weekly GarethB's 52 challenge for 2019 - Week 51 & 52 - CHRISTMASSY & OUTTAKES - FINISHED!

Fab shot for Short Gareth. Really well done and super sharp where it needs to be. Great colours too.

Thanks Lee, most appreciated!(y)

Great idea, colours and composition. An excellent take on the theme (why didn't I think of it?!!)

Thank you Mark!(y)

Short straw is a cool shot and nicely done too Gareth, you do a good job each time you use your black tile as imo they do come in handle. Great colours and another fine shot from you.

Thank you kindly Dave!(y)
Yep, that black tile has done me proud!

Week 46 - Environment(al)

(Click here to go back to the contents page)

Another bit of a struggle for me this week....sorry it's a bit late!:sorry:

I ended up just driving around Gt. Yarmouth, looking for something vaguely environmental....and as luck would have it, just as the sun was going down I spotted this...

TP-52-2019 wk-46 - Environmental 2
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

...they're brand new wind turbine blades awaiting delivery to a wind farm.
I thought they looked quite interesting, and they certainly have a strong environmental message about renewable energy sources.
I would have liked to have got the whole blades in the shot, but I was shooting through a mesh fence, and the background farther down the blades is far from pretty!

I also happened upon this scrapyard, in the 'not-so-environmental' back streets of Gt. Yarmouth.
I think it makes for an interesting counterpoint to the first image.

TP-52-2019 wk-46 - Environmental 1

...as always, thanks for looking folks.:)

Both nice shots - those milk bottles are HUGE!

Both work, I would probably crop a bit off the bottom of the scrapyard but thats being really picky, hard to choose between the two really.

Loving the the wind turbines shot Gareth, great having just a small bit showing.

Thank you kindly Dave!(y)

Both work, I would probably crop a bit off the bottom of the scrapyard but thats being really picky, hard to choose between the two really.

Thanks Allan, much appreciated.(y)
You're right, I should have cropped it...it's a bit bottom heavy now that I look again....funny how you don't see these things while you're 'in the moment'?!:giggle:

Both Good Images Gareth
I prefer the Turbine blades as it's not something we see every day like that, and unfortunatly the Scrappy is a far to common site, but I must admit it is a Tidy Scrappy yard and the setting sun make that one.

Pete

Both good but for me the scrapyard is favourite. Good opportunistic shots on theme.

Two very nice and apt shots there Gareth. The wind turbine blade shot is well composed and I don't think any more of the blade is needed. Spot on (y)

Thanks Lee, I appreciate the positive comment!(y)
If I had tried to get more of them in, then you would have been 'treated' to a 'lovely' view of Yarmouth docks....not a pretty sight!!:LOL:

I really like the scrapyard one with the digger against the sky. Very nice.

Thank you kindly Joan!(y)
I was hoping to wait and catch a more impressive sunset , but the scrapyard entrance is right on a main road, and I was getting honked at a lot, for some reason!:D

Both Good Images Gareth
I prefer the Turbine blades as it's not something we see every day like that, and unfortunatly the Scrappy is a far to common site, but I must admit it is a Tidy Scrappy yard and the setting sun make that one.

Pete

Thank you Pete, most appreciated!(y)
It is indeed surprisingly tidy, considering it is situated in the rough end of Yarmouth!
Oh, who am I kidding....all of Yarmouth is rough!!:LOL:

Both good but for me the scrapyard is favourite. Good opportunistic shots on theme.

Thank you most kindly Lindsay, I appreciate the kind comments!(y)

Week 47 - Far

This theme was a bit of a head-scratcher for me, until I thought about just how long I have spent on some of the setups I have done in the past!

So may I present:

'Far too much spare time!;)

TP-52-2019 wk-47 - Far 1

This is more than a little reminiscent of my wk 10 (Free - SOOC) image!
And if you think they look a bit like toilet roll tubes, then you'd be right!
In fact, it could also quite easily be interpreted as 'Far too many toilet roll tubes':D

Last edited:
Week 47 - Far

This theme was a bit of a head-scratcher for me, until I thought about just how long I have spent on some of the setups I have done in the past!

So may I present:

'Far too much spare time!;)

TP-52-2019 wk-47 - Far 1

This is more than a little reminiscent of my wk 10 (Free - SOOC) image!
And if you think they look a bit like tiolet roll tubes, then you'd be right!
In fact, it could also quite easily be interpreted as 'Far too many toilet roll tubes':D

It took me a minute - I thought balls to start with!

Very clever, and abstract. Love the repeated pattern and use of colour.

I initially thought balls too :angelic:

I liked it a lot more when I clicked for the bigger version - this one needs that bigger view and it's a belter :)

Hi Gareth

One has to question why you have so many empty toilet roll tubes, do you have a very bad case of the runs, in which case you would not have that much spare time.:oops: :$:oops: :$

Pete
Another good Image, 1st thought was coloured tennis balls as well. Very abstract.

