weekly 69bonni (Steve) TP52 2015... Words, Support, Religion and Geometric Added

Watery ... a very pleasant scene, nice PoV and I like the slight watery milkiness. o_O

Companions - Very fitting, what an 'exciting' hobby you and Paul have :whistle:.

Elegant - I was fortunate in that the object i shot for this was matte ;) so kudos for you with coming up with such a good shot of the reflective porcelain, and that your hands weren't trembling with the threat of the sleeping bag in the garage if you damaged it :eek:

Watery - I really like the composition of this, just needs a bit more oomph I think

Hi Steve .... I've tracked you down[emoji16] - your last couple of pics don't seem to have links to your page?

Companions: essential companions by the look of it! A lack of snow was very disappointing down here too [emoji17], nice shot though, good focus and the whites of the snow there is has been balanced well against the strong colours

Elegant: nice clean BG (wrinkle free - not always easy!) think maybe a smaller aperture to sharpen the focus up on the face features a bit more and a small WB correction in PP maybe. Lighting glossy objects like this is usually a nightmare so I think you've done pretty well![emoji5]️

Watery: really like this shot - lovely tones

Hi Folks! for those thats have taken time to comment i thank you kindly i will individually thank you all. Work has been a nightmare recently so i have not been able to log on as much as i'd like.
No sooner do i manage to get a photograph up and the next theme is out:eek:... So Relax .... uummmmm SWMBO says i dont know the meaning of the word so maybe why i'm struggling!

Anyhow so were on BOLD!
where i work in the stairwells are some typefaces taken from the old letter press days and guess what, there quite bold. However what i hadnt anticipated was the lighting nightmare! So we have the stairwell ..... Directly above the plaque is a 6 foot fluorescent tube on every other landing is a window with direct sunlight (to my rear) and up the side are incandescent lamps.... I think I'm a masochist.... Just to add to the fun I'm using a SB900 speedlight i have never used before. Now you have to imagine its lunch time! Thankfully not many of the employees are up for keeping fit and i only had a few "What the hell are you doing" moments. I will not tell you how many shots i took but, if it had still been the days of film, it wouldnt have been a cheap shoot:rolleyes:.
I think the only place i didnt have position the flash is where the sun doesnt shine. eventually i risked turning the fluorescent off to get some of the final shots. This was one of my best attempts. I did explore B&W but i really wanted to keep the warm grain of the wood intact, and i dont think it was contrasty enough when i converted to B&W.

Thank you for viewing, all comments even negative ones are appreciated (if you qualify your comments please).

BOLD! by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Hi Steve,

Bold - that's a great interpretation of the theme, very different. I can't offer any crit I'm afraid - I haven't yet ventured into the world of flash and lighting. It sounds as though you had quite a task on your hands, but I think it's worked out well and I really like the tones

Watery - I like this and it looks a really nice place to shoot. Shame about the gamekeeper, I'm sure you weren't hurting. I like how the wooden thingy to the round hut thingy leans my eye into the photo. I think the water looks nice and silky to help the photo emphasis watery. I wonder if a tad of saturation to bring the greens out would help but thats being picky. All in all, nice image (y)
Hi Mike, Sorry i hadnt got back you on your comments! Yes its a lovely place but they get a bit tetchy about people wantering around the place as its prime Trout fishing and fishermen pay stupid anounts of money to fish there so i guess they have a point. Yes thats a little walk way across the river and those cones that you see used to be lowered into the river to catch the Eels. Yes i havnt processed it much so will probabaly revisit it. Thanks very much for taking the time to comment.

Nice watery shot and good composition too. Would like to see a touch more exposure though.
Hi Stan thanks for dropping by! thanks very much for your comments, appreciated. I was going to lift the exposure a tad but its pretty close with the sky on the horizon, didnt want to blow it out.
Thanks for popping in!

Elegant - a nice find for the theme, but I do find the catch lights all over the ornament a smidge distracting.
Watery - fits the theme nicely and looks like a nice pretty spot.

Hi Mandy, Oh tell me about it, should have picked a subject that had a matt finish:rolleyes:. No matter how i tried i could not get rid of them.... well thats a lesson learnt! Thans for stopping by appreciate it. Yes its a great place at dawn and dusk!

