weekly Em's 52 for 2016 - Celebration added

Hi, wel done for going out and taking the pic and stepping out your comfort zone, nice explanation of why you took it too

I really like the busker shot Emma, good detail considering ...

And, by accident or design, I like the other face coming into the frame too. Any less of her and she'd have to go completely, any more of her is not necessary.

Thanks David. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by 'considering' ..my nervousness, choice of lens or the fact I took this first shot on auto for the first time in a long time?! (Any of these would be a good reason ;) ! )

Great busker shot! I like the woman with the phone in shot. Maybe more of her would be nice, but it works as it is. :) The two separate ladies lost in their own worlds suit the theme very well, I think. :)

I know what you mean about being self-conscious. I've also been thinking of shooting some street for this week's theme but am feeling scared about it, especially since I'll be using a 24-120 (I love zoom) and it juts out a bit! :p

Thanks Sheylara - lovely feedback :) I actually used my kit lens for the first time in a while as I didn't really know what I was going to be shooting - but it felt about 4 times as long as usual!

Nice image "Topical" Emma.

Phil

Thanks, Phil :)

Ha! ... considering all the difficult reflective lighting, metering complications and stuff.

Hi Emma

Dangerous - Could also pose as happy, he has a wild smile on his face. Good work on the panning, panning shots are harder than people think aren't they, and you had to direction to pan in just to make it a touch harder.
Nice one (y)
Topical - Firstly well done getting in so early. Great shot, she really seems to be enjoying herself. Her dog is well 'camouflaged' too and as you say the lady on her phone, seemingly totally oblivious, adds to the storyboard.
Gratz on stepping outside of your comfort zone. I've tried a little street too and it's an odd experience.

Hi. I'm too late to add anything that hasn't been said already. Except for good on you for having a go at "street". That's a great start! (y)

Wonderful smile in #1, but it's #2 for me, topical indeed. I like the women's face in the window and how she's looking at the bed. Wonder why he's left his his glove with the money in it??

Cheers.

Like that Emma - both of them make a statement on today's society. I'm always self-conscious with street photography so rarely do it - good on you to get out there. :clap:

Very good topical photo, my first thought was as others have said about the woman on the right, however the fact that she is looking at her phone and ignoring the busker and is only partly in the shot is actually a nice detail for the theme I think.

Three great aspects to your Topical shot Emma.
The busker herself, the signwriting in the shot window, and the oblivious walker on the phone.
Very nicely done.

Loving the dangerous bike image shot. Image one of busker is the one for me.

Gaz

I really like your choice Emma, a super shot, it's certainly Topical in any town....the girl certainly has a very happy face ...but who knows what lies behind her need to go busking. The lady on the phone definitely adds interest in that she is completely ignoring the singer. I guess we're all guilty of that at times.

Evening Emma

Love your shot for topical, the lady walking past looking at her phone rather then paying any attention the lade busking really adds to the story. A great effort for your first attempt at street photography and something I really need to try again

Hi Emma, that's a really good shot for Topical. I liked the description and agree with the majority of others that more of the "phone lady" would be great... maybe something to consider for the next street shot you do. I think you certainly have a talent for this sort of photography - you convey a real sense of story with that single image, which for me is the key to "street". Really nicely done :)

Hi Emma

Dangerous - Could also pose as happy, he has a wild smile on his face. Good work on the panning, panning shots are harder than people think aren't they, and you had to direction to pan in just to make it a touch harder.
Nice one (y)
Topical - Firstly well done getting in so early. Great shot, she really seems to be enjoying herself. Her dog is well 'camouflaged' too and as you say the lady on her phone, seemingly totally oblivious, adds to the storyboard.
Gratz on stepping outside of your comfort zone. I've tried a little street too and it's an odd experience.
Thanks for the kind words Tim. I'm not sure got quite the movement I wanted in the panning shot, but I'll have another go sometime. As for the street I might have to work up a bit more courage first!

Hi. I'm too late to add anything that hasn't been said already. Except for good on you for having a go at "street". That's a great start! (y)
Thanks Jeff!
:agree: With every one else's comments.
Cheers Mandy.

Wonderful smile in #1, but it's #2 for me, topical indeed. I like the women's face in the window and how she's looking at the bed. Wonder why he's left his his glove with the money in it??

Cheers.
Thanks Andy - I'm glad you like the doorway shot - the juxtaposition between the bedding and sign seemed to make a statement to me. I walked past with my daughter a couple of days later and it was still there, but the glove had been upgraded to a blue cushion - still with money but no-one else round.

Like that Emma - both of them make a statement on today's society. I'm always self-conscious with street photography so rarely do it - good on you to get out there. :clap:
Thanks Carl!

Very good topical photo, my first thought was as others have said about the woman on the right, however the fact that she is looking at her phone and ignoring the busker and is only partly in the shot is actually a nice detail for the theme I think.
Thanks for your comment Chris - it definitely had to be that shot after I saw the phone in her hand.

Three great aspects to your Topical shot Emma.
The busker herself, the signwriting in the shot window, and the oblivious walker on the phone.
Very nicely done.
Thanks very much, Ruth :)

Loving the dangerous bike image shot. Image one of busker is the one for me.

Gaz
Thanks Gary - my son is proud of his bike shot, too!

I really like your choice Emma, a super shot, it's certainly Topical in any town....the girl certainly has a very happy face ...but who knows what lies behind her need to go busking. The lady on the phone definitely adds interest in that she is completely ignoring the singer. I guess we're all guilty of that at times.
I certainly am Susie - probably checking out a notification on TP ;) I didn't want to make assumptions about either woman, but as an image it seemed to work. It was really the happy face of the busker and the advertising slogan in the window that made me stop initially - the other lady was a lucky accident.

