weekly brownin's prjct52: 52,FINISHED!

Hi Nathan

Lovely shot for Elegant,subtle lighting, nice shadow ....very Elegant indeed :clap:......Wonder if a quite high key effect would work :thinking:

plus I hate doing the same this as other people I like to try and find something different.
I agree and its not easy is it?
But I think you got away with it :D

Elegant indeed. Nicely composed with soft shadows. I'd like a little more contrast.

Cheers.

i did try with a little more contrast but it looked a lot less elegant.

Hi Nathan

Lovely shot for Elegant,subtle lighting, nice shadow ....very Elegant indeed :clap:......Wonder if a quite high key effect would work :thinking:

Feel free to play...

@blondie606 Fight...fight...fight :D

who will referee this one....?

I agree and its not easy is it?
But I think you got away with it :D

Thanks cobra, Its not easy at all, all part of the fun of it I suppose though

Elegant - a nice shot lovely lighting on the figurines, I think I'd probably like a whiter background.

believe it or not, that is a very white background , The set-up is very scruffy as I used my lovely ikea book case and lined it with Whiter than white A4 Paper, i tried then with built in flash (all I have) but the shadows and imperfections in my diy light box was awful so I opted for longer shutter hence not very white.

thanks all for your comments

:) Welcome aboard Nathan !!!

And that's very nice for elegant.
I do like the composition with the figures to the far right giving room for the shadows and a bit of negative space.

Thank you, my wife got a bit fed up after a while of me clicking away in the corner of our living room instead of making dinner, so given the circumstances im quite happy, I need a flash gun though, it's now limiting me an awful lot with creative shots and the built in flash.

Hi Nathan and first off, apologies, I don't know how I've missed your thread :oops: :$

Patterns - I like your choice of angle and the DOF is spot on so well done :clap:

Bliss - Apart from a bit of a straighten and cloning out the white bits on top left of the cup that is a great image for the theme. I love the steam rising....

Scenic - I agree with what has been said, it's ok but lacks a focal point for me, something to give it a bit more interest rather than more pp as was suggested earlier. My rule of thumb is if I have to mess around with an image a lot that I should have taken a better pic in the first place :D

Companions - prefer the second shot and agree it would have been a little better if you had held hands but life is full of shoulda, woulda, coulda....... :rolleyes:

Elegant - They certainly look Elegant and, just a nitpicky personal preference, I think it would look better reversed with the dancers on the left as though they were moving into the space on the right. I think that has something to do with the fact that we read L to R. But it's also good to break the rules too and I'm sure @pjm1 said he prefers stuff that way.

Good start to the 52 :clap::clap:

Hi Nathan

I really like your Elegant shot. It stands out on the photos thread. I like the soft shadows and the lack of traditional B&W contrast. The softness works well and compliments the lines in the image and the square crop works well. Terribly minor crit would be to flip horizontally as I personally prefer space on the right but that's really pedantic :)

Hi Nathan and first off, apologies, I don't know how I've missed your thread :oops: :$

Patterns - I like your choice of angle and the DOF is spot on so well done :clap:

Bliss - Apart from a bit of a straighten and cloning out the white bits on top left of the cup that is a great image for the theme. I love the steam rising....

Scenic - I agree with what has been said, it's ok but lacks a focal point for me, something to give it a bit more interest rather than more pp as was suggested earlier. My rule of thumb is if I have to mess around with an image a lot that I should have taken a better pic in the first place :D

Companions - prefer the second shot and agree it would have been a little better if you had held hands but life is full of shoulda, woulda, coulda....... :rolleyes:

Elegant - They certainly look Elegant and, just a nitpicky personal preference, I think it would look better reversed with the dancers on the left as though they were moving into the space on the right. I think that has something to do with the fact that we read L to R. But it's also good to break the rules too and I'm sure @pjm1 said he prefers stuff that way.