Elegant: beautiful pic of figurine can only add what others have said about specular highlights. Good to see pjm"s comments good luck far too complex for me at the moment.

Watery. Lovely image. water looks really cold.

Hi Mandy! Yes its a pain, those highlights! i did say to my wife i could use the old theater lighting trick of spraying things with hair spray to take off the gloss and make it less reflective..... didnt go down too well:(.
It was cold by the river but colder at dawn ;). Thank you for your comments!

Hi Steve

Elegant - it's a good shot and fits the theme well. I can't give anything like the level of crit that Paul has as I don't do lighting either (maybe something for the shopping list), but having faffed about trying to kill reflections on a china mug this afternoon I know it's tricky and you've not done a bad job.

Watery - that looks like a lovely place to visit (maybe on the gamekeeper's day off?). It's bang on theme and I like the way you've used the two diagonals (the river bank and the eel trap) to draw the eye round the shot. Nice soft tones and great light, good stuff :)

Hi Lorraine, Thank you for your kind comments. Yes playing with flash and lighting is my idea of hell :eek:. But Paul has given me some food for thought, i want to be able to use a flash with confidence, i will get there eventually. To be fair he was within his rights as i had accidentally jumped over a gate to take the picture:whistle:.

Watery ... a very pleasant scene, nice PoV and I like the slight watery milkiness. o_O
Hi David, Thanks for taking the time to look. Glad you liked it one of my favourite places! Thank you for stopping by.

Companions - Very fitting, what an 'exciting' hobby you and Paul have :whistle:.

Elegant - I was fortunate in that the object i shot for this was matte ;) so kudos for you with coming up with such a good shot of the reflective porcelain, and that your hands weren't trembling with the threat of the sleeping bag in the garage if you damaged it :eek:

Watery - I really like the composition of this, just needs a bit more oomph I think

Hi Jill, Thanks for popping into my Post! Yes i could ramble on about all that stuff but i'd be in danger of boring you to death:rolleyes:. I just have to take it a bit easier nowadays as apparently i'm not 18 anymore:eek:.
Yes the boss was watching me like a hawk, had i bounced it i think i would have had an internally implanted Nikon. Taking shots like that just isnt my bag but its nice to learn. I'm out of my comfort zone with that sort of photography:eek:
Yes i was trying to not give it too much ooommmpppfff and be a bit subtle with the PP as it was late evening and the colours were soft..... I might dial in a bit more Ooommff and see what it looks like :).
Thank you very much for stopping by, your comments are always welcome!

Hi Steve .... I've tracked you down[emoji16] - your last couple of pics don't seem to have links to your page
Companions: essential companions by the look of it! A lack of snow was very disappointing down here too [emoji17], nice shot though, good focus and the whites of the snow there is has been balanced well against the strong colours

Elegant: nice clean BG (wrinkle free - not always easy!) think maybe a smaller aperture to sharpen the focus up on the face features a bit more and a small WB correction in PP maybe. Lighting glossy objects like this is usually a nightmare so I think you've done pretty well![emoji5]️

Watery: really like this shot - lovely tones

Hi Ferg, How you doing? the links probably went a bit squiffy as they had a touch of the "lightroomitus". But the pillock that screwed up the link has reinstated them now:rolleyes:.
Yes lighting is always a nightmare for me indoors.... I just work at dawn and dusk outdoors easy, give me a landscape any day;).... indoors flash and all that malarkey:eek: I have tweaked the WB a bit now it was off now its better. Something hapened with the focus as some shots were of and i normally use Liveview and focus manually. I think i was having a bad day and yes the DOF was a bit optomistic:( Not sure what possessed me there (optomistic is a better choice of words than crap).
Yes the River Test is a lovely spot!

Thank you very much for all your comments, there really appreciated Ferg!
All the best
Steve

Bold, definitely works well in colour, I don't think it would have the same impact in mono.
Interesting subject too (y)

Yes well lit, nice colour, nice idea for the theme.

Hi Steve,

Bold - that's a great interpretation of the theme, very different. I can't offer any crit I'm afraid - I haven't yet ventured into the world of flash and lighting. It sounds as though you had quite a task on your hands, but I think it's worked out well and I really like the tones

Hi Lorraine, thank you for stopping by. Oh don't go there I struggle with it too! I think I too that subject on just to see if I could do it with a lot of interfering light :eek: Yes it has lovely tones which is why I wanted it. Thank you for your kind comments.

