weekly blakesters 2014 52 - Retired Gracefully

WOW !!!

Loving that first image Iain ... very unusual indeed, very nice pastel colours and some great shapes you have made of the structure - you must show me how to do one of them :clap:

Cheers Dean (y)
The first one is known as a vertorama, its a total of 5 images, first from floor level then preceding images taken at various levels until the camera is more or less pointing skywards.
They are then stacked together in photoshop, photo merge. The skewed perspective is due to photoshop merging all the frames. I like the look of this, many won't as its obviously not a true representation of the scene, hence its very much a Marmite image/technique.

Morning Iain...waiting for the boy posiview to arrive !

Totally love the pp on image 1....dark n moody , plenty of detail & great colors....(y) CRit , if I have to is I wish the blues were a tad brighter but that might spoil the image...not sure...

Nu2... Not quite so sure about this one....yup it's feet , fits the theme & like the different almost x-ray type look to it.....maybe it just doesn't WOW me like the 1st :thinking:

If nothing else Iain, your images can certainly keep my interest :)

Again, I've studied your shot of the cathedral for quite awhile on flickr, its very different. I think what appeals, is the fact I'm unsure where I like the processing or not :confused:

Its one of them where, again, the more I look, the more I like (y)

Foot prints, yep, good , fun image, but I have to ask, are they real footprints or fotoshoppery ones? :thinking: :)

Morning Iain...waiting for the boy posiview to arrive !

Totally love the pp on image 1....dark n moody , plenty of detail & great colors....(y) CRit , if I have to is I wish the blues were a tad brighter but that might spoil the image...not sure...

Nu2... Not quite so sure about this one....yup it's feet , fits the theme & like the different almost x-ray type look to it.....maybe it just doesn't WOW me like the 1st :thinking:

I bet the boy @posiview is dizzy with excitement :D
Thanks for the crit Lynne, I dialled the colours back on the cathedral shot, didn't want to go mad with the HDR effect.
No worries on the second one, its always a risk to put 2 images or more up, it gives viewers choice of preference (y)

If nothing else Iain, your images can certainly keep my interest :)

Again, I've studied your shot of the cathedral for quite awhile on flickr, its very different. I think what appeals, is the fact I'm unsure where I like the processing or not :confused:

Its one of them where, again, the more I look, the more I like (y)

Foot prints, yep, good , fun image, but I have to ask, are they real footprints or fotoshoppery ones? :thinking: :)

Cheers Phil (y)
Cathedral shot was always going to be a Marmite image but I will take holding your interest ;)

Foot prints are actually made from hand and fingerprints. I put ink on my finger tips for the toes, the sole of the foot is actually the side of my hand which was clenched in a fist. Press said hand and fingertips down onto white paper to create the feet. I then inverted the image in photoshop to give the effect. :D

Not sure about the Cathedral shot, it is certainly interesting and different but its a bit too dark for me.
The foot shot appeals, a good idea well "constructed" :)

I must admit to not liking the cathedral image when it popped up last night but after returning to it I have to say I really do like it. Maybe because it is so different. Having taken an image for this week's theme from inside Beverley Minster I know how hard it is to get everything exactly straight and symmetrical. You've gone the opposite way and through the merging of the images created a very distorted final result. I think it works. Minor crit is that the bottom just needs a slight CW rotation but the roof needs one in the opposite direction - good luck with that LOL

The first image i love the idea of it But i have to say sadly this time i am not to sure on the processing i feel it is a little over done for my tastes. I do like the composition of the image and it is such a beautiful looking place, and there are some great features to be seen. your second image i love for it's composition and i do like the processing on it cracking stuff well done.

