Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2021

I only use a fork to each oranges when I'm working on my computer and don't want to end up with sticky keys

Hah, I thought this. "Who uses a fork for eating oranges?". Then after reading your comment, I thought "I will in future!!"

I think the prongs through the fruit force the viewer to spend a little more time with the image to figure out what it is, which is a good thing. Really like the lighting and the contrast between subject & background. Overall a great entry for the week.

I like the slightly darker foreground on this. Fork fine by me :)

Nice use of DoF
The fork is fine by me too.
Thanks Phissy, I have to say that I did "cheat" with the DOF. I used the in-camera focus stacking function in my OM-D M-1 MKIII camera. So it's actually 7 images stacked and blended.

Hah, I thought this. "Who uses a fork for eating oranges?". Then after reading your comment, I thought "I will in future!!"

I think the prongs through the fruit force the viewer to spend a little more time with the image to figure out what it is, which is a good thing. Really like the lighting and the contrast between subject & background. Overall a great entry for the week.
Thanks Ian, I'm a messy eater at the best of times, especially when I'm more focused on my editing than on getting the food from my plate to my mouth! :D

One of the many painted rocks that I've found on my walks. Not sure if this is a "thing" in the UK but it has become very common since the advent of the pandemic. This one was a little weathered and dirty but it's kept on smiling... :)

1 rock (4 of 4).jpg

That's great :)

That's a different, and cheerful take on the theme - and we all need cheerful right now!
Thank you Paul, you're right. I had other shots that I could have used but thought that this spoke to me a little more.

Dirty
The pebble is nicely placed in the frame, the colourful face stands out well against greens.

It doesn't really say Dirty but it's a pleasing image with fresh-looking green around a happy stone.

Not something I've seen in the UK, though there was a chap who painted the abandoned chewing gum on the Wobbly Bridge which was quite impressive, but not something I'd want to do during a pandemic!

It is cheery :)
Downtown Seattle has a wall of chewed gum that is quite well known. Like you, nothing that I'd want to get even close to...

Super find for the theme .... and a cheery face too :) Painted rocks are quite a big thing down here in Cornwall.
Thanks Susie, but it looks like I'm one theme too early!

Dirty
The pebble is nicely placed in the frame, the colourful face stands out well against greens.
Thanks Dominic.

The colours works well and I like your framing of the subject.
Thank you Pete

It doesn't really say Dirty but it's a pleasing image with fresh-looking green around a happy stone.
Thanks Stan, it was quite dirty, but I think that the natural colour of the rock makes the dirt and grime stand out less.

Loads of these painted rocks here too, down at the beach and along woodland paths.
Thanks Stan, most of the ones I see have positive messages written on them rather than a face. I like coming across them.

Just seen this and thought it was this weeks theme, don’t you hate it when that happens
LOL, exactly what I was thinking Alan. It happened to me a couple times in last year's challenge as well... :D

Dirty - That a fun find I confess I thought it was this weeks theme too. I have seen kids workshops for them locally but not found any locally, I did see some on a coastal walk on holiday though.

A tiny little rock, no bigger than my thumbnail.

Jan 22 (1 of 1)-10.jpg

Looking at the depth of field it does look small, what was the colour of the stone?

good detail in there for something so small

Dirty: I think you peaked too soon and this should have been for this week's theme :D I have found a few painted stones with things like 'dream' written on them and they always cheer me up. Well spotted.

Stone: I agree it looks like a little brain :) Black and White works well. Lots of detail.

Fruit: really like this shot - so different! The depth of field works really well.

Last edited:
Rock
It's a little brain, or a crumb of blue vein cheese. I've no idea what this looks like in colour, but the black and white seems to be the right choice.

Yes it looks a bit brainy - I like it :)

Back