Allan.H 52 2020 WEEK 52 DECOR(ATE) added

Great camera shot Alan, nice lighting and composition, I remember the little aftermarket red button on the shutter release, had one on my Nikon FE were they called a soft shutter release?

Great camera shot Alan, nice lighting and composition, I remember the little aftermarket red button on the shutter release, had one on my Nikon FE were they called a soft shutter release?
I think so Roger not sure as I was given a couple but that does ring a bell
Thanks for looking in

That's nicely weird Allan, oil on water?

Oil say I like that :D

Great image. It's very abstract - it could almost be a landscape aerial shot.

WEEK 51 SHOWCASE

Beluga by Allan Howe, on Flickr

Perhaps not the greatest photograph but the most exciting one I took this year, this is the Airbus Beluga it transports wings to France.
It was taken during the lockdown, we were having a walk down the river Dee I only had the Fuji X100F on me which is a fixed 23mm lens not the best for aviation photography,
I saw it in the distance coming into land at Hawarden Airport which was just over the river from where I was. I managed to place myself directly in its flightpath as it passed over my head at about 30ft, very noisy and quite scary This is the best shot I managed it was about 100 meters away from me on its approach to land.

Last edited:
Two good shots there Allan. Particularly like the angle of shot and the space around the plane
Thanks for looking in, it’s part of a zine I did during lock down that’s still sitting on my computer never got round to printing it though.

Abstract: Nice and colourful and a good idea fo the theme.
Showcase: Two good shots and I really like the one of the aircraft. Being limited to a shot with one available focal length has produced something rather different. and it's really well framed in the landscape around it.

Blimey, the 23mm certainly gives a different perspective. Knowing what sitting at the end of a runway looks like when large planes are landing, I would have put you 1/4 of a mile out and a good 300 foot clearance from that shot.
I'm not really an aviation enthusiast (quite like air-shows like Wings and Wheels (rip)) though I have been known to take the odd aircraft shot when I'm bored, as I'm so close. I would expect you'd get a lot of love for that shot on aviation forums.

I'm not really a fan of aircraft images but that one really stands out, great angle (y)

Abstract
It could be a photo of Jupiter.

Showcase
Considering the limited camera options, I think you do a good job. I like the central positioning of the plane.

Last edited:
Abstract: Nice and colourful and a good idea fo the theme.
Showcase: Two good shots and I really like the one of the aircraft. Being limited to a shot with one available focal length has produced something rather different. and it's really well framed in the landscape around it.
Thanks

Blimey, the 23mm certainly gives a different perspective. Knowing what sitting at the end of a runway looks like when large planes are landing, I would have put you 1/4 of a mile out and a good 300 foot clearance from that shot.
I'm not really an aviation enthusiast (quite like air-shows like Wings and Wheels (rip)) though I have been known to take the odd aircraft shot when I'm bored, as I'm so close. I would expect you'd get a lot of love for that shot on aviation forums.
Thanks Tim it does look further away than you think but I think I only managed about 3 shots before it was directly above me

I'm not really a fan of aircraft images but that one really stands out, great angle (y)

not a fan either it was an opportunity to good to miss and I don’t think it would work as a close up it’s nice to have a bit of the landscape in the frame

Abstract
It could be a photo of Jupiter.

Showcase
Considering the limited camera options, I think you do a good job. I like the central positioning of the plane.

Thanks Dominic

Big bugger for sure. I remember photographing the original prop poweref "Guppy" years ago when I worked at Manchester Airport.

Super angle on it!

Abstract - an oil leak is not usually a good thing, but worked well for you - nice colours!

Showcase - I'd not heard of a Beluga aircraft, but I can see it is aptly named. It must have been scarily close - I like the colour palette, the field and hedge leading you through it and the moody sky - makes it more interesting than against a plain blue sky to me.

Nice showcase shot.. I love the cloudy background and the way the aircraft stands out.

Back