weekly alsjazzeras TP52 2015 week 52 CHRISTMAS added FINISHED

Hi Allan - a very interesting take on the theme (which was a bit of a stinker). It made me smile too :)

Based on your definition of 'alphabet' I would say that is a clever interpretation of the theme.

Hi Allan,

Machine - Excellent subject for the theme. I bet that was quite a creepy thing to find in the woods though!

Reshoot - I love how sharp the leopard's face is, it really draws you in. Great composition too.

Alphabet - Interesting thinking behind the theme and portrayed well. Well done for thinking of an alternative approach :)

Same here....smiling.

Thanks Ruth glad it amused you

Great interpretation for ALPHABET and certainly original. Would never have occured to me!

Thanks

Based on your definition of 'alphabet' I would say that is a clever interpretation of the theme.

Thank you

Hi Allan,

Machine - Excellent subject for the theme. I bet that was quite a creepy thing to find in the woods though!

Reshoot - I love how sharp the leopard's face is, it really draws you in. Great composition too.

Alphabet - Interesting thinking behind the theme and portrayed well. Well done for thinking of an alternative approach :)

Thanks for looking

Hi Allan - it looks as though mono is the way to go this week. I like your triptych (i must have a try at this), some good ways of making sounds there :)

Nice tryptic there, Alan and the B&W was the only way to go. Well composed and the choice of vertical parts of the instruments works really well. I think the mic could have worked well on it's own, a bit closer, as a nice abstract.

As I said in my own thread, I don't like getting hung up on the minor points but....I'd like the spaces around and between the photograph to be even. I was NEVER this OCD before I came here. I blame @blondie606 :)

Cheers.

Very nice triptych Alan.
Great conversion.
The only thing I'd alter is to place the guitars central in their frames.
Still really good though...I'd be very happy with it.

I'm in a contemplative mood :)beer:) and didn't think about rearranging the photographs. What's your thinking behind this, Ruth @viv1969 ? Is it the shapes? I'm seeing triangle, circle and oblong, if that has anything to do with it :)

Cheers.

I'm in a contemplative mood :)beer:) and didn't think about rearranging the photographs. What's your thinking behind this, Ruth @viv1969 ? Is it the shapes? I'm seeing triangle, circle and oblong, if that has anything to do with it :)

Cheers.
My first thought Is that I'd really like the second guitar to be centralised in its frame, but this would leave the first guitar the only one not central.

Of course, putting the first guitar central using the neck would then mean the head wouldn't be central because of the shape.

Hmmm...maybe I should have a beer too!

Hi ya :wave:

Cracking triptych for sound.....bloomin difficult theme but you've come up with a belting interpretation & 3 super shots.....really good lighting-bright & sharp without any blown highlights :clap: Niggles are as per @posiview....OCD tells me the spaces between the individual frames need a tweak & much as it pains me....the guitars need to be central at the bottom ( if that makes sense ?) though I can see why you have't gone that route , both outer shots balance the image as both slightly off centre ;)

Almost forgot Alphabet...still chuckling over the daleks :D

Nice tryptic there, Alan and the B&W was the only way to go. Well composed and the choice of vertical parts of the instruments works really well. I think the mic could have worked well on it's own, a bit closer, as a nice abstract.

As I said in my own thread, I don't like getting hung up on the minor points but....I'd like the spaces around and between the photograph to be even. I was NEVER this OCD before I came here. I blame @blondie606 :)

Cheers.

Very nice triptych Alan.
Great conversion.
Still really good though...I'd be very happy with it.

Cheers.

My first thought Is that I'd really like the second guitar to be centralised in its frame, but this would leave the first guitar the only one not central.

Of course, putting the first guitar central using the neck would then mean the head wouldn't be central because of the shape.

Hmmm...maybe I should have a beer too!

