Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

I think it's sticking its tongue out at you :) I quite like that composition, gives it a bit of depth and space

It looks like the Bee is about to take a leap of faith :D
Very nice Carl, the purple sets it all off nicely.

Great colours in the Lone shot nice fun feel good image. Slightly different angle on the Fauna shot IMO would have added to shot, nice take tho.
Thanks Walter. Got a few reasonable shots at different angles. I know what you mean but wifey, she who must be obeyed, liked this one best.

I think it's sticking its tongue out at you :) I quite like that composition, gives it a bit of depth and space
Thanks Chris. Is that what it is - thought it was it's proboscis (shows how much I know about nature).

Carl I like the OOF purple in the background against the green, the bees not bad either ! :)
Thanks Chris - such active things; makes it quite hard to get a decent shot of them.

It looks like the Bee is about to take a leap of faith :D Very nice Carl, the purple sets it all off nicely.
Thanks Mr.C. - Yeahit looked like that to me too.

Hi Carl, Like your bee shot, good compo. Did you sharpen this at all in PS ?
Thanks Nigel. Not sharpening (which I never seem to get right without completely ruining the image) but I did use Dodge & Burn.

Hi Carl, Might be worth giving smart sharpen ago on the bee, works well and easy to use too :).
Ah! Thanks Nigel - just found it's location under Filters. I've only ever used the Sharpen Tool before but I'll try this alternative method. Thanks again.

Looks amazing with beautiful colour. :clap:

I've not the patience for this kind of thing.

hi Carl, i like it in a way but i am not sure about the central very OOF flowers, more so the slightly OOF flowers on the right, its a little noisy too,

I think I would crop half way through the central very OOF flower as my eye is drawn to the bottom right corner, which distract from the very good bee pic

hope that makes sense :thinking:

Great action position on that bee and you've done really well to get both antennae in focus while keeping the background soft.
Thanks Emma. Forget how many shots I took to just get a handful of reasonable ones but still ....

Looks amazing with beautiful colour. :clap:I've not the patience for this kind of thing.
Thanks David. It did occupy a fair bit of time and a lot of wasted shots.
:plus1: Colours are beautiful Carl ....a super shot.
Thanks Susie. I liked the lavender/green contrast too.

Hi Carl - now that is a nice image, great colours, not so sure if the centre bunch of flowers works for me, but also guess it would look odd without them, as a whole the background is splendid, as is the overall detail :)
Thanks DK. The centre bunch looks almost to be providing a stepping stone for the bumble eh!

hi Carl, i like it in a way but i am not sure about the central very OOF flowers, more so the slightly OOF flowers on the right, its a little noisy too, I think I would crop half way through the central very OOF flower as my eye is drawn to the bottom right corner, which distract from the very good bee pic hope that makes sense :thinking:
Hmmm! I hadn't really noticed the oof RHS - not good. In two minds about the central bunch - quite like it there as a splash of colour against the blanket green bg but I'll have a play with the crop and see what's what. Thanks for commenting.

Great shot for fauna, even without a Raynox! Brilliant colours and I like that the bit of the plant in the bottom right corner is also sharp.

Great shot for fauna, even without a Raynox! Brilliant colours and I like that the bit of the plant in the bottom right corner is also sharp.
Thanks Bernd. Must try and wangle the funds for a Raynox - a macro would be terrific.

Week 32 - Static

Going for the double with this. 1. for the obviously static prop plane and 2. for the art deco building behind which is protected by law from being changed so therefore it too is static ... at least so I'm claiming. The image is actually from the old Croydon Airport - the building is now used as a business centre - beautiful architectural features.

Static by Carl Ayling, on Flickr

Last edited:
Blimey! that's "in your face" Carl!

Very nice (y)

Spot on Carl. Ordinarily I would think that the supports for that aircraft were a bit OTT but for this theme they really make the point. Nice bright shots, good sky, well done, and quick off the mark!