I quite like 'overdone' HDR, it's a guilty pleasure that I've done a lot! Both are really good shots, the first is really impressive though, a new perspective to look at a cathedral. (y)

It's the feet for me. When seen full size on Flickr one can clearly see the toe prints. The first does nothing for me just because it's not real, and I like 'real'. I wouldn't mind it as a room in my home though (if my home was the size of a cathedral).

as usual Iain your images never disappoint... Loving the cathedral shot... Was checking out a tut recently on ho to do these and wanted to give it a go... well done you on a great shot...
Crit for two would be to replace feet with hands as "touch" would have fit better... yes I know we touch with our feet too ;)

Hi Iain, really unusual shot of the cathedral, I like it but it does mess with your head, the arches at the edge of the pic have the most amazing curve to them
so thats my choice as there is so much to take in (y)

Hi Iain
Haven't been around for a couple of weeks, really enjoyed catching up on all your weekly posts.
Like both for this week, the mental cathedral and great processing, then the footprints that aren't!!! They are my favourite .... just!

Keep up the great work

:D

Sense - Cathedral: Sense of space, yes, absolutely. Love the composition, colours and post processing. Feet: Clever idea, and also a good take on the theme, but for me the cathedral shot has more impact and would be my choice.

Not sure about the Cathedral shot, it is certainly interesting and different but its a bit too dark for me.
The foot shot appeals, a good idea well "constructed" :)

Thanks Kev(y)
i can understand you not being sure about the cathedral shot, no worries on that score :)

I must admit to not liking the cathedral image when it popped up last night but after returning to it I have to say I really do like it. Maybe because it is so different. Having taken an image for this week's theme from inside Beverley Minster I know how hard it is to get everything exactly straight and symmetrical. You've gone the opposite way and through the merging of the images created a very distorted final result. I think it works. Minor crit is that the bottom just needs a slight CW rotation but the roof needs one in the opposite direction - good luck with that LOL

Thanks Peter (y)
Yes, I noticed it was skewed somewhat now you mention it :D
I think I will leave it as is though and hope no-one else sees it ;)

Hi Iain, I must be honest I'm not too struck with the Cathedral image, but that doesn't mean I am not highly impressed by it....very clever indeed, especially when I read all that went into it.

The footprint is so much more interesting now I know how it was done....excellent :)

Thanks Susie (y)
I knew on posting it that there would be split opinions, thanks for your kind comments :D

~2 for me love the little feet (y)(y)

Thanks Judi (y)

The first image i love the idea of it But i have to say sadly this time i am not to sure on the processing i feel it is a little over done for my tastes. I do like the composition of the image and it is such a beautiful looking place, and there are some great features to be seen. your second image i love for it's composition and i do like the processing on it cracking stuff well done.

Thanks Mandy (y)

sense of space is great so much detail there and I quite like what you done with the processing

Cheers Craig (y)

I quite like 'overdone' HDR, it's a guilty pleasure that I've done a lot! Both are really good shots, the first is really impressive though, a new perspective to look at a cathedral. (y)

Cheers Adam (y)
I enjoyed 'making' the image,

It's the feet for me. When seen full size on Flickr one can clearly see the toe prints. The first does nothing for me just because it's not real, and I like 'real'. I wouldn't mind it as a room in my home though (if my home was the size of a cathedral).

Thanks Martin (y)

as usual Iain your images never disappoint... Loving the cathedral shot... Was checking out a tut recently on ho to do these and wanted to give it a go... well done you on a great shot...
Crit for two would be to replace feet with hands as "touch" would have fit better... yes I know we touch with our feet too ;)

Thanks Colin (y)

Hi Iain, really unusual shot of the cathedral, I like it but it does mess with your head, the arches at the edge of the pic have the most amazing curve to them
so thats my choice as there is so much to take in (y)

Thanks Allan (y)
Yes it is a little head spinning with all the skewed perspective in there :D

Hi Iain
Haven't been around for a couple of weeks, really enjoyed catching up on all your weekly posts.
Like both for this week, the mental cathedral and great processing, then the footprints that aren't!!! They are my favourite .... just!

Keep up the great work

:D

:DThanks Hazel (y)

Sense - Cathedral: Sense of space, yes, absolutely. Love the composition, colours and post processing. Feet: Clever idea, and also a good take on the theme, but for me the cathedral shot has more impact and would be my choice.

