weekly Foolycooly (Simon)'s 2021/52 attempt - Week 15 - Snappers Choice

Dirty
Was she persuaded to jump in the puddle?
Lovely action shot, great bright colours too.

I'm quite sure her pink trousers were less so by the end! Lovely shot of a kid being a kid - a bit of eye contact would have made it even better.

Sharp and frozen, well taken and a good shot.

Nicely taken image, great to capture the action - I do wonder if a bit of a crop off the top of the image may work and whether a lower PoV would have suited more(?)

Lovely image of her having fun in the puddle, did you get a shot of the boots when she took them off as i bet they needed a real good clean afterwards.

Nice one - but I'd lose the half a pooch at top right.

That looks like one of those puddles you can see someone jumping into and disappearing up to their neck :)

Cool action shot that might benefit from a bit of a crop to the top.

HaHa nice one, good action.

But I do think there's a lot of space up top that could be cropped off.

That must have been an early shot... her trousers aren't fully covered :). There's something about jumping in puddles that makes everyone smile..
I agree with @d00d it might benefit from a crop.

I'm quite sure her pink trousers were less so by the end! Lovely shot of a kid being a kid - a bit of eye contact would have made it even better.

Nicely frozen action there. As @Shugpug says, it would have been nice to have a bit of eye contact - but then kids eh??? ;)

I've been through the whole backlog and found a couple - she managed to blur on most where she looked at me
Sharp and frozen, well taken and a good shot.

Thanks!

Nicely taken image, great to capture the action - I do wonder if a bit of a crop off the top of the image may work and whether a lower PoV would have suited more(?)

That looks like one of those puddles you can see someone jumping into and disappearing up to their neck :)

Cool action shot that might benefit from a bit of a crop to the top.
Nice one - but I'd lose the half a pooch at top right.
HaHa nice one, good action.

But I do think there's a lot of space up top that could be cropped off.
That must have been an early shot... her trousers aren't fully covered :). There's something about jumping in puddles that makes everyone smile..
I agree with @d00d it might benefit from a crop.

I've re-processed a few and cropped a bit tighter - thanks for the feedback :)

Lovely image of her having fun in the puddle, did you get a shot of the boots when she took them off as i bet they needed a real good clean afterwards.

I didn't!, but they are still abandoned in the utility room along with mine, I'll get a shot of them later now they are nice and dried out! (didn'nt about it when I got back)

The entry works well, but I'd have been tempted to get a little lower. I really like the wide shot (#3 in the album), the shock of colour against the natural tones, the posture and the motion blur in the hands and hair are great.

Also like the wider shot (although it's less on-theme) as it adds context.

Jumping up and down in Muddy Puddles!! (if you know, you know)

Lovely shot all round. Nice colours too.

I think you chose the right one the muddy splashes and ripples are great in that one. Great image of childhood fun

Week 3: Rock / Stone.

With everyone else covered in Snow, I decided to venture out to the beach last night - it was gorgeous, clear night, hardly any clouds (bloody freezing) - the downside - the Moon was out, and was being particularly bright - so excuse the fact that its completely blown out. I did attempt some image stacking, but I need some more time playing with the software (any suggestions)

The below are some of the better single shots I managed to pull back in PP - I will look to re-edit these in the future, as editing is not one of my strong points.

IMG_9827.jpg
IMG_9820.jpg
IMG_9839.jpg
IMG_9848.jpg by Simon Stocks, on Flickr

I like night shots, and I really like #1.

Lovely use of the negative space in No1, its a stunning shot, really well done. Are you on the Suthwest coast (I ask because we seem to have lots of cruis ships hanging about until Covid is gone)

1st one definitely. How long did you have to wait for the moon to be directly in line with the jetty? Dedication, that's what this is.

I love the composition of #1.

Initially I thought I'd have liked to take a bit of the edge of the bright thing (boat?) on the horizon, but the more I look the more I'm fine with how much it stands out.

I like night shots, and I really like #1.

Thank you very much!

Lovely use of the negative space in No1, its a stunning shot, really well done. Are you on the Suthwest coast (I ask because we seem to have lots of cruis ships hanging about until Covid is gone)

Thank you! yeah - took this down at Branksome Dene in Bournemouth

1st one definitely. How long did you have to wait for the moon to be directly in line with the jetty? Dedication, that's what this is.

Might be overstating my dedication, totally didnt just rock up and take the shot - I'll claim it was perfect pre-planning, but no one that know me would believe me

I love the composition of #1.

Initially I thought I'd have liked to take a bit of the edge of the bright thing (boat?) on the horizon, but the more I look the more I'm fine with how much it stands out.

Thanks! I tried to tone it down in PP, and took lots of different shots to try and stack them, but I need to learn how to do it properly so gave up, and processed the best exposure of the sky

#1 is an interesting image .... my eye is drawn to the bright lights of the boat, which is probably not supposed to be the main subject.

I'm also a big fan of the first shot.

As to your question about image stacking or somehow achieving a balance of sky (moon) v subject, I think there are a few ways I can think of (and I'm certainly no expert).

The first, and probably best, is to try and do it in camera. A graduated ND filter might have helped calm the moon down a bit and reduce your PP work.

I don't have one of those, so my approach would be to shoot some which correctly exposed the jetty and some that correctly exposed the moon.

You could combine these in either Lightroom using the HDR function or Photoshop using masks or image stacking.

For that, it's a pretty easy process to automate, my concerns are if it doesn't work out, I don't know enough about using masks to sort it...

Essentially though, rather than OPEN the images in the usual way, way you go to FILE, then scroll down to SCRIPTS and LOAD FILES INTO STACK.

Once your images have imported, go to EDIT and AUTO-ALIGN images. And once that's done, go back to EDIT and AUTO-BLEND LAYERS.

In this instance, if that didn't work, it would be fairly easy to AUTO-ALIGN your images and use a graduated mask so that you have the jetty seamlessly blending into the correctly exposed sky.

You could even simply clone the moon from one of your other shots over the top of the blown out one. So you bring in the detail and leave the glow.

You could also use either LR or PS to straighten the horizon. ;)

Last edited:
Great choice and I really like the composition & lighting. I'm a bit of a fan of negative space and I think it works really well here with the moon balancing things at the top. Very nice indeed.

Rock
I quite like it. I think you could crop the moon out and it wouldn't detract from the image.

I struggle with night shots too, but these look pretty good to me. #1 is a nice simple image so a good choice for the thread.

stone/rock - some lovely night shots there I think you chose the right one for the main thread I like that the moon is central above the walk way.

Week 4: Tall

Bit of a cop out this week, and I've had to go back through some shots from earlier in the month, and shoe horn one into the ask - didnt get change to get out at all this week with work being mental.

IMG_1239.jpg by Simon Stocks, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like it, it has a very 'Lion King' kind of look to it. Nice job for the theme.

Ooh, I like that. They look like little creatures.

FlyPhot has hit the nail on the head though, you can imagine a herd of elephants wandering the bush in the background.

Back