weekly Alet's 52 for 2015 - Week 8: Relaxed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all, here is my 52 thread for 2015. I fell down fairly early on last year, and I think my main problem was that none of my images felt good enough to post, so I gave up eventually. This year I'm posting the best I have every week, however good (or not) I think it is. Hoping to improve my photography and have some fun along the way too.

Without further ado, here is my take on Week 1 - Bliss.

Bliss when the alarm's set for 5am by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

I'll get in first with critique and say how absolutely appalled I am at my own dusting skills. Must do better with housework...

Another image I like.

At first glance it may seem simple, but simple works, and the identification I get with the "ten more minutes" draws me in. It is case of "explanation needed" here because at first glance, a 4:50 alarm would say "hell" for me. But that's a good thing because I stayed with the image trying to figure out "why 4:50?"

The lamp casts a soft light over the image, the matching curtains and bed linen also work well. You have a good range of tones right through the image and whilst I might crop some of the top of the image away, I think you have a nice framing eye.

I sometimes think we're our own worst critics so don't give up. These challenges are named that way for a reason. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Welcome back Alet :)

That's a nice image to start your 52 with... that would be bliss for me, another 55 mins in bed :)

It looks a nice natural shot, the low light works well and as said liking the colour co-ordination, helps pull the image together for me - Good Start (y)

Just a note on what you said above, don't be afraid to post a shot, we all have 'Post and Be Damned' weeks, it doesn't matter at all, the thing is if you don't post them up you will struggle to improve :)

Hi the whole point of this project is for people to feedback on your photographs, don't drop out because you don't think your photographs are any good. Others might be able to offer you advice to improve your photographs

Bliss at 4:15 in the morning, not for me it isn't ;)

Nice subdude lighting but I would like to see a close crop to get rid of the curtain on the left.

Welcome aboard

Hi Alet & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Like that shot -though I must say that 4:50 would not be Bliss for me...unless I could roll over & go back to sleep :D

Like it though,well lit , the "just got out of bed" rumpled sheets with the matching curtains tying it all together as a proper room rather than a set up shot (y)

& as others have said , don't worry about posting shots , we are our own worst critics at times....& always remember , everyone's in the same boat :)

Hi Alet

I agree that 4.50 would not be my idea of bliss, but totally love the idea of this!
Keep them coming!
:)

Hi, as above really a great idea works well but 4.50 not my idea of bliss

Thank you everybody for your kind and constructive feedback. 4.50's not my idea of bliss either! but alas I have elderly dogs that usually need to go out at that time, so the closest I get to bliss at that time of the morning is to be able to get back under the sheets.

...I would like to see a close crop to get rid of the curtain on the left.
Good idea, thanks, have tried that and it works very well.

"He" does look a little fragile doesn't he?
I think I'd prefer to call it "well loved" though. :D

Both nice interpretations (y)

Hello all, here is my 52 thread for 2015. I fell down fairly early on last year, and I think my main problem was that none of my images felt good enough to post, so I gave up eventually. .
Oh, and don't worry about that, you want to see some of the crap I'm turning out.
I'm only in it for fun.
Just enjoy the ride (y)

Hi Alet and welcome back to the 52's, I hope you stay and enjoy it this year.

Really liking your Bliss shot ... it's something different from the run of the mill ones.

Excellent choice for Fragile too, he does indeed look as if he needs handling with tender loving care :)

Hi Alet, that definitely looks like an old and therefore fragile (snow)teddy.

I like your processing and lighting, although the top of the frame and seeing the face of the person holding maybe doesn't work as well as just having the jumper as a background? I don't know... it's a good shot regardless.

Thank you everybody for the kind comments. Snowman has indeed been very much loved over the years; nowadays he lives out of harm's way on top of the wardrobe and it was indeed a special occasion for him to come down.

Hi Alet, that definitely looks like an old and therefore fragile (snow)teddy.

I like your processing and lighting, although the top of the frame and seeing the face of the person holding maybe doesn't work as well as just having the jumper as a background? I don't know... it's a good shot regardless.
I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the model (not Snowman, the person holding him) was in a rush and I couldn't experiment with the framing as much as I would have liked.

