Carl's 2016 TP52 Challenge **Completed**

I like a good play on words and here it is backed up by some great light and details on the glass, very well done Carl (y)

Have to agree with d00d BG is not good where you have tried to blend it, can see a line between flower and glass to do what you want you have to be able to light the BG separately, hard and frustrating to achieve otherwise.

I like a good play on words and here it is backed up by some great light and details on the glass, very well done Carl (y)
Thanks Chris. I do have fun with photography .... lack some of the skills but fun learning.

Have to agree with d00d BG is not good where you have tried to blend it, can see a line between flower and glass to do what you want you have to be able to light the BG separately, hard and frustrating to achieve otherwise.
Thanks Allan. I probably need a single sheet to save the hard edge ... or distance from subject so that the edge is blurred more into the bg. I like experimentation so will keep trying.

Hi carl,
B&W - I'm not sure. it's certainly a good shot, and the pp is done well, but I'm not 100% that it all fits together. I think I prefer the second shot as it tells a story more, so seems more appropriate in B&W.

Hmm, Serene, evidently I'd missed commenting on Serene, and now I've seen it, it re-enforces my thoughts on your original B&W. Works well for Serene :)

Ancient - A great alternative take on the theme. Not sure it was quite that orange when I visited Eygpt back in 2000, but I do get what you're conveying about the heat / sun :)

Urban - Someone certainly likes there coffee!!! I can't help but explore the shot for extra details (like the reflection of the house behind in the rh window). #1 for me too.

Pair - Groan!!! I'm not seeing anything wrong with the shadow / BG, I do like the use of DoF with the bubbles in focus, but the lime somehow seemingly not across it's whole area.

Pair - Groan!!! I'm not seeing anything wrong with the shadow / BG, I do like the use of DoF with the bubbles in focus, but the lime somehow seemingly not across it's whole area.
Thanks for the catch-up Tim - appreciate it. (Had to remind myself what I'd posted to follow your comments hahaha).

It does look really effective Carl ...I see what others mean about the background but for me it doesn't really detract too much from a very nice image. You made a brave choice in the yellow, I must move away from black or white and do something more interesting.....as you say it's the experimenting and the learning curve that makes the hobby continually interesting.

A-pair-itif
Oh dear Oh dear! are we sure that is in the "spirit" ? :D

Great idea Carl, it works very well, nicely taken, and TBH I see what the others are saying, but the background doesn't really bother me.

It does look really effective Carl ...I see what others mean about the background but for me it doesn't really detract too much from a very nice image. You made a brave choice in the yellow, I must move away from black or white and do something more interesting.....as you say it's the experimenting and the learning curve that makes the hobby continually interesting.
Thanks Susie. They say the best way to learn is by mistakes .... I'll be a professor of photography pretty soon !!!

Oh dear Oh dear! are we sure that is in the "spirit" ? :D
Took a liking to it when I visited your local - The Crow Bar :p.

Great idea Carl, it works very well, nicely taken, and TBH I see what the others are saying, but the background doesn't really bother me.
Thank you Mr.C.

Have attempted correct some of the faults in the bg and re-posted image.

Great street photography for urban, I haven't seen the first version, but that one works for me.

A bit of a shoe horn for pair, but nicely done.

Pair, LOL, almost as bad as my Pair ;)

Not easy with basic kit, but you've done well. I'd prefer the flower not to be there as I don't think it really adds anything.

A theme you can drink, always a winner :)

Cheers.

That's different Carl but like the thought behind the shot. Glass is not an easy subject to capture but you've done very well.
Great street photography for urban, I haven't seen the first version, but that one works for me. A bit of a shoe horn for pair, but nicely done.
Pair, LOL, almost as bad as my Pair ;) Not easy with basic kit, but you've done well. I'd prefer the flower not to be there as I don't think it really adds anything. A theme you can drink, always a winner :)Cheers.

Thanks Stan, Bernd, Andy. Just the merest suggestion of a shoehorn eh!

Love the title :D, very well put together, nice lighting and I can't see the join (y)

Is it that time of the year again? Great idea, great photos, especially all the details in the big one. And I like your photoshop work.

