weekly gman's 52 for 2020 - Week 46 Narrow

Different perspective and a little later on. A little more restraint on the PP.

View attachment 285027
hmmm I think the first does have more drama - it does feel like the end of the world is nigh - could almost imagine a nuclear explosion bottom right.... in the second there is hope with the calmer sky to the right. I think the first composition works a little better too with the windmill on the third. Interesting processing in both that really does add drama.

Week 27 Signs & Juxtaposition [technique]

My initial idea was to photograph the "BEWARE OF THE DOGS" sign at the back of the garden with a cat sitting on top of the fence directly above it, which would have made for a lovely juxtaposition shot. But getting a friend's cat to do this may have been challenging and waiting for a natural shot to present itself could involve a very long wait!

So alas it was not to be, then I spotted this on a warm summer's day and an idea formed, perhaps? :thinking:

Signs - Juxtaposition.jpg

It works for me Graham, well spotted (y)

Nice angle and shooting into the sun can’t of been easy, well spotted

Mother Nature - It certainly look dramatic I like it.

Sign - I like the angle you've shot this at.

Splendid submissions all round. The processing and framing of your snappers choice is excellent.

Mother Nature - It certainly look dramatic I like it.

Sign - I like the angle you've shot this at.

What's the saying in the film as in the movie world? Never work with children and animals!!!

I think you have captured both the theme and technique spot on. Like the way you shoot low down to have not just the blue sky but also the sun in the frame.

Splendid submissions all round. The processing and framing of your snappers choice is excellent.

Thanks all, very kind comments. :)

Definitely fits the both theme and tech. Cats will always do the opposite of what you want :LOL:

Week 28 Secure

A bit of a double whammy; not only is it a very secure facility, but it is also responsible for keeping the United Kingdom secure.

I present, Her Majesty's Naval Base, Clyde. More commonly known as 'Faslane'.

Nothing too fancy I'm afraid and vantage points are limited, but I did try a technique which is new to me for the first time if anyone can guess? :)

HMNB Clyde Resized.jpg

Now I know what it looks like having heard it mentioned on the shipping forecast. I'm surprised you weren't followed or arrested - they usually keep a stringent eye out for anyone with a camera pointed in their direction. Both lovely shots, particularly #1 with the light on the hills.
Panorama by any chance?

Now I know what it looks like having heard it mentioned on the shipping forecast. I'm surprised you weren't followed or arrested - they usually keep a stringent eye out for anyone with a camera pointed in their direction. Both lovely shots, particularly #1 with the light on the hills.
Panorama by any chance?

Thanks, I think they are used to people taking photos and they usually just pop by perhaps just to grab your registration plate or something?

I wanted to do a gritty B&W of the main gate with the guards, they would probably have been ok with it but it was just guys in hi-vis and not full on troops so I wouldn't have got the effect I wanted.

It is a panoramic but my first time doing a large stitch. I think it's about 18 shots but my goodness PS is amazing at auto stitching. They were all handheld!

A good friend of mine from university lived in Helensburgh so I recognise that view - you got a lovely moment there with very nice light, and a definitely West Scotland sky!

A good friend of mine from university lived in Helensburgh so I recognise that view - you got a lovely moment there with very nice light, and a definitely West Scotland sky!

Thanks, it's was just chance that I happened upon that view whilst enjoying a quick blast on the twisty roads. It's nice when occurrences of chance happen like that!

Clyde. More commonly known as 'Faslane'.
Ah so that's it, I too have heard of it, but no idea what it was.
Nice Pano's Graham.

Now there's a view I recognise! I spent a very happy few years working there, lovely surroundings, great for cycling/walking etc. I prefer the image from the other side of the water as the atmosphere of the mountains in the background really add to it. Nicely done.

Ah so that's it, I too have heard of it, but no idea what it was.
Nice Pano's Graham.

Thanks! It's probably not the most windswept and interesting of bases compared to those which may have lots of hardware visible, but the location does allow for some pretty unhindered photos.

Now there's a view I recognise! I spent a very happy few years working there, lovely surroundings, great for cycling/walking etc. I prefer the image from the other side of the water as the atmosphere of the mountains in the background really add to it. Nicely done.

Thanks, it's been a long time since I last photographed it. I'm tempted to revisit at night as I think it lights up pretty well. Although Grangemouth may be a better contender for that.

spot on for the theme and an impressive stitch, 18 shots :jawdrop:

Haha you would think but Photoshop made easy work of it and all I had to do was my usual processing afterwards.

My main issue was whether to edit the raws individually first and then stitch, or to stitch and then have less wriggle room / data with adjusting the result. But as the panoramic element was the primary feature, I wasn't intending to adjust very much so I chose the latter.

Week 29 Personal

Nothing special, just Sandbraes in Whiting Bay, Arran with Holy Isle in the background. Lots of memories, so quite personal to me.

Whiting Bay.jpg

Works nicely as a pano, good composition.

Thanks, I'm working from a laptop which I hate doing editing on due to the inconsistencies with the screen angle. I also forgot my tripod. Well, now accurately I couldn't fit it in because the wife like to move half the house each time we come here. :rolleyes::mad:

Nice Pano Graham (y)

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. Sorry I don't have very much time to reciprocate at the moment but will try to catch up soon.

Back