weekly Bebop's 52 for 2022 - Week 52: Showcase

It really is a lovely image and I like the way you've managed to arrange the chives. Mine in the garden are a way from flowering yet.

Simple and effective Bee. Your chives are a little ahead of mine!

Simple and effective Bee. Your chives are a little ahead of mine!
Thanks Simon. We do have a milder climate than much of the UK. I have a banana tree in my garden and it produces bananas each year. Rather too tiny to eat though. Ah,... I suppose that is 'unusual'!!

It works for me. Nicely composed with the use of 3, and I do like the way you've folded the stems in the glass.
If I was being really nit picky, if the gradient across the background could have been avoided it may improve the image, but that's really picky and you already said the sun was causing issues when you were taking the shot :)

It works for me. Nicely composed with the use of 3, and I do like the way you've folded the stems in the glass.
If I was being really nit picky, if the gradient across the background could have been avoided it may improve the image, but that's really picky and you already said the sun was causing issues when you were taking the shot :)
Thanks TIm. Yes I agree on the gradient. I did have some shots where it was better, but the darned flowers weren't all in focus, and I had quite a few where it was worse :ROFLMAO:

Looks good to me. A nice crisp and simple image.
Thanks Helen :)

Week 14: Unusual

I've been out most days this week looking for the unusual birds (or more of the same) that I spotted earlier this month. As usual, I didn't see any :ROFLMAO: I did see this wren and yellowhammer squabbling so I think that will have to do for my unusual shot. Not the best of bird shots, but it was an unusual sight for me.

I tried my lens baby on the banana plant in the garden and a huge weeping beech (only 3 on the island), but they were all just meh! This one's a bit meh too, but in the spirit of the 52, it was taken this week.

20220413-BCR_7076-week14.jpg

I will also share the male and female Black Redstarts that I was lucky enough to see recently - for @-Oy- :) Sadly not this week though.

20220402-BCR_6895_1-dxo_week14.jpg 20220402-BCR_6625-week14.jpg20220402-BCR_6651-week14.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to look up Yellowhammers Bebop, not a bird that I see where I am. I think that the shot fulfills the remit though.

Love the fight shot! The female redstart is a belter too!

A great bird "action" shot... looks like a fairly serious argument going on! I've just added "meh" to my list of personal critique terms :)

That's a great moment, and definitely not something you see everyday.

I'll have to look up Yellowhammers Bebop, not a bird that I see where I am. I think that the shot fulfills the remit though.
Love the fight shot! The female redstart is a belter too!
A great bird "action" shot... looks like a fairly serious argument going on! I've just added "meh" to my list of personal critique terms :)
That's something I've not seen happen before and definitely hits the brief.
Birding is not something I feel qualified to comment on, but it's cool to get an action shot :)
That's a great moment, and definitely not something you see everyday.
Thank you all for your kind comments. The yellowhammer won and was sitting where the wren wanted to be. Feisty little thing.

Good opportunistic shot. I haven't seen a yellowhammer for donkeys years.......

Week 15: Snapper's Choice and technique - REFLECTIONS

I wanted to do something a bit more artistic for reflections, but I'm nervous about not getting it in this week - snapped this as my insurance luckily and only just had chance to post.

I was unable to not have my head in it :LOL: and the parked car was a bit annoying, but I didn't think the shop would entertain the idea of me moving their sign.

20220418-BC132707_week15.jpg

That is an actual sign, The words look photo-shopped on, you did well in that case.
Pete

Technology - my eye was immediately drawn to the phone case which is great. The composition works well too, you look deep in thought with the water drops helping to frame you.
I going to make an educated guess that the cable going into the right hand box is fibre optic. Which makes me think it's some form of amplifier. I probably have contacts with being involved in the telecom field that could confirm it's definitive use.

Discarded - well done on capturing the motion and not resorting to adding it in post processing. Personally I feel it's more of an accomplishment to get it right in camera. I'm going to put my critique hat on and say "something doesn't sit right with the overall composition". I think it's the combination of the clean waste paper bin being close up, the angle of the bottle with the vertical drop. I'm wondering if the bottle still has a distance to fall or the bin is already full. Maybe a wider image would work, in my mind anyway.

