weekly 69bonni (Steve) TP52 2015... Words, Support, Religion and Geometric Added

Hi, Heat, lovely colours in there. I can't see much else, though, not the MIG torch or the mask :thinking:

'Got a handle on this shot' :mooning: :p Wonderful car and nice detail. Nice as it is, I'm not sure the handle adds anything.

Anyways, hope there aren't any more heat related themes, otherwise you'll have to increase your insurance:)

Cheers.

OH NO! In an attempt to show Andy the missing torch and helmet I managed to delete the image! or at least its vanished into somewhere land that I cant find:eek:
I think this was the mark 3 image:rolleyes: But you can see the helmet and Mig torch Andy!
Just thought it would look odd with it cropped right down....

Yes I think my insurance is due to soar if we don't have some more "watery" or perhaps "extinguisher" themes;)
Thanks for popping in Andy

Heat - I'm getting seriously concerned about your health and safety young Mr Steve :eek: You've got good colour in the flame and enough detail to let me see what's going on in the process (n)

Figures - Really liking this one Steve. Well spotted, framed and processed (n)

Heat; lovely colours regardless of with or without the mask and torch.

Figures; good details and perfect framing, the inclusion of the handle set the image stand out.

Hi Stan thanks for popping in! Yes its actually amazing how the flame changes I have a whole series of shots and I ended up selecting the one with the best looking flame. Any slight draft introduced a horrid yellow flare which spoilt the blue. It got pretty hot shooting that and I didn't even melt the lens cap!
It was a great old lorry... The same model as you see ploughing through war torn France in those old WW1 photos. I liked the old handle its a real wrist breaker! I know the person that maintains it and if you get the timing settings wrong when you start it watch out!
Thanks for the comments Stan;)

Heat - I'm getting seriously concerned about your health and safety young Mr Steve :eek: You've got good colour in the flame and enough detail to let me see what's going on in the process (n)

Figures - Really liking this one Steve. Well spotted, framed and processed (n)

"Young" Mr Steve.... Always loved you Jill:D It was getting really hot time I'd finished faffing round, several times the blow torch came off the stand I'd knocked up and also the rod drooped several times out of the flame, Its all good fun:).

I was really stuck on Figures till this came along! My how pleased I was!
Thanks for popping in Jill! and the Kind "Young" comment;)

Heat ... I think is well lit, I can see the mask ... but dark enough to see a red hot glow.

Figures ... you've got the figures, a sizeable piece of old rad and the starting handle complete ... nice crop.

Good to see you living to tell the tale again Steve - and getting the shots to prove it!

Heat - yep, I can almost feel the heat, you've caught the flame perfectly (I can't see the mask, but the shot works anyway) :clap:

Figures - well spotted and nicely taken, and I think it was a good choice to have the handle in the shot as well - it gives a good idea for how old the car is (y)

Household.
I'm surprised I'm the only pillock that tried this! OK well there's like similar here but no one quite the same ... I had the idea as soon as it came out, but didn't have the time to shoot it or find a suitable house. The house had to be fairly unobstructed which this was and despite the Wife's protests of "Hurry Up, my arm aches" I finally got it. Personally I think it looks a bit weird as its 2 shots blended together, one shot with the hand in focus another with the cottage. Well at least the cottage and the camera stayed stationary:rolleyes:. So with the help of Mr Photoshop and a bit of jiggery pokery here we have it! Not happy with this sort of stuff, to me its unnatural, but times whizzing by and just for a change I'm behind!!

Household? by Steve Rickman, on Flickr

Limit! Well this is right up my street .... sort of. So this is another engine rebuild sitting on my bench. For those that like oily, greasy, smelly things (that's the engine BTW not me:rolleyes:) this Is a BSA 650cc A10 motorcycle engine circa 1958-60 with the cylinder head removed, the nice shiny round bits are the tops of the pistons (and for them what knows the bore is on +20 oversize as you can see on the piston crowns). Its come in to be made all better. The bit you can see sticking up from the top of the shot is a rather yucky Magneto this will go away to be professionally rebuilt. This engine has been sleeping in an old bike waiting to have new life breathed into it. It hasn't moved for about 20 years so a bit of work to be done! The pistons and bores are well within "LIMITS" so I just need to strip it down to see that everything is aright inside and fix what needs fixing. Its amazing how many "Rebuilt" engines are an absolute bag of bones, no wonder they leaked, they only need a bit of care, love and attention!!

