weekly Bruja's 2016 52 - CELEBRATION

He he he - a very scary story I always thought. It's no wonder there are so many psychotics around. Lovely subtle Danger Jill - nicely thought out. :clap:

Thanks Carl. I initially came up with the idea from Adam and Eve with Eve being the temptress :naughty:. Then I thought it also fits Snow White so it's one of those pics with a couple of interpretations :)

I agree with Carl, strong image, good take on the theme.

Thanks Chris, glad you think so :)

Nice, minimalist photo that tells a story. I like it! :)

Thanks Sheylara, doesn't have to be complicated does it, although the simple shots are often the ones that tell a story best :D

Very good shot and I'm liking the white background.

I'm not sure about the positioning against the -ve space. I guess this might be one of those times following rule of two thirds isn't necessarily the best option. Personally I would have loved to see a close up of the hand and Apple to bring out all the detailed textures.

How annoying, you can tell exactly what device I posted that last comment from can't you!!

Hahaha, yes, you can :p

Thanks for the crit and there are too many detailed textures in my 60 year old hand so the less you see the better imho :(

Thanks Carl. I initially came up with the idea from Adam and Eve with Eve being the temptress :naughty:. Then I thought it also fits Snow White so it's one of those pics with a couple of interpretations :)

Thanks Chris, glad you think so :)

Saw both meanings but came down more on the Snow White because of the white background, also had the thought that it could be an apple falling - as in Issac Newton - so there's another. :)

Hi Jill, just a quick catchup from me - sorry.

Camouflage is a neat spot - the mask works really well for the theme. I'd suggest trying to play a bit more with soft natural light - a window with netting over it or something - because then you can see what effect different sized light sources have on the highlights and shadows. The only downside with where you are is you get so much sun, you might be a while waiting for an overcast day!

Dangerous is a good, clever take on the theme. Again, the same suggestion about lighting - natural light is free but can be hard to manipulate, so windows, open doorways etc. are all useful. In fact, if you draw the curtains/blinds closed in one room, an open door into a brighter room can give a lovely soft light. Have a play and see what happens when you move the subject very close to the light source (which makes the source bigger).

Thanks for the lighting advice Paul. I do use those techniques from time to time

image.jpeg

but I like the effect I created in the mask. The apple I would have preferred without the shadow though.

Hi, very biblical and clever take, fitting for the theme, I like it, one of those pics I see and think of course why didn't I think of that

Thanks Allan, glad you think so :)

Brilliant idea for dangerous Jill! I have to say I thought about Snow White before the bible, though. I like the white background, but also wondered what it might look like on black. Might it add to the sense of danger? Maybe not!

Hi Emma, thanks and glad you like it. I think it might have lost impact with a black background and am happy it's making people think of different interpretations.

Inspired choice for dangerous Jill.
Simple and very very effective.

Thanks so much :D

Great idea for the theme Jill .... I like the way you're actually 'offering' the apple not just holding it. There's quite a bit of grey around some of the hand and arm on my iPad but I like the big white space.

Thanks Susie. I tried it both ways and liked it best when I was offering it. Yeah, the grey is a shadow I couldn't get rid of cos the light is so bright here :coat:

Miniature: 2nd image for me .
Abandoned: fits the theme well on two accounts
Camouflage: possibly my favourite of yours to date. Colours well exposed. Also like the deep thinking behind the shot.

Thanks so much Mandy :)

Hey Jill

Camouflage ... nice lighting: mask & eyes.

Danger ... nice message, placement's good, but I struggle with white BGs

Danger, Very subtle you old Bruja you ;)

I like it (y)

Camouflage - I like your sentiments regarding people and camouflage and the mask, colours and lighting are superb.
Danger - Love the extended arm with the apple, the simplicity of the shot work really well.

Hadn't made the Adam & Eve connection until I read the thread but was right in there with Snow White. The danger's most definitely there but it's all implicit - very clever idea.

Jill's abandoned orange grove, Oh! whatever happened to that? It got snowed under. And now for a closer look ...

OMG what's she up to this time? Whatever ... it's a jolly interesting image. :D

:pint:

Abandoned - I thought it was the orange grove that was abandoned then I tried to work out what it was I could see and realised it was a body quite sinister well done.
Camouflage - I like your thinking behind it good sharp picture.
Danger - I like the simplicity of it and the vibrant red of the apple against the (snow)white background

Abandoned - nicely done, like others I missed the body to start with. A subtle image but with a quite powerful story.
Camouflage - A very true observation on human nature and quite a striking mask.
Dangerous - My initial thought was Snow White, it's a good take on the theme. I normally like a white background but this feels a little harsh, especially around the arm.

