Alsjazzeras 2016 TP 52 WEEK 52 CELEBRATE/CELEBRATION ADDED

WEEK 11 ARTIFICIAL

Crosby beach by Allan Howe, on Flickr

Shot on 35mm film and developed and scanned by myself, technically its an archive image but was only processed last weekend

not been around much this week will try and catch up later

Scanned and develop yourself, wow you're forgiven for being slightly archive submission. I have been there once but had a great time and really want to get back there sometime.

I like the composition. I like the little bird on left, but most of all I like how the statue seem to be watching the ship float by.

Cheers.

Scanned and develop yourself, wow you're forgiven for being slightly archive submission. I have been there once but had a great time and really want to get back there sometime.

I like the composition. I like the little bird on left, but most of all I like how the statue seem to be watching the ship float by.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, its about 40 minutes drive from us an interesting place

WTVF !
That must be a most odd view as the tide comes in...
Very impressive to have done all this from film yourself. (y)

it's very strange there are a lot of these figures on the beach some of them do disappear under the water gradually, if you are ever up that way its worth a visit

Hi Allan... that's a cracker and I was about to type some comments until I realised that Andy has said pretty much exactly what I was going to say! Big up to you for shooting on a proper camera and developing yourself. What film was it? I've accidentally left a roll of 120 in my film camera... erm, for nearly a year!

I love the composition on this - the bird, other statue and ship all add so much. I'd love to go and see these myself someday. It's great that you have done all the developing yourself, too. I remember the excitement of being very young and being allowed into the mysterious world of my cousin's 'darkroom' (i.e. the bathroom!) - it was a magical process for a small child to watch.

Now I like that and I am very envious of you for being able to develop film your self (I'm just getting into film photography and would love to be able to develop my own in time)

I don't think I can add anything to what others have said other then say I love it!

I really like the composition, well done getting the ship and the gull and even more kudos for using and processing film.

Very nice Allan,and all the better for being a home brew (y)

The mono works very well but I find the seagull in the top left is a bit of a distraction.
Lovely shot all the same

Hi Allan... that's a cracker and I was about to type some comments until I realised that Andy has said pretty much exactly what I was going to say! Big up to you for shooting on a proper camera and developing yourself. What film was it? I've accidentally left a roll of 120 in my film camera... erm, for nearly a year!

thanks Paul, Ilford HP5

I love the composition on this - the bird, other statue and ship all add so much. I'd love to go and see these myself someday. It's great that you have done all the developing yourself, too. I remember the excitement of being very young and being allowed into the mysterious world of my cousin's 'darkroom' (i.e. the bathroom!) - it was a magical process for a small child to watch.

well worth a visit, thanks for looking in

Now I like that and I am very envious of you for being able to develop film your self (I'm just getting into film photography and would love to be able to develop my own in time)

I don't think I can add anything to what others have said other then say I love it!

Its really not that hard to develop B+W film, the hardest thing is threading it on to the reels.

I really like the composition, well done getting the ship and the gull and even more kudos for using and processing film.

Thanks

Very nice Allan,and all the better for being a home brew (y)

Thank you

The mono works very well but I find the seagull in the top left is a bit of a distraction.
Lovely shot all the same

I did think about cloning it out but thought it added to the strangeness off the image

I really like this shot - captures the imposing nature of the statue really well.

Nice compo Allan, with added strangeness .... I like. :)

Last edited:
Very impressed with your work with 35mm film - nice grounding to understand the finer points of photography I would think. Like the quirky subject - what a strange welcome to receive on wading ashore ... excited or not I wonder !?! Well done sir. :clap:

Really liking that Allan. It's a place I'd like to shoot.

Yeah love that Allan, good work all around, well composed, developed and scanned, a very effective composition, and getting that bird in was great or fortunate timing, the best bit for me is the texture of the beach, love them ripples, some look like shiny snakes (y)

I really like this shot - captures the imposing nature of the statue really well.

Thanks

ARTIFICIAL, such a good idea for the theme, love it

Thank you

Nice compo Allan, with added strangeness .... I like. :)

Thanks

Very impressed with your work with 35mm film - nice grounding to understand the finer points of photography I would think. Like the quirky subject - what a strange welcome to receive on wading ashore ... excited or not I wonder !?! Well done sir. :clap:

Thanks Carl

Really liking that Allan. It's a place I'd like to shoot.

It's quite a strange scene the first time you see it

Super choice for the topic Allan, I love that statue gazing out to sea and the ripples in the sand, it looks perfect in the b&w and a big :clap: for developing it yourself.

