weekly Bruja's 2015 52 CHRISTMAS and DONE!!!!

Hi Jill, it's my first time in your thread as I was planning to get completely up to date before venturing 'out' of my thread, but as you've been so kind to look through my thread I'm here to return the compliment :)

I've enjoyed looking through the whole thread and my favourites are your very first image, the leaf on the lightbox, for the beautiful details and colours, your image and back story for Companions, which conveys a lot of warmth and closeness, Elegant is striking and you should both be proud of your work on that one, Watery made me smile as we both had the same thing in mind when we took them :) but the colours in your make all the difference. Mine was taken on a breezy, overcast Manx day with no colour at all so mono was a no brainer, whereas yours has all the texture and movement in the water but some lovely splashes of colour too - very nice indeed!

For Bold - well, wow, aren't you brave! Another striking image and you convey a great sense of peace and calm, as does your image for Relax which is really lovely, and great timing and planning to get the sea foaming around the stones as you have. Vertical and Close Up 2 are two more striking images with lots of detail and yet a minimal style that works very well, and I really like Experiment 2 and Heat 1 for the delicate colour and veins in the flower and the lighting and composition of the peppers, with the spots of water helping to highlight the bright red tones.

Up to date with Household and this is a cracker, well thought up and composed, and your husband's expression really makes it! :clap: I'll look forward to keeping up with your thread in future :)

Last edited:
Fun image Jill.
Poor fella looks more than a little brassed off. :LOL:

Hi, very funny certainly looks like the novelty has worn off, why on earth is he ironing t-shirts surely life is to short

nice take on the theme (y) and as always a good background story

Thanks Allan, and as for ironing the t-shirts, what can I say, he's very particular :)

As Allan says, the story really adds to the photo.
A well executed shot capturing an expressions that says "put that ****** camera away" ;)

That about sums it up :D

I love this shot Jill - a man ironing - what's not to like? :D, even if he does look like he'd rather be doing anything else.

Brilliant idea for the theme :clap::clap:

Thanks Lorraine (y)

MMMM perhaps I better go on the lookout to replace my other half :banana::banana: Can just imagine what he'd say to me If I asked him to do the ironing.

This did make me smile. A different coloured T shirt that Mr B was ironing would have stood out from the ironing board.

Thanks Mandy but that might have been a request too far given his expression ;)

Great shot Jill ...and a brilliant expression on hubby's face ...I hope he only irons the fronts of those shirts :) Agree with Mandy about the white shirt next to the white iron, but a great shot and perfect for this weeks theme.

Thanks Susie (y)

Hi Jill

Figures - I like this one, for an iPhone image it works really well, has it had a tilt-shift type processing to it ??

Household - Now he looks well chuffed to be A) doing the ironing and/or B) being chosen to be photographed doing the ironing - Great fun image, like it :)

Yes I added T/S, and it just goes to show, it's not the size of the tool that matters but how you use it ;)

As for Household it was 30C so no, he wasn't best chuffed :whistle:

Haha, love it Jill! The expression on his face and the fact he's left his watch on say to me "I'll give you another 5 minutes before I chuck this iron at you" :D

The things he has to put up with :ROFLMAO:. thanks Elaine (y)

Hi Jill, it's my first time in your thread as I was planning to get completely up to date before venturing 'out' of my thread, but as you've been so kind to look through my thread I'm here to return the compliment :)

I've enjoyed looking through the whole thread and my favourites are your very first image, the leaf on the lightbox, for the beautiful details and colours, your image and back story for Companions, which conveys a lot of warmth and closeness, Elegant is striking and you should both be proud of your work on that one, Watery made me smile as we both had the same thing in mind when we took them :) but the colours in your make all the difference. Mine was taken on a breezy, overcast Manx day with no colour at all so mono was a no brainer, whereas yours has all the texture and movement in the water but some lovely splashes of colour too - very nice indeed!

