weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

Oh an excellent out of the box idea. I like the darkness and gritness of the whole thing - no crit from me (y)

Thanks Sarah (y)
I resisted a literal take on the theme ;)

I like the idea here and the processing. Its got a gritty feel without resorting to adding lots of noise. If I was to provide some crit it would be that it is too symmetrical - I think I'd have preferred a different left hand to the right giving it a more realistic feeling

Thanks Peter (y)
I agree, it would benefit from being different hands but I never got round to it.

another gritty thumbs up for the grittiness of it all.

Cheers David (y)

Oooo nice one Iain... Liking the gritty look and cant fault the composition at all, the tats would have been perfect :)

Been staring at it really hard trying to see a face glaring through the middle, for a moment I thought I could faintly see one as I got closer... but it was my reflection o_O

Cheers Dean (y)
Yes tats would have been good, I will maybe give it a go sometime, following Marsha's instructions.

Hi Iain, no crowbar needed excellent idea looks a little like a B-movie poster, I mean that in a good way (y)
the processing suits the image, would maybe liked to have seen a very faint face but then again I would probably have had nightmares :nailbiting:

Thanks Allan (y)
I see what you mean about the movie poster, thanks.

Oh yes, I like this a lot. I have no crit, it's just a good picture worth looking at.

Thanks Martin (y)

Hi, Iain! good use of props :)

Nice, minimal, gritty, well composed and bang on theme......for a change ;)

Thumbs look a little....detached :thinking:

Saw someone mention Love and Hate...that'd be good.

Cheers.

:ROFLMAO: Cheers Andy (y)
The thumbs do look a little odd, I agree.

Again - hard to fault - undecided whether the single hand flipped across adds or detracts.. :confused:

I think that as it will obv be very close to symettrical, having it completely so creates more interest, and the lighting that you have gone with doesn't scream single light from the side which would have wrecked it once flipped.

ANd (y) for again avoiding the literal take on the theme.:)

Oooo nice one Iain... Liking the gritty look and cant fault the composition at all, the tats would have been perfect :)

Been staring at it really hard trying to see a face glaring through the middle, for a moment I thought I could faintly see one as I got closer... but it was my reflection o_O
I can imagine Andy's 'ODD' post being the face in the middle! :D

Hi Iain
Time - spot on theme for me - many other suggestions re tattoos, different hands at different heights etc but all just diff interpretations of the shot. No crit from me . well produces.
I wsa in Lancaster on Monday hoping for inspiration and at the Castle saw the sign over the gate of HMP Lancaster and there was a lovely clock in a stone tower adjacent but i could not get them both in shot as someone had left the gate open. - didn't have the face to ask the security to shut the gate :LOL:

Again - hard to fault - undecided whether the single hand flipped across adds or detracts.. :confused:

I think that as it will obv be very close to symettrical, having it completely so creates more interest, and the lighting that you have gone with doesn't scream single light from the side which would have wrecked it once flipped.

ANd (y) for again avoiding the literal take on the theme.:)

Thanks Graham (y)
It was perhaps the path of least resistance to take an image of one hand and flip it in post that I have taken but as you say, having two different hands would only make it slightly less symmetrical, not radically different.
Its a fine line there, unless I had gone the route of adding tattoos to alter the hands appearance. My choice of lighting was a deliberate one for the very reason you mention. Thanks again (y)

Good take on the theme and nicely shot.

Thanks Kev (y)

I can imagine Andy's 'ODD' post being the face in the middle! :D

Thats a scary prospect Adam :D

Massive crush at work - the joys of being in Special Measures - but I had to stop in to say how awesome that shot is. Love it, iain!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by Tony (y)

Very nice photo, love the lighting

Cheers Colin (y)

Hi Iain
Time - spot on theme for me - many other suggestions re tattoos, different hands at different heights etc but all just diff interpretations of the shot. No crit from me . well produces.
I wsa in Lancaster on Monday hoping for inspiration and at the Castle saw the sign over the gate of HMP Lancaster and there was a lovely clock in a stone tower adjacent but i could not get them both in shot as someone had left the gate open. - didn't have the face to ask the security to shut the gate :LOL:

