weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill, I love this, you caught the wave at just the right time (I'm glad your camera stayed dry). Definitely one for printing out & hanging on the wall :clap:

:agree:

Absolutely Beautiful image Jill, :clap:
I've seen a few similar style, but this one is the best by far, DOF looks great to me, even better on your Flickr page, Great work.
and I must agree, It's very relaxing by, on and in the Sea. :)

Stoned again Jill?
Good on you :D
I love the DoF on this (y)

I don't often say this but I could probably see this on canvas on my wall (unlike last week's :p)

I think it would make a nice wall hanging, right along side last weeks ;) :D

Hi, a nice relaxing image though it doesn't sound like it was very relaxing setting it up,

Not sure if I would like to see a bigger DoF or not, it works a it is though (y)

Thanks Allan - and it's a lot less scary than yours this week :D

hi Jill, love this one, not only relaxing to look at, but also reminds me of the spa treatments you see advertised where stones are put on your back (no idea what it is but I have seen the pictures :p )

Hi Summer, thanks so much for looking. It's called 'Hot Stone Therapy' where they heat the stones in a sort of slow cooker thingy and then place them on different parts of your body :LOL: I'd rather have a massage :D

Absolutely Beautiful image Jill, :clap:
I've seen a few similar style, but this one is the best by far, DOF looks great to me, even better on your Flickr page, Great work.
and I must agree, It's very relaxing by, on and in the Sea. :)

Thanks you so much :ty: I love praise me :p

Stoned again Jill?
Good on you :D
I love the DoF on this (y)

I think it would make a nice wall hanging, right along side last weeks ;) :D

Damn, how could you tell :whistle: that was nearly my submission but halfway through I forgot I wanted to take a picture :ROFLMAO: (Purely medicinal in my case of course :nailbiting:)

Glad you like it and you do realise you used the word 'love' in that post, I thought you would have only 'quite liked it' :exit:

Glad you like it and you do realise you used the word 'love' in that post, I thought you would have only 'quite liked it' :exit:
Bugger I guess I was stoned, I meant to say "its Ok I guess" :D

Another 2 super pics for bold and relax. Both perfect!

I don't often say this but I could probably see this on canvas on my wall (unlike last week's :p)

If you can do a 52 and get one photo that fits this criteria when shooting to a theme, you're doing really well. It's easy to point the camera and press the button, but being a bit more inventive takes thought and time. It's a stunning shot Jill and well worth the story. The photo itself doesn't say "relax" but it does inspire thoughts of what it's like to relax! that's a talent I think when taking photos. I think it's the best of your Flickr shots too.

Really lovely entry Jill.

Apologies for not having visited before. Having looked at your thread I feel your images certainly merit me tracking back to the beginning so here goes……

Pattern - I like the leaf shot. It would have been easy to chose a white background but in this case the tone works nicely with the leaf

Bliss - I like the idea for this. The subjects are positioned nicely in the frame and the point of view from behind them also works well. You’ve also handled the exposure well in what looks like quite harsh conditions

Fragile - The first shot fits the theme nicely. It needs some more exposure but I feel it brings an emotional story to the subject

Scenic - A pleasant scene but missing something I feel. Maybe a bit more contrast dialled in or maybe some fluffy clouds? Nothing you can do about the latter though. I bet the photo was taken level but it’s one of those angled shorelines that make the picture look like some rotation is needed.

Companions - Are these the same couple from your Bliss shot? Even from behind you’ve captured a connect between the couple. The tone on the conversion is fine although my eyes are drawn to the bright right corner.

Elegant - Whilst I’d have liked to have seen some texture in the background rather than the stark black. However the lighting on the subject is nice. It has meant that you can tell it’s a 3D object which is good. The exposure on the subject is also spot on. Out of the two I prefer the inclusion of the frame.

Watery - This might be the simplest of your images so far but this is my favourite. It’s the simplicity and abstractness that makes it strong. The blue and green tones blend beautifully with the blacks and whites setting it off nicely. Good one.

Bold - Definitely a bold move from you this week and congratulations to you for trying and publishing this. Well exposed (forgive the pun) and a classic pose nicely and tastefully done. The use of the red velvety backdrop is an inspired choice.

Relax - Great idea. The shallow DoF makes this work very well. Again you’ve got the exposure spot on in harsh lighting conditions. If I was being picky I’d have liked to have seen it with a wider angle but I am partial to negative space.

Yep that's real smasher Jill ...composition is absolutely spot on....I could hang that on my wall and be very happy with it :clap:

Thanks so much Susie :)

I like that, good timing with the receding wave.

Thanks Stan, and the wave was actually coming in :)

If you can do a 52 and get one photo that fits this criteria when shooting to a theme, you're doing really well. It's easy to point the camera and press the button, but being a bit more inventive takes thought and time. It's a stunning shot Jill and well worth the story. The photo itself doesn't say "relax" but it does inspire thoughts of what it's like to relax! that's a talent I think when taking photos. I think it's the best of your Flickr shots too.