Bold; very different take on the theme and I like it a lot. Nice even lighting and looks like some kind of abstract art. I thought you done really well considering the restrictions and different type of lighting you are facing.

Hi Stan, thanks for looking, yes it's the old type face that was used for printing. It used to be set in frames and the paper pressed against it gather it was inked, back in the day. Thanks for the comments especially on the lighting. Appreciate the comments Stan.

Bold, definitely works well in colour, I don't think it would have the same impact in mono.
Interesting subject too (y)

Hi Chis, and Happy Birthday for yesterday!:beer:Hope you had a great day! Yes I think I have a bit of mono phobia, I can see that it works in some photos but I just have this block about converting to mono:rolleyes: Dunno why. Perhaps one day I'll See the light:eek:. Yes I walk past these every day on the way into the office (I work for a Large Print machinery manufacturer) and these wooden print blocks are on the three landings. The from the days when we used to manufacture letter press machines. Thanks for popping in, hope you don't have a hangover today;)

cool subject matter, id say you done extremely well with lighting given your explanation. nice shot

Hi thanks Nathan, really appreciate the comments, they are rather groovy aren't they don't think my boss would let me take them home though:( Thanks for looking in!

Yes well lit, nice colour, nice idea for the theme.

Glad you like it David, it's different isn't it! Glad I managed to get it to work. Thanks for the comments

Bold - interesting concept for the theme, I like it plenty of interest in the image. Well composed and nicely lit and good colours.

Hi Mandy, yes I thought it was different! Lots of different tones got there with the lighting finally! Thank you for popping in again Mandy nice to have you stop by:)

BOLD does what it says on the tin and well done for getting such a lovely pic in those horrendous lighting conditions :clap::clap:

I really like your Bold image Steve, its a smashing attempt. I would happily hang something like the piece you photographed in my house too. Fancy "borrowing" it from work and posting it too me? :LOL:

I really like the bold image too Steve - when I saw it in the original thread was interested to find out what it was so glad you explained. Sounds like you worked hard to get the lighting right - good job super shot! :)

BOLD does what it says on the tin and well done for getting such a lovely pic in those horrendous lighting conditions :clap::clap:
Hi Jill, still trying to think of a appropriate reply to your posting of bold other than WOW!.... I'm afraid I can't beat that.... Anyhow thanks so much for popping in. I'm quite pleased with the lighting too, anyhow what idiot would attempt to take a photo with a new flash that he's never read the manual for:rolleyes:.... Not that I want to make life difficult or anything! Thanks for the kind comments I'll be round to your post shortly;).

I really like your Bold image Steve, its a smashing attempt. I would happily hang something like the piece you photographed in my house too. Fancy "borrowing" it from work and posting it too me? :LOL:
Nice to see you pop by Rob, the Rugby's getting a bit interesting isn't it mate! Anyhow yes it's interesting isn't it! I have looked on line and apparently you can buy them like this too. Never thought to look before to be honest. Bit of history I guess. Anyhow might be a bit heavy to post, but the office is not very far from Twickers if your up;). Cheers Steve

I really like the bold image too Steve - when I saw it in the original thread was interested to find out what it was so glad you explained. Sounds like you worked hard to get the lighting right - good job super shot! :)

Hi Michalene, yes it's how everything was printed, in a big frame with all the individual letters set up by a typesetter to form a big block that would become the page, it was a time consuming way to set up a printing press! But there quite interesting to look at. I really made myself work for that picture:eek:. Also got a few comments from the odd colleague, some were even nice comments!
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the comments!

I like it Steve. Sometimes going through "hassle" to get your shot is worth it for the learning process. I like the way the browns and the bricks all seem to be different shades of the same colour. A different take on the theme which works and is nice to see. Well done!