Thanks Alan (y)
i agree, all comments and critique welcome, as well as others opinions too. I feel that is a big part of this challenge, others commenting on what they would do differently (and there's the rub) what others would do.
We all have different ideas, not one being 'right', just different.
I think you should have made polite enquiries, you never know the security may have obliged :D

Week 11 - Swirl, as I mentioned over in the discussion thread, I am away on a course this week so an early submission was required.
Below is my take on the theme, C&C welcome as always

Week 11 - Swirl
by iain blake, on Flickr

Ah, a classic spiral staircase. Makes your neck ache trying to take pictures like that doesn't it.

Very fitting for the theme great composition, I really like it, my only niggle is I don't like the wall light as that area looks blown to me.

Thanks Mandy (y)
I take your point about the light but would add that in order for the rest of the scene to be exposed correctly, the light being blown was bound to happen.

Ah, a classic spiral staircase. Makes your neck ache trying to take pictures like that doesn't it.

Thanks Martin (y)
Yes it was very much a case of looking up, composing, shooting and relax :D

Morning Iain

given your career ,you image for Time is just perfect ,gritty pp , nicely defined bars that aren't quite there but there enough to be effective ( make sense to me !) :clap:

Swirl.......oh how I wish for somewhere round to here to get a shot like that ! Plenty of detail that draws you up to the very top , I love the hint of blue coming in the further up you go :clap: The only niggle for me & ,given the exposure difficulties in a shot like this I realise it probably wouldn't be possible , is the grey shades on the lower stairs :thinking: & it's darned inconsiderate of the builders to put a small landing in there which breaks up the steps :mad:

Last edited:
Right on theme and beautiful with it. The blue colouring towards the top makes it look like a piece of delicate china (y)

Like it. Except is makes me dizzy. It has a processed feel to it and I keep telling myself it isn't fall, but I suspect it is. Nightmare to expose and you've done well.

What's happened at the, around 1 o'clock, where the flat space is on the stairs?

Cheers.

Hi Iain, excellent and a nice find, unless this was shot at Blakester manor
perfectly exposed, which must have been difficult as you are shooting to the light so the lower parts must have had a lot of shadow :clap:

I've seen this staircase before. But not complaining as it's perfect for the theme. I like how it starts almost mono at the bottom then the blue comes in gently half way up :clap:

Yes the light on the wall is a little bright but I'm too busy looking up the spiral into the distance :)

very nice too Iain, has an almost organic shell-like feel to it, and I love the fact that its not immediately completely clear as to whether you at the bottom looking up, or ant the top looking down. (y)

I agree with Lynne....the location is perfect for the shot, even the colours are perfect in the blue and white....a great addition to 'swirl'.

Thanks Susie (y)
Yes it is a wonderful subject, a photographers dream.

Morning Iain

given your career ,you image for Time is just perfect ,gritty pp , nicely defined bars that aren't quite there but there enough to be effective ( make sense to me !) :clap:

Swirl.......oh how I wish for somewhere round to here to get a shot like that ! Plenty of detail that draws you up to the very top , I love the hint of blue coming in the further up you go :clap: The only niggle for me & ,given the exposure difficulties in a shot like this I realise it probably wouldn't be possible , is the grey shades on the lower stairs :thinking: & it's darned inconsiderate of the builders to put a small landing in there which breaks up the steps :mad:

:D Thanks Lynne (y)
Yes that makes sense about the bars.
Yes it's a compromise on exposure I feel, the lower part being more in shadow.
That landing does break the flow a little, I agree, how inconsiderate :D

Right on theme and beautiful with it. The blue colouring towards the top makes it look like a piece of delicate china (y)

Thanks Elaine (y)
There is a temptation to go with a mono on this which would possibly help with exposure but I resisted as I too particularly like the blue colouring.

Like it. Except is makes me dizzy. It has a processed feel to it and I keep telling myself it isn't fall, but I suspect it is. Nightmare to expose and you've done well.