BTW I don't usually use those callipers it was just to enhance the shot(y)

Limit! by Steve Rickman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Steve - like me on the old catch up eh! (I'm worse than you I think!) Like the household one - good idea (I took one of these type of shots at Pisa - but I think everyone does!) The Limit shot fits the theme - good to read about what everything is as well as I have no clue about motorcycles.

Hi Steve, and nice work on the catch up :) I worry about falling behind because these last few themes have been so tough I think I''d be tempted to throw the towel in and go photograph some flowers :LOL:.

Household - a nice optical illusion (or is it trompe l'oeil?) - whichever way, it fits the theme really well. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have known it's two shots combined, so well done you :clap:

Limit - well, you lost me as soon as you mentioned engine :ROFLMAO: , but I get what the shot's about and that's all that matters. Again, another great idea for the theme and nicely shot. If I'm being picky (sorry), it might have been good to have the bottom of the (insert techy term here) in the shot, but I only see that because it's something I'm guilty (y)

Heat ... I think is well lit, I can see the mask ... but dark enough to see a red hot glow.

Figures ... you've got the figures, a sizeable piece of old rad and the starting handle complete ... nice crop.

Hi David, thanks for popping in! yes I was assured by my mate that starts this old Lorry if you haven't got the timing set right when you start it be ready for a visit to A&E! Cheers David.

Good to see you living to tell the tale again Steve - and getting the shots to prove it!

Heat - yep, I can almost feel the heat, you've caught the flame perfectly (I can't see the mask, but the shot works anyway) :clap:

Figures - well spotted and nicely taken, and I think it was a good choice to have the handle in the shot as well - it gives a good idea for how old the car is (y)

Hi Lorraine, it got really hot shooting that, so if people don't see the heat I certainly felt it! I have re uploaded the shot so you might see the mask now.
It was an old beast of a lorry the Thornycroft works where I live used to build them for the Army in WW1

Hi Steve ....Super shot for heat ...I guess it doesn't get much hotter than that ....smashing colour in the flame.

Figures ....simple but effective, I like the starting handle ....how times have changed eh!

Hi Susie, It can get a bit hotter if I got the welding torch out but I was melting as it was and I was worried that I was going to cook the camera:eek:
Yeah was really stuck on figures so I felt this was a bit of a cop out;)

Hi Steve - like me on the old catch up eh! (I'm worse than you I think!) Like the household one - good idea (I took one of these type of shots at Pisa - but I think everyone does!) The Limit shot fits the theme - good to read about what everything is as well as I have no clue about motorcycles.

Hi Mich, Don't talk about it.... I'm either catching up commenting on peoples photos or trying to get them taken!
The house hold one stumped me for ages:( not my best work but fits the bill I guess;)
Just a smelly old engine I'm rebuilding for someone, they come to me cos I do it properly... Limit came to mind when I dragged it up onto the bench:D thank goodness I found something to shoot!!
Thanks for popping in Mich(y)

Hi Steve, and nice work on the catch up :) I worry about falling behind because these last few themes have been so tough I think I''d be tempted to throw the towel in and go photograph some flowers :LOL:.

Household - a nice optical illusion (or is it trompe l'oeil?) - whichever way, it fits the theme really well. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have known it's two shots combined, so well done you :clap:

Limit - well, you lost me as soon as you mentioned engine :ROFLMAO: , but I get what the shot's about and that's all that matters. Again, another great idea for the theme and nicely shot. If I'm being picky (sorry), it might have been good to have the bottom of the (insert techy term here) in the shot, but I only see that because it's something I'm guilty (y)

Hi Lorraine,
I'm so often behind, but I've got this "I'm not gonna let this beat me" thing going on now! It crosses my mind quite often to throw in the towel but lets not give in eh! I think you just wanna give up so you don't have to witness my chronic photos or my rubbish sense of (military) humour. Or is it you don't want to see photographic evidence of my demise when I finally blow myself up!:ROFLMAO::LOL:
If you jack it in I'm gonna come and find you and make you take pictures of rusty old Motorbikes forever! No flowers ever again:D.

