weekly Carl's 2015 Photo52 Challenge

Hi, experiment is an interesting idea a little tight in the frame as has been mentioned but you have done a good job overall (y) well done for figuring a few things out in PS

Hi Carl

Great selection of themed images. (y)

Week 20 - Limit (Time - Making every second count) ... love the sharp, tight crop but -most of all- the movement. (y)

Week 18 - Figures ... brilliantly thought-out and captured. (y)

Week 16 - Experiment (Water Colours) ... wooo very arty & colourful, love it. (y)

Thanks Allan & David. PS is keeping me occupied - quite a challenging programme.

Week 25 - Silhouette

21d2zvq.jpg

I agree with Stan about having all the shells in focus, love experiment though, lovely colourful image too :)

forgot to add that silhouette is brilliant, really love it :clap:

Last edited:
Week 10 - Mouth
I'm hoping I get away with what I'm calling PhARTography. I couldn't find a terribly interesting offering to present so thought to sketch one (badly), photograph it and then paint it in Photoshop (also badly). Here is the result.
2094nix.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Carl
Love the spiral one and the experiment one is a really good idea. :)

wow - mouth popped up just as I replied about the others! Excellent! :)

Week 1 - Bliss

Dozing on a bench in dappled sunshine on a summer day in rural Surrey.

14j3i52.jpg

Thank you for your comments Michalene - appreciated as always.

Silhouette - I'm not sure about the fingers, and might have been tempted to crop to the bottom of the pot. It's a nice shape against the sky, and I like the way the cloud by the spout could be steam (or a genie if you're stoned!). The little bits of detail still visible in the pot work well too.

Mouth - It's a different approach, and I like the image, but it strikes me as more of a drawing than a photograph. There's a Jagger-esque thing going on. Kudos for trying something novel.

Bliss - Works for me. Nice composition & colours.

Thanks Nick. No I didn't like the fingers either - tried to crop but got into all sorts of difficulties. I agree about Mouth and will re-shoot if I come across something that fits and even moderately interesting.

Hi Carl, and thanks so much for commenting on my thread. For a late starter to this challenge you have posted some cracking pictures. Far too many for my limited concentration to comment on :eek:

My fave of your recent pictures is Experiment. Such a clever idea on a number of levels and some great colours in there. :clap::clap::clap:

Hi Carl, you're still making great progress with your catch up; can't be many left now until you're bang up to date?

Of your recent images, I really like the shells for Spiral. I've been trying to hunt down an accessible spiral staircase but there don't seem to be any suitable ones over here, so I may have to do the same. Living near a beach, I probably should have gone with that one anyway! The textures and colours, especially in the nearest shell, are lovely.

I also really like the bold close-up of the game pieces in Entertain; it's a very striking and colourful image and works well on all levels, as does your image for Experiment, which is again colourful and eye-catching. Finally, Bliss is a cracker! A super sky, warm light, and a well-placed main subject convey the theme perfectly.

Hi Carl, and thanks so much for commenting on my thread. For a late starter to this challenge you have posted some cracking pictures. Far too many for my limited concentration to comment on :eek:

My fave of your recent pictures is Experiment. Such a clever idea on a number of levels and some great colours in there. :clap::clap::clap:
Thanks for dropping by Jill. I'll feel less conscious when I eventually catch up and not have to rapid fire postings as I have up to now.

Hi Carl, you're still making great progress with your catch up; can't be many left now until you're bang up to date?

Of your recent images, I really like the shells for Spiral. I've been trying to hunt down an accessible spiral staircase but there don't seem to be any suitable ones over here, so I may have to do the same. Living near a beach, I probably should have gone with that one anyway! The textures and colours, especially in the nearest shell, are lovely.

I also really like the bold close-up of the game pieces in Entertain; it's a very striking and colourful image and works well on all levels, as does your image for Experiment, which is again colourful and eye-catching. Finally, Bliss is a cracker! A super sky, warm light, and a well-placed main subject convey the theme perfectly.

Thanks Andrea. Only two or three behind now so the barrage of postings from me will be nearing an end ... I'm much to everyone's relief, including mine ha ha. You can create your own spiral in the sand or with pebbles maybe - you lucky thing.

Well done Carl for catching up. :clap:

Silhouette; good idea overall and agree Nick I'm not sure about the fingers.

Month; I like that another good idea for drawing a painting too.

Bliss; beautiful scenic and looks very relaxing. Talking of which you could double up this shot for Week 8 Relax ;)

Cheers Stan. Yeah I don't like the hand either in Silhouette. A definite candidate for a re-shoot. I think I've already done Relax ... but you've got me wondering now ha ha.