Good start to the 52 :clap::clap:

no need to apologise lots of threads to get through so little time as they say, if anything i only found yours today too, we'r even ;)

thanks for your comments,

patterns - was mostly a fluke as I'm rather active on the 'what is it thread' and this one I took was one that kept them going a while and it fit' right in with the theme

scenic - was literally spur of the moment, I was driving over a snowy head of the valleys road heading towards Brecon and come across it, only had a 5 minute stop but took about 25 shots all varying but this one was the only one to fit the bill allbeit a little boring/safe.

Companions - completely agree

elegant - never thought of the natural reading left to right effecting imagery also, good point taken on board.

appreciate the time for all your comments and critique :)

Hi Nathan

I really like your Elegant shot. It stands out on the photos thread. I like the soft shadows and the lack of traditional B&W contrast. The softness works well and compliments the lines in the image and the square crop works well. Terribly minor crit would be to flip horizontally as I personally prefer space on the right but that's really pedantic :)

thanks for the critique, you know I was limited by the wall on my left for shooting that way but I can't believe I overlooked that easy ps workaround. thank you for waking me up to that one ha ha

I can't believe I overlooked that easy ps workaround. thank you for waking me up to that one ha ha

Just have to watch out for anything with writing in it... ;)

Hi Nathan

That edited companions shot is great - sometimes less is more on the processing front... you'd taken a good shot so no need to hide it with a vignette ;) @ChrisHeathcote has some good suggestions re: recomposing.

Elegant: a nice take on the theme. My only suggestion would be to move the statue further from the wall so the shadow is much softer / not visible. The alternative would be to have a hard shadow on the wall - effectively a second subject, but we need to be careful as they can distract from the main subject. Lighting is pretty good for a tricky subject (I hate shooting glossies) - perhaps a touch too much glare on her skirt but very minor. Could be solved by using a larger light source or getting the one you used closer and throwing a muslin or two over it. That would also help with the shadow as the inverse square law would create a greater differential in lighting between the subject and the wall if you moved it closer (and reduced power accordingly, obviously!)

@Harlequin565 makes an interesting point re: left vs right compositions. Bryan Peterson has written a good book (IMO) on photographic composition called "Learn to See Creatively". In it, he talks about the left-right rule and makes the assertion that most (but not all) shots look better to western eyes if the subject is placed on the right of the frame with space on the left. The reasoning for this is our left-to-right reading sense and by placing the subject at the right, we look first at the space, then lock onto the subject. Because it's close to the end of the frame our immediate peripheral vision tells us not to go any further and we stay looking at the subject (this can be verified by eye tracking experiments). Conversely, flipping it around means we start looking at the subject on the left, but then drift to the open space which is obviously less engaging... and keep going until we look out of the frame and away. Of course, he then goes to show an image which absolutely defies this logic but that's because an interesting part of the image is actually the supposed negative space and the subject's close relationship with that space... but that's more unusual. I should also say, I don't always subscribe to the L-R view myself - not sure whether that means I'm not actually Western but hey ho! Supposedly the significant majority do...

@Harlequin565 makes an interesting point re: left vs right compositions. Bryan Peterson has written a good book (IMO) on photographic composition called "Learn to See Creatively". In it, he talks about the left-right rule and makes the assertion that most (but not all) shots look better to western eyes if the subject is placed on the right of the frame with space on the left. The reasoning for this is our left-to-right reading sense and by placing the subject at the right, we look first at the space, then lock onto the subject. Because it's close to the end of the frame our immediate peripheral vision tells us not to go any further and we stay looking at the subject (this can be verified by eye tracking experiments). Conversely, flipping it around means we start looking at the subject on the left, but then drift to the open space which is obviously less engaging... and keep going until we look out of the frame and away. Of course, he then goes to show an image which absolutely defies this logic but that's because an interesting part of the image is actually the supposed negative space and the subject's close relationship with that space... but that's more unusual. I should also say, I don't always subscribe to the L-R view myself - not sure whether that means I'm not actually Western but hey ho! Supposedly the significant majority do...

This tagging lark is fun isn't it @pjm1 ?

