weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

I'm back again ...

Crowd .... as I say, I really like this shot, but when I first saw it I though oh yeah that's staged. @69Bonni says "regimented": good description ... I'm now thinking Abbey Road crossing. Anyway, staged or not, I do like it. I'm looking for uses for my new wide angle lens and I'm wondering if that's what's needed to capture something like this!

Vertical .... lovely, unusual church with a vertical. Your edit is a def improvement.

Household ... a cheese-grater eh! I would have got it if I had one that shape.

Bold ... looks good, nice detail.

Watery ... a weird one, and I like the fag-ends/rubbish inc. And the way it fits the frame is nice.

Hi Carl,

more great shots from you,

Household - nice quirky pov, a bit different
Bold - now that I really like, cracking shot
Watery - nice fit for the them, and well spotted (y)

Hi Carl.
Household was the shot that really drew me in, I was totally puzzled by what it was. I'm glad someone gave the game away.
I really like the processing on Vertical. The extra sky in the second version adds to an already good shot.
The colours in Machine are very crisp (y)
and I don't know what it is, but something draws me to Watery too.
An excellent selection of shots there.

Week 3 - Scenic

1z64o79.jpg

David - what can I say, you'll always receive a warm welcome. The walkers in Crowd were London commuters so not staged in any way - just focused on the floor and took a shot as people passed through the frame. I had my 18-200 lens that day so not particularly wide. Yes, Watery is a warts and all shot - may try a bit of cloning out but that may make it look too clinical for it's environment.:confused:

Lorraine & Tim - thanks as always for your encouraging comments.

Week 20 - Limit (Time - Making every second count)

t6ught.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Carl, you certainly like a challenge don't you, starting the 52's in May! Speaking as someone who panics about getting more than a couple of weeks behind, I think you've done a fantastic job so far.

Shots that really stand out for me -
Alphabet - love the Dof with the really sharp focus on the H and the lighting is spot on with just enough sheen and reflection on the keys.
Broken - smashing shot! I would have tried them the other way round with the taller one closer to the LH edge, but I'm not sure whether that would have messed up the shadows, which really add to the overall shot.
Crowd - a really original and quirky angle with great use of selective colour on the Union Jack T-shirt.
Bold - lovely colour and detail in the polished metal.
Scenic - very scenic - a really beautiful shot.

Good luck with the rest of the challenge - hope you keep up the good work:clap:

Hello to a fellow 'catcher-upper' :) I've enjoyed looking back through your thread and you've added a lot of really strong images already.

My favourites so far:
Machine - really catches the eye with the gleaming oily metal and diagonal angle
Broken - really like the strong shadows and contrast, bringing out the detail in the chairs
Crowd - the angle adds to the sense of chaos among fast moving people, and although I don't usually like selective colour it works well here
Scenic - just a lovely scene with a perfect reflection

I'll be following your thread and looking forward to seeing more :)

Thank you both so much - appreciate your nice comments. Looking forward to singing from the same hymn sheet in this challenge - must be a little irritating to see offerings from so many weeks back but it has to be done. Plenty of practice for me and it sure is getting me thinking and out and about a bit than usual. Good luck to you both. I'll be watching out for yours too Andrea.

Thank you Andrea. I can't take credit in any way for the set-up - that goes to my 8 year old granddaughter who brought along her wooden artists model. She made the pose and placed the feathers ... not quite sure of the significance either ha ha

Week 15 - Sound

1zyvpk0.jpg

Even without it's rotors turning, the powerful engine of this air ambulance caused quite a stir.

Gonna have to pick my favourite as time is against me.

Relax has to for me. Has an Escher feel to it which I like. Like the perspective, but I might have removed the left hand.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Critique always welcomed. Had to look up Escher - so learning extended beyond simply photography ha ha.

Hi, first of all welcome sorry I have not looked in sooner been a bit awol recently, some nice pics in there will try to keep up from now on

Thanks Allan - no problem. I'm probably wearying everyone with the barrage of catch up posts so understand totally.

Week - 23 - Entertain (playing an old fashioned board game)

2mewgb7.jpg

Hi, Spiral, it's amazing how many spirals are in nature :). It's a little busy and I feel having just the one shell would make me concentrate more on it.

Entertain, fills the frame and vivid colours; I'd like to have them all in focus.

