weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

I really enjoy this, seems like a great way to get motivated to actually create art by setting tasks! Great idea.

I really enjoy this, seems like a great way to get motivated to actually create art by setting tasks! Great idea.
It is a great motivator not only to get out with the camera but equally importantly to think more about the shot. You should join in - great company ....... and free advice ha ha.

Week 26 - Animal (This is my cast iron doorstop)

i423d5.jpg

Last edited:
Week 27 - Medicine

Lavender oil is believed to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which can be used to help heal minor burns and bug bites. The herb is also highly regarded for skin and beauty and is commonly used in fragrances and shampoos to help wash and purify the skin. (Model: My beautiful daughter Jenna).

qsuj3o.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Carl, I hope you accept this in the spirit in which it is given, it is my honest opinion and meant in a constructive way.

I find this a bit awkward as an image, besides the unusual crop the light is very harsh and I don't like not being able to see her eyes. There's no way I would claim to have all the answers but some form of scrim to diffuse the light on her skin and a reflector to fill the shadows perhaps? Remove the sunglasses or add a local adjustment to show her eyes at least? and a more natural pose/balanced composition would all go a long way to improving this I think.

Sorry if I have come across as a know it all (I'm not).

B.

Hi Carl, I hope you accept this in the spirit in which it is given, it is my honest opinion and meant in a constructive way.

I find this a bit awkward as an image, besides the unusual crop the light is very harsh and I don't like not being able to see her eyes. There's no way I would claim to have all the answers but some form of scrim to diffuse the light on her skin and a reflector to fill the shadows perhaps? Remove the sunglasses or add a local adjustment to show her eyes at least? and a more natural pose/balanced composition would all go a long way to improving this I think.

Sorry if I have come across as a know it all (I'm not).

B.
Not at all Brian - all taken as valued critique. Portraiture is not my favourite subject and particularly not in such harsh sunlight. I wouldn't know a scrim if one jumped up and bit me on the nose but reflectors I have ... sadly too lazy to ever use them. Maybe a subject for the next available re-shoot. Thank you for your honesty ...much appreciated (best way by far).

Hi Carl, not sure of the "animal" shot it's all a little crammed in if you see what I mean

"medical" nice idea using the lavender but I agree with "know it all" @Brian_of_Bozeat :ROFLMAO:

the light is very harsh, can't offer any advice as I don't do portraits either

Thanks Allan - Yes, I understand what you mean. It fills the frame but has no context as it has no relative placement (this sounds like gibberish but I think I know what you mean anyway).

Last edited:
Hi Carl,
I can't offer any advice on portraiture either, but I do like the use of the shallow D0F and I think the colours are great.
I don't have any problem with the sunglasses either, I assumed that was the look you were going for.

I like the Animal shot. I like the closeness and the fact that there is detail throughout the shot so it very well exposed.

For the reasons already mentioned, I'm not overly keen on the execution of the Medicine shot; also the point of focus is not on the model's face but slightly back from that.

Medical ... I don't find it "awkward" but I'm not viewing it as serious portraiture, just a smiling girl amongst the lavender. There is something slightly challenging about the point of focus: she's in focus and so too is some lavender behind her; think I'd rather the FG was sharp. Good idea for the theme.

Hi Carl,
I can't offer any advice on portraiture either, but I do like the use of the shallow D0F and I think the colours are great.
I don't have any problem with the sunglasses either, I assumed that was the look you were going for.
Thanks Tim. She'd be squinting in the harsh sunlight but for the sunglasses so not much choice really without benefit of the fullest photographic regalia. It was really all about the colour.

I like the Animal shot. I like the closeness and the fact that there is detail throughout the shot so it very well exposed.

For the reasons already mentioned, I'm not overly keen on the execution of the Medicine shot; also the point of focus is not on the model's face but slightly back from that.
Thanks Martin. I think from closer inspection, you are right about the focal point. Ho Hum.

Medical ... I don't find it "awkward" but I'm not viewing it as serious portraiture, just a smiling girl amongst the lavender. There is something slightly challenging about the point of focus: she's in focus and so too is some lavender behind her; think I'd rather the FG was sharp. Good idea for the theme.
Thanks David. It was an off the cuff shot - not posed and certainly not set-up., just as it came really. Must try harder though.

Hi, I like the glasses, but then I'm a big Audrey Hepburn fan :)

Crit, harsh light is the main one for me, central placement is an unusual move and I think on a third would feel better for me.

