weekly Bruja's 2016 52 - CELEBRATION

Took me a seconded viewing to see it too very creative if a little creep I like the oranges on the ground giving the lead in

I missed the body first time I viewed but the oranges do lead nicely towards it. A good take on the subject.

Thanks, and I hoped it would be hard to see :p

Like it. You needed a lie down from the sounds of it.

Gaz

I did but not on cold, well irrigated and stoney soil :eek: Needed a shower when I got back home and a :beer:

Hi, saw this on a phone and it wasn't till I saw it on the computer I noticed the body, its quite sinister, I like it (y)

Hi Alan, glad you think it's sinister, that was my intention :eek:

That's a brave one Jill ....and one I'm absolutely certain it will be unique for the topic. Great choice of setting in among the orange trees, well done.

Thanks Susie and not so much brave as mad! I got the idea in my head when he who must not be named announced the theme and then I couldn't get it out again so just had to wait until I felt able to do it. I thought people might just glance at it and think 'oh, an abandoned orange grove' amd then spot the body.

Nice image for the Abandoned, plenty of colour and the body is clever idea

Thanks very much (y)

I didn't see it at first, viewing on a small screen! You certainly went to some effort for this one and it works. I like the colours and idea for the shot.

Originally, I thought I'd prefer a tighter crop but then to be honest, I think that might be a little too obvious! Good effort :)

Thanks Ian, I tried to make it subtle so you would have to look hard (ish) to see why it fit.

Took me a seconded viewing to see it too very creative if a little creep I like the oranges on the ground giving the lead in

Thanks for dropping by and glad you like it (y)

I must be smug and admit that I did "get it" immediately
Brave move Ma'am, pink knickers too (y)

Very well thought out and dare I say, Executed?
:D

Last edited:
I must be smug and admit that I did "get it" immediately
Brave move Ma'am, pink knickers too (y)

Very well thought out and dare I say, Executed?
:D

You may say well executed, I guess that's a level up from nice :p

Abandoned: really like that idea, great story telling and execution.

Thanks Jason, I wanted it to raise speculation about what had happened (y)

I too missed it on a smaller screen.
Love it Jill.

I too missed it on a smaller screen.
Love it Jill.

Thanks Ruth. Took me ages to get back up again tho o_O

Happy - sunbathing smiling goat - winner :D

Abandoned - oh my! how dark is that with the body under the trees ?!! love it ;)

Hi Jon and thanks for stopping by and commenting. Well it's not that often you get to see s sunbathing goat or two ;)

And Abandoned seems to have created the mood I wanted so :banana:

Camouflage is something we do all day, every day. We are very good at hiding (so we think) our feelings and opinions about someone or something. Irving Goffman said we are all actors on a stage when we are with others. We try to fit in, we play the fool, we are the 'know-it-all', we may just be the person in the corner who watches eveything but says nothing, we are the bullies or the oppressed........

Look around you in a cafe, a library, a bar, a restaurant. We can often read some of what is going on without hearing the conversation. My favourite used to be looking at couples and saying they aren't married (at least not to each other), they are definitely married, oooh, he's in trouble just look at her face.....

Socially and in the workplace we are taught to hide how we really feel. We have to hide our feelings behind a mask.

Last edited:
Hey Jill :)

Abandoned - OMFG !!! - I sometimes worry about you, and this certainly backs that up :D

A real good idea though, nice composition and i like that the body is partially hidden... very creative (y)

Camouflaged - A nice bright mask and a good reasoning for it too, I like that you got some catch-lights in your eyes, a nice idea for the theme :)

Hi Jill
I like your camouflaged image, and the reasoning behind it.
You're right, there are people who hide in plain sight every day because they feel they're expected to.

Hi, very good idea and well thought out very true and perfect for the theme

Abandoned, you've just take the mantle of the best submission yet. I'd have been tempted to get in closer and this, IMO, would have produced an inferior photograph. It has a real crime scene feel to it and the splash of red works really well :)

Camouflage, another belter. I'd agree we all wear masks, different masks for different situations.

Two great submissions....bow you gotta maintain this standard :)

Cheers.

Blimey, I didn't see the body on first viewing (I'll blame the 14" screen on the laptop). I sis notice the skies and was going to comment until I saw your text.
I love the way you've positioned the oranges to draw your eye along the path.