Really lovely entry Jill.

Wow, Ian, thanks so much. All I can say was looking at it made me feel relaxed immediately, and still does :D

Hi Jill

Bold.....stunning, absolutley brilliant , a massive :clap::clap::clap: for having the courage to do this & do it so bloomin well :notworthy::notworthy:

Relax....oh yes, love the back story( had to giggle :LOL: , they indignities we suffer for our art !) lovely DOF & brilliant timing on the wave :clap:

Apologies for not having visited before. Having looked at your thread I feel your images certainly merit me tracking back to the beginning so here goes……

Pattern - I like the leaf shot. It would have been easy to chose a white background but in this case the tone works nicely with the leaf

Bliss - I like the idea for this. The subjects are positioned nicely in the frame and the point of view from behind them also works well. You’ve also handled the exposure well in what looks like quite harsh conditions

Thanks Peter, it was just a random couple who wandered up and then settled down whilst I was trying to find something to photograph for the theme.

Fragile - The first shot fits the theme nicely. It needs some more exposure but I feel it brings an emotional story to the subject

I left it dark as that's how it feels to me as the subject sometimes :(

Scenic - A pleasant scene but missing something I feel. Maybe a bit more contrast dialled in or maybe some fluffy clouds? Nothing you can do about the latter though. I bet the photo was taken level but it’s one of those angled shorelines that make the picture look like some rotation is needed.

Yup, pleasant just about sums it up, and quite hazy here at this time of year.

Companions - Are these the same couple from your Bliss shot? Even from behind you’ve captured a connect between the couple. The tone on the conversion is fine although my eyes are drawn to the bright right corner.

That's me and Mr B :)

Elegant - Whilst I’d have liked to have seen some texture in the background rather than the stark black. However the lighting on the subject is nice. It has meant that you can tell it’s a 3D object which is good. The exposure on the subject is also spot on. Out of the two I prefer the inclusion of the frame.

Watery - This might be the simplest of your images so far but this is my favourite. It’s the simplicity and abstractness that makes it strong. The blue and green tones blend beautifully with the blacks and whites setting it off nicely. Good one.

Glad you like it (y)

Bold - Definitely a bold move from you this week and congratulations to you for trying and publishing this. Well exposed (forgive the pun) and a classic pose nicely and tastefully done. The use of the red velvety backdrop is an inspired choice.

Relax - Great idea. The shallow DoF makes this work very well. Again you’ve got the exposure spot on in harsh lighting conditions. If I was being picky I’d have liked to have seen it with a wider angle but I am partial to negative space.

Thanks for spending so much time looking and commenting Peter, I appreciate it

Hi Jill

Bold.....stunning, absolutley brilliant , a massive :clap::clap::clap: for having the courage to do this & do it so bloomin well :notworthy::notworthy:

Relax....oh yes, love the back story( had to giggle :LOL: , they indignities we suffer for our art !) lovely DOF & brilliant timing on the wave :clap:

Wow, thanks so much Lynne :)

Hey Jill. Really great take on the theme for bold and well executed to boot. I also love your relax shot very nicely done. (y)

Thanks Phil, appreciate it (y)

Really love this Jill.
I can really see it blown up on canvas and hanging in the lobby of some fancy spa.

Last edited:
Love it!
Great minds think alike.
I'll have to get my thinking cap on again now!

Yep simple but effective. The frame works well. Some nice detail when viewed on Flickr ... so I'd like to see a bigger version posted on here.

Nice Jill. I like the different shades and you've captured the texture. I don't mind boarders, I do them on prints I'm not mounting. BUT, I wondering if it's within theme :thinking:. Yes there are vertical on the screen but I bet they were horizontal when shot ;)

Last edited:
Yep simple but effective. The frame works well. Some nice detail when viewed on Flickr ... so I'd like to see a bigger version posted on here.

Hi David, glad you like it. I think a bigger version might be too large for here? I always post the medium option from flickr. OK, changed it for a bigger version, any better @d00d

Nice Jill. I like the different shades and you've captured the texture. I don't mind boarders, I do them on prints I'm not mounting. BUT, I wondering if it's within theme :thinking:. Yes there are vertical on the screen but I bet they were horizontal when shot ;)

Artistic licence innit :whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
A simple yet very effective idea Jill.
Lovely warm colour tones from the wooden skewers which are pleasing on the eye. Good work (y)

Hi Jill,

cracking idea for this week's theme, simple but very effective. I'm not always a fan of borders, but in this cas I think you were right to add one. It finishes the image off :)

Hi, can only agree with the comments above, a simple but good idea carried out perfectly (y)
I am not big on borders but in this case it works

Back