Monthly ChickenDipa - 2013 ETC Challenge - Contre Jour & Natural Light

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Having nearly completed the 52 challenge last year I was looking for something that allowed me to spend a bit more time on a picture/set of pictures. The week went by too quick and it was easy to get out of sync! I think my plan will be to pick 1 or 2 and make sets based on those themes chosen but we shall see what turns up!

So going to give this a try and hopefully my husband will too (Cowmageddon).

Look forward to see what the themes bring!

PS. I didnt know what a Physiogram was!!

Last edited:
Ok so here is my first contribution, the current plan is to post 3 x fairy lights shots and 3 x physiogram shots, anything else is a bonus :)

Our planned trip to Spurn Point may have to wait due to the weather but we shall see what next weekend brings.

Here are 3 fairy light shots.

Fairy Lights 5 by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Fairy Lights 1 by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Fairy Lights 4 by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Hi Alex:wave:
#3 gets my vote, I can see a heart shape in there. I particularly like the vivid colours in all the lights. Good work (y) iain

Hi Alex. I really like number one as it fills the frame nicely. The others are good, but there's just a little too much dead space for me.

#3, reminds me of molecular strands.

I'd never have guessed they were fairy lights if you hadn't said.

Thanks Mark for the comments, I did mean to do more but its been a hectic few days.

Here are 3 of my physiograms, really enjoyed doing these and will be messing around with the idea more at some point.

Physiogram 7 by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Physiogram 1b by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Physiogram 6 by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

There are issues with them, I need a better place to swing from and a bigger space but enjoyed doing these and was impressed with the results. Also set the camera up myself (not good with long exposures :LOL:) as I usually rely on my assistant (husband).

Last edited:
Hi Alex,

Well done on getting these, I particularly like #2 the colours are lovely on it!:)
:clap: Another well done for cracking long exposures without Jon!:) I look forward to seeing Febs now!

Hi Alex,

Well done on getting these, I particularly like #2 the colours are lovely on it!:)
:clap: Another well done for cracking long exposures without Jon!:) I look forward to seeing Febs now!

Thank you! Normally I am backwards and forwards asking him why things are not happening like I want them to but I got there quite quick. He'll be feeling redundant.

Going to give it another try, need to get somewhere near your amazing ones!!

I like the physiograms I actually think the way they are broken up round the edges adds something.

Also set the camera up myself (not good with long exposures ) as I usually rely on my assistant (husband).

I had a similar problem although instead of not having an Assistant I had an "Insistant" Insistant that I hurry the hell up so she could get in the kitchen :D

I like those Alex, especially number 7. Great colours, pattern and almost 3D effect :)

Ah I dont know where this month has gone! These themes will have to be banked and tackled in March. Hopefully the days I have to take pictures will be a little bit sunny!!

Hope everyone else has nailed this month!

Ah I dont know where this month has gone! These themes will have to be banked and tackled in March. Hopefully the days I have to take pictures will be a little bit sunny!!

Hope everyone else has nailed this month!

A bit like you, I've struggled to do all 6 this month, only done 3 and that includes a fudged natural light one. I've done a triptych from photos taken last year, is that still ok? Can I do a couple more in march and add them to my Feb set?

A bit like you, I've struggled to do all 6 this month, only done 3 and that includes a fudged natural light one. I've done a triptych from photos taken last year, is that still ok? Can I do a couple more in march and add them to my Feb set?

I had a few ideas but the time has just disappeared. Will make an effort to sort out another 3 shots.

Going to post 3 ok-ish pictures that meet a theme or 2.

Great shots of the Dogs you've captured the light really well (y) They both look so innocent!!!!

Not sure what to say about the contre jour. Looks like you nipped outside stuck your camera towards the sun and went snap :exit:

Great shots of the Dogs you've captured the light really well (y) They both look so innocent!!!!

Not sure what to say about the contre jour. Looks like you nipped outside stuck your camera towards the sun and went snap :exit:

Thanks and thanks.

In a sense I did just nip out and take the picture but its a view where the sun comes in strong early in the morning. Quite often take that picture and have a mess about with it. Due to time constraints I've not jad chance to look for a better location.

Hi Alex, how ya dooin'?

I prefer the second natural light shot; the lab rescues it for me. The problem with both is Mollie's brown eye patch I think, which makes her left eye disappear too much IMHO, given that it's on the shadow side of the shot. It'd have worked better with her the other way around I think, though I know that's easier than said.

Great exposure on the rest of her fur though :)

Contre Jour I was about to say did absolutely nothing for me, but it's actually saved big time by the sun on the wall to the left. The more I look at it the more I like it :)

Back