Spot on with the narrative Jill - couyldn't agree more. I love people watching to try and fathom out their true selves - quite convinced that body language belies the façade we put up. As for the pic, spot on for the theme of course. Love the design and colours of that mask. nice take. :clap:

Thought provoking take on the theme Jill, nicely done

Thanks Chris (y)

Hey Jill :)

Abandoned - OMFG !!! - I sometimes worry about you, and this certainly backs that up :D

A real good idea though, nice composition and i like that the body is partially hidden... very creative (y)

Camouflaged - A nice bright mask and a good reasoning for it too, I like that you got some catch-lights in your eyes, a nice idea for the theme :)

I would worry about me :runaway: but I don't care :naughty:. Forgot to say that the Camouflage pic was another iPhone one.

Hi Jill
I like your camouflaged image, and the reasoning behind it.
You're right, there are people who hide in plain sight every day because they feel they're expected to.

Thanks Ruth, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, it depends where I am and who I'm with :)

Hi, very good idea and well thought out very true and perfect for the theme

Thanks Allan (y)

Abandoned, you've just take the mantle of the best submission yet. I'd have been tempted to get in closer and this, IMO, would have produced an inferior photograph. It has a real crime scene feel to it and the splash of red works really well :)

Camouflage, another belter. I'd agree we all wear masks, different masks for different situations.

Two great submissions....bow you gotta maintain this standard :)

Cheers.

Wow, praise indeed Andy ;). Yeah, I always saw it in my head as just a glimpse of the body in the wider landscape. Closer would have been just tooo obvious and for once I wanted to do subtle :p

I ain't got no standards :) :naughty: :whistle:

Blimey, I didn't see the body on first viewing (I'll blame the 14" screen on the laptop). I sis notice the skies and was going to comment until I saw your text.
I love the way you've positioned the oranges to draw your eye along the path.

Cheers Tim and I can't take the credit for the oranges as they positioned themselves there. I did move a ruddy big stone from the lhs though as it was a big distraction.

Really like your write up on this one Jill ....very true, and an aspect I've written about a lot myself. It certainly gives your choice for Camouflage that extra meaning. Super shot too, love that very direct stare.

Thanks Susie (y)

Spot on with the narrative Jill - couyldn't agree more. I love people watching to try and fathom out their true selves - quite convinced that body language belies the façade we put up. As for the pic, spot on for the theme of course. Love the design and colours of that mask. nice take. :clap:

Thanks Carl. People watching is a great hobby, until you are spotted that is :eek:. Glad you like the pic. Last weekend was Carnaval in Spain so lots of disguises/fancy dress around in the shops.

Camouflage, clever idea Jill,
and a very interesting "look" at human nature too (y)

Personally I think people that people watch are just nosey though :p

He he he - a very scary story I always thought. It's no wonder there are so many psychotics around. Lovely subtle Danger Jill - nicely thought out. :clap:

Last edited:
Very good shot and I'm liking the white background.

I'm not sure about the positioning against the -ve space. I guess this might be one of those times following rule of two thirds isn't necessarily the best option. Personally I would have loved to see a close up of the hand and Apple to bring out all the detailed textures.

Hi Jill, just a quick catchup from me - sorry.

Camouflage is a neat spot - the mask works really well for the theme. I'd suggest trying to play a bit more with soft natural light - a window with netting over it or something - because then you can see what effect different sized light sources have on the highlights and shadows. The only downside with where you are is you get so much sun, you might be a while waiting for an overcast day!

Dangerous is a good, clever take on the theme. Again, the same suggestion about lighting - natural light is free but can be hard to manipulate, so windows, open doorways etc. are all useful. In fact, if you draw the curtains/blinds closed in one room, an open door into a brighter room can give a lovely soft light. Have a play and see what happens when you move the subject very close to the light source (which makes the source bigger).

Hi, very biblical and clever take, fitting for the theme, I like it, one of those pics I see and think of course why didn't I think of that

Brilliant idea for dangerous Jill! I have to say I thought about Snow White before the bible, though. I like the white background, but also wondered what it might look like on black. Might it add to the sense of danger? Maybe not!

Inspired choice for dangerous Jill.
Simple and very very effective.

Miniature: 2nd image for me .
Abandoned: fits the theme well on two accounts
Camouflage: possibly my favourite of yours to date. Colours well exposed. Also like the deep thinking behind the shot.

Back