I initially came up with the idea from Adam and Eve with Eve being the temptress :naughty:.
And the Snake gets the blame yet again :(

Then I thought it also fits Snow White so it's one of those pics with a couple of interpretations :)
That's how I interpreted it TBH, what with you being a Bruja and all ;)

really like everything about your danger(ous) image, Excellent.

Ooh, thanks so much (y)

Camouflage - I like your sentiments regarding people and camouflage and the mask, colours and lighting are superb.
Danger - Love the extended arm with the apple, the simplicity of the shot work really well.

Hi Liz, glad you like them :)

Hadn't made the Adam & Eve connection until I read the thread but was right in there with Snow White. The danger's most definitely there but it's all implicit - very clever idea.

Thanks so much Nick (y)

Very clever Jill. Great rendition of the reds in the apple and nice white background.
:clap:

Thanks Tim (y)

Jill's abandoned orange grove, Oh! whatever happened to that? It got snowed under. And now for a closer look ...

OMG what's she up to this time? Whatever ... it's a jolly interesting image. :D

:pint:

:D:beer::beer:

Have 2 on me.....

Abandoned - I thought it was the orange grove that was abandoned then I tried to work out what it was I could see and realised it was a body quite sinister well done.
Camouflage - I like your thinking behind it good sharp picture.
Danger - I like the simplicity of it and the vibrant red of the apple against the (snow)white background

Thanks minx, glad you like them :)

Danger - Nice simple take on the theme that took me a minute to work out!

Hi Mark, glad it made you think ;)

Abandoned - nicely done, like others I missed the body to start with. A subtle image but with a quite powerful story.
Camouflage - A very true observation on human nature and quite a striking mask.
Dangerous - My initial thought was Snow White, it's a good take on the theme. I normally like a white background but this feels a little harsh, especially around the arm.

Thanks so much Steve.

The harshness is probably because I originally was going to do it high key and changed my mind....

And the Snake gets the blame yet again :(

That's how I interpreted it TBH, what with you being a Bruja and all ;)

Well we all need a snake scapegoat :p

Last edited:
Well you can't get much more topical than this excerpt from today's local paper 'La Voz de Almeria'

And topical in more ways than one :naughty: Although you might need your spanish-english dictionary, and, for those of you who have had a very sheltered life, Google :p

TOPICAL

image.jpeg

Oooo I say - I'll have to delete my browser history. Topical certainly Jill ... and colourful in many ways too ha ha. ;)

Last edited:
As DK said, love the colours and jaunty angle - the overall look is one of fun, at odds with the relatively dark subject matter.

Haven't a clue what makes it topical but as I don't habitually follow Spanish news that's not a surprise.

top·i·cal - adj. - Relating to, applied to, or affecting a localized area of the body, especially of the skin.

:thinking: morbosa

but yes nice colours and jaunty angle.

top·i·cal - adj. - Relating to, applied to, or affecting a localized area of the body, especially of the skin.

:thinking: morbosa

but yes nice colours and jaunty angle.

top·i·cal
(tŏp′ĭ-kəl)
adj.
1. Being of current interest or relevance: topical issues.

Yup morbosa and in a Catholic country too. It's in the news here a lot because of the various overseas gangs involved but it is still freely advertised - the ultimate contradiction......

Oooo I say - I'll have to delete my browser history. Topical certainly Jill ... and colourful in many ways too ha ha. ;)

As long as it's not your phone history ;)

I assure you its a term of endearment (y)

:D

Sé lo suficiente confiar en usted !

:rolleyes:

:p

Jajajajajajaj.....

I think I'll stay innocent ta ;)
Diagonal composition add to the interest and it seems well lit.
I'll leave it at that...

Cheers Tim. I still think it's astounding that something like this appears in a daily local paper in a strongly Catholic country and nobody bats an eyelid :eek:

Loving the angle Jill and the colours, no idea of the content, and having not been in long either so I can not be assed to google the wording, I'll take your word for it :D

Cheers Dean, yeah, amazing how they choose colours for their ads as if the content wasn't attention grabbing enough :confused:

As DK said, love the colours and jaunty angle - the overall look is one of fun, at odds with the relatively dark subject matter.

Haven't a clue what makes it topical but as I don't habitually follow Spanish news that's not a surprise.

Cheers Nick, yeah, they like adding colour to their adds, makes it look almost harmless doesn't it. The topicality is the rival gangs that keep the business going versus the independents.

Where can I get a subscription to that paper? <gulp>

Loads of fun, I love the colours. (y)

Cheers Brian....... Just Google La Voz de Almeria ;)

Back