The weather was terribly unhelpful this week for the theme Scenic. Mr. Lego Man's timing wasn't so great today, but he will definitely be returning to this spot again at a different time of day to get a nice framed photograph of the local stately home.

Not so scenic by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Alet,
Like your bliss and fragile images... Love Snowman, I think he should come out when there's snow and at Christmas at least!
I wonder if Mr Lego man has National Trust membership :)
Nice piece of of weathered timber Lego mans stood on! Nice sharp focus too.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Alet,
I wonder if Mr Lego man has National Trust membership :)
Nice piece of of weathered timber Lego mans stood on! Nice sharp focus too.
Mr. Lego Man doesn't have National Trust membership - he leaves that sort of admin to his minions (who are members). It's part of a lovely big frame for taking photographs of Beningbrough Hall.

Scenic - nice shot of Mr Lego Man, I feel he looks a bit lost with all that open space around him.
Thanks for commenting. I lost track of this while trying to get both him and the house in the frame. If I did this again I would lower the viewpoint a bit, which would mean I can move closer and picture him at a size he deserves.

Last edited:
Next up is my take on last week's theme. I'm a bit late with this one as I've been ill (monster cold) and a bit short of inspiration. Here is the photograph I planned.

Trusty companions by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

Then, five minutes later, just as I was waiting for the kettle to boil for tea, I caught an incident involving the dogs' bowls, which made me laugh, and also fits the theme.

Partners in crime by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

Last edited:
Companions, That's a great impromptu hen shot,
although the boots fit (groan) the theme, I prefer the hens (y)

Elegant, Nice detail in the flowers too (y)

Elegant.
So so pretty.
Lovely detail retained. Well done!

Hi,

Companions - I just love those chickens, great idea :)

Elegant - great fit to the theme, snowdrops are really elegant flowers and the shot's very well composed, I really like that

:clap:

Hi Alet

Companions...like the boots shot , sharp & in a good setting....was there a particular reason for shooting them from behind rather than the head on view ? Only curious as to your reasons :)

Elegant.....didn't think of Snowdrops but the fit the theme perfectly , like the layout & the bright high key bg (y) I think, with a few little tweaks in PS you'd be able to bring out the slight shadows on the petals & make the green stems pop a little more :)

Great timing and capture with the hen shot, this is my preferred of the 2. The boots look like they are in a police line up with those steps in the background!

Elegant, really likingthis, just lovely (y)

Hi Alet - I like all of those! Scenic works well and Mr Lego man looks quite content. Nice light. Negative space works really well for me in this shot.

First Companions shot is my favourite, but slighty softer lighting might help a bit: wait for more cloud!

Elegant is very pretty, perfectly on theme and well shot - really well done!

Thank you everybody for the lovely comments.

Companions, That's a great impromptu hen shot,
although the boots fit (groan) the theme, I prefer the hens (y)
I prefer the hens too!

Companions...like the boots shot , sharp & in a good setting....was there a particular reason for shooting them from behind rather than the head on view ? Only curious as to your reasons :)
I just thought that they seemed more worn from the back. Looking back now, the yellow bits are a bit distracting and photographing them from the front would have avoided this.

First Companions shot is my favourite, but slighty softer lighting might help a bit: wait for more cloud!
Fair point, thanks.

Nice idea for companions, I think you could bring a lot out of the image by converting it to black and white and adding a bit of contrast.
Good idea. I tried it out and I think I actually prefer the mono version.
Companions by Alet Davroux, on Flickr

Hi Alet.
I do like your watery image, I know you said about the lighter grass in the background, and think a conversion to mono would be the solution. It would emphasise the repeating pattern more too, which I really like about the image.
Bold is a different idea and well seen

Last edited:
Watery I like the concept but I think its a bit dark and flat.
I doubt that a re-shoot is possible, but I think that you would have been better off using a long exposure rather
than a stopper. Just my opinion of course :)

Bold, they look like a couple of "bold" potential car thieves to me ;)

I like your watery a lot, really says watery to me, and the darkness doesn't spoil it. Bold however doesn't fit the theme for me. Maybe if there'd been a bunch of similar cars and one different but you'd be hard pressed to 'arrange' that lol

Back