weekly Boots' 52 for 2021

Nice, like others have said the movement in the water really adds to the image. Good job.

Snappers Choice
Nice colours but would like to see it zoomed in and filling the frame

Pair
What's not to love with a pair of snow, definitely works better in mono

Made me chuckle Paul. Would it have worked in B&W I wonder :)

I knew what film it was but it drove me mad for about an hour trying to remember its name

simple and works well

Worked it out right away although can't say what number it would be, I will go with the original. Have you edited the colours of the tablets in post processing?

Worked it out right away although can't say what number it would be, I will go with the original. Have you edited the colours of the tablets in post processing?
Oh yes! Sadly the whole colour change took much more effort than I had expected - stretching my Ps skills. I only had white pills to play with and I naively assumed it would be just a few moments work to change the colours.

Thanks for commenting Stuart!

I admit I had to look it up - wasn't familiar with that name!. Well done on the processing.

I've tried looking it up and I still don't get it. :thinking:

Nice image, but I must admit I didn't get it either (not too much of a film watcher to be honest). Good idea and very cryptic (ish) - I like it.

Week 8 - Half (Halves)

Half-2.JPG

Half-frame numbering

With apologies to people unused to 35mm film, here is a brief explanation.

Back when people took photos on film, the dominant film size became 35mm. Despite its small size, some photographers still found it to be too expensive, and used half-frame cameras. These took two images in the space occupied by one full-frame image. To support this (fairly small) group, the film manufacturers had to provide edge markings that allowed each half-frame image to be identified. The normal way is to provide a full-frame numbers, and mid-way between, a number with an "A", as demonstrated in the example below. However, I came across this old Agfa Isopan SS film in the family archives that numbers each half-frame. Being a nerdy sort of bloke, I thought this was interesting. Most of you probably do not.

The image above shows my (older) sister at about two and a half years old in 1960/61 in Hong Kong. I would have shown an example from later in the film where the numbers make it even more obvious, rising up to 70+, but sadly my father fogged the end of the film.

The image below shows my father leaning nonchalantly against a balustrade in Florence in the mid-fifties. Both examples were, I believe taken on the same camera, which I think was an Agfa (long gone). Note the same appalling film registration and the same bulge on the corner of each frame.

Half-1.JPG

Thanks for bearing with me, and I'm sorry for taking so much of your time!

Interesting info Paul, on seeing the photo I’d immediately thought of ‘half processed’, but I see what you were thinking now that you’ve explained it. Fascinating to have those old negatives which I assume could still be developed!
Thanks Susie! As you point out, these images are very much still alive.

That's interesting, and nice to see some old negatives enlarged.

Interesting indeed. Is there a half-frame camera in your future? I roll my own 24s because 36 is way too many. 72 before developing would just depress me.

I've never noticed (or thought about) half frame markings before, but now you mentioned it I can sound clever at parties.

Every day's a school day.

That's interesting, and nice to see some old negatives enlarged.

Thanks David!

Interesting indeed. Is there a half-frame camera in your future?

Thanks Ian! But, no - I do not see a half frame camera coming my way. Partly because of the 72 frame problem and partly because I am enjoying going larger rather than smaller. I'm still pondering the square format on 35mm (you pointed out the Tenax a while back - very scarce), but even there I think I am better served by 12 on 120.

Back