For Bold - well, wow, aren't you brave! Another striking image and you convey a great sense of peace and calm, as does your image for Relax which is really lovely, and great timing and planning to get the sea foaming around the stones as you have. Vertical and Close Up 2 are two more striking images with lots of detail and yet a minimal style that works very well, and I really like Experiment 2 and Heat 1 for the delicate colour and veins in the flower and the lighting and composition of the peppers, with the spots of water helping to highlight the bright red tones.

Up to date with Household and this is a cracker, well thought up and composed, and your husband's expression really makes it! :clap: I'll look forward to keeping up with your thread in future :)

Wow, thanks for all that feedback Andrea. Glad you like them :)

Nice one Jill,

you must like wedding cake ;)

Hi Phil, well I like the Marzipan ;).

Phil

Household, can't comment on the technical side, but really made me chuckle.

I do all the ironing in our house and catch up on Netflix :)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, I can crit it though, he moved his head slightly just as I took it so his hair and eyes are slightly oof ;)

Wotta hunk .... I hope he doesn't iron his hand.

Hahahaha David, I have to agree with you :D

Fun image Jill.
Poor fella looks more than a little brassed off. :LOL:

Hi Ruth, yes, he was getting a bit fed up and my arms were aching holding the camera up and there wasn't room for a tripod ;)

Hi Jill, what a brilliant take on the theme and a great write up behind the shot too. I would sack him if I were you; 24 years still at it ironing that T-shirt/vest! :) :LOL:

Hi Stan, I never said he was fast :p

Hi Jill, trouble here:)

Sound.... I dunno about me being a martyr to the cause what about you!.... Mine is just stupidity induced;)......
I'm a bit like that with concentration, cant read a book if there's anything else going on, and like music but sometimes find it a bit intense and just not with it....
Like the shot, and see exactly where your coming from .... I love silence.... I'm a bit weird like that, had several experiences which I loved. One in Norway at night, in middle of nowhere, snow, Silence!
Also deep in the middle of a large wood at night.... Silence. And on the top of Helvellyn camped alone at night.... Silence
I digress! Its a simple, direct, clear cut image that's shouts. Trying to decide if a square crop would have bettered it.... Maybe not! Like it(y)

Experiment .... Well that was truly and experiment, looks like you had a bit of a trial as much as an experiment! However I think the end result was quite good! I think its a good shot, lots of nice detail in the petal of the carnation.
Pretty sharp DOF throwing the vase slightly OOF .... I think the slightly off centre image works well. As for the full experiment I'd be interested how they eventually finished up did they take up more of the dye in the end? Like all the colours! Think I like No2 slightly better and to me its the experiment in process!
Great Idea bang on theme and works for me!

Heat... No1 is excellent that's what I call a hot shot!:) love the uniformity of the line up, and the water droplets are great makes it look like they are sweating! Really bright vibrant colours that stand out so well against that black background! Great lighting too, love those little highlights (guess that's a marmite thing).
No2 Is nice too, works well with the 3 and the negative space on the right....(y)

Figures.... Never done candid myself apart from wedding stuff. I like the processing on this one Its very good IMHO fading into softened BG really works well here, I feel a bit of tilt shift gears is on the way?;). Interesting characters on the right, like there poses, think you caught that bang on!

Household.... Love it! and after a lot of years married I still wont let the other half Iron my clothes, so as I've got the iron out I might as well carry on. Guess that comes from 12 years in the Navy. I think it originally stemmed from a row when she said something like "if you don't like my Ironing do it yourself" and have ever since. I know you will find this incredulous, but I find it quite therapeutic:eek: Great shot, he's doing a grand job there. Nice clean shot. BG at the top is looking a little hot. but pretty well exposed.

Good Stuff again Jill, always a pleasure to peruse though your shots;)
Keep up the great work(y)

Last edited:
Well, better late than never :)

It's been a rough couple of weeks and now I'm only a week behind and I know what I want to capture for Bizarre so that's good. Then a new theme today :eek: but I don't want to give up just yet. Sorry for not commenting on any posts for the last couple of weeks. Will try and catch up next week ;)

I've got a reshoot of

and this one shows that my camera, in a wooded area has its

It's a little squirrel who jumped just as I closed the shutter. It reminded me of the ghost rabbit in Watership Down :D

Hello, Water a very abstract take on the theme. Looks like crumpled tin foil.