Household ....Hold on just googling trompe l'oeil ..... I think I had one of those to repair once .... is it a French Motorcycle:p. It was all shot together, the hand and arm with the cottage behind, but in one shot I focused on the hand the other on the cottage, then blended them, its OK but not my sort of thing and needs must as I'm getting behind!

Limit....Lump of smelly metal that makes bikes go :D I have a workshop full of them:eek: From Lawn mower engines to goodness knows what else! techy term to be inserted "Crankcase" and just for you I'll shoot it before I split it!;) Was even less interesting than the rest TBH I was sort of focussing on the measuring tool, I was going to crop it right down square see if that worked better, that way the measurement on the calliper might be more prominent too....

Thanks for stopping by Lorraine!

Thank you all for taking time out to look and comment on my Photos and listen to my inane babble! (y)

Last edited:
Hi Steve

Household .... I'm in the photoshop kindergarten, in fact I only know how to use a freebie editor called Paint.Net. Your Household idea is good, very good ... and it's interesting that you went to the trouble of merging two pics, but IMO ... as you did merge two pics I'd have thought it would be easy to make this look more convincing by erasing bits of the hand. Anyway ... I must try this (photo + shoppery) illusion myself. o_O

Limit ... Callipers ... yes on theme but ... not being a pistonhead ... maybe the callipers could have a more amusing use like measuring cake daily calorie input limit or something. :exit:

Hi Steve

Household .... I'm in the photoshop kindergarten, in fact I only know how to use a freebie editor called Paint.Net. Your Household idea is good, very good ... and it's interesting that you went to the trouble of merging two pics, but IMO ... as you did merge two pics I'd have thought it would be easy to make this look more convincing by erasing bits of the hand. Anyway ... I must try this (photo + shoppery) illusion myself. o_O

Limit ... Callipers ... yes on theme but ... not being a pistonhead ... maybe the callipers could have a more amusing use like measuring cake daily calorie input limit or something. :exit:

Hi David,
Don't worry David this was mark 5 image! I went through all the dismembering of the hand, chopped bits off, removed fingers, rings all sorts. Then I tried it in Photoshop! :arghh::D. Seriously though I did try, but which ever way I went it didn't look quite right. Then with time being a constraint and majestically slipping behind I thought to hell with it. So this was the best of the 'not quite rights' I do have a fair number of Photoshop books on PDF if your going to enter the never ending depths of Photoshop!

Limit ... I love your thinking here! That's my type of humour:ROFLMAO: Food for thought ;). Not really a piston head I spose just fix them when piston heads break them. Been fixing them for more years than I can remember:rolleyes:

Thank you for stopping by David(y)

:LOL: ... a pleasure ... as always.

I like your thread Steve. (y)
Ditto! I'm sitting here still pondering your 'Bizarre' shot:):beer:

Bizarre
Deep in the dark forest trees sleep!.... "Ents" are they, and one day Treebeard will summon them again! This Bizarre sleeping tree waits..........
Sad to see the trees down and there seem to be so many:(. I love trees and would love to have just a small piece of forest or open meadow. Now that's enough of my soft side!:rolleyes:

This sleeping giant to me looks "Bizarre" with all it twisted gnarled trunk and branches and its roots sticking up in the air.
I have had a shot at a B&W version and as I'm not really a B&W sorta guy would like any comments good or bad. Especially on tips for converting or how best to PP.
Shot this at High ISO and Silly Shutter speed as Tripod back in the car:rolleyes:, so am amazed at how well it came out considering:)

Bizarre Sleeping Tree Monster by Steve Rickman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Much prefer the b&w version Steve - a medium particularly suited for creating a sense of drama and making things look sinister. Definitely something out of Lord of the Rings.