Interesting, how we perceive things, I deliberately edited it this way, all the pics are in some way cropped but after deciding that the mic had to be central the problem then was the Telecaster on the left its not a symmetrical thing,
so i cropped it as I would have being a single image so the Yamaha had to sit to the right as I see it to balance the whole image, I'm doubting it myself to be honest :thinking:

Hi ya :wave:

Cracking triptych for sound.....bloomin difficult theme but you've come up with a belting interpretation & 3 super shots.....really good lighting-bright & sharp without any blown highlights :clap: Niggles are as per @posiview....OCD tells me the spaces between the individual frames need a tweak & much as it pains me....the guitars need to be central at the bottom ( if that makes sense ?) though I can see why you have't gone that route , both outer shots balance the image as both slightly off centre ;)

Almost forgot Alphabet...still chuckling over the daleks :D

Thanks Lynne, I know exactly what you mean, it's the guitar on the right that bugs me most of all because its symmetrical it screams to be central
I never realised I had O.C.D. till I started posting on here either :runaway:

The BW works very well. I don't know if the three images need to be totally central. The left hand guitar head is towards the left and the one on the right is towards the right. so it's got a symmetrical look about it anyway.

Guitars, no real surprise there :D

Nice triptych Allan, I like it as is TBH, it works very well indeed (y)

The BW works very well. I don't know if the three images need to be totally central. The left hand guitar head is towards the left and the one on the right is towards the right. so it's got a symmetrical look about it anyway.

Thanks

Guitars, no real surprise there :D

Nice triptych Allan, I like it as is TBH, it works very well indeed (y)

Thank you

Really like the triptych, particularly effective in B&W. Almost like it should be an official way to show something - in a good way.

Karl

Sound ... three for the price of one! Good stuff.

Alphabet - this made me LOL, well spotted and a good interpretation but looks slightly skew wiff, did you shoot it straight on?

Sound - Love this tryptich and the B&W conversion really suits it. It made my photographic OCD kick in too :D

Hi Allan ....smashing choice there for two difficult subjects....is it me or do they seem harder this year o_O

A very unique choice for alphabet, and an excellent literal interpretation of the word, well done (y)

Triptych (I hate spelling that word) looks great too, definitely the right choice in the b&w, the problem with ocd is the more you look the more you see, maybe they would have worked positioned slight differently maybe not...it's still an excellent choice for the theme.

Reshoot - Nice capture of the big cat who is very relaxed. The lighting is a bit flat but the image looks really sharp where it needs to be

Alphabet - Certainly a different take on the theme. My OCD says why weren’t the signs put up straight though LOL

Sound - Nice triptych. Definite connections between the three images with all of them could stand on their own but bringing them together certainly works really well

Really like the triptych, particularly effective in B&W. Almost like it should be an official way to show something - in a good way.

Karl

Thanks

Sound ... three for the price of one! Good stuff.

Value for money as always

Alphabet - this made me LOL, well spotted and a good interpretation but looks slightly skew wiff, did you shoot it straight on?

Sound - Love this tryptich and the B&W conversion really suits it. It made my photographic OCD kick in too :D

Lot of people on here suffer with the OCD and it seems to be catching I now have it too

Hi Allan ....smashing choice there for two difficult subjects....is it me or do they seem harder this year o_O

A very unique choice for alphabet, and an excellent literal interpretation of the word, well done (y)

Triptych (I hate spelling that word) looks great too, definitely the right choice in the b&w, the problem with ocd is the more you look the more you see, maybe they would have worked positioned slight differently maybe not...it's still an excellent choice for the theme.

Thanks Susie, a bit of an understatement "difficult themes", it's tough at the minute maybe it will get better :thinking:

Reshoot - Nice capture of the big cat who is very relaxed. The lighting is a bit flat but the image looks really sharp where it needs to be

Alphabet - Certainly a different take on the theme. My OCD says why weren’t the signs put up straight though LOL

Sound - Nice triptych. Definite connections between the three images with all of them could stand on their own but bringing them together certainly works really well

Thanks for looking Peter, lighting on Big cat is indeed a little flat shot inside behind glass, but I could perhaps of processed it better
The signs are on a slight slope and although I did take the photo straight on lens distortion and my bad attempt at straightening and skewing are indeed obvious :(