I found "Understanding Exposure" to be a brilliant book on the technical aspects of Photography, but from what you've written above it sounds like Mr P has been taking too many blue pills...! I find it intensely awkward to look at an image with a subject on the right of the frame and the space to the left. Maybe the UK is "Middlern" and the US is Western. Maybe that's why it sounds like bo......

So starting to struggle already and so early on in the project, never mind stick at it. Watery was difficult for me I just couldn't think of something that was interesting let alone photo worthy. so I checked weather and waited for the rain, It came and here was my only real takes on the theme?

2 submissions. a or b?

watery reflection
week6b by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

or just plain pastelly Watery
week6 by NathanBrowning, on Flickr

watery, hmm I can't decide which I prefer. the 2nd one is more ethereal but I like the light in the first one. interested in how did you did it? window pane?

ok some crit, you'll find I am usually contrary lol, I go with looks rather than techniques tho as I'm not an expert. so,

bliss - love the steam and makes a good subject for the theme. I think the object on the right makes it too cluttered for such a tight crop tho
scenic - I like this one fine as it is, colours work for me.
companions - I prefer the vignetted version lol
elegant - I would like to see the shadow either stronger with better defined edges or not there at all. I like the muted b&w tones tho

don't give up yet, loadsa weeks left yet lol

Hi, I'd echo Summer's comments, stick with it. This is my 5th year and trust me I've had some real low points (as, I'm sure @blondie606 and @michael23) have.

You've done well. I like the idea, just needs some tweaking. 1 second exposure, not sure if this has contributed to the softness or if it's slightly pit of focus :thinking:

Put this one to bed and move on (y)

Cheer.

Hi Nathan, I wouldn't worry about a struggle, as Andy says it happens quite bit some times, and when you are least expecting it. Water droplets have all sorts of potential. I like your thinking here. My preferred one is the 1st. Mainly because it has a bit more brightness behind the big droplet. It does look a little soft, probably a difficult surface to af on. Also if you haven't already done so, set the self timer and use that to allow any excess vibrations to disappear before the shutter is released.

Have a look out for other objects with rain drops on, even mundane things like a clothes line pole can look good, And of course, you can re visit this theme when a re-shoot pops up.

Hi Nath,

the second shot for watery works best for me. I think the composition works slightly better. I think I also prefer the colours of it too!

Watery....I like both images, the second being my favourite.

I tried something like this during the week, and I just couldn't get the droplets to look "right", so kudos to you on that.

Hi Nathan,

Watery - two nice shots. I think I prefer the first, I couldn't say why, but it's the one my eyes keep going to

Watery: Prefer number one, I like the tiny droplets.

Watery - #2 for me please :)

And don't give up yet as we all struggle at some point with this kind of challenge. What it means to me is that I have got the camera out 8 more times than I would have if I hadn't jumped in this year. Every time we use the camera it brings down the cost per use and therefore we can justify spending money on gear :ROFLMAO: at least that's what I tell myself :whistle:

Hi Nathan,

Bold - I see what you were aiming at with the cottages, but I think the foreground swamps them - is there any way you could have got in closer?

The letters work - very bold indeed

Bold coloured cottages, they are that (y)
I'm in two minds whether them peeping through the trees like that works,
Possibly I'd say yes, as the colours showing through a drab bald winter tree.

Yeah, bold colours indeed, but as said, they are a little lost. Pity you could not have got either closer of around the other side.

Cheers.

ok some crit, you'll find I am usually contrary lol, I go with looks rather than techniques tho as I'm not an expert. so,

bliss - love the steam and makes a good subject for the theme. I think the object on the right makes it too cluttered for such a tight crop tho
scenic - I like this one fine as it is, colours work for me.
companions - I prefer the vignetted version lol
elegant - I would like to see the shadow either stronger with better defined edges or not there at all. I like the muted b&w tones tho

don't give up yet, loadsa weeks left yet lol

Thanks for your comments, sorry for the delay in replying been rather busy in work. I agree with your comments most of my shots so far have been spur of the moment no time to switch lenses and i wish id taken more time with them, thank you for all the feedback.