Love the title :D, very well put together, nice lighting and I can't see the join (y)
Thanks Chris. Been struggling with seamless joins but getting there. (If I wore a syrup, you'd have me checking it out in the mirror haha).
Couldn't get bigger than that, great idea.
Thank you Shirley.
Is it that time of the year again? Great idea, great photos, especially all the details in the big one. And I like your photoshop work.
Thanks Bernd - being bombarded by falling conkers ... a bumper year.
Love the idea Carl, really nicely done, I bet that took a while to do, but well worth it.
Thank you Susie - not too long. A bit of selective selection, refine mask and a dash of luck and Voila!

Nice idea, did you win ? focus stacking the closer conker would have helped with the DoF

I do love a conker.

I dont think there is anything to match the rich depth of colour a freshly opened conker has.

Such a shame it dulls very quickly.

Great wotk tho, and nicely thought out. Ive struggled for ideas with this one.

Like your idea and the title too. That's a conker of a shot. :exit:
Thank you Stan. Had a smashing time playing .. I mean um taking it.
Nice idea, did you win ? focus stacking the closer conker would have helped with the DoF
Thanks Allan. Didn't know what focus stacking was until I read an article about it just now. I'll try experimenting - PHEW something more to learn !

I do love a conker. I dont think there is anything to match the rich depth of colour a freshly opened conker has. Such a shame it dulls very quickly. Great wotk tho, and nicely thought out. Ive struggled for ideas with this one.
Thanks Mark. Yes, they do have a lovely sheen to them when fresh out of the nut ... almost like newly polished leather. (Felt very conscious going around picking up conkers - second childhood). I lost my mojo a few weeks ago and struggling too - happens but it does come back. Keep going eh!

Hahahah, that title made me laugh out loud :D Great play on perspective (y)
Thank you Jill
What a fun idea - it's amazing how much texture is in the skin of the conker and you've captured the sheen beautifully. My Willliam would be wanting to add that one to his collection for sure!
Thank you Emma.
A nice take on 'Big' Carl, this just tells me that we are in autumn now!!!
Thanks Lee - shame eh!

I had a similar idea myself (great minds and all that) but yours is much better conceived and executed than what I had in mind, like the red nose :beer:

I hope this isn't you:eek:, its certainly After.
Thanks Shirley. Well unfortunately Yes, some PS magic helped to take the edge off a bit to save you from the full impact.

I had a similar idea myself (great minds and all that) but yours is much better conceived and executed than what I had in mind, like the red nose :beer:
That's kind of you Chris. Thankfully, I had to use PS to create that drinkers nose; unfortunately the rest is eau naturale.

Hi Carl

Sorry for my lack of comments recently

After is brilliant live the amount of detail in there great colours. Great lighting too.

After, love the read nose :)

I had a similar idea but you've all seen enough of my mug.

Nice and close, good detail...but the bottle isn't empty :naughty:

Cheers.

Great idea and well executed, nothing to criticise.

Hi Carl Sorry for my lack of comments recently After is brilliant live the amount of detail in there great colours. Great lighting too.
Shouldn't worry about commenting Mark, just good to see you still with the TP52. Thank you.

After, love the read nose :) I had a similar idea but you've all seen enough of my mug. Nice and close, good detail...but the bottle isn't empty :naughty: Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Did my best to empty the bottle ... still at least it leaves scope for a re-shoot sometime ;)

Great idea and well executed, nothing to criticise.
Thanks Bernd. Except maybe the model :(

Hi Carl,
Big - Love that picture, cleverly put together. I can't see the join :)
After - Chuckle, and double chuckle about Andy's comment on the bottle not being empty. Well envisioned and executed.

Lightweight, nice idea Carl and well executed
Very true Allan - known to overdoes on a rum baba. Thank you.

Hi Carl, Big - Love that picture, cleverly put together. I can't see the join :) After - Chuckle, and double chuckle about Andy's comment on the bottle not being empty. Well envisioned and executed.
Thanks Tim. Must get around to trying the focus stack Allan mentioned for the conker shot.

Back