Hi Ian, thanks for popping in mate. It was certainly a learning curve! Trying to deal with multiple light sources was interesting to say the least. Was considering ditching the flash altogether working on too many light sources spoil the broth!
The other big mistake was assuming that the SB900 I'd just got from a friend for a very good deal, worked the same as my little SB 600:eek:. It did come out not too bad in the end with a little tickle in L/room.
Thanks for the kind comment Ian

Hi Steve

Bold...has taken me quite a few looks & reads of your words to decipher what I'm looking at...I though originally you'd spent ages cutting letters out & putting together a montage & I'll not mention how long I've spent trying to make words out of all those letters :oops: :$

Like the image, more so with the back story & your tale of lighting woes....it really does work very well & is a great take on the theme (y)

Brilliant bold image. Sounds like it took some time for you to get a shot you were happy with and it has paid off:clap: lighting is fine. Thanks for sharing the story.

Nothing like a RELAXING afternoon with a Hot Cuppa and a bit of tinkering.... Time for the 1967 BSA 650cc Thunderbolt to have a new clutch! For those that know about these things its having a seven plate clutch conversion, with alloy pressure plate as produced by the Dunstall racing team back i the day. If it means nothing to you, dont worry, its just one of those greasy old British motorbikes from the 60's, that allegedly leak oil everywhere (but not if you put them together correctly). So this was taken in the workshop sat on the tripod (Not me the Camera) with natural light ... after finding this wasnt really enough, I added a diffused LED camera light as a little fill lighting, (not as harsh as a flash) had to tweak up the ISO to get the exposure i was happy with..... Things to consider next time ...... Wash hands between working on oily bikes and taking Photographs:rolleyes:.

I struggled (yet Again) with the theme this time, so having a chat with a mate i put the problem to him, and he asked the simple question what do you do to relax apart from Photography? Well i dont really have time, except for....... Working in the workshop? Well its my idea of relaxing, a piping hot mug of tea and a smelly greasy motorbike (well their quite polished actually). So folks i have burdened you with my slightly shoe-horned image.... Better get my backside in Gear (if you excuse the pun) for Vertical, else it'll be Friday and i'll have another on my case :eek:.

BSA A65T .... Relax by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Thank you for looking!

Relax - now I agree whole heartidly with you there is nothing more relaxing in the world. Than sitting down with a cup of tea and tinkering with the bike, lord knows I spent a great deal of time tinkering with my bike.

Hi Mandy.... you didnt tinker with the washing machine then;). Did you manage to get it fixed in the end?
Yes didnt want to use an archive picture else i would have put up a climbing or walking picture from the mountains so down to the bike shed!
I have rebuilt a number of bikes and repaired more than i can remember, but i think i'm goning to have to call an end to my biking days:(. My achilles accident means i dare not try and kick them over so i start them on a pit starter, but you cant really drag one of those around to start them when your out. I did consider a modern bike but would probably kill myself on something like that. Plus there are some many inconsderate drivers out there and it only takes one idiot! So i think the time has come to hang up my boots.:(.

Anyhow thanks for popping by Mandy nice to see you....
I'm on a roll now so i'm just going to post Vertical.... OMG i'm going to be up to date! now theres a first:rolleyes:.

VERTICAL ish

On a roll today was out in the town and the sun was striking the side of the Matrix House building in the town centre. It brought up some lovely Bronze colours in the towers and had some great reflections to boot! Not really my bag but its easier than lighing something indoors:eek:.
Now its unlike me to be up to date but i'm sure its not going to last for long;).

See if you can spot which part is actually vertical:rolleyes:

Thanks for looking!

Vertical...Matrix House by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Steve

Bold....Really REALLY like that. Very striking.

Relax. Well if "tinkering" floats your boat, it must fit the theme! :)

Vertical. Definitely fits the theme, and I love this kind of shot anyway. I "think" I've spotted the vertical too :)

Hi, love the motorbike pic, I don't tinker myself with engines but understand why people do, including the cuppa makes it for me

Vertical works well even if there is only a little bit thats perfectly vertical

... not a tinkerer, I like the Vertical shot. (y)

I've found that to get things actually vertical from ground level you have to stretch your image in PP.