What's happened at the, around 1 o'clock, where the flat space is on the stairs?

Cheers.

Cheers Andy (y)
Yes it does have that dizzying effect when you look at it.
Not sure I understand your sentence mentioning the processed feel:thinking:
Inconsiderate builders Andy, that's what's happened at 1 o'clock :D

Superb, really like the Swirl shot. Nicely lit too imo.

Cheers David (y)
It's a fantastic subject, so photogenic.

Hi Iain, excellent and a nice find, unless this was shot at Blakester manor
perfectly exposed, which must have been difficult as you are shooting to the light so the lower parts must have had a lot of shadow :clap:

Cheers Allan (y)
Unfortunately, the stairs at chez blakester are somewhat less photogenic than these. :D
Yes the exposure is a little difficult to balance if one wants to hold as much detail as possible through the scene.

Beautiful image

Thanks Colin (y)

time is excellent love the gritty feel you have achieved

Swirl another excellent great detail, lighting and colours :)

Cheers Craig (y)

An excellent swirl there Iain - Great job with the exposure, with the bright centre not an easy task at all I wouldn't have thought, good detail winding round on them balustrades too - Nic One (y)

Good luck with the weeks training !!!

Cheers Dean (y)
Thanks about the course, day one done and dusted 4 to go :D

Nice spiral stairs, difficult to expose so well done on that, and as dK said nice detail in the Balustrades (y)

Thanks Michael (y)

Hi Iain
Time.... it's brill great idea, all has been said so(y)
Swirl...Beautiful love the detail (y)(y)

Thanks Judi (y)

I've seen this staircase before. But not complaining as it's perfect for the theme. I like how it starts almost mono at the bottom then the blue comes in gently half way up :clap:

Yes the light on the wall is a little bright but I'm too busy looking up the spiral into the distance :)

Thanks Marsha (y)
Yes I have photographed it before and wondered myself where I'd posted it.
I thought it was one of my previous 52s but apparently not:thinking: It must have been over on Facebook.
The light on the wall was a compromise but I hope one which doesn't detract too much from the overall scene.

very nice too Iain, has an almost organic shell-like feel to it, and I love the fact that its not immediately completely clear as to whether you at the bottom looking up, or ant the top looking down. (y)

Thanks Graham (y)
Yes, I can see that effect, it does take a wee bit of working out.

Gawd... I'd hate a 5 day course, the pile up of work would be a mare, rather you than me !!!

The course is work related, more to increase my skill base/learn new skills, it's enjoyable also.
Luckily for me, work doesn't pile up as such, just has to be rescheduled.
I've brought my camera with me, not sure if I will get to use it but for once I will have the choice.

I've seen this location a few times before but this one is a really nice image that has been excellently handled. Definitely fits the them but given the location (Greenwich) I guess it could have almost have fitted time as well.

I've seen this location a few times before but this one is a really nice image that has been excellently handled. Definitely fits the them but given the location (Greenwich) I guess it could have almost have fitted time as well.

Thanks Peter (y)
Yes a popular photographic subject I agree.

Time: Ha..ha..An excellent idea Iain. Like the gritty tones here and the composition is bang on - Rule of thirds at its best ;)

Swirl: Such a beautiful picture. The bright white contrasts so nicely with the black steel work and almost 'bluish' tones towards the distant top. A great location find and perfect interpretation of the theme (y)

Time: Ha..ha..An excellent idea Iain. Like the gritty tones here and the composition is bang on - Rule of thirds at its best ;)

Swirl: Such a beautiful picture. The bright white contrasts so nicely with the black steel work and almost 'bluish' tones towards the distant top. A great location find and perfect interpretation of the theme (y)

Thanks Jason (y)
Not original subjects but I am pleased with the outcome all the same

Cheers

Great image Iain (y) love the blue railings, really draws my eye up to the centre :)

you must live in a very big house :D

Great image Iain (y) love the blue railings, really draws my eye up to the centre :)

you must live in a very big house :D

Thanks Phil (y)

These are the stairs in the west wing of castle blakester...............yeah right! ;):D

Back