Heat, wish I could make my own curries...but the local delivers and they a soon nice :) It's on theme but it's lacking something......I might like to just have the chilli in the photograph.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I may try out some of those refinements or even re-shoot. Know exactly what you mean about Heat in particular - needs a main point of interest as all the elements have equal status at the mo.

crikey you've done loads :eek:

my fave so far is crowds, a brilliant pic, ticks all my boxes, the selective colour, subject, angle, perspective, all of it makes a lovely shot

watery, I love this one also but it looks like the ripples are 'enhanced' - nothing wrong with doing that and it's hard to see, and really 'makes' the shot ;clap:

scenic - beautiful, I almost feel as if I'm there :)

companions, well shot, altho I would crop down a bit to make the couple more of the focus, maybe to the top of the door?

relax is another good shot - is that you painting? I'd love to be able to paint :)

pattern fits the theme but doesn't really stand out for me (not compared to your other stuff :) )

fragile, limit, close-up, sound, heat all good shots which fit the theme

I will single out figures as I think it is an excellent shot - I love the contrast between the artist's figure and the art figure :clap:

finally entertain - it feels a bit cramped to me, maybe widen the crop a bit?

you have done brilliantly to catch up so quick, puts me to shame and I've had weeks to do mine :D

Hi Carl - wow, you've had a busy week!

Scenic - lovely shot - is it Scotney Castle?

Companions - another nice (Scotney?) shot, but I think it may have worked better with a tighter crop - it is a lovely building though

Relax - a great way to relax, so well on theme for me.

Patterns - it fits the theme. I think it might work a bit better if you cropped a bit further in on the rhs (but then again, I'd have probably forgotten to do it :oops: :$)

Elegant - a nice simple shot, very effective having the white feather against the black background

Limit, close up, spiral & sound - all nice fits for the theme,

Figures - great composition!

Entertain - I'm not sure about this one. - sorry. I get that they're playing pieces, but the game doesn't really come through - is it a board gae? Maybe if you'd included a part of the board itt would have tied it to the theme (or maybe I just need things spelled out for me ;))

Heat - a good fit for the theme, you've cropped it very tight at the bottom, I'd have liked to see just a little more of the foreground I think

:)

Thank you both, Summer & Lorraine. Trying to catch up all the missed weeks - only 5 behind now .... but struggling with those.

Watery - I did enhance the ripples, the water didn't look particularly convincing without.
Scenic & Companions - Are from a day out at Scotney Castle in Kent. I think you are both right in commenting about crop. The entrance, the tree and the couple are all competing for top billing so a bit confused.
Relax - Sketching and Painting are my other pastimes -does help me relax.
Patterns - It is a bit boring so maybe a re-shoot called for.
Entertain - both good points. I've disassociated the subjects from their environment so a re-shoot again methinks.

Thanks again for dropping by and, as always, your helpful comments.

Hi Carl, great catch up going on with some nice shots, for me the stand out shots are Limit and Close-up. Both are well lit with nice lighting. You are interpreting the themes well (y)

Now for the constructive:
Heat - not sure about this, there seems a lot going on, maybe just keeping it simple with the chills on the book maybe. Actually I thin kit maybe that the Paprika box is a bit battered :)
Entertain - I see what you were trying to do. Possibly using the board as a base and having fewer pieces.

Well done so far and I look forward to seeing the rest :D

Thank you Chris - I quite agree with your CC's. A couple of re-shoots I think. Still a few behind but the challenge is a great motivator.

Week 16 - Experiment (Water Colours) - Playing around in Photoshop

2e1enol.jpg

Thanks for your cc's Stan. Totally agree - a couple of re-shoots needed to sort.

Hi Carl,

Welcome to the challenge. You've certainly made a brilliant start to catching up in the short time you've been on the forum.
Right down to business. Knew I wouldn't have time to comment here last night
Bizarre: Takes me back to my childhood in my grans kitchen. hers was a painted green well where the paint was left on and like a mother member I spent many a day playing with turning the mincer. Even better when she put meat in for me to mince. Good bit of detail, nice and sharp.
Alphabet: Lovely mono image
Machine: Glad you put me out of my misery before I had to ask what it was. Some lovely strong colours and a well defined image
Broken, vertical, household, relax, patterns, limit, close up, sound, spiral, heat: Fit the theme well.
Crowd: Unusual approach to the theme. . Almost missed the colourful t shirt.
Bold: Super sharp image showing great detail in the brass.
Scenic: Lovely summery image and nice reflection of the castle.
Companions: makes you wonder what they were thinking about
Elegant: Lovely image although i think I would have preferred it without the fluffy bits of feather if you know what I mean. Although it is well detailed. One of my faves (y)
Figures: Beautifully composed image. i too like the two different types of figure and also wondered about the feathers. Just the right height for each other.
Entertain: lovely bold colours and well composed.
Experiment: Another great image. Would love to know how you got this PPing and me don't get on yet. maybe cropped a little too tight. Would like to see more of the palette, I think that is what it is.

Well favourite image as to be figures.I will have to root my woody out he has yet to see daylight or the camera:D. look forward to seeing more of your images. there are some superb ones here.

Hi, experiment, good practice for the PPing and youV done a decent job of it. As said, a little tight, maybe, and then top tubes look a little OOF, but w worthy experiment.

Cheers.

Thank you both ... in particular for the critique - I relate and understand all the points you mention. Just another 4 or 5 to do and then I'm up to date thankfully. Great motivator.

Back