WEEK 16 EXPERIMENT

Chester by allanhowe, on Flickr

Recently been getting back into film, but I wanted to develop my own film, so I now have 3 film cameras all 35mm a Pentax MG (a camera I used to own about 30 years ago) found on the internet a couple of months ago, an Olympus Trip 35 and this week I have just received a Canon EOS 55 from this forum a more modern camera from around 1995 with auto focus etc which helps with my eyesight I find it hard to focus the Pentax as my eyes are rubbish for close up things

This pic is from one of the 2 rolls of film I developed today, not the best pics as i was just testing the cameras where usable.
so very experimental, chemicals were involved :wideyed: I was amazed there was anything on the film at all and that I had got it right to an extent.

Sorry for the dodgy quality but I had to take a digital picture of the negative then do some Photoshoppy things, I can see this being expensive as i will have to invest in a scanner now :wacky:

Forgot to mention this frame is from the Olympus trip

Last edited:
I really liked Sound and was in the middle of commenting when I got interrupted... Great use of the triptych idea and superbly lit and composed.

Experiment is great too. Home devving is a rewarding and amazing thing to get into. I think that leaving in the neg frame adds to the image. The shadow of the tree adds interest to the foreground and I wonder if cropping out the post in the bottom of the frame and that bit of building in the lower left hand edge would improve the composition a bit.

I made a home made scanner for my EOS 650. A toilet roll tube fits perfectly inside a 52mm UV filter attached to the Canon 50mm f1.8. Coupled with the 20mm Kenko extension tube, it allows toilet roll tube distance focussing. The only thing I never got right was the neg carrier... It was... bad... (Link)

Hi Alan ... Really like the film shot and impressed you're doing your own developing! I've not been that brave with mine. Wouldn't know where to start. Also loved the "Sound" group. Nice work.

Interesting how using film is now an experiment! At least you bought a camera which is relatively simple to carry around. My Bronny is a bit of a beast, but I love it anyway.

Another film experimental shot for this week. I quite like that and the B&W treatment works well here too.

It was shot on B+W film

I really liked Sound and was in the middle of commenting when I got interrupted... Great use of the triptych idea and superbly lit and composed.

Experiment is great too. Home devving is a rewarding and amazing thing to get into. I think that leaving in the neg frame adds to the image. The shadow of the tree adds interest to the foreground and I wonder if cropping out the post in the bottom of the frame and that bit of building in the lower left hand edge would improve the composition a bit.

I made a home made scanner for my EOS 650. A toilet roll tube fits perfectly inside a 52mm UV filter attached to the Canon 50mm f1.8. Coupled with the 20mm Kenko extension tube, it allows toilet roll tube distance focussing. The only thing I never got right was the neg carrier... It was... bad... (Link)

Very Heath Robinson, think I will stick with my macro lens, till I can get something else, the picture itself was somewhat irrelevant I was just happy anything turned out

Hi Alan ... Really like the film shot and impressed you're doing your own developing! I've not been that brave with mine. Wouldn't know where to start. Also loved the "Sound" group. Nice work.

Interesting how using film is now an experiment! At least you bought a camera which is relatively simple to carry around. My Bronny is a bit of a beast, but I love it anyway.

Developing is not that difficult, if I can do it, there is something very impressive with medium format I have to try and resist the temptation, at least with film you have to think about it rather than scattershot and hoping for the best, as you can with digital

Sound: beautiful triptych. Love the mono. Works very well

Experiment. Fits the theme well and quite scientific as well so a double applause :clap::clap:

Experiment ... I really like that picture, that scene could almost be as old as the Olympus Trip. I like surround included too. Enjoy the old cameras and developing.

Hi Allan,

Experiment - well, it fits the theme in more ways than one. Well done you for doing the processing yourself (y) I really like the shot, but I do think cropping the post on the bottom would be an idea. Mind you, I can remember when the Olympus Trip was new on the market - I had a lowly Kodak Instamatic it makes me feel very old :D. Enjoy the film cameras!

Last edited:
Experiment.

Nice one Allen. Perfect for the theme.

I've struggled this week!

Back