weekly CatClick's 52 week challenge - 2022

I'm not sure that I want to know what the "fleshmarket" was all about but I like the image.

Oddly (or perhaps not!), I do want to know! It could be either a butchers' area or somewhere where ladies of the night plied their trade. That ambiguity adds to the shot IMO.

Being of a curious mind, I googled it and it was the less interesting of the 2!

Fleshmarket? Intriguing.
The B/W fits the image well and the bike add some interest.
Nicely processed.

Nice shot - bizare name!

Nice shot.

Just out of interest, is a Fleshmarket an old term for where prostitutes used to gather? I know lots of street names were named after the business there.

Like the old name for Magpie Street in Oxford...

(PS - don't read on if you're easily offended)

Still cannot believe that 24 hours apart we took pics of the same alley and it looks so different. Not gonna lie I wish I had taken my shot in weather like yours lol. Good shot, more akin to my original idea

Being of a curious mind, I googled it and it was the less interesting of the 2!

You say that, but I bet nearby there was somewhere related to the latter.

Lots of streets had to have their names changed after the original name became somewhat offensive, and many of THOSE streets were near the local markets. To attract travelling trade from stall holders as well as locals.

NSFW due to the language of the old street names...

Nice image, it works well in B&W.

Interesting name and a great mono image. The bicycle adds some interest too.

Thank you for your comments, been pushed for time this week, so apologies for not replying individually. No flesh was found, I hadn't really given the name much thought as I've passed it so often. But yes. quite a gruesome thought.

Week 7 - Heavy

A heavy stone beside River Etive yesterday morning. This was taken just after the arctic glow had subsided and before the light became too harsh. A stunning day with not enough superlatives to describe it.
Week 7 - Heavy.jpg

Well composed.
I wonder what it would look like if you put a gradient filter to the bottom left in LR and upped the exposure there a little?
This would give more prominence to your heavy stone.

Its a lovely image taken on a lovely day, I have to agree with Peter though that the Buch does take prominence over the boulder

Wow, what a stunning location. I do agree a bit with the above comments, as my first thought was heavy snow until I read the description, but I'm not knowledgable enough about these things to enough to have thought about Peter's suggestion of a gradient filter (and I'd have had to nip down and buy one :LOL:)

Well composed.
I wonder what it would look like if you put a gradient filter to the bottom left in LR and upped the exposure there a little?
This would give more prominence to your heavy stone.
Its a lovely image taken on a lovely day, I have to agree with Peter though that the Buch does take prominence over the boulder
I have already upped the exposure in the bottom but didn't want to overcook it. Will revisit it again later to see if I can do anything else with it.

Nice shot but as said - needs that corner upping if that's the main subject.

A lovely picture my eye was initially drawn to the heavy snow on the mountain that I missed the heavy stone! Looks cold!

Beautiful shot and great light on the mountain. Your edit is good.

Alley: fabulous shot. I did wonder if it was the other end of @inView 's alley

Heavy: What a glorious scene. I like both the original and your edit. I think the stone in the foreground is more obvious in the edit, but I couldn't choose between them. The river is a lovely leading line to the mountain.

If you hadn't written it, I would have missed the subtle shoutout to "light" Catherine, well done.

Great spot! Wonder what the story is with that flag? I’m guessing there may be a Scottish link as it looks a bit like the Saltire.

Well spotted :)

The isolation of the flag works really well. Quite a cool shot.

If you hadn't written it, I would have missed the subtle shoutout to "light" Catherine, well done.
Great spot! Wonder what the story is with that flag? I’m guessing there may be a Scottish link as it looks a bit like the Saltire.
Well spotted :)
That's such a cool spot of a shot to fit the brief
The isolation of the flag works really well. Quite a cool shot.
Thank you all. I don't know the back story to the flag, this was in the harbour at Lossiemouth. It was incredibly windy and the noise of the riggings was almost deafening.

As others have said, well spotted. I noticed the lighthouse straight away in the image, but may well have walked past the boat without seeing it. I do wonder what it was about. Perhaps a local sailing club?

Heavy - I like the final edit, it isn't too much IMHO and makes for a nicely balanced scene. It's a lovely composition
Light - well spotted and fits the theme well

Back