Hi Emma :)

Topical - A real nice scene captured there, with the lady walking into the frame with her phone oblivious of the busker, you did well for a first time street shot, nice low PoV and a great expression caught on the lady playing/singing, nice one (y)
Thanks very much Dean :)

Evening Emma

Love your shot for topical, the lady walking past looking at her phone rather then paying any attention the lade busking really adds to the story. A great effort for your first attempt at street photography and something I really need to try again
Thanks Mark - I look forward to seeing the results!

Hi Emma, that's a really good shot for Topical. I liked the description and agree with the majority of others that more of the "phone lady" would be great... maybe something to consider for the next street shot you do. I think you certainly have a talent for this sort of photography - you convey a real sense of story with that single image, which for me is the key to "street". Really nicely done :)
That is really kind of you Paul - beginner's luck I think! I wasn't aware of the lady with the phone walking into the frame until I had pressed the shutter - I might have to become a little bit more aware if I try it again!

Topical is a really nice shot, I also feel conscious with my camera whilst out and about.. The connection between the two women is good and adds to the image, one is a slave to the modern world whilst the other busker is trying to make ends meet. The wording ties in with the phone lady. Overall tells a story to me.

Beautiful image Emma and a very thought provoking shot. Love the composition and your descriptions is perfect statement of today's society.

Topical is a really nice shot, I also feel conscious with my camera whilst out and about.. The connection between the two women is good and adds to the image, one is a slave to the modern world whilst the other busker is trying to make ends meet. The wording ties in with the phone lady. Overall tells a story to me.

Thank you so much Stan and Lee - you do so well with your street shots if you feel self conscious, Lee!

I didn't have a lot of photography time this weekend, so had to make do with our garden. I had a few ideas for spring flower shots which were harder to pull off than I thought. The grape hyacinth were as close as I managed to get in high winds with little light - I was planning on trying some wide open shots anyway - good job given the conditions! I think my favourite of the weekend was the one of our chickens - a nightmare to photograph, but they do treat you with surprising compositions that could never have been planned for :)

The girls - just before bedtime
the girls by Em Jay, on Flickr

Grape hyacinth - a lovely sign of spring to come
peeping purple by Em Jay, on Flickr

It was a little blowy this weekend, wasn't it. That can't have helped with outdoor flower shots. I'll go with the hen shot I think, but it's a close run thing, I tink because of the implied action.

:agree: Nice lighting in both cases but I do like the detail in the hen and the implied action in the bg. :clap:

Love the early evening light on the chickens, they are tricky little characters to photo.
Grape hyacinth is lovely, a real burst of contrasting colours.

Hi Emma - lovely colours in both shots love the girls with great composition and sharpness of the shot. Sometimes though the classic shallowness of the hyacinth and the softness of the background is just a winner. Good shots both!

As others have said two good photos, I like the way the grape hyacinth is emerging through the surrounding foliage so for me it it prehaps has the edge for this theme

Hi Emma

I really like that chicken shot - it just works. DOF really has been your friend here and creates a great sense of "image". I don't even mind missing part of the background chicken's head. This could be a good stock photo by the way!

However, I also love the second image - the colour contrast works so well and the composition is great with the space at the top. Really, really good image again. Wow, you've got some brilliant photos so it makes it hard to choose between them!

I prefer the second image Emma, really nice and simple with just the 2 colours, that purple is really striking!

It was a little blowy this weekend, wasn't it. That can't have helped with outdoor flower shots. I'll go with the hen shot I think, but it's a close run thing, I tink because of the implied action.

A couple of lovely images there Emma !!!

I'm liking the lone purple flower popping out of the green dominant background, but for me the hens pic takes it for me, nicely separated chooks, and good to see a catch-light in the eye :)

:agree: Nice lighting in both cases but I do like the detail in the hen and the implied action in the bg. :clap:

Love the early evening light on the chickens, they are tricky little characters to photo.
Grape hyacinth is lovely, a real burst of contrasting colours.

Hi Emma - lovely colours in both shots love the girls with great composition and sharpness of the shot. Sometimes though the classic shallowness of the hyacinth and the softness of the background is just a winner. Good shots both!

As others have said two good photos, I like the way the grape hyacinth is emerging through the surrounding foliage so for me it it prehaps has the edge for this theme

Hi Emma

I really like that chicken shot - it just works. DOF really has been your friend here and creates a great sense of "image". I don't even mind missing part of the background chicken's head. This could be a good stock photo by the way!

However, I also love the second image - the colour contrast works so well and the composition is great with the space at the top. Really, really good image again. Wow, you've got some brilliant photos so it makes it hard to choose between them!

I prefer the second image Emma, really nice and simple with just the 2 colours, that purple is really striking!

Thanks so much for your very encouraging words everyone - it's nice that everyone has different ideas about their favourite :)

Love the black chicken with the other colours OOF in the BG. (y)

I feel the hyacinth could be a little sharper.

Last edited:
Loving the chicken shot! I like the dof and how all the chickens are different coloured.You have a lovely collection of chickens! :LOL:

Camo - lovely picture generally but after spotting the mouse it also adds a nice element of fun too - very nice

Danger(ous) - liking the bike one - great action / movement but perhaps a little too much fun to be that dangerous :D

Topical - two great images - the first quite heart warming with your back story and narrative - the second not so much, but very strong - well done

Living World - again two string contenders and cant pick a favorite - both lovely in their own way :)

I really like both images, but the chickens win on the fact that the 3 in the background all have their bottoms in the air, so its kind of like she is ignoring the bottom waving of her friends (or i need some sleep).

Back