On the plus side, I like how the lavender frames Jenna and they are a wonderful colour. Nice shallow DOF as well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Yes, I think you are right - couldn't do much about the harsh light but certainly placement could have been better. We all came back on a high from lavender.

Crit, harsh light is the main one for me, central placement is an unusual move and I think on a third would feel better for me.

Thanks Andy. I think you're right. Couldn't do a lot about the harsh light but could have improved the positioning. Never mind, we all came back on a high after sniffing all that lavender ha ha.

Thanks Andy. I think you're right. Couldn't do a lot about the harsh light but could have improved the positioning. Never mind, we all came back on a high after sniffing all that lavender ha ha.

Not sure what gear you have, but I bought one of these that contains a diffuser, if you have some off camera flash you'd nail it.

Cheers.

Not sure what gear you have, but I bought one of these that contains a diffuser, if you have some off camera flash you'd nail it.

Cheers.
Google scrim.

Thanks guys - really helpful. Will have to get one of those diffuser/reflector sets - they look to be relatively inexpensive and having Googled and found this:

https://fstoppers.com/education/scrim-it-and-light-it-how-photograph-hard-direct-sunlight-58570

.... can understand how to handle harsh light. Very interesting. Thanks again.

Google scrim.

Thanks guys - really helpful. Will have to get one of those diffuser/reflector sets - they look to be relatively inexpensive and having Googled and found this:

https://fstoppers.com/education/scrim-it-and-light-it-how-photograph-hard-direct-sunlight-58570

.... can understand how to handle harsh light. Very interesting. Thanks again.

I'm not sure how much those taking part are learning from taking part, and it's great when someone learns something new :clap:

Cheers and let us know how it goes.

Week 28 - Proverb (A bit of fun just to kick things off for this week's theme - a couple of photographs merged in PS with doodled graffiti).

2mhhs76.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Carl, I've not been around for a couple of weeks and you've been busy so it's another catch-up from me :)

Your mouth re-shoot is clever and a compelling image that grabs your attention, and I like your Scrabble shot for Alphabet. I think the DOF is fine, giving a player's eye view and putting the attention on the pieces in the foreground. Not sure about the angle/crop at the very bottom - maybe slightly severe? - but I had a similar dilemma with mine for this theme and yours still works well. I'm no expert on people photography so my only feedback on your image for Medicine is that it's an unusual choice of subject and I love the colours and use of DOF. I bet the scent was fantastic too! (y)

Oh, very clever with the root picture. Personally I think religion is the root of all evil so give me money every time and I can be evil, but also very rich.

Hi Carl, I've not been around for a couple of weeks and you've been busy so it's another catch-up from me :)

Your mouth re-shoot is clever and a compelling image that grabs your attention, and I like your Scrabble shot for Alphabet. I think the DOF is fine, giving a player's eye view and putting the attention on the pieces in the foreground. Not sure about the angle/crop at the very bottom - maybe slightly severe? - but I had a similar dilemma with mine for this theme and yours still works well. I'm no expert on people photography so my only feedback on your image for Medicine is that it's an unusual choice of subject and I love the colours and use of DOF. I bet the scent was fantastic too! (y)
Thank you Andrea. The scent was over-powering - we all came returned from the lavender field totally chilled out ha ha.

Oh, very clever with the root picture. Personally I think religion is the root of all evil so give me money every time and I can be evil, but also very rich.
Thanks Martin. Know what you mean - if not evil, religion is certainly controlling.

Last edited:
Like how you put the lettering in, I need to learn post processing. Especially like that the lettering is transparent and you can see the texture of the floor underneath.

Couple of clever Proverb pics Carl (y)

Something odd about the coins in #1 :thinking:

The "Things" coloured, dancing fonts in #2 ... very well done. (y)

Last edited:
Like how you put the lettering in, I need to learn post processing. Especially like that the lettering is transparent and you can see the texture of the floor underneath.
Thanks Samuel. I do like mixing photography with sketching/painting and love PS because it allows me to do that.

Hehe, very good Carl. That tells the story well in my view.
Thanks Tim. The theme conjured up so many options but wanted one that was obvious without losing anything by having to explain.

