weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Thank you Sam. Do you mean the term "cloning"? It relates to an action, typically in Photoshop, which essentially allows the user to copy an area from one part of an image to replace another part elsewhere in the same image. So for instance if there is an unwanted blemish, you can patch over that by cloning (copying) a clean section from elsewhere. Does that make sense? Meant to say, if you look closely at that image of mine, at the background behind the figure, you will see that my "cloning" has produced a speckled patch. That is what @alsjazzera spotted and was referring to. Hope this helps.
Yes I do see now . Thank you for explaining

Week 31 - Words (Prohibition or Informative notice?)

14mugso.jpg

Doesn't look like you could use it even if you wanted to. A nice find.

A nice words of warning sign. Good exposure with the right amount of DoF to emphasis the location and overgrown surrounding.
Doesn't look like you could use it even if you wanted to. A nice find.
Thank you both. I quite liked the contrasting messages delivered by man and by nature ha ha.

Thank you DK. The movement of the flowers were a real and unexpected bonus.

Hi Carl ... is it private or isn't it, sound like there may be some disagreement.

Nice shot, nice idea .... can't help but wonder what a zoom out would reveal.

Hi Carl ... is it private or isn't it, sound like there may be some disagreement.

Nice shot, nice idea .... can't help but wonder what a zoom out would reveal.
Thanks David. Surrounded by a mass of shrubbery with no visible signs of any habitation ... just vegetation. Strange. I did hear that there was a secret bunker around this location .... for the royal household - seems unlikely but who knows. It is just on the outskirts of London !?!?

Nicely shot sir, and a bit of a mystery to boot... a disputed right of way? Ha!

Nicely shot sir, and a bit of a mystery to boot... a disputed right of way? Ha!

Thanks Brian. Hmmm maybe. Google Earth shows nothing visible above ground for quite some distance - a footpath to nowhere ?! Some super sleuthing required - if you don't hear from me by 23:43 hours, assume the worst.

Hi Carl, looks as though it is stating the blooming obvious to me ;)

Love the crop and a good DoF too, well spotted (y)

I think the tight framing on Animal is fine, but I'd like to see the mouse in focus too, just a tiny bit more DOF for me.
I really like the idea for Medical, the more natural end of things, and the shot as a whole, but it looks like the light was pretty challenging, both from an exposure point of view, and from the point of view that it's made the model squint against the sun a little. There's a tranquility in the tones of the lavendar that I'd like to see matched with soft lighting and a soft expression. It's one of those things though, you have to work with what your dealt on the day.
Proverb #1 has a high school collage feel to it, I like that. #2 is really nice, a good idea nicely executed. I think full DOF would have been fine for that shot though.
Pale is spot on, wouldn't change anything. Nicely done!
I like the simpler 2nd take of Tear. The off centre composition and the shadow work well together. The vignette finishes it off nicely.
Words is a nice find, only the movement in the plants detracts from it, and even then only slightly.

Hi Carl ...definitely the black and white first Tear shot for me, love that film and I do usually shed a little tear at the end, my OH thinks I'm nuts. That's a lovely statue and it really stands well in the shot on its own...as you say she does indeed look melancholy.

A good find for Words, nestling in the middle of nowhere, I like the composition and the forgotten overgrown feel of it.

Really like this, I like the contrast of the colours and also that the sign and fence stands out because of the greenery. Also good use of the subject, it reminds us that some words can be quite powerful...[emoji122]

Week 32: Now Look! I heard two words, not syllables, two distinctly separate words and in the form of an instruction so don't blame me that I have come up with "Sup Port". (It took three glasses before I managed to get this one but by that time my faculties were diminishing rapidly)

b9apz7.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant! How did you get the dark background?
Thank you Laura. The background is an A1-sized black card purchased from my local stationers specifically for this type of use. Use it quite a lot so replacement overdue.

:clap: That's great Carl. I like the inclusion of the cork and the black card works really well (I'll have to get some and give it a go).

:clap: That's great Carl. I like the inclusion of the cork and the black card works really well (I'll have to get some and give it a go).
Thank you Ian. Always think black makes an image more dramatic. Quite difficult to light properly though.

Hi Carl
Tear - less is definitely more in this case, I much prefer the simplicity of #2 and think it's a much more effective image, nicely lit with just enough shadow to give depth.
Words - a lovely shot and a great example of nature making the words superfluous to requirements :D
Support - great minds obviously think alike! That's the same idea I had for Support when it came up in last year's 52s (y) Nice composition, especially with the inclusion of the stained:clap: cork

Support - great minds obviously think alike! That's the same idea I had for Support when it came up in last year's 52s (y) Nice composition, especially with the inclusion of the stained:clap: cork
.... and there I was thinking I was being original hah. Back to the drawing board.

Thank you Ian. Always think black makes an image more dramatic. Quite difficult to light properly though.
How do you light it. I can see you've got a window reflecting in the glass but not sure what other sources there are (useless at figuring this out :) )

How do you light it. I can see you've got a window reflecting in the glass but not sure what other sources there are (useless at figuring this out :) )
I had a little LED torch off to the right and behind the glass just to give it a little extra lift but otherwise relied heavily on natural light from the window - a softbox or two would have done wonders. No expense spared for this production ... I really do mean, no expense spared

Last edited:
Hi Carl, "Words" now that states the obvious, no footpath indeed very strange

"Support" well done for that nice play on words bit too much light on the BG for me, nice idea though (y)

Smart idea... I do love a bit of thinking outside the box, liking your composition, nice splash of colour with the red, and think the background is bang on this time (y)
Thanks DK - appreciate your comments as always.

:) like your way of thinking. Good composition and well lit.
Thanks Stan. I made an exception this time by testing the prop before using (hic)

Hi Carl, "Words" now that states the obvious, no footpath indeed very strange
"Support" well done for that nice play on words bit too much light on the BG for me, nice idea though (y)
Cheers Allan. May have to try setting the bg further back to stop the light hitting it quite as harshly .... or a softer material maybe (hmmmm)

Week 20 - Re-shoot (Silhouette)

A retake to remove the hands holding up the teapot

f9gu2u.jpg

Well that is certainly an improvement Carl, but sorry still no idea why the teapot is floating in the sky :)
Ha ha - that makes two of us .... only to help make the silhouette. Perhaps it's what they mean by having "a light tea" ?!?.

OK - What about this for Silhouette - two for the price of one - tea pot and griddle over a simulated fire. There is some logic and meaning .... isn't there ?!?

2regqoo.jpg

Sup Port .... [groan] ... brave man attempting shots like this ... well done.

Reshoot Silhouette ... I preferred it with the hand. ;)

Sup Port .... [groan] ... brave man attempting shots like this ... well done.

Reshoot Silhouette ... I preferred it with the hand. ;)
Thanks for popping by David. Sadly the sense of humour never changes. The self-timer is a great feature when a willing model is unavailable ... but opens up the temptation of a crafty swig with props like that.

Hi Carl ...

Support ... well you certainly 'thought outside the box' there and no doubt that was a very pleasurable photo to take, it's always good when you can drink/eat the props :) a very good capture of the pouring liquid and nicely lit, I do like really 'black' black backgrounds but maybe that wouldn't have worked here.

Teapot ...I don't know what to say, it's bright ..... logic and meaning ....ummm yes, there must be some somewhere o_O

Linky didn't work by the way.

Teapot ...I don't know what to say, it's bright ..... logic and meaning ....ummm yes, there must be some

Thanks Susie. Should have gone for something else to begin with other than a teapot against a sky. All downhill from that point on - aaaah such is life.

Back