weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Hi Carl

Well you couldn't get more ON theme that's for sure, exposure looks good but I'm not so sure on the shadow on the background, I'd like to see it set further away so the shadow is on the floor rather than the back if that makes sence, that is nit picking by the way, the rest of the shot, composition and placement are also just right for me (y)

Last edited:
Very impressive regarding lighting and exposure as far as I can see, kind of looks a bit boring as a subject though; perhaps something inside would have made it more interesting without ruining the connection to the theme?

Composition wise it's too far off centre for my taste. (but taste is such a personal thing of course).

B. :cow:

What do you use as a background ? The floor and wall seams to blend. I would like to learn how to get this effect

I like the photo. The bucket set off to the side, the white background, simple and elegant

Hi Carl

I'm not so sure on the shadow on the background, I'd like to see it set further away so the shadow is on the floor rather than the back.

Thanks DK. Know exactly what you mean. May give it a try but will have to ditch the ironing board set-up I used for this one.

Hi Carl ....what a great idea :clap: I love that. I agree with DK composition is spot on, an excellent choice for the theme :)

Thank you Susie.

kind of looks a bit boring as a subject though; perhaps something inside would have made it more interesting

I was kinda thinking that myself Brian - a splash of somethind red ... maybe even just fill in the heart cut-out.

Last edited:
What do you use as a background ? The floor and wall seams to blend. I would like to learn how to get this effect

I like the photo. The bucket set off to the side, the white background, simple and elegant

Hi Sam. I used a couple of sheets of A3 paper, one as background and one as a base for the pail. The join I clone out using photoshop. I suppose the alternative would have been to use a proper sheet or shower curtain or something similar. Good luck if you do attempt - worth experimenting.

Pales, nice interpretation. The natural light works well. I'd like a little oomph, but not sure how you'd achieve this :thinking:

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. A splash of something colourful ... maybe popping out of the pail itself or maybe just colour in the heart shape. I'll experiment.

Hi Carl, i like it, (y) I can see what some people mean by its lacking something, but in someway I think that might well take away from the theme and become the dominant feature :thinking:

Nice and soft and Pale ... I think the low POV is just right, showing the rim around the top like that.

Pale: Perfect fit to the theme in more ways than one (y) I agree re the shadows though but I am finding out how difficult they are to eradicate so well done on this one :)

Hi Carl, i like it, (y) I can see what some people mean by its lacking something, but in someway I think that might well take away from the theme and become the dominant feature :thinking:
Thanks for your kind comments Allan.

Good choice of subject and style for the theme, Carl. Exposure, lighting and composure are all spot on for me, and I agree with Allan above; a brighter/bolder detail might lift the overall image but would also detract from the theme so I think you made the right choice (y)
Thanks Andrea. It is a bit of a boring image but one that I may return to later to spice up a bit.

Nice and soft and Pale ... I think the low POV is just right, showing the rim around the top like that.
Thank you David. My previous attempt at a more level POV didn't give the pail any depth so you are absolutely right with that observation.

Pale: Perfect fit to the theme in more ways than one (y) I agree re the shadows though but I am finding out how difficult they are to eradicate so well done on this one :)
Thank you Lee. I will try with the background some distance from the subject so that the shadow is concealed behind or with the lighting off to one side.

Great take on the theme. As a few others have already said I think having anything else in would have distracted.

Quick off the mark with Pale this week mate, well done!

I love it. simple and effective conveying the theme in every way, nicely done.

Quick off the mark with Pale this week mate, well done!

I love it. simple and effective conveying the theme in every way, nicely done.
Thanks Nathan - now for this weeks - is it to be Tear (sob) or Tear (rip) .... decisions, decisions.

Week 30 - Tear (Tear-jerker)

16h3n8m.jpg

A nice photo, very sad film... Is that your reflection in the dvd case ?

A nice photo, very sad film... Is that your reflection in the dvd case ?

Wish I could say "Yes - just above the words Hugh Grant" but sadly instead I can only admit to being that shadow cast on the DVD case. Very observant Sam - how on earth did I miss that?

Hi Carl, have to say any film with Hugh Grant in is enough to make me weep :),
the technicalities of the picture are good nicely exposed/lit, but i think the figure on it's own would have worked just as well
I see why you have included the dvd's and tissue because of the title of the pic, I do feel it takes away something from the main focal point of the image which to me is the figure

the B+W works better for me out of the two

hope thats not to harsh, its not meant to be

Nicely set up Carl, I prefer the black and white myself, think the red bow etc make the colour too busy :)

I sure didn't see the shadow, Samuel is paying attention that's for sure :D
Thank you DK. I think you're rigt - it makes a busy image even busier.