Hi, I'd echo Summer's comments, stick with it. This is my 5th year and trust me I've had some real low points (as, I'm sure @blondie606 and @michael23) have.

You've done well. I like the idea, just needs some tweaking. 1 second exposure, not sure if this has contributed to the softness or if it's slightly pit of focus :thinking:

Put this one to bed and move on (y)

Cheer.

thank you

Hi Nathan, I wouldn't worry about a struggle, as Andy says it happens quite bit some times, and when you are least expecting it. Water droplets have all sorts of potential. I like your thinking here. My preferred one is the 1st. Mainly because it has a bit more brightness behind the big droplet. It does look a little soft, probably a difficult surface to af on. Also if you haven't already done so, set the self timer and use that to allow any excess vibrations to disappear before the shutter is released.

Have a look out for other objects with rain drops on, even mundane things like a clothes line pole can look good, And of course, you can re visit this theme when a re-shoot pops up.

Believe it or not this was tripod and self timer, manual focus with my Raynox, Composition wise I never thought of the washing line or something with a lead in with the drops on it, thanks again for the tips

Hi Nath,

the second shot for watery works best for me. I think the composition works slightly better. I think I also prefer the colours of it too!

cheers rob, fairly bland on both of them but I quite like the murky pastelly colours.

Watery - two great images I like the reflections in the droplets in the first image.

cheers mandy

Watery....I like both images, the second being my favourite.

I tried something like this during the week, and I just couldn't get the droplets to look "right", so kudos to you on that.

Manual focus 50mm F1.8 and a Raynox is my kit setup took a bit of patience and fiddling but i think it paid off, thanks for your comments

Hi Nathan,

Watery - two nice shots. I think I prefer the first, I couldn't say why, but it's the one my eyes keep going to

me too, thank you

Watery: Prefer number one, I like the tiny droplets.

:)

Watery - #2 for me please :)

And don't give up yet as we all struggle at some point with this kind of challenge. What it means to me is that I have got the camera out 8 more times than I would have if I hadn't jumped in this year. Every time we use the camera it brings down the cost per use and therefore we can justify spending money on gear :ROFLMAO: at least that's what I tell myself :whistle:

I'm still here WOOP!

Hi Nathan,

Bold - I see what you were aiming at with the cottages, but I think the foreground swamps them - is there any way you could have got in closer?

The letters work - very bold indeed

I couldn't unfortunately this was shot from a fair distance, never attempted to go around the other side as it was a quick snap and go as i didn't want any owners kicking off with me taking pictures of their home

Bold coloured cottages, they are that (y)
I'm in two minds whether them peeping through the trees like that works,
Possibly I'd say yes, as the colours showing through a drab bald winter tree.

cheers mate. still here, plodding along

Yeah, bold colours indeed, but as said, they are a little lost. Pity you could not have got either closer of around the other side.

Cheers.

theres a very bold row of terraced houses behind me during this shot, i might post them a little later but they are modern so i wasn't sure they made quite as nice composition

Hi Nathan

I often wonder why people paint their homes such loud colors :thinking: Agree they're a little lost in the frame but wonder if a boost in color saturation would help ?

I'll give it a go, thanks for the feedback

OK I'll go first :) Of the 3 no 2 is my favourite, the lighting on the candle seems more natural, possibly a touch more DOF to make the person a little clearer, but lose the cup.

No 1, the lighting on the candle looks a little fake and forced, although I will admit I prefer the tops of candles to look like they're illuminated by just the flame, so others may disagree. you could change this by putting a CTO Gel on the flash which will warm it up. Again the cup is a little distracting.

No.3 I'm guessing there is a flash out of shot at camera right close to wall adding to the ambient. the light drop-off on the wall is a draws the eye away to the that corner, moving it away from the wall would help, I possibly place it behind the candle.

Now to finish, I like the concept and it it is totally on theme, I like the crop on No.1 and looking again at no 2 big on Flickr, I do like this one (y)

Don't like number 1 because the cup is neither in focus nor out of focus enough; number 3 has the same feature.

I prefer number 2 but would have liked the candle vertical.

Fits the theme well.

Back