weekly Downton Mini's '52 for 2016 Week 52 Celebration THe FInal Chapter!!!

Right now on to topical

I had a few ideas for this such as Europe and the local paper but then I realised I could do something different

A few weeks ago we were clearing out my great uncles house and we found an old record player, so when we got home we tested it and it worked it had been in the garage for many years so this was a surprise so I dug out the Vinyl mom and dad gave me and my brother.

Hang in there....

Vinyl is see a resurgence at the moment so Topical and add to that Mick Jaggers' new drama on Sky Atlantic called Vinyl I thought it was very Topical

TOPICAL by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

TOPICAL1 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

TOPICAL6 by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

I would never have guessed about the link with Topical but spot on. My word those look positively ancient and for the player to work is amazing. My fave is #3 ... (nice collection).

Hi Mark

Topical is a good shout - the link is there with your explanation and to be fair, vinyl as a medium has been coming back into fashion (and therefore is more topical) for quite a few years now.

I'm actually not sure which picture I prefer. I might go for the middle one if it weren't for the cluttered background, but I can also see the benefit of getting closer to the playing record so will go with others' and say the last one. I feel it could do with a touch more contrast (can be achieved with lighting or in post) but what I do like is that dark shadow inside the turntable - really lures you in!

Good job and we're nearly at "next week" already :)

I would never have guessed about the link with Topical but spot on. My word those look positively ancient and for the player to work is amazing. My fave is #3 ... (nice collection).

Thanks Carl yes I was surprised it worked given there were 3 kettles in the cupboards that didn't work!

That's only part of the collection I have a load of classical (again from m uncles) some of which I may keep but most of which I will sell. I really need to dig my Queen records out and get them on:woot:

Love this idea Mark ......I was only chatting to someone last night about vinyl making a comeback so it's certainly Topical for me. Something very tactile about those LP's, I remember them well :) .....a memory stick just doesn't have the same charm somehow.

Thank you Susie your right a memory stick just isn't the same I love the sound from vinyl it has a real atmosphere to it

The last image for me, prefer the vinyl being played as the feature, nice colour vinyl (y)

Thanks Dean yes the Beach Boys on Blue Vinyl when I came up with the idea I knew I had to have that on the turn table so it would stand out a bit more

Topical - nice take on the theme, I much prefer the third image just a shame the top of the player has been clipped.

Thanks Mandy I agree about the top of the player being cropped I was trying to leave the BG out as I was too lazy to move the furniture last night :oops: :$

Hi Mark

Topical is a good shout - the link is there with your explanation and to be fair, vinyl as a medium has been coming back into fashion (and therefore is more topical) for quite a few years now.

I'm actually not sure which picture I prefer. I might go for the middle one if it weren't for the cluttered background, but I can also see the benefit of getting closer to the playing record so will go with others' and say the last one. I feel it could do with a touch more contrast (can be achieved with lighting or in post) but what I do like is that dark shadow inside the turntable - really lures you in!

Good job and we're nearly at "next week" already :)

Thanks Paul I might try a reshoot at some point and move the furniture about to get abetter background as I was being lazy last night!

I had fun doing this as I had the record playing while taking the shots

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea for topical, #3 is my favourite I think because the record player is more symmetrical and prominent.

Hi Mark, a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - a lovely natural portrait of your nan, nicely isolated from the background but still hinting at a family gathering. She looks so well for 90!
Metal - shiny colours and details stand out well, and I like the further out of focus metal details in the background.
Captive - I've tried this with frozen flowers and leaves before, and it's great fun. You have a nice contrast between the colours of the leaves and the blue of the water. If you wanted to lose the bubbles in the ice, I seem to remember that using cooled boiled water helps with that. Great idea for the theme.
Miniature - really like this, especially the DOF and the different colours and sizes of the models. It works very well (y)
Happy - it might be me but there seem to be some focus issues, but the pots are bright and bold and definitely happy, so a good choice for this theme :)
Abandoned - a great selection of images and all perfect for the theme. I like them all but particular favourites are the first two for the strong tones and contrasts and the lovely skies (y)
Camouflage - lovely warm tones and colours in the metal, and definitely an original idea. I spotted the slotted screw straight away. Good work :)
Danger - another unusual take on the theme and I like the strong colours in this. I would much prefer a different background - maybe a bright plain colour like the car - but the DOF helps to detract from that, and your placement of the model works well to include the reflection in the foreground.
Topical - you're on fire with your different takes on the theme! Great idea and set up, with lots to look at. I think I just prefer the third one as it's bold and really draws the eye in.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be looking out with interest in future (y)

Good idea for topical, #3 is my favourite I think because the record player is more symmetrical and prominent.

Thanks Chris

Hi Mark, a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and it's the first time I've visited your thread. Thanks for dropping in to comment on mine, and I'll try to keep up to date in future!

