve my skills! I guess your a keen walker/climber yourself?

Thanks for commenting

I find giving critique actually helps my photographs because it actually makes me look closer and deeper into the image.
Yes was a mountain leader ("was" because don't get to the mountains anywhere near enough nowadays, used to take Scouts up onto the mountains). I don't think I ever learnt so much taking my Mountain leader training, it was great. I spent a lot of time up at an forces expedition centre at Bethesda in Snowdonia when I was younger which gave me the bug, loved it.
I'd recommend doing some of those sort of courses if your into that sort of thing, and your in the right area with not much travelling to do to get to the Mountains.

Really enjoyed your set of photos, Nice work(y)

Hi Steven, some truly stunning images to kick start your 52.

I really like bliss but the darker areas top and bottom distract me a little.
Fragile, amazing scene and back story. No way would you get me up a mountain alone!
Companion is perfect for the theme. The mono conversion is clearly needed to hide the distractions in the background.
Watery, love the colours of the sky. The light reflections are superb.

WOW. What an amazing shot, wonderful colours. Beautiful reflection and sky. I know the colours are slightly boosted and saturated but I still love it. :clap:

I past the bridge very few weeks to visit my wee grand-daughter and notice the construction progress made every time. Never have time to stop to take photos though because there's another two hours of driving (north) ahead of me. One day.

Holy crap that's AMAZING! :jawdrop:

Thank you :)

Awesome image Steven. Assume you took this over the weekend, there were some stunning sunsets. Annoyed I never got a chance to get out with my camera to catch it. There was another on the BBC website of the Forth Bridge from Saturday.

Thanks David. Yes it was taken on Saturday, it was a beautiful night! I also saw that image on the BBC website, I wish I had been out earlier and taken a walk over the other side!

I'm Back :eek: To do the others! Me .... still struggling with "Elegant" :( but you have done a excellent job on the catch up well done!

Scenic .... Well 10 points for the sheer beauty of the mountain composition love that. Like you say the light isn't too good, but that's OK its just a recce for another shoot;). Having said that I guess anyone in your position at the time would have had to take that shot, I would have. I really like the silvery ribbon of road winding through the valley floor. Great clouds over the peak! You might have been able to sneak in a grad to pull up that blue a bit and hold down the mountains a bit more then maybe tweak the shadows a little and a little sharpening.
I still like it, bit more playing in PS or LR Steve.

Companions.... Right out of my depth here, I struggle with street photography only because I'm not good at "Seeing it" For me I always try and throw the background OOF because I hate "Clutter" (you can see I'd never make a street photographer:)). I like the subject and think it fits the theme very well. The strong diagonal line always works well to draw the eye in. I think the push chair and people behind the dancers head and shoulders spoil the lines a little and blends them into the background.

Elegant ....That's a nice shot, apart form the aforementioned drain :(. I looked at some cropping possibilities here go rid you of your fountain problem. I think if you draw a crop line along the bottom of the oblong flower beds and then some amount of the dreaded cloning you could loose the bottom of the fountain pool and the drain but keeping the top of the statue. Only thought this because I think trying to clone out the drain might be a mare (or at least a fair bit of work). Only my thoughts...
Like the sky and the light and the way the castellation's stand out against the skyline. Nice light hitting the towers of the castle and the lower half of the fountain statue.

Watery .... Wow that a real blast of colour, quite a stunning sunset, really nice reflections in the water and love the starbursts of light around the lamps. Really like all the layers and gradients in the sky. Also like those 2 yellow pinpoints of light and their reflections... Really nice shot! Looking at the foreground which is really nice and sharp, looks like you had Street lighting behind you. I think if it did anything it would be to pull in a grad upside down (from the bottom up) just to take a little bit off of those rocks, but that's just nit picking.
Great shot well exposed, Nice Work.

I find giving critique actually helps my photographs because it actually makes me look closer and deeper into the image.
Yes was a mountain leader ("was" because don't get to the mountains anywhere near enough nowadays, used to take Scouts up onto the mountains). I don't think I ever learnt so much taking my Mountain leader training, it was great. I spent a lot of time up at an forces expedition centre at Bethesda in Snowdonia when I was younger which gave me the bug, loved it.
I'd recommend doing some of those sort of courses if your into that sort of thing, and your in the right area with not much travelling to do to get to the Mountains.

Really enjoyed your set of photos, Nice work(y)

Thanks again for your detailed reply, much appreciated!

Scenic - I actually didn't own any grad filters at this stage. I was intending to do Aonach Eagach but ended up just going up the little Corbett next to it. I only had my kit lens with me at the time :) I'll maybe got back to it in lightroom and see what I can do with it.

Companions - That was the first and only attempt at street photography I've done, it's not my think at all! I agree that the pram is detraction and a smaller depth of field would've been better.

Elegant - The flower bed really annoyed me when I was shooting this shot, but I wanted the whole fountain in so there wasn't much I could do about it. I did try to clone it out but like you said, it's not easy because of the bricks underneath the water. I'll have a play with a few different crops!

Watery - You know your stuff! ;) There was awful street lighting behind me which caster a strong yellow glow on the rocks. I also used the light on my phone to light them up to try and bring out as much detail as possible. In lightroom I had to reduce the yellow saturation quite far to get rid of the horrible yellow glow. I could also try dropping the shadows a little and darken them like you said.

Excellent! There's a lot that goes into being a mountain leader, I don't think I would ever get to that stage. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I'll lead over to your thread and see if I can offer anything :)

Hi Steven, some truly stunning images to kick start your 52.

I really like bliss but the darker areas top and bottom distract me a little.
Fragile, amazing scene and back story. No way would you get me up a mountain alone!
Companion is perfect for the theme. The mono conversion is clearly needed to hide the distractions in the background.
Watery, love the colours of the sky. The light reflections are superb.

Do you mean the dark bits at the top right and top left? Thanks for commenting :)

WOW. What an amazing shot, wonderful colours. Beautiful reflection and sky. I know the colours are slightly boosted and saturated but I still love it. :clap:

I past the bridge very few weeks to visit my wee grand-daughter and notice the construction progress made every time. Never have time to stop to take photos though because there's another two hours of driving (north) ahead of me. One day.

Thank you. You should make some time to stop by one day, there are good photographs of the rail bridge to be had. I'll definitely be making a return trip at some point.

Great shots form you archive Steve, particularly like your scenic shot! As for this weeks watery theme, what a sunset!!!! The new bridge legs look really effective against the sky.

Thank you.

Hi Steven
I'll pm you sometime soon(y)

Wow, you've got a real sense for colour Steven, it comes through clearly in all your shots (apart from the B&W conversions of course!)

Watery is a great shot with such vibrant colour going through it and Scenic is wonderful. It might have been the wrong time of day, but it's an amazing picture. I'm not likely to see any of the things you've shot to be honest (you won't catch me up a mountain in a tent!) and I think that's why I find the images so engaging. You're clearly a competent photographer but you have a real eye for colour that adds to your already good quality images.

Looking forward to more from this thread!

Back