weekly Bruja's 2016 52 - CELEBRATION

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I was laughing at the 'trust you!' Comment :p
OK Fairy nuff, I thought you were laughing at the term of endearment comment,
I forgive you :D

That's an interesting one, Bruja. I think it works well unlike a lot of "here's a photo of a flat sheet of paper" because of the geometry of the paper (columns, lines) and the fact it's at an angle. The bold colours also help (but aren't too in your face in terms of oversaturation). I think it's an intriguing one and the fact I can't speak Spanish and therefore don't know quite what it says (apart from general "gist") adds to it.

Good job for a tough week!

Topical - I am sure it fits the theme, but no idea what the words are. I do like the image tho, well done for getting something.

Cheers Mandy

That's an interesting one, Bruja. I think it works well unlike a lot of "here's a photo of a flat sheet of paper" because of the geometry of the paper (columns, lines) and the fact it's at an angle. The bold colours also help (but aren't too in your face in terms of oversaturation). I think it's an intriguing one and the fact I can't speak Spanish and therefore don't know quite what it says (apart from general "gist") adds to it.

Good job for a tough week!

Thanks Paul and I assure you the 'gist' is enough. A friend of mine who has lived here for many a year was in the local hotel where her son was working and was reading the paper. she looked up and asked his boss what does 'griego' mean as she didn't have a clue. She says her son's response was priceless.....

That is a terrific response to the theme Jill - like the pano view and the comp - nice clean image. :clap:

Very nice Jill!
The processing suits it down to the ground also (y)

HI Jill

Hope your feeling better.

I really like your danger - it took a minuet but it early in the morning.
Topical is very colourful and there are enough words to give you gist (y)
I like the suggestion of life happening in the living world :)

A Spanish BK looks so civilised. Great idea for the theme, I've been thinking similar. (y)

Camo - Nice contrast on the mask, but great the way it blends into the background - nicely taken :)

Dangerous - very nice and love the stark white negative space / background - well captured

Topical - Non-Spanish speaker, but can guess - love the angle and colours - despite having no idea what its about :p

The Living World - great interpretation and love the B&W / Pano presentation - great !

I really like that Jill a good take on the theme the B&W conversion works really well for me

Topical - Nice composition and colour
The Living World - Lovely shot, I love the high contrast mono

Topical - Nicely composed! I like the slant and the colours. It's a good take on the theme!

Living World - Really nice! You've made an everyday mundane scene very interesting with your pano view and b&w. It tells a story with the theme as the title of the photo. :)

Nice wide shop of what is for some a familiar scene, it all looks very sterile which comes across with the PP

The Living World.
Love that Jill....A nice alternative take on the theme that works really well.

topical - good local take on the theme the angle and colours give it more interest
Living world - interesting and different shot works well in b/w

That is a terrific response to the theme Jill - like the pano view and the comp - nice clean image. :clap:

Thanks Carl, it's the iPnone 6 again. It lets you shoot in pano :)

Very nice Jill!
The processing suits it down to the ground also (y)

Thank you kind sssssir :)

Love it. The B&W and processing work really well and there's so much to look at.

Thanks Steve (y) I saw it as a microcosm of life from the old couple on the left, to the women and children, the couple alone and the teenagers in the booths.

Good shot there Jill, no exif on flickr, was this a phone capture?
Crisp with plenty of DoF, works well in B&W and with all the lights has a kind of almost high key ish look to it

Yes it's the iPhone 6 again, it shoots in pano. The original was very RED and overwhelming..........

HI Jill

Hope your feeling better.

I really like your danger - it took a minuet but it early in the morning.
Topical is very colourful and there are enough words to give you gist (y)
I like the suggestion of life happening in the living world :)

Hi Ruth, a bit better but the eye problem is probably here to stay now :(

Thanks for your comments,I appreciate it,especially as I know how busy you are just now :hug:

A Spanish BK looks so civilised. Great idea for the theme, I've been thinking similar. (y)

Hi David, yes, this is in the shopping centre in Almeria and all the shopping centre BKs I've seen have the same aesthetic. Much more civilised :p

Glad you like it. I've seen yours and it's a big (y) from me.

Camo - Nice contrast on the mask, but great the way it blends into the background - nicely taken :)

Dangerous - very nice and love the stark white negative space / background - well captured

Topical - Non-Spanish speaker, but can guess - love the angle and colours - despite having no idea what its about :p

The Living World - great interpretation and love the B&W / Pano presentation - great !

Thanks so much, and all but Dangerous were taken with my iPhone. I can be much more clandestine :p

Nice one Jill ....each group wrapped up in their own tiny living world ....super choice in the b&w too.

Thanks Susie, I saw it as life on the spectrum from the old couple to the mums and kids to the younger couple and then the teenagers :)

I really like that Jill a good take on the theme the B&W conversion works really well for me

Thanks so much for looking and commenting, I appreciate it (y)

Love that image, nice one. Just find my eyes flitting around looking at everything - in a good way. The conversion also works well.