Limit, that very strange and works well. One of the members ones did something similar and did a long exposure of a snail, that was weird as well.

Good show.

Cheers.

Jill, the water re-shoot is absolutely gorgeous!! Totally my kind of picture. I love it.

Limit....yep reminds me of the spirit rabbit from WD too :)

Hi Jill,

I completely agree with Ruth - that water reshoot is a cracking shot, I do like a nice abstract. :clap:

limit - great idea to show the limitation of your camera - was that a squirrel by any chance?

:)

2 really good shots Jill. Love the water reshoot. Limit - really like it too.

Hi, great abstract water pic and the Squirrel pic works really well its one of those pics that you curse the little sods for moving but in this case its worked to your advantage

Good to see you back and are feeling better

Hi Jill

Water reshoot
is a good abstract but I'm not in love with it.

Whereas ... Limit is quite incredible. And you did it without even trying! I could spend the rest of my days working on a squirrel shot like that. And the desolate BG works so well. Love it. (y)

Hi Jill, trouble here:)

Sound.... I dunno about me being a martyr to the cause what about you!.... Mine is just stupidity induced;)......
I'm a bit like that with concentration, cant read a book if there's anything else going on, and like music but sometimes find it a bit intense and just not with it....
Like the shot, and see exactly where your coming from .... I love silence.... I'm a bit weird like that, had several experiences which I loved. One in Norway at night, in middle of nowhere, snow, Silence!
Also deep in the middle of a large wood at night.... Silence. And on the top of Helvellyn camped alone at night.... Silence
I digress! Its a simple, direct, clear cut image that's shouts. Trying to decide if a square crop would have bettered it.... Maybe not! Like it(y)

Experiment .... Well that was truly and experiment, looks like you had a bit of a trial as much as an experiment! However I think the end result was quite good! I think its a good shot, lots of nice detail in the petal of the carnation.
Pretty sharp DOF throwing the vase slightly OOF .... I think the slightly off centre image works well. As for the full experiment I'd be interested how they eventually finished up did they take up more of the dye in the end? Like all the colours! Think I like No2 slightly better and to me its the experiment in process!
Great Idea bang on theme and works for me! The only colour they took up was BLUE must have been Chelsea supporters

Heat... No1 is excellent that's what I call a hot shot!:) love the uniformity of the line up, and the water droplets are great makes it look like they are sweating! Really bright vibrant colours that stand out so well against that black background! Great lighting too, love those little highlights (guess that's a marmite thing).
No2 Is nice too, works well with the 3 and the negative space on the right....(y)

Figures.... Never done candid myself apart from wedding stuff. I like the processing on this one Its very good IMHO fading into softened BG really works well here, I feel a bit of tilt shift gears is on the way?;). Interesting characters on the right, like there poses, think you caught that bang on!

Household.... Love it! and after a lot of years married I still wont let the other half Iron my clothes, so as I've got the iron out I might as well carry on. Guess that comes from 12 years in the Navy. I think it originally stemmed from a row when she said something like "if you don't like my Ironing do it yourself" and have ever since. I know you will find this incredulous, but I find it quite therapeutic:eek: Great shot, he's doing a grand job there. Nice clean shot. BG at the top is looking a little hot. but pretty well exposed.

Good Stuff again Jill, always a pleasure to peruse though your shots;)
Keep up the great work(y)

Thanks for such detailed and positive feedback yet again Steve (y)

Hello, Water a very abstract take on the theme. Looks like crumpled tin foil.

Limit, that very strange and works well. One of the members ones did something similar and did a long exposure of a snail, that was weird as well.

Good show.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

Jill, the water re-shoot is absolutely gorgeous!! Totally my kind of picture. I love it.