Flora - it's an interesting composition, I immediately notice what I'm assuming is a broken stem, was that part of the plan? I'm wondering how the image looks with different water levels, more / less to align with the stem cross or lower to have the shape before the cross below the water.

Unusual - me and birds have a love/hate relationship, I can barely make a sound at times and still frighten them off! Your image works as a action shot.

Snappers Choice - I was sure the text was added in post processing so you have done well to capture a clean image. Two reflections for the price of one too.

That is an actual sign, The words look photo-shopped on, you did well in that case.
Pete
Many thanks Pete. Yes, the shop is called Reflections, so I couldn't resist trying to catch a reflection in the sign just in case I needed it for the theme.... which I did :)

Technology - my eye was immediately drawn to the phone case which is great. The composition works well too, you look deep in thought with the water drops helping to frame you.
I going to make an educated guess that the cable going into the right hand box is fibre optic. Which makes me think it's some form of amplifier. I probably have contacts with being involved in the telecom field that could confirm it's definitive use.

Discarded - well done on capturing the motion and not resorting to adding it in post processing. Personally I feel it's more of an accomplishment to get it right in camera. I'm going to put my critique hat on and say "something doesn't sit right with the overall composition". I think it's the combination of the clean waste paper bin being close up, the angle of the bottle with the vertical drop. I'm wondering if the bottle still has a distance to fall or the bin is already full. Maybe a wider image would work, in my mind anyway.

Flora - it's an interesting composition, I immediately notice what I'm assuming is a broken stem, was that part of the plan? I'm wondering how the image looks with different water levels, more / less to align with the stem cross or lower to have the shape before the cross below the water.

Unusual - me and birds have a love/hate relationship, I can barely make a sound at times and still frighten them off! Your image works as a action shot.

Snappers Choice - I was sure the text was added in post processing so you have done well to capture a clean image. Two reflections for the price of one too.
Many thanks Stuart. I was thinking my brothers might know about the electronic device. Fibre optic could be right as I'm pretty sure that was breaking technology at the time. I might come back to you if they don't know, so thank you for the offer.

Discarded - I did have to pack the bottom of the bin to raise the bottle up so it could be seen. I was a bit constrained with composition as I was holding the remote cable in one hand and doing the can drop in the other. I think it doesn't really feel quite right having a bin at eye level.

The broken stem was me trying to wedge the flower in place ha ha!

For Snapper's - yes it was just a shop sign on the pavement. The shop is called Reflections and I happened to stumble upon it at the weekend. I tried to position my son to get his reflection in it. Unfortunately to get it square, it meant I got my own reflection too :)
Thanks Stuart for taking the time to go through them all. I need to catch up on some comments!

Fun shot Bebop. I think that it works well for the theme. The name of the shop is a bonus.

Week 16 - Trees

Just a phone pic this week. I was on a walk and there was the most glorious light picking out this tree that I think came to grief in a storm many years ago.
I'm a bit torn which to choose, but I rather like the way it is like a sculpture on its own.

20220422IMG_7316-week16.jpg

20220422IMG_7317-week16.jpg

I think you chose the right one. The light on the tree with the dark clouds in the background works very well. I also like that you've managed to get the fork in the trunk just above the ground level.

I think you chose the right one. The light on the tree with the dark clouds in the background works very well. I also like that you've managed to get the fork in the trunk just above the ground level.
Thanks Jim. I didn't have much choice on viewpoint as it's a pretty inaccessible spot, but it is fortuitous... not that I'd noticed .... ahem :)

I like both of them and each has its own merits. #1 is like nature in an artistic sculpture form and #2 is the three stages of tree life. A couple of saplings with a mature tree close by and a dead, end-of-life bare trunk to their side.
Thanks Stan. I struggled to choose. I hadn't noticed that I had trees in different stages of life - well spotted.

Both nice, but leaning towards your chosen one. Great light against the dark clouds!

Back