weekly Elaine's 52 for 2016 - Urban added

Name
Elaine
Edit My Images
Yes
Here we go again! Happy New Year to everyone.

Week 0 - Old

My 2015 calendar gets consigned to the recycling bin

106d02e.jpg

Week 1 - Metal

Similar idea for both of these, but two different subjects.

#1 - Precious Metal. Maybe this should have been Old - I didn't realise how scratched it was till I saw the close up!

33vnc5g.jpg

#2 - Base Metal

2r4lsfd.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Elaine :)

Old - Nice idea, liking that you have separated the months, good white balance and overall composition works well for me too :)

Metal - Hmmmm torn here, I like the fork but think the lower section is too dark and the centre is a tad blown ??, so I'm going for the bolts, I'm liking the composition again and the good black background (y)

Really glad to see you back in this year :)

"Old": I like the idea, but you missed a golden opportunity to impress us all with fake appointments - the ambassador's reception, afternoon tea in Monaco, shopping with Kate...

"Metal": Definitely prefer the second picture with the apparently haphazard arrangement and the DOF.

Hi there,
Old, the calender shot has a lot of potential, just a thought focus on 31st with someting written about the year you had, ie:loved it or even good riddance:)
The other two takes seem too closed in, need setting free:)

Hi Elaine nice to see you back, can only agree with the comments above, nuts and bolts for me

Old, good idea and nice detail. The whites look a little blue?

Metal, I like #1 but the blown highlights are a little distracting. Wonderful markings, though.

Cheers.

How on earth have these skipped past me? Ha ha very clever for Old - past recent times (if you know what I mean). I like all those hallmarks on the fork ... my cutlery also has markings; all begin "Property of ...." does that count? I prefer your second one of all those nuts & bolts - their haphazard placement creates added interest beyond the sharp focus on the primary screw thread.:clap:

Great lighting of the nuts and bolts!! You obviously have a high quality provider of hardware and expensive taste in cutlery!
Both great shots for their apparent simplicity. Nicely lit. I am not offended by the slight blow out on the fork - it would be easy to knock it back - but that would loose the sense of shiny !!

Old has a nice interpretation of the theme which works for me - I may have thought about an extra page or two to cover the expanse of January's sparce date grid ? Minor detail !

Lovely piece of cutlery Elaine, nice and shiny and plenty of detail (y)

Hello Elaine, two really good images, I prefer the fork the most. The detail on the back is unusual and you have captured it in great detail. Good luck completing you 52

Hi Elaine, I really like the second take on "metal". It's brilliantly isolated and you have a good focus point too. The DoF drop off on the surrounding bolts works a treat too :) Great work.

"Old": I like the idea, but you missed a golden opportunity to impress us all with fake appointments - the ambassador's reception, afternoon tea in Monaco, shopping with Kate...

"Metal": Definitely prefer the second picture with the apparently haphazard arrangement and the DOF.
Thanks Nick. Obviously I keep those appointments in my private diary, not on show for everyone to see :p

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

Week 2 - Captive

#1 Rather a dark image to start, which involved Mike leaning through the landing rails with me perched part way down the stairs to get the right angle :eek:

2ccpj6h.jpg

#2 is a bit more of a light-hearted take on the theme, although Monkey wasn't at all happy at having his hands taped to the bars (especially when I ripped it off afterwards!) and a piece of cotton thread wound around his neck to get his face poking out in the right position :(

2d1u3np.jpg

Hi Elaine , both on theme both have there own merits so not going to pick either one they not work well

The hand shot is great, very well done.....the monkey, is that something out of your oven he's tied t? ;)
Well spotted Chris, yes it's one of my oven shelves. I did think about giving it a good clean, but I think the burnt on gunk gives it a more authentic feel - well that's my excuse anyway :p

As the others have said #1 is a strong image but love the monkey; what did he do wrong?
He just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ;)

I like #1 best Elaine ... b&w always creates a more dramatic look to my mind. Really good gritty image for the theme. :clap:

A couple of nice shots Elaine !!!

I'm torn between them, like the both pretty equally... but I'm going to go for the second shot for creativity, I like the downwardly converging lines of the 'bars', and even having catchlights in his eyes (y)

Back