It took me a minute - I thought balls to start with!

Very clever, and abstract. Love the repeated pattern and use of colour.

Thank you kindly Grant!(y)
Yep...it's a load of balls...I mean tubes!!:LOL:

I initially thought balls too :angelic:

I liked it a lot more when I clicked for the bigger version - this one needs that bigger view and it's a belter :)

Many thanks Dave!
Nowt wrong with a load of big ol' balls!!:LOL:

Hi Gareth

One has to question why you have so many empty toilet roll tubes, do you have a very bad case of the runs, in which case you would not have that much spare time.:oops: :$:oops: :$

Pete
Another good Image, 1st thought was coloured tennis balls as well. Very abstract.

Thanks most kindly Pete!
I don't really know why, but I had been collecting those toilet roll tubes for a while...I knew (hoped?) they would come in handy for something...other than the obvious reason!!:LOL:

Love it and glad to say I knew it was rolls but not toilet ones. Too many currys does that to you :D Cracking colours and love how you have done it.

Thank you very much Dave!
I do love the odd curry...(not odd in that way, but occasional!:D)...and yes I managed to harvest a good few during my recent curry binges...I'll sort of skip over that part if you don't mind!!:LOL:

I agree with all the above another good image well thought out and executed

Thanks Allan, most appreciated!(y)

I too thought they were balls! You definitely need a Blue Peter badge now @GarethB !! Lighting is sublime. Congrats to you.

Thank you kindly Joan for the nice comment, most appreciated!(y)
I did in fact use some double sided sticky tape too...it's worrying how skilled I am with toilet roll tubes and sticky tape!:LOL:
...far too much spare time!!;)

I have no idea what they were initially and what's the image about and how's that related to the theme. I think you are that you have far too much spare time or your line of thoughts is far too gone. :LOL:.

Very good effort, by the way. :clap:

Many thanks Stan for the positive comment!

You're right....I'm a lost cause!!:LOL:

Far, superb shot as always :)

Week 48 - Play)ing)

After quickly realising that 'Playing with fire' was ultimately going to prove way to dangerous for a clumsy idiot like me :sorry:, I decided to go with:

'Playing solo...or maybe it's just playing a sax...or even playing a sax solo!'

Actually, it's technically none of these, since I'm not actually playing it at all! I'm hopeless!:LOL:
I borrowed the instrument from my Mum, who very kindly showed me how to hold it and look moderately convincing!

TP-52-2019 wk-48 - Play(ing)

I totally love this shot as I totally love the saxophone ( Baker Street ), like that you did not include the top half plus the BG colour sets it off to a T. Great job done Gareth :clap:

Thank you so much Dave, really appreciate it!(y)
I was thinking you might like it...correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that you might be into Sax/Jazz shots!!:p

Thank you so much Dave, really appreciate it!(y)
I was thinking you might like it...correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that you might be into Sax/Jazz shots!!:p

Only for me, but jazz is even better when you have a good sax player in it (y)
I don`t take a lot of jazz shots though :D

I'm catching up here, all of the images on this page are belters! Really nice stuff here Gareth

Week 48 - Play)ing)

After quickly realising that 'Playing with fire' was ultimately going to prove way to dangerous for a clumsy idiot like me :sorry:, I decided to go with:

'Playing solo...or maybe it's just playing a sax...or even playing a sax solo!'

Actually, it's technically none of these, since I'm not actually playing it at all! I'm hopeless!:LOL:
I borrowed the instrument from my Mum, who very kindly showed me how to hold it and look moderately convi
TP-52-2019 wk-48 - Play(ing) by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

I like the shot, but the background eaves )a little to be desired :)

I like the shot, but the background eaves )a little to be desired :)

Thanks Rick.(y)
Sorry you don't like the background...I was going for a smoky/jazzy atmosphere, but maybe it's a little oversaturated.

Nice image, and lovely contrasting colours between the blue and the brass. I assume a blue gel on the backdrop flash?

Thank you Grant, most appreciated.(y)
You are correct, one blue gel flash behind me facing the camera (and a liberal application of 'smoke-in-a-can'), and another flash (no gel) with an umbrella for a softer fill in the front, and to highlight the brass.

Loved the lighting on the jazz shot Gareth. Addition of a couple of joss sticks to add the smoky touch might have helped but a cracking shot as it stands.

Nice bit o'Sax :)

Biased here as my youngest plays Alto and Soprano in a professional big band :)

You've posted yet another belter Gareth! Love the shot, love the lighting and the BG works perfectly with the blue complimenting the colour of the sax. Very well thought out and executed. :clap:

Yet another Great Shot Gareth, Love the background colour and the shine on the saxaphone. Top Notch

Pete

Back