Hi silhouette not really working for me, as someone else pointed out the hand kind of spoils it
Mouth- is really good I like what you have done, although it doesn't look much like a photo it's all your own work excellent PP there (y)
Bliss- I see what you are getting at not sure the composition is quite right, maybe if she was just sat under the tree :thinking:

Hi silhouette not really working for me, as someone else pointed out the hand kind of spoils it
Mouth- is really good I like what you have done, although it doesn't look much like a photo it's all your own work excellent PP there (y)
Bliss- I see what you are getting at not sure the composition is quite right, maybe if she was just sat under the tree :thinking:

Thanks for the cc Allan. Yes, agree about the hand in Silhouette - I was just grateful to have managed an image that met the theme. I did struggle finding something suitable for Bliss - one of the last in my long catch ups but when I saw this, I thought it suited my idea of bliss after a long hard walk..

Last edited:
Well I like Silhouette ... thought the fingers a bit strange/different at first but ... [my camera silhouette was influenced by this].

Mouth ... how talented you are ... more than just a photographer.

Bliss ... fits the theme ... composition is good, if a little erm ordinary. :exit: I'd like to try something similar with a wide angle lens with the aim of getting a little distortion of the flattering sort. :thinking:

Last edited:
Well I like Silhouette ... though the fingers a bit strange/different at first but ... [my camera silhouette was influenced by this].

Mouth ... how talented you are ... more than just a photographer.

Bliss ... fits the theme ... composition is good, if a little erm ordinary. :exit: I'd like to try something similar with a wide angle lens with the aim of getting a little distortion of the flattering sort. :thinking:

Thanks David. Jack of all and master of none really when it comes to my talents ha ha. You're right about Bliss - nothing startling nor particularly interesting, just nice really. Looked for inspiration for ages for the theme but this came closest. A figure propped up against a tree with book in hand would have been better ... for me anyway.

Silhouette is on theme but I think you could have done more with it. I suspect there was more to it, but it looks like you popped it on your fingers and photographed it. Not to be harsh.

Cheers.

Silhouette is on theme but I think you could have done more with it. I suspect there was more to it, but it looks like you popped it on your fingers and photographed it. Not to be harsh.

Cheers.
I agree Andy. I was too intent on achieving a silhouette than on the content ... which is boring visually.

Week 24 - Spiral - Another attempt

2lntgrt.jpg

Last edited:
Spiral - Another attempt ... psychedelic, irregular shadows, nice surround.

Help ... A bit late for that, isn't it!

Spiral - Another attempt ... psychedelic, irregular shadows, nice surround.

Help ... A bit late for that, isn't it!
Hi David. Spiral is actually a cast iron table top from a National Trust cafeteria. Yes sadly calling for Help was a little too late for poor Eggbert - the trauma of the fall must have scrambled his brain.

i Carl - I'm catching up on your catch up :D, you have been busy!

Experiment - I love this, it's a really good shot - what was involved with photoshop? Whatever you did it worked out really well.
Sihouette - bang on theme and nicely shot (y)
Mouth - I much refer the first shot to your reshoot, I like it that you've drawn the mouth yourself and I like the style of the artwork (y)
Bliss - that does look like a perfect spot to while away the afternoon, it's very well short and fits the them well. The only (very small) crit I can offer is that having (is it Mrs Carl?)'s head propped up on the handbag makes her look a little tense?
spiral - again, nicely shot and a good fit for the theme
and Fragile - that one made me smile. Great idea for the theme (y)

and well done on the catchup!

Thank you for your catch-up Lorraine; a couple more and I'll be bang up to date. Sadly my sketching/painting talents match my photographic skills but I enjoy them both equally ... can be such fun to blend the two. Yes, that is Mrs.Carl and when I asked her just now, she said Yes, she was a little uncomfortable ha ha.

Last edited:
Lovely colours in spiral, and the central composition works well here.

That's some messy 'shopping in the egg shot, but it's hard not to look at it and smile. It works in a arty way, in a way that it wouldn't if it was more slick.

I really like the effect on mouth, it's an interesting image to look at.

Another one really liking Mouth Reshoot .... powerful stuff. Is it vandalised wood grain [old school desktop maybe] merged with the portrait?

Last edited:
Lovely colours in spiral, and the central composition works well here.

That's some messy 'shopping in the egg shot, but it's hard not to look at it and smile. It works in a arty way, in a way that it wouldn't if it was more slick.

I really like the effect on mouth, it's an interesting image to look at.
Thanks Nick. You're right about sloppy shopping on Fragile - still learning I'm afraid but will get there.

Another one really liking Mouth Reshoot .... powerful stuff. Is is vandalised wood grain [old school desktop maybe] merged with the portrait?

Thanks David. the "grunge" image is graffiti in a wooden shelter I came across - merged that in PS with a portrait and Voila! Glad you liked

Hi, the egg shot is scaring me although the shot for mouth is not far behind, alphabet is a little OOF but fitting for the theme, what's an "apeture"

Hi, the egg shot is scaring me although the shot for mouth is not far behind, alphabet is a little OOF but fitting for the theme, what's an "apeture"

Thanks Allan. Well spotted - that's why I named it "Wrong Aperture". The word is misspelled on the board but I hadn't noticed until all set up and shot taken. Doh!!!

:clap: ... best Scrabble Alphabet shot so far. Clever thinking! Nicely shot too.

Back