Much prefer the b&w version Steve - a medium particularly suited for creating a sense of drama and making things look sinister. Definitely something out of Lord of the Rings.
Well hush my lips! Maybe I should consider looking at B&W more often then. Dunno why I don't used to shoot a lot of B&W in days of film:eek:
Appreciate the comments mate(y)

You're welcome. When I want to convert an image from colour, I create a b&w layer in Photoshop and then a Levels layer. With that Levels layer whilst holding down the Alt key, I tease the left and right hand arrows towards the centre in each case until you begin to see a bit of black & white respectively (depending on whether left or right arrows being applied) appear - that's what happens by holding down the Alt. That boosts the contrast and does the trick ... for me anyway. Lots of other methods but that suits me.

Yes I have done that in PS and also used the B&W tool in LR.... Not a great deal in it from what I can see. But thank you for the Info(y)
I can never decide which image I like best when there converted, which is why i have an ever increasing HD:ROFLMAO:

Nice shot Steve and good idea for them. Very bizarre looking! Like both versions.

Nice shot Steve and good idea for them. Very bizarre looking! Like both versions.
Hi Mich, thank you for looking in.... Guess your like me not sure which one is better:). That's my issue I convert something to B&W then I'm even more flummoxed. Glad you like them(y)

... love it! Colour version for me. (y)
Hi there David, thank for looking, saw the tree way off the path so clambered through the wood to the clearing. Thanks for the comments!

Nice angle and agree with Carl that B&W version suits the scene better.
Morning Stan! Yes I did take several different angles and this one, which doesn't seem to conform to any compositional convention seemed to look the best when I got it on the monitor. Another vote for B&W. Wow. Thanks for stooping by Stan(y)

Hi,
No idea why anyone else didn't think of "household" its a good idea though I agree about the blending of the two images maybe you could have done it live
not saying I understand anything you say in "Limit" but your enthusiasm shines through, it works because of that (y)
"Bizarre" the B+W conversion works well, I do like a bit of B+W, you have managed to retain all the textures and tones I am guilty of pushing them a little to much sometimes

I find that pictures of woods turned to monochrome seem to lose something in the conversion in that it makes the main subject blend into the background but this for me is an exception. However, in this case the colour version is also excellent.

hi Steve - household, this is something I love doing and I was going to do it for that theme but in the end I ran out of time. I might do it later though, you've done a very good job there :)
limit - to me that's a measurement of the piston diameter (or the bore) but it doesn't really say limit to me. I dunno, maybe if the piston was too big, maybe? lol quite a difficult theme I thought.
bizarre - I prefer the B&W as it concentrates the eye on the tree a bit more. Did you try any other pov angles? :)

Hi,
No idea why anyone else didn't think of "household" its a good idea though I agree about the blending of the two images maybe you could have done it live
not saying I understand anything you say in "Limit" but your enthusiasm shines through, it works because of that (y)
"Bizarre" the B+W conversion works well, I do like a bit of B+W, you have managed to retain all the textures and tones I am guilty of pushing them a little to much sometimes

Hi Allan
Thanks for popping in! It was the first think that came to mind the literal aspect of house hold:) I was going to shoot it at a nice high aperture but for some stupid reason I didn't, think the boss wasn't happy looking stupid holding her hand out nearer the cottage:rolleyes: Would have been easier in retrospect :)
Yes Limit .... Not sure I have so much enthusiasm nowadays but the money for rebuilding the engine is welcome:)
I'm pleased you like the B&W version I really convert to B&W perhaps I should in future! That's something I never know really how to handle pushing the limits, in the days of film it came out how you took the shot and how you set the camera and what film you used, I think to a degree it was easier then:) There's too much to fiddle with now:eek: So on occasions I have ended up with too many versions and thus confused my poor singular brain cell!
Appreciate the comments Allan

I find that pictures of woods turned to monochrome seem to lose something in the conversion in that it makes the main subject blend into the background but this for me is an exception. However, in this case the colour version is also excellent.

