weekly Bruja's 2016 52 - CELEBRATION

first Spiky shot would have done for a Living World, in a perverse kind of a way. I like it a lot.

the crayons are fantastic, I always love this kind of thing. Good lighting on the white BG.

Hi Jill, Living World 2 is a very interesting shot and well done for capturing it - I don't think anybody else will be able to replicate that easily! And on an iphone (plus microscope) too :)

Spiky 1 is good especially if captured with an iPhone (wasn't sure if all were or not) - it's nicely composed and put together... it just works.

But Spiky 2 is super - as others have said, the colours, sharpness of pencils etc and arrangement just works. Really well done on that. Could do with a touch of distortion correction but ignoring that tiny point, it's a belter - well done! (y)

Living world 2 - unusual and Interesting shot.
Spiky- I like the natural tones of the first one and the frame compliments it I thought at first it was another living world shot but it certainly does fit for spiky too.
The second spiky is such a contrast to the first and with its bright colours is stronger for the theme. I like both but the first pips it for me.

Living world, great idea Jill, I had a similar idea, but the lack of a microscope buggered that up :D
Spiky, actually I do like the frame and it looks like it should be hanging somewhere too (y)

Hi Jill, it's a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - both images work well for the theme, and I like the crisp details and lighting in the second one, but the first is my favourite with all those lovely colours and textures of rusty metal.
Metal - two striking images. I like the shiny details in the first, but my favourite is the chain links against that lovely blue sky (jealous!). The colours contrast beautifully!
Captive - it took a moment to work it out as the series was slightly before my time, although I know of it quite well, but a very original idea for the theme conveyed simply and effectively.
Miniature - a super tilt and shift image. I used T&S for my miniature image too and it was only when I started catching up with other threads that I realised it was quite a popular choice. Like you, I used boats in a harbour, but yours were bathing in sunshine while mine... weren't :) The effect works really well on your scene and the boats do look like models in a boating lake.
Happy - definitely a happy and contented goat, and the expression made me smile as soon as I saw it :)
Abandoned - at first I thought the subject was the row of abandoned oranges on the ground, until I saw the legs poking out from under the bush. Very creepy and fits the theme both with the partially hidden 'body' and the fallen oranges.
Camouflage - an unusual take on the theme with a good explanation. The image itself is bold and colourful; the mask draws the initial attention and then your gaze is drawn to and held by the eyes.
Danger - another unusual and well thought-out idea. A strong, well lit image and, like Susie, I like the way the hand is offering the apple and not holding it. Strong hints of both Snow White and Adam and Eve with danger lurking (y)
Topical - bold and colourful, and I like the diagonal angle. I won't be Googling for translations though :)
The Living World - super curves and light, and I like your composition and pano crop. So much to look at in this one, with all ages in their own little worlds.

I've really enjoyed your thread so far, Jill, and will be following so I don't miss it in future.

EDIT: I cross-posted with your latest additions. Definitely the pencils for me for Spiky! The natural colours and textures in the first one make for a strong image, but for me it's blown away by the bright colours and sharp points of the pencils, and you've accentuated the points by arranging them as you have. Excellent! :clap:

Hi jill... defo not been through your thread so here goes..... ok start to the year.. fitting images even if the lighting was undecided or images seemed flat, no worries though... LOVE miniature(s) .. tilt and shift is a fav and i don't do enough of them.. you have the vantage point it seems.. Happy... well happy (y) full of character....abandoned is like something from the Happening... eerie...the absence of blue sky was noted..shame..

Danger was a moot, but again lighting let it down... just feel that could have been more..the apple more forward and coming into the lens, the fingers curling around it..the holder shadowed.. but its how you shoot..

(y) spiky too ... GREAT image... love it..

sorry...forgot Living World.. great mono moment.. the ppl on either side and the empty table central..good one again

Wow Jill.
The Living world shot is an excellent idea and a very interesting image.
Of the two spiky shots, #2 for me. I love the mix of bright colours and how you've avoided getting shadows.
(y)

I love your living world shot - the curves on floor and ceiling really lead us through the image - perfect subject for b&w. I like the arrangements for both your spiky shots, too.

Hi Jill. Great idea for Living World and lovely vibrant colours. Like the frame around Spiky and I prefer that to Spiky Too because it carries more interest ... for me anyway. :clap:

Living world 2 is an interesting image, quite eye-catching. I don't mind the frame at all on spiky and you have done a pleasing job with it but I think I prefer spiky two for the different take on the theme and the colours

Hi Jill ...three excellent shots there ....they show how good the iPad/iPhone can be if used well. I love the Living World it looks like something you'd expect from the Hubble telescope ....a very eye catching shot.

Spiky ...I think the frame works well ....I used to use frames a lot ....yours makes me think I must use some again, they definitely work well with certain subjects.

Spiky #2 is just the sort of shot my grandaughter would hang on her wall ....another one that's very eye catching, I really like it.

Really like your first image for Living World a great take on the theme.

Love the pencils for spiky nice and bright a simple image that has a real eye catching impact.

Living World 2 - Definitely interesting and rather thought-provoking as I wondered what it was and what it could be (before reading your description). It’s a really good take on the theme. :)

Spiky 1 - Love it! Love the composition and colours and even the frame. It makes a really nice piece of wall art! ;) Only niggle is the green shell seems a bit out of place because of how it blurs (looks almost like motion blur, even) so it kind of distracts.

Spiky 2 - I can appreciate it for its creativity and colours but Spiky 1 wins for me. :)

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and critique. I really appreciate it

Living world 2 is a beauty - really like it :)

I also really like the border (and whole image) of Spiky although I do prefer Spiky too!

first Spiky shot would have done for a Living World, in a perverse kind of a way. I like it a lot.

the crayons are fantastic, I always love this kind of thing. Good lighting on the white BG.