Spot on Carl. Ordinarily I would think that the supports for that aircraft were a bit OTT but for this theme they really make the point. Nice bright shots, good sky, well done, and quick off the mark!
Thanks Chris. Makes a change from my faffing around for days - the light bulb above my head lit up almost straight away when Static was announced. :)

Hi, Fauna, well spotted and nicely focused. Never easy to get a clean BG as they don't co-operate :)

Static, what a strange place for a plane. Any reason you didn't photograph from the other side?

Cheers.

NB, I didn't see the first one, best of the two by far :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Andy - thank you. You may have missed the head-on image further up the page - the rear view was only as a reference point to show the surroundings. The plane, like the art deco terminal buildings in the bg of the first image, are there as a reminder of the Croydon Airport that once was.

Very static aircraft Carl pity about the lampposts strange place to put them but they don't distract too much, really well processed

Brilliant subject for Static, Carl... both of them!
My OCD wishes I could see the wings right to the tips in the first image, but as it is, Chris is right, it's really quite imposing!

Nice for the theme Carl, like this
Thanks Chris.

Very static aircraft Carl pity about the lampposts strange place to put them but they don't distract too much, really well processed
Thanks Allan. I know, uplighters would have been less distracting and more dramatic at night .

My OCD wishes I could see the wings right to the tips in the first image
I did try Ruth but those trees up front plus the metal gate prevented a wider angle shot. Ho hum.

Love that bee shot Carl. Well captured too as they are not very static :coat: ( yes, I know it's a fauna shot ;))

The Static shot is a good one too and, without any explanation it works very well as it is obvious that plane ain't going nowhere :clap:

Lone - I had to chuckle at the shoe horn there Carl. I do like the colours and detail.
Fauna - nngh, horrible buzzy thing. Good use of DoF though.
Static - Now that's more like it Carl. I thought that was Croyden Airport's gate guard as soon as I saw it. Much better that Heathrow's replacement for the Concorde. Lovely image, great skies behind it.

#1 for static! Great symmetry and great sky in the background.

1st one for me Carl, and I'm not concerned about the cars either which surprised me, as the plane and struts holding it up are that vast they grab my vision, the rear end shot just doesn't have the same visual impact, the cracking cloudy blue sky also helps for sure, nice !!! (y)

Love that bee shot Carl. Well captured too as they are not very static :coat: ( yes, I know it's a fauna shot ;)) The Static shot is a good one too and, without any explanation it works very well as it is obvious that plane ain't going nowhere :clap:
Thanks Jill. They certainly are busy busy bees - hard to track with the camera.

Nice shot - I like the way the wings line up with the top of the building leaving the blue sky clear above as if it's straining against those supports to get up there. Or is that just me...?!:exit:
Hi Emma. Not intended to do that but I see what you mean ... just wish I was clever enough to have taken it with that intent in mind.

Lone - I had to chuckle at the shoe horn there Carl. I do like the colours and detail.
Thanks Tim. I did struggle with Lone .. and the fish isn't quite shark-like. I have to admit it is very Cobra'esque in terms of shoehorning.

Nice find for Static Carl lovely details and colours
Thanks Mark. I was lucky having it there to suit the theme ... and on a nice day to go visit.

#1 for static! Great symmetry and great sky in the background.
Thanks Bernd. What a lovely day it was too ... just had to make sure not to blow the whites.

1st one for me Carl, and I'm not concerned about the cars either which surprised me, as the plane and struts holding it up are that vast they grab my vision, the rear end shot just doesn't have the same visual impact, the cracking cloudy blue sky also helps for sure, nice !!! (y)
Thanks DK. Should have gone at the weekend and maybe then would have an image devoid of cars (and particularly that mini bus by the front door!).

Fauna; love the bee shot, nice focus and composition too. Static; prefer the 1st shot with in-your-face and over-your-head feel to it. The deco building just add more interest to the shot.
Thanks Stan. I love the art deco architecture so may go back and see if I can get indoors.

Interesting to see the rear view, but it doesn't have the impact of the main image ... nice one Carl. (y)

Back