Thank you Susie

Yeah love that Allan, good work all around, well composed, developed and scanned, a very effective composition, and getting that bird in was great or fortunate timing, the best bit for me is the texture of the beach, love them ripples, some look like shiny snakes (y)

Thank you DK

Good choice Allan. It's a visual commentary on an individual's personal journey through life. Like the meandering. :clap:

Really like that Allan such a simply but effective image love how the foot prints lead you right through the image. I may have been tempted to remove the other imperfections in the sand (2 to the right 1 to the left) bit that might just be me!

I like this a lot Allan ....I love the way the footprints fade into the distance ....a perfect choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie, I wasn't really sure of it
Good choice Allan. It's a visual commentary on an individual's personal journey through life. Like the meandering. :clap:

Thank you Carl, I see as solitude, but I suppose you could see it another way

Really like that Allan such a simply but effective image love how the foot prints lead you right through the image. I may have been tempted to remove the other imperfections in the sand (2 to the right 1 to the left) bit that might just be me!

I left them in as they are stones on the beach, I did think about taking them out but decided i didn't mind them being there, thanks for looking in

Definitely a lot of Effort went into that sculpture Allan so spot on for the theme. I like the subtle variance in colour and the intricate detail. Excellent choice. :clap:

Personal.....Really love this one Allan. A lone walk a long the beach is a very personal thing.
(Had many a happy childhood holiday aroung the Skeggy area. Was it still "bracing"? )

Effort....Yep, there's certainly a lot of work gone into that!
(I find the frieze itself a little disturbing though! )

Personal, lovey clean and simple shot great idea for the theme, leaves so much to the imagination

Effort - certainly took a lot of effort, well captured and the freeze is certainly from a fertile imagination.

Hi Allan, there's definitely plenty of Effort there, an impressive piece of carving, I like the composition it works really well.
It is a strange scene for on a Cathedral it obviously has some deep meaning.....heaven v hell maybe ....not sure.

Last edited:
Definitely a lot of Effort went into that sculpture Allan so spot on for the theme. I like the subtle variance in colour and the intricate detail. Excellent choice. :clap:

Thanks Carl

Personal.....Really love this one Allan. A lone walk a long the beach is a very personal thing.
(Had many a happy childhood holiday aroung the Skeggy area. Was it still "bracing"? )

Effort....Yep, there's certainly a lot of work gone into that!
(I find the frieze itself a little disturbing though! )

Bracing indeed, its what the seaside is about, The frieze is indeed a little disturbing its about sinning and what will happen to you, the christians were very good at spreading fear to the illiterate

Personal, lovey clean and simple shot great idea for the theme, leaves so much to the imagination

Effort - certainly took a lot of effort, well captured and the freeze is certainly from a fertile imagination.

Thanks

Hi Allan, there's definitely plenty of Effort there, an impressive piece of carving, I like the composition it works really well.
It is a strange scene for on a Cathedral it obviously has some deep meaning.....heaven v hell maybe ....not sure.

Sinning I believe Susie, something to strike fear into the commoners

Well spotted Alan. Like the clarity and details. The cropping works really well too.

thanks

Yes I too like this. I am allways fascinated by these. How on earth thses were carved is way beyond me.
Great soft light as given you a beautiful exsposure here.

Gaz

Sorry first time commenting on your thread, theres just so many doing the 52's and only so much time :)

I think personal is a cracking shot, the lonely footsteps across the beach definitely say personal to me.

I like the carvings, plenty of detail and a nice variance of colour in the old stone. It would defiantly have taken lots of effort to carve that.

Very nice Effort photo - I am also a big fan of these kinds of carving and have a lot of admiration for the artists who created that

Yes I too like this. I am allways fascinated by these. How on earth thses were carved is way beyond me.
Great soft light as given you a beautiful exsposure here.

Gaz

Thank you

Sorry first time commenting on your thread, theres just so many doing the 52's and only so much time :)

I think personal is a cracking shot, the lonely footsteps across the beach definitely say personal to me.

I like the carvings, plenty of detail and a nice variance of colour in the old stone. It would defiantly have taken lots of effort to carve that.

No worries I think I have missed yours too will rectify that soon, thanks for looking in

I love your personal shot - minimalist and beautifully composed. The carving definitely tells a story about the church...a great find and you've really brought out the detail.

Thanks the church liked to frighten people it seems

Very nice Effort photo - I am also a big fan of these kinds of carving and have a lot of admiration for the artists who created that

Thank you

Back