7th time down avenue 52 COMPLETED

I haven't been around for a few weeks so a quick catch-up from me, and a mention for my favourites of your recent images. I really like your 'Evolve' image for the curved opening and the details inside the cave, and you've done well to balance the exposure or process to balance it. 'Vivid' is another that stands out for the background, the light and the delicate colours and details. Interested to read that it was at the long end of your 150-600 as that's a lens that has been calling to me, so this image is another tick in the "I really need this lens" column :D I liked your idea for Large and agree that the second, cropped version works well to show the difference in sizes.

Hi Michael.

Large - The Antonov 124 really does loom large over the 737, well timed to get them lined up. Quite an odd angle, it makes the 737 appear to be sitting on it's belly (and I know that's not the case as it's just done the FR1885 from Lisbon to Stansted).
Architecture - Works well in B&W and I think the vertical distortion suits the shot.
Broken - Only insomuch as it's broken down to it's constituent parts.
In the shot I can see 20 050, Rocket and Sir Nigel Greasley but I have no idea what the cab is off of.

Hi Michael, I like the crop for Large I think it works well.

Love the shop for Architecture what a great name, perfect in the b&w.

Broken ... looks as if there's lots of hard work ahead there, the angle takes it all in.

Transport ...our wonderful Lifeboat crew, nice shot with the trailing surf.

The moth stands out well for Minimalistic.

Transport is a nice and clean shot, very sharp and great colours. I wonder if it would work even better if the life boat wasn't dead centre.
Minimalistic is an interesting one, what is the background, a softbox?

Transport is a nice and clean shot, very sharp and great colours. I wonder if it would work even better if the life boat wasn't dead centre.
Minimalistic is an interesting one, what is the background, a softbox?

It's actually a window, the light was coming through quite nicely and led to a nice bright bg. The lifeboat could indeed work with another composition.

Nice shot of a green and pleasant landscape with a kiosk in the upper left corner, well composed and right on theme!

Hi Michael

Minimalistic is interesting, about the right amount of light coming through, with the grid ... works well. And the moth is nicely positioned in the frame.

Lots going on in Pleasure ... FG bridge and wall RHS framing everything nicely.

(y)

Face
I think she's giving you the evil eye.
Shame about the yellow tags in the ears, they're just a little bright. That being said, i still like it, it's a good composition.

Good to catch the tongue out on tiny
Face is nice and sharp and somhow looks quite serious but I have to agree with Dominic about the ear tags but I guess they can't be avoided these days

Tongue is a goood feature in Tiny, just need to drop the highlights down in Face I reckon....

Hi Michael,

Pleasure - Agreed, that is a very pleasurable image. @d00d has the measure of it regarding the framing :)
Tiny - Good piece of camera work to get that image. Nice and sharp at the front with a pleasing amount of focus blur.
Face - Definitely a face not to argue with ;) I have to agree with Dom regarding the tags. Droping the highlights a bit (perhaps selectively) should help.

Good dof on tiny Michael and a nice bg too :) Face, like the close up of the cow as it`s right in your face sort of shot (y)

Face
I think she's giving you the evil eye.
Shame about the yellow tags in the ears, they're just a little bright. That being said, i still like it, it's a good composition.

Good to catch the tongue out on tiny
Face is nice and sharp and somhow looks quite serious but I have to agree with Dominic about the ear tags but I guess they can't be avoided these days

Tongue is a goood feature in Tiny, just need to drop the highlights down in Face I reckon....

Hi Michael,

Pleasure - Agreed, that is a very pleasurable image. @d00d has the measure of it regarding the framing :)
Tiny - Good piece of camera work to get that image. Nice and sharp at the front with a pleasing amount of focus blur.
Face - Definitely a face not to argue with ;) I have to agree with Dom regarding the tags. Droping the highlights a bit (perhaps selectively) should help.

Thanks all, those tags were annoying, thankfully I was in a hide, other wise I wouldn't have got the image. In terms of the highlights, they were pulled right back in elements and camera raw, the 7dmk2 frustrates me a little here, because there are times when I pull the highlights back and it works a treat, and then there are others like this where it's not giving me a result a I want.

A fine looking beast, but I'd like to be able to see what number she is. ;)

Hi Michael, that close-up of the moth is a cracker with details in the moth itself and the flower. I can never seem to get close enough before creatures fly away :( The head-on angle works well for the Face theme, and the edited version is a definite improvement, bringing the details back and adding a lovely warmth to the brown tones.

I like the horses, they all stand out so well against a clean BG.

And the car is just great! A model presumably. Excellent POV and processing.

Loving the graceful shot, great BG to really set off the butterfly. Agriculture is my pick though, just love horses from my riding days, lovely colours too. Vehicle is a nice shot, good angle on the toy car :)
Great close up of the cow too.

Thank you Dave.

Vehicle
That's really well done with the water and a good idea.

Thanks Dominic.

Some nice ones there Michael, that butterfly soooo looks like a leaf, nice dark background and lighting make it stand out a treat... but of the shots above I so love the quirkiness of the car image, selective colour at that, like it (y)

THanks dean, the butterfly was a female, much paler than the males, first time I have ever photographed and seen a female brimstone too, always been males. I tried all sorts of positions with the car, finally settled on this one, pleased you like it!

I love your butterfly Michael - so effective against the dark background.

Thanks Emma, the lighting was just right allowing it to darken nicely in pp.

I like the horses, they all stand out so well against a clean BG.

And the car is just great! A model presumably. Excellent POV and processing.

Thanks David. A model it was, a patient one at that too lol....

Fabulous butterfly - it looks so much like a leaf I didn't realise at first! The model car is unusual too, looks like a model sitting on a wet metal surface, or is that the processing? I like the selective colour of the rear light, too.

Thank you Andrea, the bg of the car is a black glass outdoor table after it had rained.

Now for fruit and piece to get me back up to date.

fruit

photographed at woolsthorpe manor, the birth place and home of sir issac newton. This was the very tree where it all began for gravity.

fruit, nweton's apple tree by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

piece

A building in birmingham, reminded of the tetris game

birmingham #5 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Hi Michael, some really super shots there, I really like Face ... I love the head on steady gaze, that's definitely an enviable photo. Graceful is another beauty, Fruit sits well against the blue sky, and I like the added historical link it adds extra interest. Piece, what an excellent find for the theme, perfect in the stark black and white.

Just a few quick comments.
Tiny - nice, sharp macro, and the color contrast is very nice

Face - the edit has such beautifully rich color (and I adore cows!)

Graceful - it took me a minute to realize that was a butterfly instead of a leaf, the dark background really makes the colors pop

Agriculture - lovely colors; this is a completely personal preference, but I would crop out the sky to just above the trees to put more emphasis on the horses

Vehicle - it is my favorite of the catch ups, the composition makes me believe the model car is sitting on a full sized car

Fruit - I like the green against the blue, and the history of the tree is interesting

Piece - the windows on the right side of the building are definitely Tetris shapes, monochrome works well in this photo

Piece, love that building. I'd crop out the sky and would work better, IMO if you could have got more square on. Keep thinking I see faces in the windows :)

Cheers.

Back