Thanks Nathalie (y)

Iain
Sense #1 - good idea, out of the ordinary and fits the theme well. The treatment fits such an ornate building and I feel that you have got the colours just right, with the rich red and gold carpet being the stand out and the other greys, blues, browns being complementary. It is a fascinating image.(y)

#2 - that old obsession! :rolleyes: No pebbles but cleverly done and good processing

Iain
Sense #1 - good idea, out of the ordinary and fits the theme well. The treatment fits such an ornate building and I feel that you have got the colours just right, with the rich red and gold carpet being the stand out and the other greys, blues, browns being complementary. It is a fascinating image.(y)

#2 - that old obsession! :rolleyes: No pebbles but cleverly done and good processing

Thanks Alan (y)
I enjoyed taking & making the cathedral image.
Yes, my obsession, can't help it ;)

Sense, No1 gets my vote, love the processing.

Cheers John (y)

Well, I have had a busy week, been away on a residential course all week with work so couldn't get any shots for ending until this morning after returning home late last night.

Even then this requires liberal use of the crowbar to fit my take on the theme into place.

My thinking was the ends of the cutlery fork prongs, knife point etc :D
Told you it needed a little tickle with the crowbar ;)
I wasn't feeling the inspiration for the theme anyway so post and be damned.

C&C welcome but not expected as its late and not really on theme.

Week 8 - Ending

Week 8 - Ending
by iain blake, on Flickr

A super narrow DoF there mate !!!

Nicely done getting the tips of all 3 items lined up, shame the knife tip isn't on the same plane :thinking:... maybe in the center of the 3 would look better :thinking:

Anyway, nice and shiny, love the letterbox crop and the surface they are on is cool too (y)

A super narrow DoF there mate !!!

Nicely done getting the tips of all 3 items lined up, shame the knife tip isn't on the same plane :thinking:... maybe in the center of the 3 would look better :thinking:

Anyway, nice and shiny, love the letterbox crop and the surface they are on is cool too (y)

Thanks Dean (y)

Cheers for the suggestions, I might have a further play with the composition.

Hi Iain .... I like the second one much more :) smashing top shadow on the knife, I really like the image, it looks good in the black and white. The themes can be difficult can't they :(

Thanks Susie (y)
Yes sometimes with the themes inspiration doesn't strike :(

Ahhhh that's much better to my eyes (y)

On theme, it's a bit of a stretch but hey who's isn't with a theme like that :)

Cheers Dean (y)
Good shout on the composition :D

Crowbar aside, it's an intersting photograph. The DOF on the 105mm even @ f5.6 is slither thin. I do like it, especially the edit. Nice clinical feel to it and the surface works well.

Here you go ;)

Crowbar #1
by igobyjim, on Flickr

:D Cheers Andy, whats a little crowbar amongst friends? ;)

second image is great, like the surface sets it off well, what is it?

p.s
I have a spare crow bar if you need an extra one :)

Cheers Craig (y)
The surface is a sheet of metal from B&Q, they sell various patterns, cost me about a tenner.

Crowbar, I don't need a crowbar @Judi (my favourite :love:) says it fits the theme so :mooning::D

Sense - Ooo yeah I like the cathedral shot, HDR yes? I love a bit of HDR, done right though, you have certainly nailed that. Mixed in with the UWA and you've got me won over!

Ending - I know what you mean I was struggling for inspiration too - "ending" would have been soooo much better for Week 52. Good DoF, I like the back light and surface. My cup of tea? Not really but still a good image. You've done better than me though, I'm handing in a Joker for this :eek:

Good efforts mate (y)

Sense - Ooo yeah I like the cathedral shot, HDR yes? I love a bit of HDR, done right though, you have certainly nailed that. Mixed in with the UWA and you've got me won over!

Ending - I know what you mean I was struggling for inspiration too - "ending" would have been soooo much better for Week 52. Good DoF, I like the back light and surface. My cup of tea? Not really but still a good image. You've done better than me though, I'm handing in a Joker for this :eek:

Good efforts mate (y)

Cheers Simon (y)
These themes come along very now and then where for me inspiration fails to strike.
Having been away all week, its my best shot at it, onward and upward :D

Back