Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

W
Agree with what others said about the Serene shot. Nice blurry movement of water. I prefer the water shot for Black and White theme. Nice water texture.
Thanks Stan - a lot of trial and (even more) error.

Nice Serene shot, as others have said you have caught just the right amount of movement in the water. Trailer B&W shot for me, I like the dappled light on the trees.
Thanks Steve.

The light and shadow in your trailer shot works well for black and white - a very moody feel to it.
Thank you Emma.

The black and white one has some highlights that look blown to me and this is the problem I keep having ...are they ok in this type of shot?
Thanks Susie. No, not really ... highlights should not be blown at all. It is hard to get right I'm afraid - way beyond my skill level at the mo I'm afraid. :(

Great job with the pyramid of Geezer, love the sun effect and the colours in the pyramid, well done.

Sorry really behind on comments.
Lone - a fun composition (have to agree with Cobra about the bubbles I would have put them up from the fishes mouth but each to there own)
Fauna - good capture nicely focused on the Bee.
Static - That is a great entrance I like the symmetry of the shot
Game - good Idea for the theme, but I agree with others about the focus
Serene - lovely shot good movement in the water.
Black and White - the water just edges it for me but it is not as good as the serene shot.
Ancient - Great colours I really like it

Ancient pyramid and colours, the idea is great !
Thanks Chris - was actually looking for an old sailor for "Ancient Mariner" shot but a bit difficult in mid-Surrey.

Great job with the pyramid of Geezer, love the sun effect and the colours in the pyramid, well done.
Thanks. Had to improvise somehow for this theme Chris.

Yes, a brilliant idea Carl what a great idea for the theme ....very well done to you ....I love it :clap:
Thanks Susie. A bit of a lighthearted take .... to conceal my ineptness at finding a true Ancient shot hahaha.

Ancient - Great colours I really like it
Thanks for taking the time and trouble for the catch-up comments Alison. Appreciate it.

Well thats bright, seems to be a little cloning issue at the base but works well enough, nice colours

Great idea and very well executed! I love the sun effect and the lighting.

Great set up on the Pyramid, Carl,it works really well.

... been having fun again Carl !! (y)

Nice set-up, nice colour, shadow needs tidying up a bit. (I didn't notice that till Allan mentioned it) ;)

Well thats bright, seems to be a little cloning issue at the base but works well enough, nice colours
Oooo er ..... absolutely right Allan, bit slapdash ... again.

Great idea and very well executed! I love the sun effect and the lighting.
Thanks Bernd - sun was courtesy of a LED torch shone through a toilet roll ... such improvisation eh!

Great set up on the Pyramid, Carl,it works really well.
Thanks Mr.C. So realistic compared to the real thing don't you think ... £2 for coloured paper v £2k to fly off to Egypt for a week.

... been having fun again Carl !! (y) Nice set-up, nice colour, shadow needs tidying up a bit. (I didn't notice that till Allan mentioned it) ;)
Thanks David. I did have fun making it. Slack shoppery from me again :coat:

Carl, I like the composition a lot, but the BG blur looks very inconsistent, and it really draws my eyes away from the main subjects.

Such a clever idea with the torch and paper for the sun in your Geezer shot - love the vibrant colours! The position and expressions of your subjects in urban are really captivating, too but I do agree with Ruth about the added blur.

Carl, I like the composition a lot, but the BG blur looks very inconsistent, and it really draws my eyes away from the main subjects.
Thanks Ruth. I see what you mean - have re-posted.

Such a clever idea with the torch and paper for the sun in your Geezer shot - love the vibrant colours! The position and expressions of your subjects in urban are really captivating, too but I do agree with Ruth about the added blur.
Thanks for your comments Emma. Added blur removed and image re-posted.

Much better Carl :)

Its certainly to the point Carl.
A typical urban road, nicely spotted and captured.

Its certainly to the point Carl. A typical urban road, nicely spotted and captured.
Thank you Mr.C. I've gone off it a bit ... needs to be a little more creative/inventive I think. Hmmm .... navel-gazing time.

wow ... super street shot. (y)

Lots of detail, lots going on, cardboard box too.

My kind of thing. :)

wow ... super street shot. (y) Lots of detail, lots going on, cardboard box too. My kind of thing. :)
Thank you David. Not sure what the coffee box was doing there .. nobody claimed it. A bit disappointed with the shot to be honest - the only redeeming feature is the evil look I got from the lady ... which I hadn't noticed until up on screen hahaha.

Well spotted Carl, I agree with d00d, there's lots of interest in there when you have a good look around the scene.
Thank you Susie. In hindsight, wish I'd got a moving vehicle for added interest ... or a couple maybe

aw3ryq.jpg

Definitely the first one, the look on the woman's face is quite scary, lucky she never gave chase, its an interesting if not somehow surreal pic

Definitely the first one, the look on the woman's face is quite scary, lucky she never gave chase, its an interesting if not somehow surreal pic
Thanks Allan. One move to scratch her nose and I wouldn't have been seen for dust.

Love the bus stop, the big box just sitting there with the bored people behind framed by the bus stop is really well seen and captured

Lot of going on in the shot. Like the expression of the people, two totally cheesed off passengers waiting for the next bus and the other one looks a bit lost and wondering whats going on.
Thanks Stan. Certainly look bored don't they .. and yet the bus service is very good around here.

Love the bus stop, the big box just sitting there with the bored people behind framed by the bus stop is really well seen and captured
Thanks Chris. Not sure what the box was doing there ... never claimed by anyone at the bus stop.

You're a brave man tackling something like this Carl. (y)

love the bubbles in the glass, against strong coloured BG. Those leaves look good, nice shadow there.

But something's not quite right with the shadows / BG over all. o_O

Last edited:
You're a brave man tackling something like this Carl. (y) love the bubbles in the glass, against strong coloured BG. Those leaves look good, nice shadow there.But something's not quite right with the shadows / BG over all. o_O
You're quite right David - over-playing with the bg to get rid some of the harsh shadows. Quite hard to get right in camera with just the basic kit but trying to improvise as I go. Am determined to get it right ... but without falling behind.

Back