weekly Elaine's 52 for 2016 - Urban added

I like the image with the ducks! ( They are all ducks to me - sorry!!) The image of the log is my favourite. I love the colours and the dof makes it almost looks 3d! Really like the image and think the " living world " fits it perfectly

Hi Elaine, I like #1 and #3 for living world. Give the first a bit more exposure and it's a lovely shot and obviously on theme. The stump is a cracker - perhaps a tiny bit more space at the top and maybe a squeeze of shadow detail inside those cracks but it's really well done. Well done!

Hey Elaine :)

Sounds like a lovely productive walk, I'm liking shots 2 and 3, number one has my eyes all over the place looking for a focal point... so for me out of the last two it is the tree trunk and moss, lovely colours, nice composition and liking the background too :)

I particularly like the second and third images, Elaine. The framing and reflections make the Goosanders image really stand out, but my overall favourite is the third one. It's the sort of thing that would draw my eye on a walk and I really like the contrast between the dead stump being taken over by the living moss, the DOF, and the bright green colours.

Danger - nice selection but #2 of the building site for me ! (i am bias though) - like the composition and placing of the signs

Topical - Very! nicely taken shot - liking the set up and the B&W is my fave of the two :)

Living World - again a great selection but really liking the third. The colours, detail and DOF are spot on - well done !

The focus looks a bit soft on the first one, but I like the ducks and the tree trunk.
The tree is my favourite, I think the composition and colour is an excellent combination

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. With regard to the focus/exposure of the blossom, yes I agree it's not quite right. I think the main cause was that the whole spray was only about an inch in diameter, so my lens was virtually touching it and blocking out much of the ambient light. I think it might have been better to pull back a bit and then crop it in pp.

I'm off on holiday at silly o'clock in the morning, so I've been a bit too preoccupied to work on this week's theme, but as usual I'll be looking in regularly to check out the weekly themes while I'm away and I already have a couple of ideas in mind for suitable holiday snaps that might fit in with Spiky. See you all in a few weeks!

The Living World....Has to be the mossy tree trunk for me. I love mixed textures like that.

Abandoned - lovely Idea for the theme and he does look worried that you might leave him there.
Camouflage - the colours work really well great choice
Danger - good spots for the theme the first 2 both stand out as Dangerous but you are right about the other 2 too. I love the Heron my favorite of the set (good job I am not a fish).
Topical - that is a lot of sugar. Very topical I like the colour one best.
living world - 3 lovely photos all on theme I like the reflections in the Goosanders.

Time for my post-Malaysian-holiday catch-up!

Week 10 - Spiky

Lots of spiky things to photograph on Langkawi, so I'm afraid there are 5 for this one - 3 spiky plants and 2 spiky-haired monkeys!

23kapvb.jpg

24epbh1.jpg

2egcw0x.jpg

166lmqp.jpg

2qcp4yd.jpg

Week 11 - Artificial - Arty-Fish-All

I wasn't sure about this theme when I first saw it, but then we were having a meal at a Chinese restaurant at one of the island's little marinas and I had a sudden flash of inspiration! The second shot is on the promenade of a public beach and the third one is in a park in Kuala Lumpur.

16adyk2.jpg

2cypa84.jpg

16j4k2f.jpg

Week 12 - Personal (Comfort)

Lots of tree-dwelling animals to photograph in the rainforest and they all seem quite adept at finding their own personal way of getting comfortable.

This is a giant black squirrel, but it reminded me more of a sloth with its resting position

b54kzk.jpg

A more familiar-looking squirrel. I loved the way it rested its chin on its tail :LOL:
r8yoo9.jpg

Dusky leaf monkeys (again!) - just chillin'
14j3vy8.jpg

Week 13 - Effort

Just one shot for this. On our last day in KL we spent a few hours by the hotel pool, 4 floors up, before getting ready for our flight home. I happened to look over the garden wall and spotted these workmen having an afternoon nap after their morning's efforts doing maintenance work on the glass canopy entrance of the building next door. Yes, big shoehorn required, but it was close to 40°, so I don't blame them one bit!

fdav46.jpg

Hi Elaine. Wondered why the absence of posts but what a great catch-up.
Spiky: Difficult to decide between #2 & #5; the first of those perhaps slightly edges it for me because of the scale of spikiness
Artificial: #3 because of the lovely ripples and reflection on the water.
Personal: Like #3, the dusky leaf monkeys best - absolutely blissful state.
Effort: I think this is a great shot for the theme ... definitely no shoe horn. The contrast between working and resting and the location high above a glass canopy all help to make this a terrific shot. Like it lots. :clap:

Love your Effort photo,no shoe horn at all, the guys taking a siesta emphasise the one guy making an effort.