Thanks Dan (y)

Nice wide crop Jill, never has a BK looked so good, looks nice and expansive and well lit too, also liking the B&W treatment (y)

It's actually the pano function on my iPhone :) I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago :p

Like this one, Jill. Loads of mini stories going on there. I do like the guy on the LHS.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy (y)

Topical - Nice composition and colour
The Living World - Lovely shot, I love the high contrast mono

Glad you like them and thanks for stopping by (y)

Dangerous - A great image that provokes raw emotion, definitely dangerous.
Topical - Good take of the subject like the colours and the slanted composition
Living World - Again an imaginative and clever take on the brief. Lots going in on that photo and it works really well.

Topical - Nicely composed! I like the slant and the colours. It's a good take on the theme!

Living World - Really nice! You've made an everyday mundane scene very interesting with your pano view and b&w. It tells a story with the theme as the title of the photo. :)

Thanks Sheylara glad you like them :)

Nice wide shop of what is for some a familiar scene, it all looks very sterile which comes across with the PP

Hi Allan, yes, most of the BKs over here seem well maintained and spacious.

The Living World.
Love that Jill....A nice alternative take on the theme that works really well.

Cheers Ruth, glad you like it (y)

topical - good local take on the theme the angle and colours give it more interest
Living world - interesting and different shot works well in b/w

Thanks so much :)

Dangerous - A great image that provokes raw emotion, definitely dangerous.
Topical - Good take of the subject like the colours and the slanted composition
Living World - Again an imaginative and clever take on the brief. Lots going in on that photo and it works really well.

Thanks Steve, glad you like them :)

Hi Jill, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - both images work well for the theme, and I like the crisp details and lighting in the second one, but the first is my favourite with all those lovely colours and textures of rusty metal.
Metal - two striking images. I like the shiny details in the first, but my favourite is the chain links against that lovely blue sky (jealous!). The colours contrast beautifully!
Captive - it took a moment to work it out as the series was slightly before my time, although I know of it quite well, but a very original idea for the theme conveyed simply and effectively.
Miniature - a super tilt and shift image. I used T&S for my miniature image too and it was only when I started catching up with other threads that I realised it was quite a popular choice. Like you, I used boats in a harbour, but yours were bathing in sunshine while mine... weren't :) The effect works really well on your scene and the boats do look like models in a boating lake.
Happy - definitely a happy and contented goat, and the expression made me smile as soon as I saw it :)
Abandoned - at first I thought the subject was the row of abandoned oranges on the ground, until I saw the legs poking out from under the bush. Very creepy and fits the theme both with the partially hidden 'body' and the fallen oranges.
Camouflage - an unusual take on the theme with a good explanation. The image itself is bold and colourful; the mask draws the initial attention and then your gaze is drawn to and held by the eyes.
Danger - another unusual and well thought-out idea. A strong, well lit image and, like Susie, I like the way the hand is offering the apple and not holding it. Strong hints of both Snow White and Adam and Eve with danger lurking (y)
Topical - bold and colourful, and I like the diagonal angle. I won't be Googling for translations though :)
The Living World - super curves and light, and I like your composition and pano crop. So much to look at in this one, with all ages in their own little worlds.

I've really enjoyed your thread so far, Jill, and will be following so I don't miss it in future.

EDIT: I cross-posted with your latest additions. Definitely the pencils for me for Spiky! The natural colours and textures in the first one make for a strong image, but for me it's blown away by the bright colours and sharp points of the pencils, and you've accentuated the points by arranging them as you have. Excellent! :clap:

Last edited:
Hi jill... defo not been through your thread so here goes..... ok start to the year.. fitting images even if the lighting was undecided or images seemed flat, no worries though... LOVE miniature(s) .. tilt and shift is a fav and i don't do enough of them.. you have the vantage point it seems.. Happy... well happy (y) full of character....abandoned is like something from the Happening... eerie...the absence of blue sky was noted..shame..

Danger was a moot, but again lighting let it down... just feel that could have been more..the apple more forward and coming into the lens, the fingers curling around it..the holder shadowed.. but its how you shoot..

(y) spiky too ... GREAT image... love it..

sorry...forgot Living World.. great mono moment.. the ppl on either side and the empty table central..good one again

Hi Jill. Great idea for Living World and lovely vibrant colours. Like the frame around Spiky and I prefer that to Spiky Too because it carries more interest ... for me anyway. :clap:

Living world 2 is an interesting image, quite eye-catching. I don't mind the frame at all on spiky and you have done a pleasing job with it but I think I prefer spiky two for the different take on the theme and the colours

Hi Jill ...three excellent shots there ....they show how good the iPad/iPhone can be if used well. I love the Living World it looks like something you'd expect from the Hubble telescope ....a very eye catching shot.

Spiky ...I think the frame works well ....I used to use frames a lot ....yours makes me think I must use some again, they definitely work well with certain subjects.

Spiky #2 is just the sort of shot my grandaughter would hang on her wall ....another one that's very eye catching, I really like it.

Really like your first image for Living World a great take on the theme.

Love the pencils for spiky nice and bright a simple image that has a real eye catching impact.

Living World 2 - Definitely interesting and rather thought-provoking as I wondered what it was and what it could be (before reading your description). It’s a really good take on the theme. :)

Spiky 1 - Love it! Love the composition and colours and even the frame. It makes a really nice piece of wall art! ;) Only niggle is the green shell seems a bit out of place because of how it blurs (looks almost like motion blur, even) so it kind of distracts.

Spiky 2 - I can appreciate it for its creativity and colours but Spiky 1 wins for me. :)

Back