Hi Carl, have to say any film with Hugh Grant in is enough to make me weep :),
the technicalities of the picture are good nicely exposed/lit, but i think the figure on it's own would have worked just as well
I see why you have included the dvd's and tissue because of the title of the pic, I do feel it takes away something from the main focal point of the image which to me is the figure

the B+W works better for me out of the two

hope thats not to harsh, its not meant to be

Not at all Allan - thank you for the cc and putting it so kindly. Mulling over what you and DK have said, I am coming to the conclusion too about how busy the image is - irrespective of b&w/colour. Plus having my shadow cast across the dvd case as Sam pointed out, makes it a candidate for a re-shoot methinks.

Much prefer #2 Carl. Lovely lighting, I'm guessing you added a vignette? If so I think it interferes with the statues shadow which I'd like to see extend to the side of the frame. Of course if there's no vignette I'll shut my pie hole :)

Mono also suits the mood.

Hi Carl, that works much better not so much of the overkill of the first (y)

minor point seems to be a little odd cloning? going on to the right of the figure

Overkill ... yes Carl, I've been studying 1st attempt then 2nd attempt and have decided 3rd attempt should be 2nd attempt with "love actually" DVD OOF on the horizon. :LOL:

Great idea for the theme. (y)

Much prefer #2 Carl. Lovely lighting, I'm guessing you added a vignette? If so I think it interferes with the statues shadow which I'd like to see extend to the side of the frame. Of course if there's no vignette I'll shut my pie hole :)

Mono also suits the mood.
Thank you. Yes, vignette added in search for a more dramatic, melancholy feel but I see what you mean about the shadow :(.

Hi Carl, that works much better not so much of the overkill of the first (y)

minor point seems to be a little odd cloning? going on to the right of the figure
Thanks Allan. Well spotted - hadn't noticed, very careless I'm afraid.

Overkill ... yes Carl, I've been studying 1st attempt then 2nd attempt and have decided 3rd attempt should be 2nd attempt with "love actually" DVD OOF on the horizon. :LOL:

Great idea for the theme. (y)
Thank you David. Both extremes covered leaving the obvious middle ground eh. Tut tut. I'll place myself on detention until further notice.:)

Last edited:
Love this second on, little says a lot n my opinion. I don't see the cloning that's mentioned. What is this term I'm learning of ?

Love this second on, little says a lot n my opinion. I don't see the cloning that's mentioned. What is this term I'm learning of ?
Thank you Sam. Do you mean the term "cloning"? It relates to an action, typically in Photoshop, which essentially allows the user to copy an area from one part of an image to replace another part elsewhere in the same image. So for instance if there is an unwanted blemish, you can patch over that by cloning (copying) a clean section from elsewhere. Does that make sense? Meant to say, if you look closely at that image of mine, at the background behind the figure, you will see that my "cloning" has produced a speckled patch. That is what @alsjazzera spotted and was referring to. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Yep liking that too, at first I thought the vignette was a bit too much at first, but once I looked at the whole image in context with the theme I think that actually helps it for me, also liking the lighting and the long cast shadow (y)

Minor crit, would have loved to see the whole shadow :)

Yep liking that too, at first I thought the vignette was a bit too much at first, but once I looked at the whole image in context with the theme I think that actually helps it for me, also liking the lighting and the long cast shadow (y)

Minor crit, would have loved to see the whole shadow :)
Thank you DK. Should have either adjusted the angle to create room for the shadow or perhaps simply reduced the vignette - ho hum.

Carl!!! I love these images. I really hope I can get to this level one day. I have no critique as to me they all look amazing! :)

Carl!!! I love these images. I really hope I can get to this level one day. I have no critique as to me they all look amazing! :)
That's kind of you Laura but set your sights higher - I'm learning too and suspect soon to be overtaken by Lauraloo83 ;)

Just out of curiosity what do you take your pictures with? I'm using a Nikon D3300 with standard kit lens. I'm hoping to get a 50mm f1.8 soon x

For outdoors usually I use my ancient Sony A350 with an 18-200 f3.5-f6.3 and indoors a Canon 7d usually with a 60mm f2.8. Took me ages to get used to working with a prime lens after enjoying the flexibility of the 18-200 - it seemed quite restrictive by comparison.

Back