Limit....yep reminds me of the spirit rabbit from WD too :)

Hi Ruth, thanks again for looking :)

Hi Jill,

I completely agree with Ruth - that water reshoot is a cracking shot, I do like a nice abstract. :clap:

limit - great idea to show the limitation of your camera - was that a squirrel by any chance?

:)

wow, thanks Lorraine and, yes, it was a red squirrel :)

2 really good shots Jill. Love the water reshoot. Limit - really like it too.

Hi, great abstract water pic and the Squirrel pic works really well its one of those pics that you curse the little sods for moving but in this case its worked to your advantage

Good to see you back and are feeling better

Thanks Allan, I nailed the theme by accident :p

Hi Jill

Water reshoot
is a good abstract but I'm not in love with it.

Whereas ... Limit is quite incredible. And you did it without even trying! I could spend the rest of my days working on a squirrel shot like that. And the desolate BG works so well. Love it. (y)

Hi David, serendipitous photography at its best :D

Hi Jill
Hows tricks!
Water Reshoot .... that's a cool abstract! all those little cells of light, highlights and ripples very nice!

Limit.... Ah so this is the limit of your shutter speed! A red Squirrel as well not many of them left in the UK now. Funnily enough I live just down the road from the "Real" Watership Down!

Well, the blog continues for those who are interested. The last couple or three weeks have been quite fraught with medical appointments (I had malignant melanoma last year and this was my 6 month check up - all well so far but I've got an impressive scar on my arm :eek:) I've also developed a lipoma on my left shoulder and had to see a surgeon about getting it removed. typical surgeon, zero social skills and obviously prefers his patients asleep :sleep: .As a result of that I have to see the anaesthetist on Monday and before that I had to arrange an ECG and blood tests. Phew. They don't hang about here as I only had to wait 2 weeks to see the surgeon and I suspect the surgery will take place about 2 weeks after I see the anaesthetist.

And on top of that we decided to move to a town and rent an apartment so we can sell this house and live off the proceeds. Well, we decided this on the Tuesday and on the Tuesday pm saw a Spanish letting agent who showed us a property on the Friday which we put the deposit down on to move 1st July. That day we also put our house on the market and have already had 2 viewings. The first couple loved it but made a silly offer so we politely declined. And next week we are off to Madrid for a week in a premature celebration of my 60th .

So another catch up week for me and apologies to all who have commented on my thread as I haven't yet returned the favour.

MY submissions for Bizarre and Broken are quite personal this week. The thing I find Bizarre about this sign and the thought processes behind is all other on street parking in this particular town is without time limit. Also, to get a Blue Badge in Spain is much more difficult and you have to have serious mobility problems. For me to get mine I had to get an appointment at a valuation centre in Almeria. Once there you are interviewed. seperately, by a doctor, psychologist and a social worker. Yep, that's right, 3 separate interviews to decide if you have enough points to qualify for a badge.

Now common sense would surely suggest that if we qualify then our mobility is impaired yes, so we are going to be slower getting around yes, and might even need time to get a wheelchair in and out of the car yes..... Well you can now understand why I think this is

BIZARRE

Bizarre by Bruja Jill, on Flickr

My picture for Broken is also personal as this most of the stuff that keep my broken bits functioning at least some of the time :D

Last edited:
So what was your excuse again for not commenting:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::runaway:

Bloody hell! Not like you have been busy and up to your neck in it then:rolleyes:

Bizarre ... Is that a 45 minute wheelchair race sign;) They obviously haven't helps someone out of a car and into a wheelchair then!
Nice clear sharp shot!

Broke.... OMG what a collection! What else can I say you've beaten my collection but a fair amount! Anyhow has quite an impact !
Keep up the good work and hope your house sale and move goes ok Jill

Hi Jill. Nice interpretations of Bizarre and Broken, particularly the latter.

So what was your excuse again for not commenting:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::runaway:

Bloody hell! Not like you have been busy and up to your neck in it then:rolleyes:

Bizarre ... Is that a 45 minute wheelchair race sign;) They obviously haven't helps someone out of a car and into a wheelchair then!
Nice clear sharp shot!

