Monthly beckyboy's 2013-12 ETC - Some Droste effect added

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Made a resolution to get out with the camera more this year and to experiment a bit as well, so this will be the perfect challenge for me.

I'm really looking forward to trying new things and will hopefuly learn alot to.

I'll be aimimg to get out this coming weekend as I'm very limited during the week.

This is my final selection for January

1, Physiogram

physiograms-6 by beckyboy101, on Flickr

2, Startrails

Startrails1 by beckyboy101, on Flickr

3, Orb

Light Orbs by beckyboy101, on Flickr

4, Night Lights

Watchet Harbour by beckyboy101, on Flickr
5, Night Lights

6, Night Lights

Last edited:
These were the best of many attempts trying different Fstops and shutter speeds as well as trying to keep warm.
Did have one panic though as I realised to late that I'd left VR on when using the tripod but fortunatly it doesnt seem to have had any affect.

Am hoping to do some star trails next so hopeing for a clear night during the week.

Did have one panic though as I realised to late that I'd left VR on when using the tripod but fortunatly it doesnt seem to have had any affect.

Nice shots, like the star bursts (y) I also leave my IS on sometimes when using a tripod. Always annoys me on the way home when I realise :LOL:

Great shots Michael. I like number three the best; lovely star bursts on the quay side :)

Here's my attempt at star trails again a first for me in fact all of this months themes will be a first.

Startrails by beckyboy101, on Flickr

Also a rather poor attempt at an orb, hope to get out again and perfect "or at least improve" on this

Light Orbs by beckyboy101, on Flickr

As with all my shots C&C welcome especially with tips to improve

Looking good.

The first two are very good, the third looks a bit over exposed but still a good shot.

Liking the star trails as well, need to get out and do these myself but need a clear night.

The orb is nearly there.

Looking good.

The first two are very good, the third looks a bit over exposed but still a good shot.

Liking the star trails as well, need to get out and do these myself but need a clear night.

The orb is nearly there.

Thanks for your comments.
I agree that about the third one being over exposed.This was the only one that had any PP done and that was only letting Elements auto fix and unfortunatly it wouldn't let me undo.
Also I deleted the RAW by mistake.:bang:

The Orb is more down to my poor motor skills :LOL:

The orb was made using colour changing fairy lights. Was interested to see how they would come out compared to a single colour. I think the colour change may accentuate the unevenness though. Couldn't do a single colour as the lights were fixed. I have now got some single colour lights so may have another go.

Your star trails shot is similar to mine, was it a back garden effort? Your orb looks a bit tipsy :LOL: I like the different colours tho and what I assume is the sun disappearing in the background.

Your star trails shot is similar to mine, was it a back garden effort? Your orb looks a bit tipsy :LOL: I like the different colours tho and what I assume is the sun disappearing in the background.

Yep in the back garden, the glow is the nearest town about a mile down the road.
As for the Orb it looks like it's wearing Dorothys Ruby slippers :LOL:

Unfortunatly don't think I'm going to get a chance now to make any improvements, well not by the months end anyway.

I guess it's OOF? It's difficult to focus when your camera is lying on the floor! You managed to get a good pattern going tho, so kudos for that.

I didn't notice the slippers in your orb shot until you mentioned them :LOL: I can't stop looking at them now!

rpn said:
Hi Michael, can I ask you how many images and how long in total were the two star trails shots? I really like to have a go sometimes, may be in the summer if there's such a season up here in NE Scotland! ;)

The first one was 57 x 30 second shots and the second one was 44 x 30 second.

I'm impressed by the symmetry and pattern of you physiogramme, though it might have looked better done with a smaller point of light.

I like both your star trails - in your first attempt the foreground trees are nice and still but your chosen second one is brill the way it shows the stars rotating around Polaris.

All the Night Lights are good but my favourite is the second Watchet Harbour one, which has a better composition than the other one which is interesting but rather messy.

A nice set - well done.

Second star trail shot - (y) Love the way you've got the north star in, like the colour and the windy trees really draw me in. Nice shot.

Thanks for comments

I'm impressed by the symmetry and pattern of you physiogramme, though it might have looked better done with a smaller point of light.

Sadly it was the smallest torch I had but may now invest in some small pen lights etc for the future.

Second star trail shot - Love the way you've got the north star in, like the colour and the windy trees really draw me in. Nice shot.

Was actually suprised with the amount of light in the pics as seemed pitch dark at the time. I'm lucky enough to live 5 mins from the Quantock Hills so ideal for Star Trails.

Hi, there and wince one for posting a decent set.

Focus looks a tad of in a few as does the white balance.

I like the star trail, Yule got Polaris where it should be. A few more hrs and it would have been a cracker.

Cheers.

Excellent idea. I like the simplicity of the image, background and border too

Thank you, although I can assure you with my PP skills it was far from simple :LOL:

Seriously though it took me ages to come up with an idea for this as I was trying to complicate it too much. I only did this as a test shot to start with but as it came together I too liked the simplicity.

I have no idea what's going on here; I could have sworn I'd commented on your thread more than once :(

Start trails are good, with a nice arc to them, though maybe a bit more foreground interest would have been nice.

Orb is wonderfully colourful :) Again, a bit more interesting context would have been good, but it's a good shot none-the-less.

Multiplicity; fantastic! While it could have been shot like that (i.e. not using the multiplicity "trick"), I does work because you're very unlikely to have that many mini Henry's. Aren't you?!

Tryptic is very nice too. The background/border suits it very well.

The multiplicity shot is great, made me chuckle as soon as I saw it :LOL: It's a little underexposed but I don't think it matters at all.

The triptych is great too, I'm not sure about the black background, but the actual image works really well. Top stuff.

Back