weekly XenosElaine's 52s Thread - Support added

Well, it's in my airing cupboard, not my kitchen, but that's exactly how it stands, I've not rotated it or anything.

So your washing machine lies on it's side then ? As in your image your the control dials are to the left of the image as opposed to the top off the image, that's what I mean about my OCD wanting the I age rotated so the control dials are at the top off the image if that makes better sense.

This is getting freaky now. It's the right way up on my monitor with the controls at the top.

Is it like that on both threads - the main photo only one as well?

Just had a look on the iPad and it's on its side on that, but this is a screenshot of what it looks like on my pc. This is seriously weird!

2e3basl.jpg

I've just gone back on the iPad to the shot of the clock in the bin and that's on its side on there too, but it's the right way up on here. I wonder if all my portrait format shots are coming out sideways on Apple? I'll check it out tomorrow and have a look on the laptop to see how that's showing them.

Washing machine is a great idea Elaine, colours look good (y) its the right way up for me anyway :)

love the colours in the washing machine, right way up to me on PC and phone (don;t have an ipad though :()

could have looked like concentric circles, but the blue seems to just add enough of a hint at a spiral...

Do all the clopthes not get flung out to the edges at that speed? They do on ours leaving empty space in the centre. :thinking:

Do all the clopthes not get flung out to the edges at that speed? They do on ours leaving empty space in the centre. :thinking:
Ha ha, yes they do on mine too Graham! The shot was meant as a bit of fun just to represent the spinning motion, using radial blur on the actual drum part of the machine. Those are just random blobs of colour that I've "spun" in pp :sneaky:

Thanks to Phil and Graham for the comments and confirming you see the shot the right way up. I've now had a look on my laptop and it's the correct way up on that too, so it seems to be just a problem with iPad/Apple, but I'll have to wait for OH to finish reading his newspaper on it before I can investigate any further.

Well, I think I've found out what's happening. It only seems to happen if I take a photo in portrait orientation, then open the file straight into Photoshop (which opens it as landscape) and rotate it 90° CCW to get it to portrait. When I upload it on here, it then rotates a further 90° CCW. However, if I rotate it 90° in Windows Photo Viewer first - which I normally do - before opening it in Photoshop, everything comes out right.

I've also found out that it's not just on this site and not just on the iPad. The same thing happens if I duplicate the process and upload the photo directly from my computer (ie without using an image hosting site) on to Facebook and what's more it comes out the wrong way round on both the pc as well as iPad on FB.

As I said, I normally view all my photos in WPV and turn them the right way round before I start pp-ing, but have opened the odd few straight in Photoshop for the 52 project, so I now know that I need to make sure my photos are the right way up in WPV before I start pp-ing them in Photoshop, but I don't know why it only seems to display sideways on iPads/Apple and not on other pc's on this particular site. So now I'm more confused than ever, but at least I now know how to avoid confusing iPad users on TP and apologise for weird-looking photos previously posted :oops: :$

Last edited:
I learnt in the early days of digital photography .... don't take a photo in portrait orientation .... more trouble than it's worth.

Elaine ... love the latest contribution ... original idea brilliantly snapped. ;)

Thing is d00d, I've been using a digital camera and uploading photos for around 15 years and this is the first time it's happened. But as I said, this project is also probably the first time I've put things into PS without previewing them (and turning them the right way round!) in MPV first. Oh well, you live and learn :)

Anyway, thanks to both you and Mark for having a look and commenting.

Marsha, my PS dates back to the Jurassic period - Version 6.0 :eek: I dare say they've made a few improvements to it since then ;)

Hi Elaine

Started reading the posts from the 1st one by Mandy about the image being the wrong way up & wondered what I'd missed....glad I kept reading as was getting really confuddled :confused:

As for Swirl....brilliant thought , well exectuted...love it...your best to date IMHO :clap:

ps....link from the pic only thread seems to have gone AWOL !

Lynne, sorry for the confuddlement and thanks for comment :D I think I've fixed the link in the main thread now.

Linked

I expect that I'll probably have more ideas later on in the week but here's my first one, inspired by the case of wine I had delivered the other day :D

13332114593_5f7d09c510_c.jpg

Last edited:
Second go at Linked theme. I haven't got the lighting quite right on the chain and after I'd finished editing I realised that the tall moisturiser bottle should have been turned anti-clockwise a smidge so that the reddish line of light reflection went through the centre of the text on it to resemble the red tube in the perfume bottle, but at least I'm starting to notice these things - even if a bit too late :(

13358585863_9ab49125de_b.jpg

1st image well lit just as DK said clipped corner of monitor.

Nice composition in the second and the chain works well. Not keen on the BG at the bottom with the folds showing on the material though.

Thanks DK. I wasn't happy with cropping the top of the monitor but the problem was that the room's too small for me to stand any further back and if I'd got the top of the monitor in at that angle I would have lost all but a sliver of the keyboard, which I was even more unhappy about, so I decided to use the grey toolbar on the screen as the diagonal. I did try it square on, but it just looked too flat to me. Maybe the wrong decision :oops: :$

1st image well lit just as DK said clipped corner of monitor.

Nice composition in the second and the chain works well. Not keen on the BG at the bottom with the folds showing on the material though.
Thanks Michael. I deliberately arranged the black satin material with the loose folds to try and enhance the luxury feeling of the image but it could have done with a bit more light to bring out more of its sheen and look like it's supposed to be there. Problem was there was already more than enough light on the chain, so I was caught between a rock and a hard place :(

Hi Elaine...the monitor shot is a very original idea :) and bang on theme.
The perfume shot I actually like better if I blank out the tall bottle at the back...but I guess then it would lose the 'link' o_O I like the folded material and you have done well with the chain...not easy to do shiny things is it.

Hi Elaine...the monitor shot is a very original idea :) and bang on theme.
The perfume shot I actually like better if I blank out the tall bottle at the back...but I guess then it would lose the 'link' o_O I like the folded material and you have done well with the chain...not easy to do shiny things is it.
Thanks Susie. The moisturiser bottle - yes, I don't know why they put it in such a cheap looking plastic bottle - it's far from cheap :(

Swirl... yes its the right way up for me, lovely colours good work I wouldn't have any idea how to do that in PS well done (y)
Linked... I prefer the second image, I love the colours and I like the way the chain falls too (y)
Thank you Judi. The chain took quite a balancing act to look right and stay put :rolleyes:

Linked - #2 is a far better shot. You mention the lighting on the chain but I quite link the nicely light base material.
Waddayamean "base" material? That's genuine imitation 18 carrot gold that is :p Thanks for the comments and looking in.

Guessing Peter was referring to the black velvet... :)

Looks a real tricky one to light, shiny bits, curved bits, highlights, etc. Think you've done a good job here - and being able to critique your own work means you should have a much shorter route to getting what you want.

Light on the gold *ahem* chain is very good, touch hard to read the writing on the tall bottle but it all ties together well.

I quite like the lighting on the chain Elaine (y) Think the chain and the small bottle go well together (y), not too sure on the tall bottle or the folds in the bg though :thinking: :)

Back