Broke.... OMG what a collection! What else can I say you've beaten my collection but a fair amount! Anyhow has quite an impact !
Keep up the good work and hope your house sale and move goes ok Jill

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL: Thanks Steve (y)

Hi Jill. Nice interpretations of Bizarre and Broken, particularly the latter.

Hi Carl and welcome to the Challenge. Thanks for looking and commenting and I'll return the favour ASAP

HI Jill. Please don't feel obligated in any way ... especially at this very busy time for you. It was the impact of your imagery that drew my comment - I thought the interpretation for Broken was excellent.

Crikey Jill, you've certainly been busy since I last looked in! I thought I was struggling for time at the moment but you're putting me to shame :)

I absolutely LOVE your reshoot image for Watery - super abstract details and lovely colours; definitely my kind of image! - and Limit is great fun, while your explanation of the sign in Bizarre certainly justifies the title and Broken needs no further explanation. I hope your sale, move and doctor's appointments all go smoothly.

Crikey Jill, you've certainly been busy since I last looked in! I thought I was struggling for time at the moment but you're putting me to shame :)

I absolutely LOVE your reshoot image for Watery - super abstract details and lovely colours; definitely my kind of image! - and Limit is great fun, while your explanation of the sign in Bizarre certainly justifies the title and Broken needs no further explanation. I hope your sale, move and doctor's appointments all go smoothly.

Hi Andrea, yes, I'm a bit busy but it looks like we might have sold the house already - fingers crossed :)

Thanks for looking and for the feedback. (y)

Hi Jill, reading the story behind the parking sign, that really is quite bizarre! How on earth do you manage to remember which medicine to take when with all that lot?

Hi Jill, opening your own pharmacy? both very fitting in a personal way for you obviously and so though not the most exciting pics they work for the theme

Hi Jill, wow, you've really got a lot going on at the minute, it's not surprising you don't have time for loads of commenting - I'm pretty amazed that you're managing to keep up with the challenge :clap: :clap:

Anyway, two good shots - it does sound weird that they put a limit on how long blue badge holders can park, very bizarre

And broken - as Allan says, a very personal take on the theme (y)

Hope everything works out with the house & the surgeon :)

Hi Jill, reading the story behind the parking sign, that really is quite bizarre! How on earth do you manage to remember which medicine to take when with all that lot?

Hi Elaine, I'm used to it ;) and, yes, it truly is Bizarre, only in Spain huh!

Hi Jill, opening your own pharmacy? both very fitting in a personal way for you obviously and so though not the most exciting pics they work for the theme

Thanks Allan (y)

Hi Jill, wow, you've really got a lot going on at the minute, it's not surprising you don't have time for loads of commenting - I'm pretty amazed that you're managing to keep up with the challenge :clap: :clap:

Anyway, two good shots - it does sound weird that they put a limit on how long blue badge holders can park, very bizarre

And broken - as Allan says, a very personal take on the theme (y)

Hope everything works out with the house & the surgeon :)

Hi Lorraine, back from Madrid yesterday, house is SOLD! Moving in August. Skin is ok for another 6 months and the wait for the other is about 3 months. So all good so far :) Just about to sort my pics for Entertain and Spiral, and tomorrow brings a new theme :eek:

Ha .... always love your different takes Jill ... thanks for sharing.

Well, a good time was had in Madrid and I was able to get both Entertain and Spiral pics, but now I've got to think about Silhouette :mad: No more Ssss please :sulk:

The first Entertain is a street performer in Puerta del Sol, the heart of Madrid street life. he also had a pet rat which he let me stroke (well he said it was a rat :ROFLMAO:). The second Entertain was taken in the 'posh' area of Madrid, Salamanca where all the really expensive shops are. The roundabout was set up next to some of them so the children could be indulged in between shops.

And now for Spiral. We went to the Palacio de Velasquez in Buen Retiro Parque and they had an 'installation' which included a huge spiral made out of metal on the floor. I've chosen one for this post but there are a couple more on flickr.

Back