weekly De88ie's 52 2016 - Week 49 50 51

I prefer the colour version, pity you don't have more contrast in the plane.

very behind on comments so a catch up from me.
Lone - right on theme and b/w really suits this theme
Fauna - great shots I like the 1st best
Static - Love it - and I agree great place to visit I want to go back now that they have the Hogwarts Express too.
Game - nice work with the editing another good choice.
Serene - lovely portrait
Black and white - I agree the original is better.

Hi Debbie. Lovely shot through the clouds and you couldn't get much more Ancient than it. Good choice for Urban too - like the movement blur.

Thank you Carl, struggled with ancient.
I nearly didn't get the photo for urban, had to run across a very busy road. Got some very bemused looks from drivers, especially a passing police car :police:

Thanks rpn. The moon is actually the eclipse of the sun.
I got the definition of urban from the dictionary as :- urban relating to, or constituting a city or town.
Cheers.

Love the moon one Debbie, what a great idea for the theme, ooops just noticed your reply to Stan that its an eclipse of the sun, but they're both ancient so fit the theme perfectly.

I think urban was a difficulty theme in some ways and as you say your photo fits the definition, I do like that building with the graffiti on it, maybe a closer shot of that would give a bit more impact.

Thank you Susie, i would have loved a closer shot but the road was just too busy. Three attempts, three different, supposedly quiet times of day/evening. The perfect vantage point would have meant me scaling a traffic light :D:police:

Thank you Chris and Susie, knew it would be baby feet when i saw this weeks theme, had forgotten how much babies wriggle their feet though :LOL:. Got there in the end.
The beach shoot was taken during the evening golden hour at Scarborough.

Two very nice images Debbie. I particularly like Serene with it's blue cast and excellent composition with the couple placed off-centre.

Pair, great idea Debbie, it works well.
Serene, Pretty much as Carl said above :)

What a great shot of the eclipse with the moody clouds giving a hint of the weird atmosphere you get. The baby feet are just scrumptious and I like the detail on the little creases at the ankles - good choice of background, too.
I love your serene shot - as others have said the blue colour works so well and it is beautifully composed with the two figures standing out nicely (y)

Hi Debbie,
Ancient - Good take on the theme, I think that's probably the oldest subject we've seen for this theme. You've got the moon nicely sharp through the clouds, something I've not managed to achieve when trying a similar shot (y)
Urban - I like the graffiti in the image, it sells it as an urban scene.
Pair - What a contrast to the grit of your previous shot, that's a lovely image and the way the near background is already soft is really fitting.
Serene - That's a well taken image. The patterns on the sand really bring it to life + you have the added interest of the couple on the beach.

Last edited:
Big looks big, nicely done with the sun behind and still retaining some details on the tower.

After is a very good take on the theme, I like the DoF and the fag butt really makes it.

After, it so tells a story, the confetti that was once blowing in the wind lies forgotton in the rain. :)

Good take with the sun hidden behind the tower - gives it a sort of aura. It certainly is Big. I too like the abstract for After with all the debris from past events - the brown leaf for me.

Hi Debbie

Great angle of view for Big really demonstrates to bigness of it.

After what a great find tells a story and is such a simple image well done

Big is very well timed with the sun right behind the tower, and an interesting PoV.

After is a great photo that tells a great story!

Great use of the tower to hide the sun Debbie and it certainly looks very imposing against the blue sky. I love the thinking behind 'after'. So much colour but a really poignant feel accentuated by the withered brown leaf and fag butt. Oh those mornings after...!

Hi Debbie,
Big - Good choice to hide the sun behind the observation deck. Quite a difficult dynamic range though, the cloud appears over exposed and the tower itself is a bit underexposed.
Do you have the raw you could play with a little?
After - I like the random patterns of the confetti and leaves, but for me, the fag butt detracts and I would have removed it or cloned it out.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I cropped the fag butt out of the picture, then put it back as i thought it added to the "after" feel of the picture. The big was in full shadow and i had to edit it to bring out some of the features of the tower, this did over expose the clouds. Should really spend a bit more time getting to grips with the Affinity editing as it would have been a better image..

Back