Nice Jill, love the setup with the starfish and shells, I must say the pencils work well with the bright colours and the wavy line of tips, but the subtle colours of the seaside bits along with the nice crop/frame ticks all the right boxes (y)

Hi Jill, Living World 2 is a very interesting shot and well done for capturing it - I don't think anybody else will be able to replicate that easily! And on an iphone (plus microscope) too :)

Spiky 1 is good especially if captured with an iPhone (wasn't sure if all were or not) - it's nicely composed and put together... it just works.

But Spiky 2 is super - as others have said, the colours, sharpness of pencils etc and arrangement just works. Really well done on that. Could do with a touch of distortion correction but ignoring that tiny point, it's a belter - well done! (y)

Living world 2 - unusual and Interesting shot.
Spiky- I like the natural tones of the first one and the frame compliments it I thought at first it was another living world shot but it certainly does fit for spiky too.
The second spiky is such a contrast to the first and with its bright colours is stronger for the theme. I like both but the first pips it for me.

Living world, great idea Jill, I had a similar idea, but the lack of a microscope buggered that up :D
Spiky, actually I do like the frame and it looks like it should be hanging somewhere too (y)

Thanks everyone for your comments and likes and @Cobra that would make it difficult :p

The Living World - great idea with the panoramic view, make you realise that everywhere there is lots going on around you. Loving both Spiky images, prefer the second. Good idea and colours.

Hi Jill artificial this isn't up to your usual standards I'm afraid, it's on theme but seems that the white balance is slightly off and the background spoils it little for me.

cheers

Hi Jill artificial this isn't up to your usual standards I'm afraid, it's on theme but seems that the white balance is slightly off and the background spoils it little for me.

cheers

I agree entirely but it was that or nothing I'm afraid. I'm hanging in by the skin of my teeth at the moment :( Definitely a one for the next Re-Shoot :p

It took me just a few seconds to decide that I was looking at real fruit with the one exception of the orange at the front - fooled me ... doesn't take a lot mind you. Good on you Jill - one up on me. :)

Hi first shot of the shells is great nice composition and colours, can't fault it

Artificial, they don't look very appealing do they, it has a few issues but then you already know that

hope you are feeling better soon :)

Last edited:
Hi Jill, it's a decent shot but I think the only thing that jumps out as detracting is the very white background/wall. I reckon a darker background (not black, just off-white, e.g. light grey or magnolia) could have worked.

Sometimes it's not much that's required to change an "ok" image into a good one - and my gut tells me that's the case here. Not meaning to be negative, as I think it could be tweaked :)

Good image for Artificial.

As other have said there a re a few issues with it but at least you've got one on the board and as you have said maybe one to revisit.

I hope your feeling better soon

They are plastic :p..........
I spotted that, do people not know what real fruit looks like? :D

Nice pair Pear there Jill (y)

:D

A lovely colourful mix of shapes and colours, and at first glance it does look like real fruit! I'm not going to repeat the comments above about WB as I don't feel well enough qualified anyway and you're doing well to stick at it and keep up to date. I'm a couple of themes behind at the moment so you're doing much better than me :) and as a subject for this theme it's perfect. Keep going (y)

nice enough to eat. :D

Hahahah, thanks David (y)

They look so real. Like the low angle but not sure about the line (worktop and wall?) across the background.

Thanks Stan, and thanks for dropping by. I appreciate it (y)

Hi first shot of the shells is great nice composition and colours, can't fault it

Artificial, they don't look very appealing do they, it has a few issues but then you already know that

hope you are feeling better soon :)

Thanks Allan. I think the shells pic is going on the wall :) If I got one, or maybe two, worth printing out during this challenge I'm happy :p

For some reason ( maybe it's all the Spaniards I kiss :D) I've had cold after cold which has caused the first relapse in many a year so spending time commenting, or doing anything else that needs concentration just floors me :(

Hi Jill, it's a decent shot but I think the only thing that jumps out as detracting is the very white background/wall. I reckon a darker background (not black, just off-white, e.g. light grey or magnolia) could have worked.

Sometimes it's not much that's required to change an "ok" image into a good one - and my gut tells me that's the case here. Not meaning to be negative, as I think it could be tweaked :)

Thanks Paul, I'll definitely revisit this one soon as I can raise the energy (y)

Good image for Artificial.

As other have said there a re a few issues with it but at least you've got one on the board and as you have said maybe one to revisit.

I hope your feeling better soon

Thanks Mark and for taking the time to comment when I haven't looked at anyone elses for the last month (y)

I spotted that, do people not know what real fruit looks like? :D

Nice pair Pear there Jill (y)

:D

They are a nice pair of pears aren't they :p

A lovely colourful mix of shapes and colours, and at first glance it does look like real fruit! I'm not going to repeat the comments above about WB as I don't feel well enough qualified anyway and you're doing well to stick at it and keep up to date. I'm a couple of themes behind at the moment so you're doing much better than me :) and as a subject for this theme it's perfect. Keep going (y)

Thanks Andrea and thanks for the support, I really appreciate it :hug:

Over all I like the shot Jill. I seem to be in a "less is more" mode this year :LOL:

Hope you feel improved soon :hug:

I'm shocked, I tell ya....Shocked!!! :runaway:

Great for the theme Jill, and nicely done too :)

(I'm surprised at the apparent lack of "body parts" for this theme thb!

Last edited:
The mind boggles ... as well as the imagination. A mystifying and teasing image Jill - excellent and fun concept for the theme. :clap:

Very well done and top marks for bravery, got to be this week's winner.

Back