weekly dmb's 52 for 2018 (Wk 30 - Cook) and over and out.

Lamps are they? Interesting, from the angle I would have assumed they are bigger. I do like them, the colours and texture captured is quite fun. The way you've caught edge to the broken glass (lens?) is a nice touch too.

Match is well seen and made me smile, good angle to get the lamps with the genies behind

Beautiful - lovely blossoms good Dof
Low - yep that is low, great find for the theme, Interesting image I like the way you have framed the front of the boat in the corner.
Match - Fun take on the theme the idea that the blokes are the Genies made me smile.

Last edited:
I don't know where you would use these lamps, but great photo with the genies to match. Great PoV too!

... tells a story. Hmmm ... lamps are they!
Yes, at the local flea market. About 18" high by 12" square. Had oil burners inside. Presume you took off lids when lit. The 'Mirash' would have been an Indian restaurant, but not that local.

Last edited:
David

Bueatiful, Nice bunch of blossom, nicely isolated from the background by DOF. Nice blue in the background against the green of the leaves.

Low, seems cropped a bit too tight in the bottom right area. Fits the theme well and I like the duck not getting his feet wet. Hightlight from the sun reflecting off the water could have been tamed a bit with a polarising filter..

Match, not sure what is matching, the old boys in the background or the lateen at front, bike add clutter to the photo.

Music, Well that is different, I had to search google and found the answer.:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Pete

Haha, good one! Nice photo and right on the shoehorn theme :)

Musical - Nice shot, with good textures in the picture, but man i hate beans. :puke:

Hard - I like this. Nice colours in the stones and nice dof. My eyes are however struggling to find the focus. My guess is it is on the stones, but due to the stones being what they are it is difficult to see where the sharp focus is. Just my opinion. It is a well composed shot, with highlights and shadows all kept under control.

Musical :D, good idea for the theme and nicely captured.

Hard, nothing harder than diamond, another good take on the theme, I like the highlight on the back of the ring.

David

Nice take on the theme, good colours reflecting in the diamonds, but the focus appears just behind them. Well done 37 years ago.

Hard - Double Diamond - works wonders! :)

Match - Great take on the theme really like that

Music - :D nice idea an original idea

Hard - Certainly are nicely done.

Oooo, creepy but very well captured and bang on for the theme

Urgh!

:runaway::jawdrop::eek::clap:

hard - right on theme!
creatures - creepy, well captured and right on theme!

Week 23 - Synthetic

Hauled out the other microscope for this one.

Recrystallised Ascorbic Acid - Synthetic Vitamin C

by David M Bloor, on Flickr

Zeiss x10 objective, x5 Projection eyepiece onto Canon 450D body.

Colours are result of having crossed polarising filters above and below sample and a 1/4 wavelength plate above to depolarise and tint the light that had been rotated by the crystals.

Last edited:
Thought you`d get your shot in quickly. Not for me though David as none of it is in focus.
Colourful shot though.

Actually the crystals ARE in focus, however the colours are produced by recombination of refracted light in the top polarizer which is not in the same focal plane, hence the colours always blur.

It's a good abstract for me, I though it was fabric when I first saw it, really interesting photo and top marks for technical prowess!

Nice abstract, good colours.

Creature - Wow, that's a super cool technical shot. Thanks for the explanation otherwise I would not have a clue what I was looking at.

Synthetic - I must say it's another good shot but not really for me. It's technically a great shot, I'm just struggling to find any sort of focal point. My eyes seem just to dart over without really settling on anything. But it is a cool picture.

Ross

Music/Musical - sadly this image isn't working for me.
Hard - wow first date to proposal in 4 days thats pretty quick, cant get much harder than a nice Diamond stone. A good idea for the theme however i find the highlight on the back of the ring a distraction, I do like the composition of the image I wounder if focus on the stones could be improved upon.
Creatures - excellent take on the theme and impressive detail.
Synthetic - a very clever take on the theme like the abstract look of it.

David

Creatures, not an Image that does it for me, but I understand how much equipment and technique used to create it

Synthectic, as above for me again.

Pete

Back