Couple of clever Proverb pics Carl (y)

Something odd about the coins in #1 :thinking:

The "Things" coloured, dancing fonts in #2 ... very well done. (y)
Thank you David. Good observation - the coins are odd for two reasons (i) they are taken from under a glass surface and (ii) it is three copies of a collection of the same image of the coins .... (if you think wifey gives me that big a monthly allowance from my wages, think again!)

Hi Carl

I have been meaning to catch up on your thread for a long while, but with so many entries so quickly I guess I kept putting it off as I try to comment on all and I have just not had the time..... So a quick round up of my favorite shots so far... and then I hope to keep up to date

Machine - Just love the angle, colours and detail in this shot, I just couldn't criticize it when you first posted this one up (y)

Broken - Such well positioned in the shot, great details and I really like the B&W you presented it in :)

Bold - Just love the rich colour of this one, and again great lighting, the subject is tightly cropped in the frame but it works

Elegant - love the detail in this one and the good background and reflections, would have liked to see the whole reflection to top it off (y)

Entertain - Another wonderfully bright image, really like the close in aspect of this, not dead certain the chosen focus point is the best option but it still works :)

Re-shoot Mouth - Nicely put together this one, a very different take on the theme too (y)

I am really liking your images so far this year and your contribution to the 52, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with now that you are up to date :)

Hi Carl

I have been meaning to catch up on your thread for a long while, but with so many entries so quickly I guess I kept putting it off as I try to comment on all and I have just not had the time..... So a quick round up of my favorite shots so far... and then I hope to keep up to date

Machine - Just love the angle, colours and detail in this shot, I just couldn't criticize it when you first posted this one up (y)

Broken - Such well positioned in the shot, great details and I really like the B&W you presented it in :)

Bold - Just love the rich colour of this one, and again great lighting, the subject is tightly cropped in the frame but it works

Elegant - love the detail in this one and the good background and reflections, would have liked to see the whole reflection to top it off (y)

Entertain - Another wonderfully bright image, really like the close in aspect of this, not dead certain the chosen focus point is the best option but it still works :)

Re-shoot Mouth - Nicely put together this one, a very different take on the theme too (y)

I am really liking your images so far this year and your contribution to the 52, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with now that you are up to date :)
Thank you Dark Night - Phew! it's been a challenge but recovered the backlog and now up to date at last. Appreciate your very encouraging words.

Hi, Carl Proverb #2 for me. I'd prefer the text not to be translucent, but it's well composed, good, lighting and nice detail.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Couldn't make up my mind whether the proverb related to "it" or "things" "carpet" or "rug" but what the heck.

Two clever images for Proverbs, Carl :) My favourite is the second one - really well composed and lit, and I like the translucent letters (y)
Thanks Andrea. Played around and undecided for a while before opting for the translucent letters. Great fun.

Hi Carl, not keen on the first proverb far to much grey BG, but its good to have a play in PS sometimes
second one much better, nice idea with the lettering

Hi Carl,

You've made a cracking start considering you only found out about it in late May. Please excuse the fact I haven't commented on them all.

Bizarre: Good play on words and great mono shot too. Only one tiny niggle from me - the top of the hopper (top right) has been clipped a touch.
Alphabet: Again, a really nice mono shot that is spot on theme.
Machine: Beautiful detail in this shot. Very nice :clap:
Broken: Good fit for the theme but doesn't really grab me for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on - sorry.
Vertical: Chaldon Church is just around the corner from me and I have taken countless photos of it but none are as good as this. Fantastic shot :) I prefer the edit with extra sky.
Crowd: I'm not usually a fan of selective colour but this really works. Great angle and like the shadows too.
Bold: Nice shot. Good lighting and control on the reflections
Watery: Good spot. Well composed shot. I like :)
Limit: The tight crop works well. I like the mono presentation too.
Close up: Works for me but the fluff is a bit of a distraction for me. Again, the mono makes for a grew looking shot.
Entertain: I like the concept of this shot. The seems to be a bit of distortion in the top corners of the shot maybe?
Experiment: I really like this shot. The watery reflections do look a bit odd but it is a fantastic image nonetheless :)
Re-shoot - Mouth: This shot works very well for me. Great artwork and it has a real strength about it.
Proverb: Both are very clever. I have no idea how you put these shots together but they both work well.

Cheers, Lee

#2 is super, a great idea well executed. I especially like how attractive the transparent lettering is, leading the eye to the message. Bravo!

B. :cow:

Thank you Allan, Lee & Brian for dropping by and for your valued comments. Roll on Friday for the next challenge eh!

Back