Old - a lovely natural portrait of your nan, nicely isolated from the background but still hinting at a family gathering. She looks so well for 90!
Metal - shiny colours and details stand out well, and I like the further out of focus metal details in the background.
Captive - I've tried this with frozen flowers and leaves before, and it's great fun. You have a nice contrast between the colours of the leaves and the blue of the water. If you wanted to lose the bubbles in the ice, I seem to remember that using cooled boiled water helps with that. Great idea for the theme.
Miniature - really like this, especially the DOF and the different colours and sizes of the models. It works very well (y)
Happy - it might be me but there seem to be some focus issues, but the pots are bright and bold and definitely happy, so a good choice for this theme :)
Abandoned - a great selection of images and all perfect for the theme. I like them all but particular favourites are the first two for the strong tones and contrasts and the lovely skies (y)
Camouflage - lovely warm tones and colours in the metal, and definitely an original idea. I spotted the slotted screw straight away. Good work :)
Danger - another unusual take on the theme and I like the strong colours in this. I would much prefer a different background - maybe a bright plain colour like the car - but the DOF helps to detract from that, and your placement of the model works well to include the reflection in the foreground.
Topical - you're on fire with your different takes on the theme! Great idea and set up, with lots to look at. I think I just prefer the third one as it's bold and really draws the eye in.

I've enjoyed catching up with your thread and will be looking out with interest in future (y)

Wow Thanks Andrea for taking the time to comment on all my images so far. :ty:

Great and different take on theme topical, although I personally think it's time to embrace modernity :D

#3 works best in my opinion. The deep shadow above the turntable and the blue record are in nice contrast to the album covers on the floor. And I like the tighter crop although it doesn't show the full extend of your record collection.

Hmmm ... I think #3 as the FG record sleeves with the light reflection are out of the frame. o_O

Mark. loving the Danger Mouse for the dangerous theme. good thinking. Topical, there is a definite vinyl revival going on. I prefer the third as I like the composition better.

Danger(ous) A fun take on the theme, love the vivid colours, the background distracts but not too much. Very imaginative.

Topical Vinyl is making a big comeback at the moment so bang on the brief, my 20 year old daughter has plenty of it, puts me to shame with my digital music.

love the danger mouse car, nice colours and good work on a difficult background

topical is on theme but i think the player distracts a little and just the vinyl on its own would be enough just my thoughts though.

Really like the first Topical shot Mark. Brings back memories!
I hear cassette tapes are making a comeback too!

Thanks for all the comments everyone much appreciated. Just uploading my images for Living World then on the Spiky and Reshoot

All four do fit Mark, without question, but #1 is my fave by far - the eyes are beautifully sharp and you have captured a lovely bright & alert expression. #2 is fine too but doesn't quite have that same vibrancy about it. :clap:

Hi Mark, living world was a tricky one for lots of us... I agree with Carl that the eyes in #1 do it for me, and if you'd have been able to catch the gaze in your direction then it would have been perfect. As it is, it's a good shot and nicely captured.

I'll be honest and say the macros/closeups aren't grabbing me - if you could have looked inside the first one for some added interest and either managed a bit more DOF or perhaps a slightly different angle on the second, they'd be much stronger for me.

1st image, very nice Mark, the concentration, on the dogs face, you can see its almost "hurting" sitting still like that.
Its a shame you clipped the paws in #2 nice PoV though it works well (y)

The macro's, I'm with Paul, they are nice enough images, but I would have preferred to see a little more detail in #1

Topical - No. 3 for me Mark I just like the the way my attention is drawn to the record player in this one. Great to see all those old records:)
Living World - No. 1 - you have captured the dog's expression so well, and the eyes are beautiful.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I prefer the 2 dog images to the flowers it was my first time doing macro work with flowers I think I need more practice) I do prefer the image of Rory (don't tell Fin!) I usually struggle to get a good shot of Rory as he always looks away when I get my camera out, but he'll happily pose for others!!!

A lovely set of images Mark, and they all meet the theme in different ways. As the owner of a border collie the intense gaze and "coiled spring" pose in that first one is very familiar and my favourite of the set, but both flower images also catch the eye. There are some issues with DOF but it is tricky when you get in that close, especially when it's the first time you've tried, and the colours and details - especially in #4 - are beautiful.

Week 10 Reshoot Dangerous

Ok thought I would try something different

I tried taking a few pictures of just the fire but then I thought it needed something else so I roped my brother in to hold the can!!

RESHOOT DANGEROUS by Mark Gameson, on Flickr

A bit more of a danger your roaring fire than my burning match but great minds and all that. Admire the fact that you convinced your brother to hold the flammable can while you took the shot !!! :clap:

Hi Mark ....love the first one of your dog ....it's not just the brilliant eye contact it's the whole stance, so alert and ready for action ....a really super shot :clap:

I don't think you've nailed the focal point on the flowers.

Dangerous reshot is a super shot too ....I can almost feel the heat :)

Thanks Susie yes he may be getting old now but Rory is always ready to go although sometimes he sends Fin to see what's happening first!

With the flowers I was shooting handheld I want to have another go one the tripod and preferably when its a bit warmer and sunnier!

A bit more of a danger your roaring fire than my burning match but great minds and all that. Admire the fact that you convinced your brother to hold the flammable can while you took the shot !!! :clap:

Thanks Carl it was getting a little warm in front of the fire I took loads of shots without the can but they just weren't working for me when I handed Paul the can he did look at me a little suspension :eek:

My favourite for "living world" is the first one, great eyes!

I find the DoF of the macro shots not quite deep enough, but I have the same problem whenever I use my macro lens...

Back