Relax, why is there a Dorito's stuck to the cylinder fins Steve? :D
Nothing like the odd "tinker" here and there, to help you relax (y)

Vertical,
See if you can spot which part is actually vertical:rolleyes:
I'm not convinced that any of it is :D
but the left hand bar down the windows comes close ;)
Nice processing (y)

yep, my idea of relaxing is that :)

vertical - I have lots of pics of that building :D is it the sun life one (summat like that) - have to say though it is leaning slightly to the right :p

Vertical - wow I really like this nice building very fitting for the theme. Nothing for me to crit :clap::clap:................ Noooooooooooooooooo it can't be time to give up biking get a little 125 which are light and cheap to keep on the road. As for my washing machine I am still having to hand wash clothes, no point messing with a washing machine with broken bearings. As on my specific hot point machine that's a complete drum which is around £99.00 and then there's the belt that's come off that makes it all spin. It's a 9ish year old machine and just had a new drum fitted about a year and a half ago, so not really cost effective to through more money at it that I can't afford.

Relax: Love the BSA - I can almost smell the oil. Tea is a really nice touch too. It brought my heart rate down.. Love it.

Karl

Hi Steve,

Relax - I thought at first that you had some expensive tea making kit there! ;) and though it's a bike (which I know nowt about), you've got the important part in - the tea, so (y) from me.

Vertical - that's a belter, I love it. You're right about the light - some lovely tones there. I was struggling to find the bit that's vertical, so I cheated and moved my head :) Well done

Watery - Nice image with good early morning or late evening light. Nice use of a slightly longer exposure on the water

Bold - Well spotted for the theme. For me a slight straightening on the bottom edge would just line things up.

Relax - Fits your interpretation of relaxing. Not sure I could relax until all that was put back together and working again ;)

Vertical - Good use of the local architecture. That patch of blue has really helped this

Firstly many apologies 9/10 weeks in and i have missed your thread completely.

Looking back through your pics is a great mix of some clever ideas with twists on themes not thought of Fragile, Relax & Bold.
your Companions & Bliss are well set up composition wise. A couple of really nice landscapes for scenic and watery your scenic shot is probably my fav shot of your so far perfect framing.
And Vertical you have captured from a great angle with some nice detail and reflection and as Peter says the sky make a good shot better.

Last edited:
Hi Steve :)

A big catch up from me, sorry not been around much, didn't think I was this far behind :(

Companions - Well these are certainly on theme, a good crop and plenty of detail, nice idea :)

Elegant - Liking the way you have lit this one and the black background, I'd like to see a tiny more DoF, other than that I really like the highlights !!

Watery - Oooo very nice indeed, real nice colours, good composition and milky water - Spot On (y)

Bold - Again a very good choice, well lit again, good colours and loads of detail :)

Relaxing - Oooo that would do my head in, nice different idea again and well executed.

Vertical - Well it must be somewhere, difficult with buildings of this size, love the shininess, reflections and the patch of blue sky, again a good choice for the theme :)

Even megga catch up for me with posting photos..... See what happens when you go away for a bit:eek:
Sorry folks i am still here so now going to attempt a mega catch up.....

Mouth
Here is Eric, blowing you some bubbles thought id try a different sort of mouth, i wont tell you how many frame it took for Eric to play ball. Tripod and Wireless remote was the order of the day.
Mouth.jpg by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Crowd
So here's a clue to where i have been! Here's a Crowd of toggers merrily clicking away off the back of the Oriana. Not the best shot but i had TP in mind, and i know its probably not the best, but it is a crowd of toggers so theres a point for that and their is Mountains and Snow! Would have cropped it a bit but would have lost some of the crowd....:)
Crowd.jpg by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Close Up
Thought this Gerbera would do the job. What a happy bright flower it is. Putting up in front of a deep blue background brought up the colours a bit.
Close Up.jpg by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Machine
Here is my beloved 1969 T120R Bonneville rebuilt a few years ago by my own fair hands. This is the model that all those New Bonneville's you see running around the roads today were based on. She is a truely lovely machine, however there is a very sad bit to finish up on.
As much as i love her dearly and it breaks my heart i am going to have to sell her:( (and the others). I have put it off for about 3 years now but i have to face reality. My injuried leg wont stand kicking bikes over any more:(. After kick starting a BSA gold star and snapping my achillies tendon which subsequently snapped a second time during recovery the consultant said i'd be mad to Kick bikes over again. Whilst i am mad i need to be able to walk! It's a terrible decision as bikes have been in the family and along with the name Rickman which has been synonymous with the days of trials and scrambles over the years. So its in the blood, but there comes a time where you have to hang up your boots(n). Not to mention the nutters on the busy roads today!
Machine.jpg by rickman.steve, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back