Welcome back, Elaine! I love that first flower in your Spiky set, it's a beauty, all the Artificial images hit the mark but the last is very striking with that great reflection, for Personal my favourite is the last one as they look so relaxed and peaceful, and I don't think your shot for Effort is a shoehorn as the three resting men underline the effort the other one is putting in to the task. Super catch up (y)

Elaine Hi,

Spiky - number 5 is my favourite, liking the silhouette and the background.
Artificial - really like the second for this theme, sadness springs to mind, beach and tortured by the sun.
Personal - number three for me, the monkey that's awake looks like its going to whack the other to wake it up.
Effort - quality image, perfectly fits the theme,

Hi Elaine it's good to see you back :) Stand out for me are the silhouette for Spikey, and the squirrels for Personal ....how cute is that one resting on his tail. But my real favourite is Effort, what a great find ....I love the way those guys look so chilled out, the reflections, everything about it.

Hi Elaine.

Spiky #2 for me, though #5 reminds me of the Jungle Book for some reason :)
I like the blues and greens in #2

Artificial - Groan :) The second shot is soo weird looking, it stands out as my fav of the 3

Personal - All good spots. The third one looks as if one of the monkeys is scratching the back of the other one, so for that reason #3 :)

Effort - Not sure I'd have wanted to be sleeping on that ledge. Again, another great spot for the theme.

Great catchup Elaine love your image for Effort very well seen having the 3 people lying on the ledge really helps show the effort for the one working

Thank you for all your lovely comments - I have a lot of catching up to do with feedback for others!

We're having a new leccy meter fitted this week and that meant that the pc and all its associated gubbins had to be moved out of the office so they can get at the meter. So Mike took the opportunity to give the pc innards a bit of a clean and a few tweaks and I took the opportunity to take a few shots for Technology. Having it on my kitchen worktop with himself hovering over me itching to get on with what he was doing weren't exactly ideal circumstances for arranging decent lighting and I had to make do with natural light and a handheld torch, so I know there's a lot of room for improvement there. Not sure whether I prefer the first one of all the chaotic-looking messiness or the close up of a few of the components that go into it.

Week 14 - Technology #1
wv67b8.jpg

2u5s4k9.jpg

Hi Elaine. The first I think with all that "messiness" ... and colour. Computers "think" logically in stark contrast with the chaos of their innards eh!. Spot on theme. :clap:

Great catch up lots of reminders of you holiday.
Spiky - I really like #1, the flowers colour really stands out against the greens but #3 just pips it for me for the theme.
Arti-fish-al - I like #3 best partly just because I like Dolphins but also for the reflections.
Personal - I like #2 with his head on his tail best but all lovely shots
Effort - Great Capture and not a shoe horn right on theme for me.
Technology - both on theme I like the Second one best .

Two great images Elaine I love the colours and complexness (with all the wires) of the first one, the DOF and focus on the second really pulls you into the image

Interesting bits up top right #2 ... need seeking out.

Hi Elaine, liking your images for the technology theme. lots to look at and I prefer the first overall.

Interesting bits up top right #2 ... need seeking out.
??? :confused:

A couple of bit of blown whites in both.......
I know :(

Thanks to everyone for looking and commenting. Glad to see that my idea of contrasting the chaos of the physical with the logicality of what it does in the first shot seems to have worked.

Week 15 - Horizontal

After last week, I decided to do something really simple this week. My first idea of doing a close up of the bubble in a spirit level was a complete failure, because our spirit level isn't and I couldn't get the bubble to stay in the middle! The second idea didn't end up being quite as simple as I thought it would be, because the plastic comb I used had really rough edges to its teeth when I zoomed in, so I had to do a lot of cleaning up in pp, but I'm reasonably happy with the final result. I know the individual teeth taper, so strictly speaking they're not actually horizontal, but it was more of an overall "feel" that I was going for.

2ur9rb4.jpg

Hi Elaine

Technology is obviously bang on theme and the fact it looks cluttered is appropriate :) I prefer the second one for the added interest the DOF brings. Lighting works well on that one, too.

Horizontal is also very appropriate. I like the image and the idea and it's well executed. I wonder if it might be even strong off-centre but maybe not. It's good! (y)

Haven't used one of those for years ... probably more suited these days holding the pronged side and scraping the flat across the top of my head. That works as an image Elaine - nice b&w abstract.

Back