Hi Martin, thanks for looking in
Funny you should say that, that is exactly my feelings about B&W getting lost in the BG! I think you have to have the 'right' sort of photo to convert to B&W and I am crap at identifying that right photo.... This was just an experiment ' to see what it looked like' and I thought to myself that doesn't look half bad! Was surprised that people liked it! I don't often post two shots for a theme but in this case I wanted the view of others as I'm awful at deciding which I like best.
Appreciate your comments Martin(y)

hi Steve - household, this is something I love doing and I was going to do it for that theme but in the end I ran out of time. I might do it later though, you've done a very good job there :)
limit - to me that's a measurement of the piston diameter (or the bore) but it doesn't really say limit to me. I dunno, maybe if the piston was too big, maybe? lol quite a difficult theme I thought.
bizarre - I prefer the B&W as it concentrates the eye on the tree a bit more. Did you try any other pov angles? :)

Hi there Summer, dead jealous about your visit to NY, somewhere I've always wanted to look round. Wanted to do Route 66 before I'm too old to drive it too.
Thanks for the household comment I'm normally really unsure about this sort of thing but I know you have a knack for it! So appreciate your comments even more... It didn't sit so well with me as felt un natural but the hand in focus with the cottage oof looked rubbish so blended the 2 together.

Limit ... Your too clever:) And right of course.... Perhaps I should have focused more on the 'oversize' stamp on the crown of the piston;) + .020 guess I was trying to portray measuring the bore to check if was oversize. Not the way I'd measure it in reality but thought it would make a more visually understandable photo ..... Clearly didn't get that bit right by the comments:eek:

Glad you liked the B&W tree! I did try several different views but all of them didn't display the flailing branches well and I wanted the roots in the shot and this was really the only POV that worked well. Also there were some old log piles closely that got in the way of a clear shot:(
Really appreciate your comments thanks Summer!

Just a note to say I'm keeping up with viewing....Commenting, not so much and shooting not at all :(
Good images though Steve....Loving "Household".

I think my mojo has left me....I'm expecting its divorce papers any day soon!

Hi there Summer, dead jealous about your visit to NY, somewhere I've always wanted to look round. Wanted to do Route 66 before I'm too old to drive it too.

apparently due to its popularity they have started to reopen some of the original route66 :banana: we only did a very small stretch of it near Williams but it's something I definitely want to do, in a classic convertible mustang lol

Hi Steve, good choice for bizarre - I'm always surprised at how shallow the roots look on fallen trees - it's a wonder they manage to stay upright at all really. I'm finding it hard to choose between the two images. You've done a great job with the mono conversion :clap: and b&w always makes things look spookier, but I'm thinking I like the colour one best :):)

Just a note to say I'm keeping up with viewing....Commenting, not so much and shooting not at all :(
Good images though Steve....Loving "Household".

I think my mojo has left me....I'm expecting its divorce papers any day soon!
Hi Ruth
Sorry to hear that Ruth if I find that Mojo I'll send it back by courier! Blimey I'm surprised at the comments about household personally I didn't rate it much, goes to show what I know:)
Appreciate the comments (y)

apparently due to its popularity they have started to reopen some of the original route66 :banana: we only did a very small stretch of it near Williams but it's something I definitely want to do, in a classic convertible mustang lol

Hi Summer, what really cooked it for me was my Son did the trip a couple go of years ago, and he's a bit of a Tog and the pictures he came back with ... Wow! All the out back run down places, deserted towns not to mention all the usual tourist places. He arranged it through this company that specialises in Route 66. It was extremely well organised by them. It's one for the bucket list eh(y)

Hi Ruth
Sorry to hear that Ruth if I find that Mojo I'll send it back by courier! Blimey I'm surprised at the comments about household personally I didn't rate it much, goes to show what I know:)
Appreciate the comments (y)

Thanks Steve.
No doubt it'll find its way home when it get bored ;)

Hi Steve, good choice for bizarre - I'm always surprised at how shallow the roots look on fallen trees - it's a wonder they manage to stay upright at all really. I'm finding it hard to choose between the two images. You've done a great job with the mono conversion :clap: and b&w always makes things look spookier, but I'm thinking I like the colour one best :):)
Yes i mean around here in Hampshire in a lot of places it's solid chalk and that's not far below the topsoil in my garden there's only about a foot of soil before solid chalk so that doesn't help with the tree roots. In Mitcheldever woods where I often walk there are quite a number down. I find it strange as there in the middle of the wood sheltered by other trees so don't know why there over I find it very sad. It might have been from the mini tornado we had rip through Hants early 2014. Also shallow root balls on those that went over.

Glad your struggling with picking which you like best too.... Then I am not alone!:)
Appreciate the comments, and thanks for popping in Lorraine(y)

Back