weekly DAVE'S 2021 WEEKLY 52 SHOWCASE & Finished

Out and about
Of the two shots, I reckon you pick the right one for the main thread.
It has a good lead in line with that path taking you through the picture.

My son did that on a 10 day motorcycle holiday we did in Wales. All the Nikon gear in his top box but a battery 250 miles away in South London.

Very pleasant views, agree with LC2 on the subject.
Glad you are out and about Dave, shame about the shy lad as he would have made a good subject on the path.

Pete
Never done that Dave though I am very surprised I haven’t,
nice bright colourful pictures but as has been mentioned not really any subject
good that you are out and about again
You won't be doing that again for a while at least ;) Looks like a beautiful day anyway.
Out and about
Of the two shots, I reckon you pick the right one for the main thread.
It has a good lead in line with that path taking you through the picture.

Thank you folks.

Looks a lovely day to be out and about Dave, that's the main thing. Your phone saved the day and it keeps you up to date.

shame you forgot the battery, nice images though and looks to have been a lovely day.

They look like polystyrene dice to me. :)

The B&W versions work better because of the lifted contrast IMO. I quite like the 0 because that makes it "not" a die which piques my interest. Also like the really subtle reflection.

Nicely numbered :)

Another vote for the mono.

Yep, it's the mono for me too, nice image.

The Mono one works better, but I like the year one, maybe a little more thought went into setting it up.

Pete

I like that Dave great subtle reflection

Last edited:
Another vote for the B&W Dave, for the same reasons as the others. It just seems to have a bit more punch about it. Nicely on theme too.

Numbers
I agree with the black and white being the better of the two. A good black background and reflection.

Another vote for the B&W Dave, for the same reasons as the others. It just seems to have a bit more punch about it. Nicely on theme too.

Thank you Iain.

Numbers
I agree with the black and white being the better of the two. A good black background and reflection.

Thank you Dominic.

I much prefer the first composition. I'm not sure why - perhaps the upside down 5 upsets me :)

I think a little boost to the highlights might give it a tad more punch. Nicely done with the reflections. Did you use your studio lights?

I much prefer the first composition. I'm not sure why - perhaps the upside down 5 upsets me :)

I think a little boost to the highlights might give it a tad more punch. Nicely done with the reflections. Did you use your studio lights?

Thank you Bebop, just the built in flash on the X100V.

I do collect a lot of toy cars and vans, so when the theme came up I knew just what to take. I edited the X100V to get the old look and gave it a soft look, and the Mustard van is with the Sony A7 III + FE 35mm f1.8 and left it in colour. Natural light coming through the window.

Toy Van BP by Rohan, on Flickr

Mustard 1814 by Rohan, on Flickr

Two good shots for the theme Dave - and good choice for colour for the Colman's van :)

Oh those are cute toys - and just when I was expecting to see a telescope :)

I like the processing on the first and agree with Dave that for Colmans you have to leave it in colour.

Two good shots for the theme Dave - and good choice for colour for the Colman's van :)

Thanks Dave.

Oh those are cute toys - and just when I was expecting to see a telescope :)

I like the processing on the first and agree with Dave that for Colmans you have to leave it in colour.

Thanks Bebop.

I did think of doing the small 1350mm telescope, but changed my mind.

Two really nice shots. Personally I prefer the first, the processing really suits the subject but definitely agree with the above comments that the Coleman’s van clearly had to stay in colour :)

Hi Dave,

Numbers - Those not die hurt my head. They are so obviously incorrect (Opposite sides of D6 should always add up to 7, it's impossible with those)
Nicely shot though, lots of DoF, decent subtle reflections.
Toy - I think I prefer the Coleman's shot as it's not trying to be something it isn't. Adding an old film filter to an obviously sharp and new model feels a bit incongruous.

Two really nice shots. Personally I prefer the first, the processing really suits the subject but definitely agree with the above comments that the Coleman’s van clearly had to stay in colour :)

Thank you.

Hi Dave,

Numbers - Those not die hurt my head. They are so obviously incorrect (Opposite sides of D6 should always add up to 7, it's impossible with those)
Nicely shot though, lots of DoF, decent subtle reflections.
Toy - I think I prefer the Coleman's shot as it's not trying to be something it isn't. Adding an old film filter to an obviously sharp and new model feels a bit incongruous.

Thanks.

I don’t really like sepia on anything so it’s the yellow van for me Dave

Toy
Both are just right for the theme. For me I really like the pastel tone of the mustard van.

Good work Dave, giving the viewer a few options on the theme. Both have their merits so it's difficult to choose between them.
Your choice of processing on both are 'on point'

Toy
Both are just right for the theme. For me I really like the pastel tone of the mustard van.

Thank you Dominic.

Good work Dave, giving the viewer a few options on the theme. Both have their merits so it's difficult to choose between them.
Your choice of processing on both are 'on point'

Thank you Iain.

Back